Home

another 22 revolver post

Posted By: jbyrd63

another 22 revolver post - 02/01/20 04:27 PM

I know this is beat to death and there is another post going on about best value for the money. SORRY but in my opinion this deal beats all the super six, S&W, ruger, taurus , or any other pistol. For this money you can buy 2-3 for what you pay for the other. These little guns will kill ANY yote ,coon,or bobcat just as dead as any 300 dollar weapon.....

[Linked Image]

Duhnams 3 day sale!!!! ends Monday at closing time......
Posted By: TurkeyWrangler

Re: another 22 revolver post - 02/01/20 05:06 PM

I don't know 379.99 is pretty steep for a trapline gun.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: another 22 revolver post - 02/01/20 05:08 PM

Big hole also. grin
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: another 22 revolver post - 02/01/20 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by TurkeyWrangler

Yeah and a .45 hole. WOW!

Re: another 22 revolver post - 02/01/20 05:11 PM

I have a 1911 Walter in .22 I picked up for $250 so nice I don’t take it with me, it’s about 25% smaller then a .45 Commander
Posted By: MrsFord

Re: another 22 revolver post - 02/01/20 05:24 PM

We actually have 2 of the Heritage revolvers! Got them for our two oldest. I used it to dispatch the raccoon I got last week. Worked like a charm! smile
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: another 22 revolver post - 02/01/20 05:35 PM

i wore out a heritage. bought one when they first came out. replaced it with a single six. i do not regret at all not buying another heritage

i have an old h and r 9 shot revolver. made in 1929. h and r was a cheap gun when they were sold. i doubt there is a heritage being used that will still be serviceable in 90 years. that h and r was used a lot for 30-40 years by my grandad. the heritage i wore out lasted through about 3000 rounds and 6 trapping seasons
Posted By: The Possum Man

Re: another 22 revolver post - 02/01/20 06:40 PM

I have a heritage and used in many seasons and as far as dispatch sure it works fine. Then you try to shoot something further than 10 feet and you will see where that extra money comes into play. Also the side loading gate and single round loading is quite annoying to me. I put mine up and got a ruger 22/45, i can shoot rabbits out to 25 yards fairly easily. Cant do that with my heritage.
Posted By: Jerry Jr.

Re: another 22 revolver post - 02/01/20 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by jbyrd63
These little guns will kill ANY yote ,coon,or bobcat just as dead as any 300 dollar weapon.....

True. But, my great grandson will be shooting my single six some day. I am a long way off from even having a grandson.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: another 22 revolver post - 02/01/20 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by TurkeyWrangler

The one on top lol

Re: another 22 revolver post - 02/01/20 11:53 PM

If thats the one you Love....buy it. If its just cheaper , then save for the one you do love.
Posted By: Kired

Re: another 22 revolver post - 02/01/20 11:54 PM

A friend of mine had a heritage that the timing was off brand new, he got rid of it and has never had anything good to say about them. A used single six isn't all that much saw one in a shop the other day for 175 bucks, it wasn't cosmetically pristine by any means but it'd be a good trap pistol.
Posted By: trap master

Re: another 22 revolver post - 02/02/20 12:01 AM

I got a heritage, they are perfectly acceptable as a dispatch gun, and you wont cry when you drop it in the creek like you would with a model 17 smith and Wesson.Actually id cry twice, once when I seen it happen and second from the wrath of my father! ….and im 42!

Re: another 22 revolver post - 02/02/20 12:20 AM

Several rough riders on the PSA site even a buntline one.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: another 22 revolver post - 02/02/20 12:49 AM

I went with the Wrangler because of some stories I’ve heard about the RR. Nothing bad, just that accuracy wasn’t good past 6-10ft...and this came from some experienced shooters. Don’t know where my boys got my Wrangler but it was less than $150 brand new. Still nothing I want to drop in the mud, but if I do I’m not gonna cry about it. As far as accuracy, I was really surprised. It’s a good 20 yard gun.
Posted By: MadTrapper375

Re: another 22 revolver post - 02/02/20 01:34 AM

Ruger LCR 22lr. 14.9 oz.
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: another 22 revolver post - 02/02/20 02:19 AM

The rough rider is basically a dispatch only gun in my eyes. For the price, ya can't beat it.
Posted By: tlguy

Re: another 22 revolver post - 02/02/20 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by Sprung&Rusty
The rough rider is basically a dispatch only gun in my eyes. For the price, ya can't beat it.

For the price, you can beat it, and not cry about it! I just picked one up last weekend for $120 that came with a $20 store gift card. I also sent in for the .22 mag cylinder.
Posted By: star flakes

Re: another 22 revolver post - 02/02/20 02:43 AM

As the pistoleros are few and far in between, as Teddy Roosevelt noted, the shots who claim they are hitting with a pistol, forget the numerous shots they miss, this Heritage is perfect for your trapline. I purchased a cheap Chiappa which was 4 times less than what I wanted in a Bearcat. I have handled S & W Single Six revolvers and they were no more accurate than the gun I have.

For those who post they wore out thier guns, lubrication and I repeat LUBRICATION, is the solution. You can use what you want, I use STP, but the Mobil synthetics are very good with moly which came into use with M 16's in Nam. What I like best about the Colt 45 design is they come apart in seconds for cleaning and lubing.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: another 22 revolver post - 02/02/20 04:20 AM

Hated my Heritage revolver. Heavy, slow to load or unload, only holds 6 rounds. It dispatched stuff ok but I look for a lot more than you get from the RR in a good trapline gun.
Posted By: Mr. Ed

Re: another 22 revolver post - 02/02/20 04:54 AM

Pondered all the 22 options for a trapping gun. I figured the semi-autos were out since if I fell in the mud on a slippery bank it would mess up the mechanism whereas a revolver I could rinse it in the water and still work till I got it home. Tried out the S&W 317 kit gun 8 shot 22. Bought it and never looked back. Fits in my Carhartt pocket when cutting wood.Leave it on an empty chamber and completely safe. Pricey but worth it IMO.

Re: another 22 revolver post - 02/02/20 05:00 AM

S/W 422 been using it for over 40 years.

[Linked Image]

Re: another 22 revolver post - 02/02/20 05:07 AM

Interesting thread ...lots of suggestions
Posted By: RV6

Re: another 22 revolver post - 02/02/20 03:52 PM

Ive got both a Rough Rider I picked up for $109 new, and a stainless Ruger Single Six. I wont be without either for as long as I run a trapline the way i do. When I run to and from work where Im not permitted to have a weapon, the Heritage goes with me in an ammo can lined with foam and painted cammo. It gets hidden at my last farm before work, and picked up on my way home. I look at it as a tool that will be replaced if it should fail, a "consumable good. I keep it lubed well, shoot only 22 shorts in it, and it hasnt had a hiccup that way for 3 years now. For every year it still works the cost of using it as a "consumable good" goes down. When I can wear a gun on my trapline, the Ruger is what Ive got on. Its overbuilt, and pretty, and will be an heirloom.
Posted By: grayfox54

Re: another 22 revolver post - 02/02/20 04:03 PM

My Heritage is the worst revolver I ever owned, it doesn’t hit worth a crap! I put a 3”x3” piece of paper on a fence post one time got ten feet away and missed the post! And no it wasn’t me I used to have a Ruger Single Six I could hit a snake in the head while it was moving
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: another 22 revolver post - 02/02/20 04:04 PM

I have the 7 1/2 inch barrel on my Rough Rider with Tru Glow adjustable sites, factory. I hunt rabbits with it often, in brushy bottoms where our cottontails live. I also use a Jimenez J/A 22 for dispatch. Using good CCI ammo seems to be the trick for both pistols for accuracy. The Jimenez is very small 6 shot semi auto and was $139.00 new a year ago, takes a 100 rounds to break it in then reliable as can be.
Posted By: Taximan

Re: another 22 revolver post - 02/02/20 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Ed
Pondered all the 22 options for a trapping gun. I figured the semi-autos were out since if I fell in the mud on a slippery bank it would mess up the mechanism whereas a revolver I could rinse it in the water and still work till I got it home. Tried out the S&W 317 kit gun 8 shot 22. Bought it and never looked back. Fits in my Carhartt pocket when cutting wood.Leave it on an empty chamber and completely safe. Pricey but worth it IMO.

It isn't necassary to have the hammer on an empty chamber with the S+W 317.Like the rest of their double actions,it has a hammer block and is completely safe.I have carried my S+W 63,fully loaded for over 40 years.
Posted By: hippie

Re: another 22 revolver post - 07/09/20 04:09 PM

Ya get what ya pay for is a rule that has stood the test of time.
Posted By: newtoga

Re: another 22 revolver post - 07/09/20 04:21 PM

H&r 9 shot revolver double action bought it in 1970 for 29.95. Still use it on the line it’s ugly but it does the job.have dropped it in rivers, ponds mud holes ect. Just rinse the mud off and keep going. Spray it with WD40 at the end of the day.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: another 22 revolver post - 07/09/20 04:24 PM

A baseball bat is cheap,,and works also,,but maybe not the best choice.SO,,I will stick with my Ruger Single Six.You get what you pay for.Buy once cry once.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: another 22 revolver post - 07/09/20 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Taximan
Originally Posted by Mr. Ed

It isn't necassary to have the hammer on an empty chamber with the S+W 317.Like the rest of their double actions,it has a hammer block and is completely safe.I have carried my S+W 63,fully loaded for over 40 years.

the 317 has a hammer block , not all S&W double action revolvers do . make sure you verify operation before depending on it. in a hunting/trapping situation leaving it on an empty if you are unsure isn't a bad idea.

the 1905 the did not have the same type of hammer block
Posted By: The Beav

Re: another 22 revolver post - 07/09/20 04:45 PM

I bought my Ruger Single Six aboard ship In 1960 It cost me new out of the box $62.00. I wonder If they still sell guns On US military Ships?
I was On a troop ship Named the US General Mann headed for Japan.
That gun has served me well over the last 60 years and one of my grandsons will be using It and probably pass It on to one his kids.
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: another 22 revolver post - 07/09/20 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
I bought my Ruger Single Six aboard ship In 1960 It cost me new out of the box $62.00. I wonder If they still sell guns On US military Ships?
That gun has served me well over the last 60 years and one of my grandsons will be using It and probably pass It on to one his kids.

I have my dads old single 6 with the shipping bow he bought about then too think his was $47 or so bought from a base PX. Its a safe queen now.

On the topic of the thread I just got my Ruger wrangler for $235 with tax and brady

Re: another 22 revolver post - 07/09/20 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav

Mine was $119 bran new in box with the Magnum cylinder included.That was around 1979 or 1980.I have given my two boys a BUNCH of rifles,shotguns and pistols and revolvers,,but told them,,no one gets my Single six till im planted. smile
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: another 22 revolver post - 07/09/20 07:26 PM

i got a single six i really like
Posted By: bblwi

Re: another 22 revolver post - 07/09/20 09:09 PM

I have used a .22 Heritage for 26 years now. I paid $109 with the zip case and a holster and the .22 magnum cylinder. I just never wanted a more expensive piece as I have driven over it once, dropped in at least once a season in the river or mud etc. etc. I shoot .22 short CB caps.

Bryce
Posted By: Zim

Re: another 22 revolver post - 07/09/20 10:34 PM

I carry a S&W 617. It is a 10 shot revolver with a 6 inch barrel and stainless steel.
Weighs a ton, is very accurate and if it gets muddy or dropped in the water I clean it.
No more work than a less expensive gun. For all the traipsing around I have done
for over 60 years I have never lost a gun. Did have to take a chilly little dip one time tho. laugh

Zim
Posted By: Steeltrap

Re: another 22 revolver post - 07/09/20 11:04 PM

When it comes to .22 revolvers, in IMHO, there is the Super Single Six (and the older Single Six) and the Bear-cat (though I don't like the non-adjustable sights) then there is everything else. The ability to shoot CB's, shorts, longs, longrifles and with a quick cylinder change, .22mag. Greatest .22 revolver made. Yes some others are probably just as good, but I think the Single Six is the only way to go. I will say the sights are durable and a bit too course but that can be fixed.. And shooting at coons in trees, frogs and critters in traps mostly happens at very close range anyway.

You put 4 cylinders a day thru it for a couple months and watch your pistol marksmanship significantly improve.

Re: another 22 revolver post - 07/09/20 11:52 PM

The best trapline revolvers IMO will have at least 9 shots, a fold out cylinder for easy loading, a 4"ish barrel and won't weigh a ton.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: another 22 revolver post - 07/10/20 01:07 AM

[Linked Image]
Ruger Bearcat Stainless Steel Not $99.

Re: another 22 revolver post - 07/10/20 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
The best trapline revolvers IMO will have at least 9 shots, a fold out cylinder for easy loading, a 4"ish barrel and won't weigh a ton.

makes the Ruger MkIV standard start looking like the best trap line revolver.

yes I know it is an auto. holds 10 and reloads easily no handling individual rounds in the field , accurate 4 3/4 inch barrel , and with the MKIV very easy to disassemble and clean easier than taking the side plate off a revolver
Posted By: cbat

Re: another 22 revolver post - 07/10/20 01:42 AM

Keltec PMR 30 IN 22WM. It carries 30 rounds and doesn't weigh much at all. Pretty accurate to boot.

Re: another 22 revolver post - 07/10/20 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by cbat
Keltec PMR 30 IN 22WM. It carries 30 rounds and doesn't weigh much at all. Pretty accurate to boot.

.22 mag makes a mess when skinning!

[Linked Image]

Re: another 22 revolver post - 07/10/20 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

makes the Ruger MkIV standard start looking like the best trap line revolver.

yes I know it is an auto. holds 10 and reloads easily no handling individual rounds in the field , accurate 4 3/4 inch barrel , and with the MKIV very easy to disassemble and clean easier than taking the side plate off a revolver

Way better than a RR. lol
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: another 22 revolver post - 07/10/20 02:00 AM

oh em gee

Re: another 22 revolver post - 07/10/20 02:05 AM

What do you have?

Re: another 22 revolver post - 07/10/20 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by upstateNY

What do you have?

When I carried a revolver it was this little fella. 9 rounds .22lr or short. 4" barrel very light weight and cheap too but shot everytime I pulled the trigger.

[Linked Image]

Re: another 22 revolver post - 07/10/20 02:39 AM

my trap line revolver is a HY-Hunter 1950s West German import I bought it when I was 17 it is it was broken and I fixed it,

it is everything I would discourage in a trap line revolver.

single action army clone

sort of heavy

NO safety mechanisms move to halfcock to load . I have long loaded 2 skip 1 load 3 more back to fullcock let it down easy to rest on a the empty chamber. I am used to that manual of arms.

grips are held together by JB weld

but I had it , I wouldn't get any money for it to sell it and if it gets wear I don't mind and it works , much of the same reasoning many have for the rough ryder
© 2024 Trapperman Forums