Home

Dry land beaver set

Posted By: Rockfarmer

Dry land beaver set - 01/26/20 05:25 PM

Need help. Beaver wreaking havoc on my place and the neighbors. I have zero experience trying to trap them. Can I catch them with bridger 330's on dry land? Thinking of trying to set by trees they are chewing and any slides I can identify. Any and all help and advice is appreciated.

Re: Dry land beaver set - 01/26/20 05:26 PM

and the bridgers are offset.
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Dry land beaver set - 01/26/20 05:35 PM

Hate to sound like a Game Warden but check your regulations. The water archives has a ton of how to on beaver as well.Basic sets
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Dry land beaver set - 01/26/20 05:35 PM

You need to check your trapping regs. Never seen an offset 330. I doubt they'd sell very well. laugh

Re: Dry land beaver set - 01/26/20 05:39 PM

sorry #3's . And I will check regs
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Dry land beaver set - 01/26/20 05:44 PM

do they have channels in the water where they come to dry land?
Posted By: Wild_Idaho

Re: Dry land beaver set - 01/26/20 05:47 PM

I set an otter toilet that was a ways back and up higher than the river and guarded the entrance slide with a 220 and then set the toilet with a Victor #4. A beaver of all things hit the toilet, got caught in the Victor #4 and set off the 220 but didn't get caught in it.

[Linked Image]

Re: Dry land beaver set - 01/26/20 05:51 PM

We have a big creek that borders us on the west and north sides. That's where they are coming from. Banks on my side are 15-20 feet tall and extremely steep. They are hitting trees 20- 40 yards up on the land.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Dry land beaver set - 01/26/20 06:34 PM

If snares are legal in MO I would be acquiring some of those.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Dry land beaver set - 01/26/20 06:41 PM

There is no need to, nor should you intentionally set a foothold on dry land for a beaver, that is very likely to result in a wring-off.

Find where their trails are coming out of the water and set the trap attached to a slide cable which is anchored to a gunny sack of rocks in at least four feet of water.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Dry land beaver set - 01/26/20 06:51 PM

100% correct^^^^^^
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Dry land beaver set - 01/26/20 07:09 PM

Sit wait shoot
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Dry land beaver set - 01/26/20 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Drifter
Hate to sound like a Game Warden but check your regulations. The water archives has a ton of how to on beaver as well.Basic sets

This^^^

Re: Dry land beaver set - 01/26/20 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
Sit wait shoot

sounding like this might be my best bet. any idea what are their main movement times
Posted By: Boco

Re: Dry land beaver set - 01/26/20 07:33 PM

Best time to shoot beavers is an hour or so before dark.They often make an appearance in the evening,but in the fall they are active all day.
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Dry land beaver set - 01/26/20 07:55 PM

Do you have a trapper local that does beaver? You would be farther ahead to at least talk to one with experience. You may well get a couple by shooting BUT educate the others in the process. I have followed behind a couple others and an educated beaver is no fun to deal with.

Re: Dry land beaver set - 01/26/20 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Drifter
Do you have a trapper local that does beaver? You would be farther ahead to at least talk to one with experience. You may well get a couple by shooting BUT educate the others in the process. I have followed behind a couple others and an educated beaver is no fun to deal with.

Good idea. Any Southwest Missouri beaver trappers, please pm me. you can also have all the coyotes, bobcats, coon and grinners you want! 75 acres and can probably get you a lot more.
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Dry land beaver set - 01/26/20 08:23 PM

If snares are legal, as already mentioned, I'd be for setting those with a conventional stake if you have enough soil to sink i in--- in sw MO that may be an issue. Or snare at the water's edge as J Staton posted last week. SD State Trappes take a lot of beavs on the down slope edges of corn field uptop and the waterway below using snares.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums