Home

Lake Erie Fishing January and February

Posted By: capt.scott

Lake Erie Fishing January and February - 02/02/20 03:25 PM

Just a few pictures from my trips on January 31 and February 1. Limited out on both days. Good quality fish, unbelievable weather.

Attached picture fishing 1 .jpeg
Attached picture image1.jpeg
Attached picture image2.jpeg
Attached picture image3.jpeg
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Lake Erie Fishing January and February - 02/02/20 03:27 PM

How is the perch fishing?

Re: Lake Erie Fishing January and February - 02/02/20 04:58 PM

Not sure targeting walleye at this time.
Originally Posted by Getting There
How is the perch fishing?
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Lake Erie Fishing January and February - 02/02/20 05:00 PM

Nice!
Posted By: forestman3

Re: Lake Erie Fishing January and February - 02/02/20 05:32 PM

Where`s the ice?
Posted By: Lufkin Trapper

Re: Lake Erie Fishing January and February - 02/02/20 07:32 PM

You need to hurry and get those on ice, before they spoil.
Posted By: frank1969

Re: Lake Erie Fishing January and February - 02/02/20 09:14 PM

How far out what fow u fishing
Posted By: frank1969

Re: Lake Erie Fishing January and February - 02/02/20 09:14 PM

How far out what fow u fishing
Posted By: Ole

Re: Lake Erie Fishing January and February - 02/02/20 10:27 PM

Looks like the females are bellying up with eggs. Does the DNR plant those walleyes or do they rely on natural reproduction in the rivers?
Posted By: jctunnelrat

Re: Lake Erie Fishing January and February - 02/02/20 10:41 PM

Nice catch! Capt. where are you getting the walleye at (what depth and location). If you don't mind me asking. We put in at Edgewater Marina, East 55th, Lorain, occasionally up by the Islands. I assume you're trolling with spoons this time of year. I'm located near Cleveland and our bait stores are out of bait. Suppose to be 52 degrees tomorrow here. I think I feel a cold coming on, might have to call in sick to work. smile
Posted By: cat daddy

Re: Lake Erie Fishing January and February - 02/02/20 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Ole
Looks like the females are bellying up with eggs. Does the DNR plant those walleyes or do they rely on natural reproduction in the rivers?

We dont kill those big females out west. Killing your resource.
Posted By: jctunnelrat

Re: Lake Erie Fishing January and February - 02/02/20 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Ole

As far as I know it's natural reproduction. The Sandusky river is so thick with walleye going up river to spawn in the Spring they will bump into you when fishing for them in waders.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Lake Erie Fishing January and February - 02/02/20 10:51 PM

Nice catch of walleye
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: Lake Erie Fishing January and February - 02/02/20 11:30 PM

No ice this year?
mt
Posted By: gutthooked

Re: Lake Erie Fishing January and February - 02/02/20 11:31 PM

Nice catch!!!!!

Let me know when they start getting em at bula.
Posted By: Michigander

Re: Lake Erie Fishing January and February - 02/03/20 12:48 AM

Nice fish Capt!

Keeping those big females won't hurt the population in Erie. Last year was the second largest walleye hatch ever recorded.

Re: Lake Erie Fishing January and February - 02/03/20 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by forestman3
Where`s the ice?
No ice fishing from boat.

Re: Lake Erie Fishing January and February - 02/03/20 02:23 AM

38 to 42 fow 2 to 3 miles off shore.
Originally Posted by frank1969
How far out what for u fishing

Re: Lake Erie Fishing January and February - 02/03/20 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by jctunnelrat
Nice catch! Capt. where are you getting the walleye at (what depth and location). If you don't mind me asking. We put in at Edgewater Marina, East 55th, Lorain, occasionally up by the Islands. I assume you're trolling with spoons this time of year. I'm located near Cleveland and our bait stores are out of bait. Suppose to be 52 degrees tomorrow here. I think I feel a cold coming on, might have to call in sick to work. smile
Huron dump would be a good place to start. Bandits and P-10 crank baits. 38 to 42 fow. I will be fishing tomorrow.

Re: Lake Erie Fishing January and February - 02/03/20 02:36 AM

No walleye planting in Ohio waters of Lake Erie all natural reproduction. Some fish spawn in the rivers but most spawn on the reefs of the western basin.
Originally Posted by Ole

Re: Lake Erie Fishing January and February - 02/03/20 02:37 AM

Is there any place up there you can catch walleye without being on a boat? I get sea sick just thinking about it lol.

Re: Lake Erie Fishing January and February - 02/03/20 03:08 AM

Shore anglers do well in the spring and fall. Usually in the evening casting shallowing crank bait. I personally haven't done this but know it can be productive. Cleveland, Lorain, Huron, Sandusky, Marblehead all offer shore casting opportunities. You also may want to try spring walleye run in the Maumee and sandusky rivers. You will need waders, jigs and be willing to fish arm to arm with alot of people.
Originally Posted by Catch22
Is there any place up there you can catch walleye without being on a boat? I get sea sick just thinking about it lol.

Re: Lake Erie Fishing January and February - 02/03/20 03:16 AM

Thanks capt!
Posted By: bass10

Re: Lake Erie Fishing January and February - 02/04/20 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by cat daddy
Originally Posted by Ole

We dont kill those big females out west. Killing your resource.

I have seen many, many arguments over the years on shore about guys targeting those big females off the reefs in February, march. I don't like it but won't be throwing them back either.
Erie is the Walleye capitol and the past two years have been insane so I don't personally believe it hurts the population one bit.
Posted By: Cooncreek II

Re: Lake Erie Fishing January and February - 02/04/20 03:54 PM

It's crazy on the Sandusky river in the spring, like capt.scott said arm to arm. I'm only 8 miles from it and I wouldn't fish over there. If you had a small boat you could get out in the middle and do well.

Re: Lake Erie Fishing January and February - 02/04/20 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Munderf

It's crazy on the Sandusky river in the spring, like capt.scott said arm to arm. I'm only 8 miles from it and I wouldn't fish over there. If you had a small boat you could get out in the middle and do well.

I sure wouldn't want to fish like that, what about at night?

Re: Lake Erie Fishing January and February - 02/04/20 04:58 PM

I'm not sure about at night, I don't get out much after dark lol. I'll bet they do.
A lot of piers around Marblehead you can walk out on and catch some.

Re: Lake Erie Fishing January and February - 02/04/20 05:04 PM

I'm not sure about at night, I don't get out much after dark lol. I'll bet they do.

Thanks, I may try it this year.

Re: Lake Erie Fishing January and February - 02/04/20 05:06 PM

Thanks, I may try it this year.

Just look up Lakeside Marblehead, Port Clinton fishing reports and you'll find all kinds of places to go.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums