Home

Are people getting lazy or what?

Posted By: waggler

Are people getting lazy or what? - 01/26/20 05:40 AM

I couldn't believe it when I saw this, it works out to $8 a dozen. [Linked Image]
Posted By: 10bands

Re: Are people getting lazy or what? - 01/26/20 05:43 AM

Yeah well boiling water is dangerous. Can't be too careful.
Posted By: Wild_Idaho

Re: Are people getting lazy or what? - 01/26/20 05:55 AM

Unfortunately I think the answer is yes. If people wouldn't pay that because it's a ridiculous price they wouldn't be selling it for that.
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Are people getting lazy or what? - 01/26/20 06:09 AM

It's not cheap to print Certified Humane raised and handled on the package.
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Are people getting lazy or what? - 01/26/20 06:12 AM

They are “organic “. Says so right on the package.
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Are people getting lazy or what? - 01/26/20 06:27 AM

Lol....used to work at a huge paper mill. They had a cafeteria. I used to get some nice clean 5gal buckets for free from the cafeteria. They had come into the cafeteria loaded with hard boiled eggs. I thought this was kinda strange , but the employee there told me they would buy them from their food supplier (sysco) for just a tad over the cost over raw eggs. Those ones in the OP's post are seriously overpriced. It costs very little for hard boiled and peeled eggs with modern food processing equipment.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Are people getting lazy or what? - 01/26/20 12:59 PM

I like the non-GMO label. People are not only lazy, they're stupid.
Posted By: 12 point

Re: Are people getting lazy or what? - 01/26/20 01:20 PM

Lazy and stupid!
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Are people getting lazy or what? - 01/26/20 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by wissmiss
They are “organic “. Says so right on the package.

laugh
Posted By: beachcomber13

Re: Are people getting lazy or what? - 01/26/20 01:26 PM

No doubt, 8 bucks a dozen is crazy..buuuut, if you're traveling and can't cook, 3 for breakfast, 3 for lunch, 2 dollars per meal.
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Are people getting lazy or what? - 01/26/20 01:31 PM

It would of saved Cool Hand Luke some time!
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Are people getting lazy or what? - 01/26/20 01:37 PM

It seems like the Millennials will spend money on anything to save time. I don't get it either... I also picture some guy saying the same thing in 1930's when frozen food took off and again in the 1950's when TV dinners kicked-off.
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: Are people getting lazy or what? - 01/26/20 01:39 PM

I don't know if I'd label people as lazy (or stupid) based upon a single purchase.

People can be busy creatures, each with different values and skill sets. Like Clint Eastwood said, "A man has to know his limitations".

In the case of the eggs. Perfectly hard cooked/peeled eggs,, is fairly quick and simple....if you know the tricks. If you:
  • don't know
  • are too busy to find out
  • need something in a hurry
  • have the money
  • a product is readily available
that could be a perfect solution. If you've ever seen some of the unappetizing results of improperly prepared hard cooked eggs you'd know what I mean.

Re: Are people getting lazy or what? - 01/26/20 01:43 PM

They come from Boneless Skinless chickens grin

Re: Are people getting lazy or what? - 01/26/20 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by T-Rex
I don't know if I'd label people as lazy (or stupid) based upon a single purchase.

People can be busy creatures, each with different values and skill sets. Like Clint Eastwood said, "A man has to know his limitations".

In the case of the eggs. Perfectly hard cooked/peeled eggs,, is fairly quick and simple....if you know the tricks. If you:
  • don't know
  • are too busy to find out
  • need something in a hurry
  • have the money
  • a product is readily available
that could be a perfect solution. If you've ever seen some of the unappetizing results of improperly prepared hard cooked eggs you'd know what I mean.

I see your point T-Rex, and it is legitimate. But I just can't get past the "don't know how, and too busy to find out" points. We're talking about hard boiling eggs here, not rocket science.
grin
Posted By: JTaddeo

Re: Are people getting lazy or what? - 01/26/20 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
They come from Boneless Skinless chickens grin

Hahahahaha......no doubt.

I worked as a maintenance mechanic for five years in a plant for a major corporate "food" producer....I will never eat those again. (no I won't openly bash them in public)

I'm sure if saw what was going on in any of the food manufacturer's plants that I would have to stop eating their stuff too.

Then I'm reminded of my childhood and the sandbox days, no telling what we've actually consumed. eek

Regardless I believe that I can taste/sense TLC in home grown and cooked food and meals.

Nothing even comes close to the taste of my garden grown vegetables. I need to raise some chickens and maybe rabbits.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Are people getting lazy or what? - 01/26/20 02:08 PM

We can argue if people are lazy or not and that gives many of us great joy to feel that we are the hard workers in the world, but as we dis the lazy people we need to realize that someone with some insight is working hard to find a way to turn a 50 cents per dozen eggs into five times that value. Seeing where the culture is heading and acting upon that is what business minded individuals have done for centuries. Also if this turns out to be a dud what is the investment that was needed? Some organic eggs, some cooking, some plastic and a bit of marketing. I think many would feel that was a low risk venture.

Bryce
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Are people getting lazy or what? - 01/26/20 02:14 PM

I remember when they started selling bottled water.......everyone thought it was ridiculous to sell water! Now look at the bottled water market....It's the convenience.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Are people getting lazy or what? - 01/26/20 02:17 PM

It’s a I want it now world so we can get back to our phones.
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: Are people getting lazy or what? - 01/26/20 02:23 PM

Does kind of come down to.....Do you make your own trapping lure or are you lazy and buy it??? Do you grow your own garden or buy things??
It's kind of one them things like the chips and candy bars right by the check out.. Handy so I'll grab it and then of course the price is what it is because you want the convenience..
The flip side of this is I often make my own things. Sometimes I'm sure it cost me more than if I'd bought it. I like doing things for myself.
Them eggs at that price I'd walk by them.. I would bet though if coon were selling at 1979 prices. Some one told a trapper them eggs was a sure deal bait. they'd be grabbing them up at that price.

Mac
Posted By: Muskrat

Re: Are people getting lazy or what? - 01/26/20 02:32 PM

Mac -- which bar was it down on third Street, can't recall now but back in the 70s they had a sign that offered Boneless Chicken Dinners for fifty cents. And of course it was a hard boiled egg.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Are people getting lazy or what? - 01/26/20 02:32 PM

And they come from stores not chickens so no animals harmed.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Are people getting lazy or what? - 01/26/20 02:33 PM

You wouldn't believe how many lazy hunters pay to have their game processed. blush

Re: Are people getting lazy or what? - 01/26/20 02:36 PM

I see food like that and all I think is how much chemicals does it take to keep it from going bad and did they use enough of it. Either way I’m not eating it.
Just like Wally World meat no butchers all prepackaged and you can taste the preservatives looks good but taste bad.

Re: Are people getting lazy or what? - 01/26/20 02:39 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My neighbor has chickens. He spends more than this to get eggs from his chickens , obviously the eggs he has are much better , much fresher , tasty and you know how they are raised and taken care of properly.
Posted By: Muskrat

Re: Are people getting lazy or what? - 01/26/20 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Dirt
You wouldn't believe how many lazy hunters pay to have their game processed. blush

While attending school on the GI Bill in La Crosse word got around I knew how to clean ducks and leave skin on without any fuzz. These well to do hunters from somewhere got me a milkbox and said they'd pay me whatever it was back then to clean their ducks, bag 'em, freeze 'em, and they'd call and let me know when they were coming back through so I could leave their birds in the milkbox on the porch. Then I'd come home and find money in an envelope. Worked for me and must've worked for them.
Posted By: walleye101

Re: Are people getting lazy or what? - 01/26/20 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by bblwi
We can argue if people are lazy or not and that gives many of us great joy to feel that we are the hard workers in the world, but as we dis the lazy people we need to realize that someone with some insight is working hard to find a way to turn a 50 cents per dozen eggs into five times that value. Seeing where the culture is heading and acting upon that is what business minded individuals have done for centuries. Also if this turns out to be a dud what is the investment that was needed? Some organic eggs, some cooking, some plastic and a bit of marketing. I think many would feel that was a low risk venture.

Bryce

Anyone else catch the irony of taking an organic product, wrapping it in plastic, then marketing the product as "organic"?

Re: Are people getting lazy or what? - 01/26/20 03:16 PM

Put a farm egg next to a sale egg and they are easy to tell apart one is a off yellow the other looks like a sunrise. Cheap feeds must be the difference the stores must sell at a loss if they sell for under a dollar is what my Hoot buddy says. I always offer him good eggs just to see the look on his face.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Are people getting lazy or what? - 01/26/20 03:19 PM

How can we be lazy, we have shake and bake, hamburger helper, TV dinners, cake mixes, caned soups, ect. You know it is hard opening those cans and boxes. JMO

Vote
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Are people getting lazy or what? - 01/26/20 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog

This^^^^^. Jerry nailed it! lol

Re: Are people getting lazy or what? - 01/26/20 03:26 PM

The one thing that prepped food has is common is it taste bad but people will eat it anyway. Grandmother had a juicer and fresh carrots in her garden I loved carrot juice seen a vending machine years later that had canned carrot juice in it. No idea what it tasted like but it was not a carrot it tasted more like the can it came in. Nasty
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Are people getting lazy or what? - 01/26/20 03:29 PM

When I was working on the road and living in a travel trailer we would buy them for whipping up tuna salad sandwiches for lunch... They used up less space than the 6 pack styro carton in our shoebox-sized refrigerator. And they saved some time after 12+ hours on the job... I know... Lazy. Lol

But I'm pretty sure the eggs we bought were just eggs... not virtue signals in a bag.

Mike

Re: Are people getting lazy or what? - 01/26/20 04:19 PM

Put a farm egg next to a sale egg and they are easy to tell apart one is a off yellow the other looks like a sunrise. Cheap feeds must be the difference the stores must sell at a loss if they sell for under a dollar is what my Hoot buddy says. I always offer him good eggs just to see the look on his face.

The fresh ones taste WAY better. True about yolk color. Whenever I need eggs , I go next door to my neighbor , I buy him bags of feed to exchange the deal. One thing too , fresh eggs , when you hard boil them , the shell sticks like glue. I've tried every trick in the book to make them peel easy but it's just because they are fresh. When I need hard boiled eggs I buy raw eggs from the supermarket and boil them myself. They don't stick because they are old , can be 3-6 months old. A lot of people don't know that the eggs in the market are that old.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Are people getting lazy or what? - 01/26/20 04:26 PM

yes absolutely , so many don't even know how to cook a simple meal . only open a package.

I worked the food bank for a while , if it wasn't a package that could be opened and heated it was often left.

potatoes , beans , meat that was frozen as it was about to expire there was actual a lot of , but people didn't know how to use it.

there was always a pallet of pinto beans in Mylar bags that you could basically take as much as you wanted and occasionally some one took a bag.

t
Posted By: white17

Re: Are people getting lazy or what? - 01/26/20 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by waggler
I couldn't believe it when I saw this, it works out to $8 a dozen. [Linked Image]

Those things would sell out in a heart beat here !!

At that price I'll bet the local store would sell at least 100 bags in the first 8 hours.

One "fresh" egg here cost 50 cents....but there haven't been any eggs at all for the last three weeks.... until yesterday.

I would not choose to eat them but the majority would IMO.

Re: Are people getting lazy or what? - 01/26/20 04:39 PM

Bryce

This is a great point.

Re: Are people getting lazy or what? - 01/26/20 04:49 PM

I suck at peeling eggs and don't have a resident egg peeler at the house. I crack my eggs and fry them and sometimes make an omlette. My consumption of hard boiled eggs.is limited to when I'm at a salad bar.

Hardly a measure of ambition.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Are people getting lazy or what? - 01/26/20 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
I remember when they started selling bottled water.......everyone thought it was ridiculous to sell water! Now look at the bottled water market....It's the convenience.

I guess I'm one of those dinosaurs who still thinks it's ridiculous to pay for something that is essentially free anyway.
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: Are people getting lazy or what? - 01/26/20 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by walleye101

Bryce

Anyone else catch the irony of taking an organic product, wrapping it in plastic, then marketing the product as "organic"?

I agree eggs are much better wrapped in chicken! LOL Old school enough to be organic????
Probably have to be some kinda paper carton wax lined..Then of course you couldn't see them and how yummy they look..

Mac

Re: Are people getting lazy or what? - 01/26/20 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by waggler
Originally Posted by Gary Benson

I guess I'm one of those dinosaurs who still thinks it's ridiculous to pay for something that is essentially free anyway.

I'm one of those dinosaurs that believes if you earned you can spend it any way you want. A thought that predates man.
Posted By: Marty

Re: Are people getting lazy or what? - 01/26/20 05:52 PM

Short answer is:
Yes.
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: Are people getting lazy or what? - 01/26/20 06:09 PM

I'm diabetic. Hard boiled eggs are a great snack with no carbs. I buy them already hard boiled by the dozen. I don't pay organic prices but I am that lazy. I've got a full time job, two part time businesses, and responsibilities at my church and my family. Egg boiling time had to go. Besides, I could never get the eggs just right when I boil them myself. Yolks are too yellow or turn green, shells stick to the whites. Let the experts do the hard work for me.
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: Are people getting lazy or what? - 01/26/20 06:14 PM

Nobody asked me, but, I'm going to tell you, anyway.

This is how to make perfect hard cooked eggs:
  • boil or steam eggs for 11-12 minutes (I prefer to steam because less water to come to a boil)
  • drop hot eggs into ice water (I do a dozen at a time, and they all fit in a 46oz juice can)
  • wait 2-3 minutes
  • tap ends on counter then roll with just a little pressure
  • grab at any fracture point, and the whole shell comes off like a prom dress.
If you don't have perfect separation, your eggs are just a little too fresh.

Again, no one asked, but, from there they get sprinkled with my super secret spice mix and tossed into the cold smoker for an hour.
Posted By: Furvor

Re: Are people getting lazy or what? - 01/26/20 06:50 PM

Just put premixed garlic salt on it. Few cooks these days know how to proportion their own garlic and salt.

Re: Are people getting lazy or what? - 01/26/20 10:20 PM

;)Yep

Re: Are people getting lazy or what? - 01/26/20 10:28 PM

I’m so lazy I married a woman with kids. whistle

Re: Are people getting lazy or what? - 01/26/20 10:31 PM

LOL

Re: Are people getting lazy or what? - 01/26/20 11:44 PM

Hahaha Wow
Posted By: seniortrap

Re: Are people getting lazy or what? - 01/27/20 12:07 AM

My daughters always claim what their eating will be Non-GMO!

I asked my youngest daughter why not GMO?

"Things have been modified from the normal"!

I said to her all you kids are GMO!?! She just stared at me, then said "yes, I guess so"!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums