Home

Your Age Scares Me

Posted By: Pest's Dad

Your Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 05:20 AM

Dunno. I've just been reading the thread about the watch towers. Guys talking about what they were doing with them, in the sixties. Noticed a member, earlier, mentioning he was seventy five now?! Never imagined he'd be that age shocked I'm in my sixties now ~ Where did it all go?!

I first found this place about twenty years ago. When I was comfortably 'middle aged'. I now find myself wondering what's become of friends and 'handles' I remember seeing here. It doesn't bode well frown

I see the odd photo, or statement, suggesting there are solid colored haired men out there, amongst us. But; Heck! How about a proper, clickable survey post? 'What Decade Are Ye?'

Who's gonna carry the torch?
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 05:30 AM

51 goin on 25 here. [Linked Image]
Posted By: chas3457

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 05:31 AM

My age scares ME. eek 1952 model here.

Charlie
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 05:39 AM

Snowshoed a couple of miles today. I've got a friend who is a Commercial Set Net Fisherman at Graveyard Point, Bristol Bay. He's been asking me for a couple of years to fish with him, He thinks I can do it and he's the pro. Should be quite a challenge for a sixty eight year old rookie. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 05:42 AM

I was 49 when this place was born, and now I'm almost 71. Not sure what will happen to this place when I croak. I hope to figure something out between now and dead.
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Paul Dobbins
I was 49 when this place was born, and now I'm almost 71. Not sure what will happen to this place when I croak. I hope to figure something out between now and dead.

How many beaver do you kill in a year Paul. No small accomplishment. No need to quit until you have to.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 06:24 AM

I'm 55 now and was 34 when I found Tman ...what a ride but wow how fast...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Finster

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 09:43 AM

Got my hair cut the other day and the lady must have forgotten to clean the sheet off before she draped it over me. It was full of grey hair. Couldn't have been mine? Just hit 52, mind thinks I'm 18, body thinks my mind is an idiot. grin
Posted By: Tom cat

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 09:51 AM

I’m 38. I plan to be whacking critters for a long time to come.... good lord willing.
Posted By: mole

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 09:55 AM

I will be 70 in a couple weeks . Been on trapperman for a while .seems like yesterday
There we are. just a little slower
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 10:16 AM

will be 59 this year frown
Posted By: trapNH

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 10:36 AM

Time sure flies by seems like yesterdayI was 25 and now I am 76, still setting some steel though.
Posted By: Finster

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Tom cat
I’m 38. I plan to be whacking critters for a long time to come.... good lord willing.

Where ya been TomCat?
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 10:52 AM

Dude I'm 53, have ran 19 marathons and am training for #20 and #21 right now, and I take my kids and often a couple of their friends along for checks each and every trapping season.
I give several them starter equipment and supplies, help them with sets, whatever. Introducing them to TMan forums is one of the first things I direct them.to for knowledge on trapping. I dont remember when I started on here, was on for awhile, off for awhile, and back on. My favorite place online in the whole vast world of online things.
We do same with fishing and other outdoorsie ventures, take extra kids along, give em free stuff to get started, and show them fun is outside waiting for them.
One of the best phone calls I got this year was from a dad of one of my sons friends. Now this dad is a big duck and deer hunter so no newbie to the outdoors, but when he called me and said "my son wants traps for christmas" it made me smile. He said his son has had an absolute blast tagging along on checks. Hes trapped a few coons with cages behind their buildings and now wants to move on to coyotes. He said it's the coolest thing in the world, dad. So I took the kid and his dad and my sons on several more checks, we talked sets and locations at each stop.
About two weeks later I get a text from the dad and it included a pic of the kid and his first coyote caught in a #2 bridger. Kid told his dad duck hunting is OK but this is what he will be doing most of next December. I told the dad I apologize for warping the kiddo but yet I dont apologize too...and was (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) happy to see his success on the coyote. The dad said he had fun too and when they pulled in that morning after about 5 or 6 days of no catches then saw that coyote bouncing around he said they both high fived each other and were whooping and hollering in their truck. That...that was the best call I got this past season. And he thanked me for showing them both a whole new adventure together.
You are only as young as you feel, and I'm all about passing the torch now to next generations while they still see me as cool.
grin
Jim
Posted By: wamp

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 11:08 AM

Joined this forum Dec.25, 2006 the day I came home from hospital from having a heart attack while trapping at age55.
I was beaver trapping 10 days later and have not look back since I don't have time to.

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 11:09 AM

Joined this forum Dec.25, 2006 the day I came home from hospital from having a heart attack while trapping at ageage55.
I was beaver trapping 10 days later and have not look back since I don't have time to.
Posted By: JTaddeo

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 11:13 AM

I'm 53 with some serious arthritis, lumbar damage, and a cranky attitude but I'm still working for a living, hunting, fishing, and trapping as well.

I'm just learning to slow WAY down or I pay for it. No opioid pain medication in this household either.

Still, what I can't carry I'll drag or roll in and out.

My mind is getting the idea that I'm not 25 pretty well now.
Posted By: cotton

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 12:05 PM

60 here and most days the body feels 99 mind still thinks i am 10 foot tall and bullet proof. gets me in big trouble at times too eek
been on tman for 20 years now
Posted By: coop

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 12:13 PM

65, born 1954... same age as Christine Brinkley... actually she's 6 months older.
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 12:20 PM

64 here, haven't aged as well as Christine Brinkley. Mike
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 12:24 PM

I’ll be 57 in a month. Not sure exactly where my health would fall on the graph but I feel great. Been a man of leisure for about 2 years now and I’m certain it has been a positive impact. lol
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 12:39 PM

Old enough to know better, but still young enough to do it again. laugh
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 12:41 PM

I'll be 59 in April
Posted By: newfox1

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 12:47 PM

I'm 54 and slowing down some, but still love to catch beaver.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 12:50 PM

I think the secret to staying young is staying active. I could retire but then I'd probably get lazy and die. Been doing some demolition work the last several days.

"Say hello to my little friend."

[Linked Image]

I'll be 62 before too long.
Posted By: Tom cat

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Finster
Originally Posted by Tom cat

Where ya been TomCat?

Whacking critters buddy! Lol
Posted By: l1ranger

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 01:12 PM

40, and currently catching barn rats in #1 LS

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 01:13 PM

here goes the 20 yr old in me to check beaver traps.
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 01:18 PM

I will be 65 in a few weeks. I get sore much easier than when I was 40!
Posted By: Gulo

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 01:19 PM

Just turned 60 (several years ago). Still trapping, hunting, or fishing every single day of the year.

Jack

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 01:20 PM

50 pound beavers are heavier than they used to be for sure.

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 01:24 PM

Nock em" dead pcr2 ^^^
Posted By: lady123

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 01:30 PM

just turned 61 a month ago . have a bad back right now and its tearing me up with no traps in the water.Mabe i can get some rat traps out in another week or so .

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by pcr2

Amazing how they gain weight carrying them out.
Posted By: Big Possum

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 01:44 PM

Going to be 65 in a month. Had back surgery and need knee replacement but been putting it off. Think now I shouldn’t have put it off. Wish I felt young but don’t today . My saving grace is I’m younger than Paul. smile been on here a long time but no million possums in my future.
Posted By: Jim Bethell

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 01:46 PM

I turned 78 a couple of months ago. Broke a leg 2 years ago so I don't clime the ditch banks much. Still skin, flesh and stretch what my son brings me.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 02:03 PM

Only 52...but still feel like I’m a teenager. Hunt and trap just like I did as a kid. However, the recovery time takes a little longer, lol. I was a 6 day a week gym rat up until about a year ago, but starting back to get back my “youthful” figure. Didn’t take long to add a few pounds, but takes forever getting them off!!
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 02:14 PM

66, don't expect much never disappointed
Posted By: teepee2

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 02:16 PM

Will turn 70 tomorrow, if the good lord's willing.You get to a age were you have to know your limitations.
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 02:16 PM

LOL They sure seem heavier!!! And the truck seems farther away too!
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 02:18 PM

I will be 78 in July, harder to bend over and can not carry a bundle of shingles up the ladder anymore, I can only do a half bundle.
Posted By: MnMan

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 02:37 PM

I am 73 and fortunately still get around pretty good.....although noticeably a little slower than before and get stiff in places where I shouldn't.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: old243

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 02:40 PM

Im 79 and counting. Can still do a lot of things, most just take longer. Got to work smarter. Was to the bush yesterday, cutting firewood. About a half cord is my limit. Have about 8 cord piled for next winter. Stormy days , I like to putter around in the shop. The yotes and fox must be mating, there were a lot of tracks around yesterday, Doing their thing on a nice sunny day. Keep active. old243
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by MnMan
I am 73 and fortunately still get around pretty good.....although noticeably a little slower than before and get stiff in places where I shouldn't.

[Linked Image]

Mn man and I are twins. Product of the sixtys! First year in I don't know how long that I haven't caugh a hundred yotes or more. That don't bother me either! Hate getting old, but the alternative may be worse! grin Stay active is the key. The fiftys you start getting the aches and pains, The sixtys are worse and you lose upper body strength, and the seventys suck big time. Just can't wait for the eightys!
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 02:55 PM

I am 63, my Dad died with a heart attack at 53 and I had one when I was 54. Great genetics there! Didn't damage my heart, had 95% blockage on the widowmaker, got a stint and been going strong ever since. Feel like I got a second chance, retired now and enjoying life and having fun.
Posted By: il.trapper

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 02:56 PM

Feb. 1st 1957 A salesman was headed in to call my dad and tell him his brand new 1957 chevy station wagon had came in. He heard a car coming faster than normal and seen it was dad hauling mom to the hospital to give birth. That was me.

So dad got his first boy child and a 1957 chevy the same day. Said many times he should have kept the car and traded the boy.
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 02:58 PM

Just turned fifty, 5 years ago! Only one way off this great earth and until that day I will check up on T-man to see how my leaky boot, greasy shirt, aching back, long in the tooth, critter catching, partners in crime and sometimes verbose trapping buddies are getting along! grin

Chris
Posted By: BW55

I'm 64-Holy crap MnMan THATS a fisher-of everything I miss my grip strength. Had to rope this beaver so I could carry it over my shoulder to the
truck along with this coon in the other hand. Then my shoulder was sore for 2 days-still love all of it! [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nice looking fisher
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 03:17 PM

I'll celebrate the 27th anniversary of my 25th birthday in June.
About two weeks ago i carried four beaver out of a swamp a half mile away, through knee deep mud! .....then i woke up.....
Posted By: bodycount

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 03:18 PM

I'm 77. I'm more or less recouping this last year with a bounced NAFA check and back surgery. I think I have it down as how to carry on. Just realize when to cut back as you know you are not as you once was. I'll still ride motorcycle and trap a few ditch rats. Just no NAFA anymore.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 03:22 PM

I'm 80 going on 100 well that's the way I feel every morning. I never thought Id say this but trapping just isn't any fun anymore. When I was 75 I was still pretty tough but these last 5 years have taken their toll.

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
I'm 80 going on 100 well that's the way I feel every morning. I never thought Id say this but trapping just isn't any fun anymore. When I was 75 I was still pretty tough but these last 5 years have taken their toll.

Warmer climates are really suppose to help those joints and aches and pains.

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 03:59 PM

You mean the Bahamas right.
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 04:06 PM

The biggest inhibitor most will face is some form of arthritis . It can pop up anytime and it will change your life no matter how healthy you think you are. Just turned 50 about 19 years ago , jeesaloo the time has flown .My father in law is gonna be 99 but is now in assisted living or as I see it assisted suicide.

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 04:17 PM

You mean the Bahamas right.

Lol
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Finster
Got my hair cut the other day and the lady must have forgotten to clean the sheet off before she draped it over me. It was full of grey hair. Couldn't have been mine? Just hit 52, mind thinks I'm 18, body thinks my mind is an idiot. grin

I'm 53, so you and pcr need to respect your elders. grin

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Snowpa
The biggest inhibitor most will face is some form of arthritis . It can pop up anytime and it will change your life no matter how healthy you think you are. Just turned 50 about 19 years ago , jeesaloo the time has flown .My father in law is gonna be 99 but is now in assisted living or as I see it assisted suicide.

Yep wrists,elbow joints,shoulders and hips.

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 04:21 PM

Lets see a pace maker 2 bad knees 2 bad shoulders a leaky valve I think that about covers It.
Posted By: mike mason

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 04:24 PM

Come one Bev, a season of rat trapping in the Dakotas will perk you right back up! wink

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 04:24 PM

One stroke at age 41 was enough for me. Lost a carotid on r. Side with brain blockage that only partway dissipated... power on. Then rest

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 04:27 PM

Lets see a pace maker 2 bad knees 2 bad shoulders a leaky valve I think that about covers It.

That will do it.I forgot myself 4 metal rods and two removed discs with two now fused vertebra in my lower back.But my back is as good as new now.
Posted By: russ32

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 04:29 PM

Trapped till I was 83. and thought it was time to quit. Still trap Groundhogs in the summer time.87 now/

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 04:34 PM

[Linked Image]

by any chance did you weigh that beast Mountain Man??
Posted By: WVCritter

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 04:34 PM

Right after my 66th birthday, I was diagnosed with prostate cancer and shortly after, I had surgery. I will say that physically, it set me back for a little while. It also made me realize that we're not going to be here for ever. I prayed and asked the good Lord for forgiveness and have since been at peace with myself. That was a year ago and so far, my PSA levels remain undetectable, I have learned to not take anything for granted. I enjoy going to Church, helping neighbors, long hikes, bicycling, working in my garden, traveling with my wife, and fishing with my grand kids. I try to enjoy every day to the fullest and I thank God for each day he gives me!!!

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 04:36 PM

Good for you WVCritter.

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 04:36 PM

and look at it this way,with our bad eyes we get to be reminded what a big set of castors looks like year round,everytime we shower. whistle
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 04:45 PM

83 a month ago. Actively trapped until age 77 when diabetic complications grounded me. Been a computer trapper since then.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 04:54 PM

[Linked Image]
I'm just shy of 63, my fur shed helper is 61 and a half.
Posted By: coop

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 05:20 PM

beaverpeeler... no offense buddy, but you're like me... you out punted your coverage...
Posted By: Computer Hater

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
[Linked Image]
I'm just shy of 63, my fur shed helper is 61 and a half.

You sure that isn't your daughter???

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 07:17 PM

Genetics doesn't play fair. I call foul! But it's true, everybody thinks I robbed the cradle and she is exactly 14 months younger than me.

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 07:58 PM

Shave and you will look 10 years younger.

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 08:00 PM

Shave and you will look 10 years younger.

Very true.Also some people don't get grey hair.My wife is a year older then me and not a grey hair on her.

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 08:03 PM

by any chance did you weigh that beast Mountain Man??

Yes, it was the biggest I have caught to date and it was 16#. By the way, I am MnMan which stands for Minnesota man, not mountain man....I don't like heights.
Posted By: Muskrat

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 08:06 PM

The three amigos . . . left to right, Trapper Ron, Muskrat, and Trader Vic. 68, 67, 66. Get 'er done!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 09:00 PM

Just turned 63 here few days back..Last 5 years been kinda hard on me, wore out few body parts. I feel good though and I'm slowly getting back up to speed. Won't ever be able to tear up ground again like I did at 57. Figure to scratch and kick at it best I can until they plant me in it.
People say they haven't seen to many pictures with me smiling. Hard not to smile after spend beautiful day riding 50-60 miles of trails with friends.

[Linked Image]

Mac

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 10:01 PM

shocked Stroof! I was right then. Out of all that we have, what? Three (?) guys under fifty? Wow! Probably more than half the rest of us are older than even our fifties. Wow.

Gentlemen: That's sobering! Isn't it?

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 10:03 PM

conventions are starting to look like some sort of AARP function.

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 10:26 PM

I don't know about Europe, but if'n you want to see younger trappers here we need another sustained fur boom. Even then I think the recruitment of new younger trappers would be minimal as most have better things to do.....like look at their cell phones.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by bctomcat
83 a month ago. Actively trapped until age 77 when diabetic complications grounded me. Been a computer trapper since then.

You share a lifetime of knowledge. I appreciate it.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 11:08 PM

42 here, enjoy trapping and the knowledge shared here

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 11:12 PM

Must be some younger trapper you trust to turn it over to.
Posted By: Muskrat

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 11:16 PM

Paul, it might be safe to say we all think that way in regards to the trapping gear and such that we've accumulated over a lifetime.
Posted By: RM trapper

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 11:17 PM

I'm 37 and hope my boys will keep the tradition going as well [Linked Image]
Posted By: RM trapper

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 11:19 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 11:38 PM

45 here. Just learning how to catch coyotes figure I got 30 good yrs left in me. Still start colts and rope and Dr cattle by myself but I'm getting a little more cautious with age. I have to work a little harder to cover the ones that want to buck as I can tell my reactions may not be what they were when I was twenty.
Posted By: Actor

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 11:42 PM

Well, one week from today will hit the 79 mark. Don't much left of the last 4 discs in lower back and make walking and lifting pretty hard sometimes. I refuse narcotics drugs... so must suffer what ever the Good Lord wants me to tolerate. After my fall earlier, I gave it 3 more very painful days and have pledge to do no more trapping unless I can drive to within 4 or 5 steps to the trap. I has been a long run that started in at 6 years old in 1947 until now. God Bless you all and keep laying down the steel.

Garry-
Posted By: charles

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 11:48 PM

I am 73. Everything was OK until 71. Since then, AFIB, two cancer surgeries, another colonoscopy tomorrow to follow up on colon surgery, and a large hernia surgery in a few more days. Cancer scares me because you don’t see it coming. Living with a single kidney also scares me. Three major surgeries in nine months.

We all get old and some wear out before others. No pain is a good thing, and I am thankful.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/04/20 11:57 PM

I'm sixty. Still in relatively good health but I'm pretty sure my sheep hunting days are behind me.
Posted By: poconobear

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/05/20 12:00 AM

58 here. Got into trapping later in life. Tman has been a great help in shortening the learning curve. A little busted up from a life of labor. Most recent one was a shoulder. It’s never gonna be the same , but not because I quit trying. Still running and lifting too. Can still keep running with my daughter, though that will probably change soon. Just gotta keep moving
Posted By: rendezvous

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/05/20 12:46 AM

39 and not a sick day in my life until they found an aortic aneurysm... open heart surgery to repair my aorta, an artificial aortic valve and continually adjusting meds, currently 12-13 pills depending on the day. At 46 I had a stroke, came out of that pretty well though, only a problem with my speech. My heart problems have continued to progress. At 53 they gave me a pacemaker/defibrillator and now Heart Congestive Failure is becoming an issue. I'm currently 60 going on 80, but that's a pretty spry 80! All in all, I have been truly blessed...
Posted By: Deer Lane

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/05/20 12:50 AM

63 years young. LOL
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/05/20 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by rendezvous
39 and not a sick day in my life until they found an aortic aneurysm... open heart surgery to repair my aorta, an artificial aortic valve and continually adjusting meds, currently 12-13 pills depending on the day. At 46 I had a stroke, came out of that pretty well though, only a problem with my speech. My heart problems have continued to progress. At 53 they gave me a pacemaker/defibrillator and now Heart Congestive Failure is becoming an issue. I'm currently 60 going on 80, but that's a pretty spry 80! All in all, I have been truly blessed...

That's a tough row to hoe, hang tough brother
Posted By: Bass1

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/05/20 01:06 AM

One of my favorites, appropriate for this thread I think. I like the thought of praying longer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kElHR66Y3es
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/05/20 01:55 AM

Well into my 30s here. WELL into them.

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/05/20 02:39 AM

I see there is great hope for me I am only 68 and I read you guys in your 70's and 80's still trapping that is my dream.

Gentlemen keep up your love for the outdoors and this great game of chasing critters.

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/05/20 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
I don't know about Europe, but if'n you want to see younger trappers here we need another sustained fur boom. Even then I think the recruitment of new younger trappers would be minimal as most have better things to do.....like look at their cell phones.

Beaverpeeler; In all honesty? I don't know about Europe either. Simply because I have absolutely no contact with anyone much younger than me. Meaning; I've really no way of knowing What youngsters get up to, these days. Phones would probably be a vast part of it though.

Couple of local guys I do know? Probably both a couple of years older than me. Only other lad I know is on here. And in his forties.

Dunno. Sort of puts me in mind of a big " T ", now. Big plateau of fifty odds up. Then, that pencil thin line down through the rest of the age groups.

Sustained fur boom? How likely's that? Worst of all? I'd predict more of a free for all ~ if it ever happened ~ of inner city kids, dashing out into the countryside ..... No. Sorry. Tell ye what? This is actually, genuinely bringing me down so much; I don;t even think I want to discuss it any further, myself frown

Not to end on that note though; My compliments too, to ye lady wife there! I looked at that photo and thought; " Oh, aye? Beaverpeeler and his daughter, obviously. " Just didn't question it! blush

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/05/20 04:03 AM

Ha ha. She is one of the only women you'll meet that is happy for an excuse to mention her age. For me it's just "carry on".
Posted By: Furvor

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/05/20 04:21 AM

1931 model. Gave up trapping a year ago.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/05/20 04:36 AM

I have been on since the very late 90s or 2000 when I was 51. I am now 72 and some days more and some days less. The nice thing about being older one does not have to worry about filling the day as everything one does takes longer, sometimes much longer.

Bryce
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/05/20 05:11 AM

[Linked Image]

63 and still having fun......They told me I would grow old... they didn’t tell me I had to grow up.
Posted By: bob maier

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/05/20 12:10 PM

I’m 68 have had both knees replaced , few years ago after my second knee replacement Had a blood clot that gave me a scare. Doing a stress test my cardiologist recommended found out Ihad a 95% blocked artery, called it the widow maker. Got a stint a few days later. Been fine ever since. Planning on trapping out of state next year. Feel like 25 going on 68.

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/05/20 03:25 PM

My brain thinks that I am 18 but my body suggests otherwise.
Posted By: trapperrev

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/05/20 03:40 PM

I'm 42. Part of the under 50 crowd. When young I trapped pocket gophers in dad's hay field for claw bounty. I vaguely knew of raccoon traps but dad described the footholds as huge dangerous things. Lol. He didn't really know. I'd rather have my finger in a 1 1/2 than in a gopher death klutch.

I'm a Lutheran pastor in small town Nebraska and discovered trapperman right after looking into trapping about 6 or 7 years ago. Got introduced to hunting here in Nebraska by some of my people which got me curious about trapping. Bought a handful of Duke 1 1/2s and the guy in the store showed me how to set them. I read a lot on trapperman and a lot of YouTube videos to begin. Never rode along with anyone, I guess I'm mostly internet taught. I'm still very much a rookie in many ways. Haven't been able to trap every year or much of some years. I'm immensely thankful for the wealth of knowledge here. I have 8 kids but only 2 have the bug. #3 - she has no interest in any put up or water trapping but 8th grade school and extra curriculars take their toll. #6 - he'll eventually take up the reins on everything.

Re: Youe Age Scares Me - 02/05/20 04:25 PM

I have mentioned this historical tidbit before, but in spring 1811 the overland Astor party was poling up the Missouri river on their trip to Oregon and encountered the then 78 year old Daniel Boone coming down river in a raft with several packs of beaver. His plews from his 1810 trapping efforts from the upper Missouri. He had spent the winter with the Mandans in the Dakotas and was now headed back home.

Seems appropriate for this thread.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums