Home

For the surveyors

Posted By: FairbanksLS

For the surveyors - 02/02/20 01:48 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

No record of recovery since set in 1935. Surveying creates a historical record that will be relied upon by future generations as we have relied upon those records of past generations.

And ya'll just thought it was about knowing where your property lines are.
Posted By: Zim

Re: For the surveyors - 02/02/20 02:31 PM

Way cool gray dog!
Station CURB: 1 mile south of the entrance to Chernofski Harbor on the east side of the cove, approximately 6 feet above high water.
53°23'36.47844"(N) 167°32'02.11486"(W) NAD83 (1986 adjustment)
I wonder if they managed to set a Bilby Tower on that station?

Zim

Re: For the surveyors - 02/02/20 02:42 PM

The vertical difference was approx.10 feet on the right side. Never having used a Bilby Tower I can only speculate.

1986 adjustment based on 1935 data was significantly different than a 1986 adjustment based on 2017 data.
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: For the surveyors - 02/02/20 02:48 PM

You mention "no record of recovery since 1935. I'm assuming that means nobody else has used that survey mark since that time? How do you look this up? There's a survey mark on the sandstone foundation of my church. Always been a little curious about it.

Re: For the surveyors - 02/02/20 03:07 PM

Many surveyors including myself do not always file a record of recovery. In populated areas you can often see evidence of recent recovery so it makes no sense to clog the record. In remote areas like this a record of recovery would have been helpful.

The following link should help you find the information you seek. On the foundation it is probably a benchmark.

https://geodesy.noaa.gov/NGSDataExplorer/
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: For the surveyors - 02/02/20 03:11 PM

Wonder if the $250 fine has inflated? That would have been a lot in depression days, not so much now.

Re: For the surveyors - 02/02/20 03:16 PM

Zim,

The coolest part was going back to the boat and having a cup of coffee with a freshly baked "cookie of the day". The eggs could have been fresher. No chickens on board, Still the best working vacation I've ever had.

Re: For the surveyors - 02/02/20 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Foxpaw
Wonder if the $250 fine has inflated? That would have been a lot in depression days, not so much now.

While they cost much more to replace I doubt the fine has increased.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: For the surveyors - 02/03/20 12:33 AM

Is that made of copper? On my screen it looks green, and it would explain how its stood the test of time, here ones from that era were made from iron but buried.

Re: For the surveyors - 02/03/20 01:19 AM

It's copper. They've used many materials throughout their long history.
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: For the surveyors - 02/03/20 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by gray dog
Many surveyors including myself do not always file a record of recovery. In populated areas you can often see evidence of recent recovery so it makes no sense to clog the record. In remote areas like this a record of recovery would have been helpful.

The following link should help you find the information you seek. On the foundation it is probably a benchmark.

https://geodesy.noaa.gov/NGSDataExplorer/

Found it. Very cool. Thank you for the information.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: For the surveyors - 02/03/20 02:36 AM

I got a question for you surveyor pros. When I'm working in the state or county ROW I'll see marker post that will say there is a monument like 30 feet east on say a east west road and they'll be on the ROW line. Why don't they put the market post next to the monument?

I can understand when the monument is in the middle of an intersection or road but why when it's in the grass set at the line?

Re: For the surveyors - 02/03/20 03:48 AM

Have you looked for a reference monument next to the marker? I would.

I've scratched my head more than once trying to figure out why another surveyor did something. With further investigation I usually figure it out.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums