Home

shotgun for yotes

Posted By: AKAjust

shotgun for yotes - 01/26/20 05:34 PM

I've seen in videos where sometimes its best to use a shotgun for yotes. Calling where the yote id close up. What size shot is best for that kind of shot?
just
Posted By: pcr2

Re: shotgun for yotes - 01/26/20 05:37 PM

i'm a #4 buckshot guy.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: shotgun for yotes - 01/26/20 05:44 PM

I've had surprising success with #2 and BB but have used 4buck also
Posted By: Prn

Re: shotgun for yotes - 01/26/20 06:01 PM

Throw whatever buckshot will pattern well in your gun.
Posted By: pintail_drake04

Re: shotgun for yotes - 01/26/20 06:14 PM

I have skinned a lot of yotes with #2's and BB's just under their hide. I like 4 buck and 00 in my shotgun.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: shotgun for yotes - 01/26/20 06:16 PM

I have much more luck with a rifle myself.Was losing to many with a shotgun.I tried all the different shot sizes.
Posted By: NebrCatMan

Re: shotgun for yotes - 01/26/20 06:24 PM

I use 3" and 3.5" 12 gauge with #4 buck. I would use copper coated BB s but I can't find it in 3.5" usually. Bad thing about the big shells using buck shot is the price. Hevi shot makes a 3.5" Dead Coyote load or used to. Trouble is it got to be around $3 a shell. I use full choke so I was told never use steel. Lead will get your range a little farther anyway. Good Luck !!
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: shotgun for yotes - 01/26/20 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by pintail_drake04
I have skinned a lot of yotes with #2's and BB's just under their hide. I like 4 buck and 00 in my shotgun.

I will say with a shotgun I always shoot for the head.
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: shotgun for yotes - 01/26/20 07:07 PM

#2 shot works best for me on heavy winter fur....Buckshot tends to mat in the fur, impeding penetration.
Also like a turkey type camo shotgun...Benelli M1 Super 90 is about perfect.

Call from within cover, hunt the woods and thick stuff while minimizing open field type stands.

Hand calls are all that's really needed, keeps the weight down, keeps it simple.

Shotgunning them in close is an adrenalin charge, great fun, plus satisfying and exciting.
Posted By: coloradocat

Re: shotgun for yotes - 01/26/20 07:44 PM

Im on the last of my Hevi-Shot Dead coyote I bought years ago. Love the stuff, just cant afford to shoot it anymore. Bought a couple of cases of the Hornady BB from Les Johnson and shoots as well out of my shotgun. #4 buck if in 3" and not 2 3/4.

Im a firm believer in your missing coyotes if you dont have a shotgun on stand, plus its cool as heck to shotgun them. And yes, you still miss with a shotgun.
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: shotgun for yotes - 01/26/20 07:44 PM

4buck,1buck,00,#2 shot. 2 3/4,3 and 3.5in will all kill em good. Keep shots under 50 yrds
Posted By: adam m

Re: shotgun for yotes - 01/26/20 07:47 PM

I recently got Hornady Coyote magnum. I haven't patterned it yet but if it's like the Hornady Turkey magnum it will be great.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: shotgun for yotes - 01/26/20 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Prn
Throw whatever buckshot will pattern well in your gun.

Exactly
Posted By: IDTrapman

Re: shotgun for yotes - 01/26/20 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by adam m
I recently got Hornady Coyote magnum. I haven't patterned it yet but if it's like the Hornady Turkey magnum it will be great.

I've done quite a bit of testing and the Hornady Coyote Magnum (3" BB) worked best for my gun. Using a Carlson's "Coyote" choke tube.
Posted By: 10bands

Re: shotgun for yotes - 01/26/20 08:44 PM

I'm a fan of #4 buck. I got lucky on my second test load. 3" Federal premium copper plated patterns very well with my gun/choke setup.
Posted By: charles

Re: shotgun for yotes - 01/26/20 09:43 PM

40 years ago the ammo companies produced #1 buck in 3” mag. 0 and 1 were both common loads. For a while you could get 000, which I liked for deer.

All I see now are 00 and 4buckshot.
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: shotgun for yotes - 01/26/20 09:53 PM

Interesting thread, and I have to ask, Walmart yesterday had Winchester Super X, 12 ga. 3 and 3 1/2 steel waterfowl loads for $7.00 in #2 and BB box of 25. I have a coyote bait station to hunt at my cabin, long shot would be 65 yards. I have been taking my .22 LR with 1640 fps segmented, sometimes my .223 handi rifle single. But using a shotgun may be better at night. Thoughts on the on sale waterfowl steel shot?? In this setup.
Posted By: adam m

Re: shotgun for yotes - 01/26/20 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by IDTrapman
Originally Posted by adam m

I've done quite a bit of testing and the Hornady Coyote Magnum (3" BB) worked best for my gun. Using a Carlson's "Coyote" choke tube.

Awesome. That it's good to hear
Posted By: seniortrap

Re: shotgun for yotes - 01/27/20 12:16 AM

I just purchased a Carlson choke for my Maverick 88 pump.

I'll try it out soon. I needed the 2 3/4" 12 Gauge - #4 buck to be closer together at 50-60 yards.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: shotgun for yotes - 01/27/20 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Feedinggrounds
Interesting thread, and I have to ask, Walmart yesterday had Winchester Super X, 12 ga. 3 and 3 1/2 steel waterfowl loads for $7.00 in #2 and BB box of 25. I have a coyote bait station to hunt at my cabin, long shot would be 65 yards. I have been taking my .22 LR with 1640 fps segmented, sometimes my .223 handi rifle single. But using a shotgun may be better at night. Thoughts on the on sale waterfowl steel shot?? In this setup.

Steel barely kills ducks...do not use steel for anything else unless government mandated.
Any #2 HTL shot will kill them out to 50 yards if patterned correctly. My 20ga turkey gun kills them at 30+ with #9 TSS.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: shotgun for yotes - 01/27/20 12:38 AM

Though my sp10 magnum I like 00 buck.
Posted By: Bearguy

Re: shotgun for yotes - 01/27/20 06:09 AM

A friend of mine's son does aerial gunning for the government. They were required years ago to switch to steel shot. He said it worked surprisingly well, because it didn't deform and flatten out. The steel didn't wad up with the hair, and instead cut through the hair and then had good penetration. I haven't talked to him in years, and have no idea if his opinion or choice of ammo has changed.
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: shotgun for yotes - 01/27/20 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by coloradocat
Im on the last of my Hevi-Shot Dead coyote I bought years ago. Love the stuff, just cant afford to shoot it anymore. Bought a couple of cases of the Hornady BB from Les Johnson and shoots as well out of my shotgun. #4 buck if in 3" and not 2 3/4.

Im a firm believer in your missing coyotes if you dont have a shotgun on stand, plus its cool as heck to shotgun them. And yes, you still miss with a shotgun.

big rush when theyre running at you full bore
© 2024 Trapperman Forums