Home

Anyone have an idea for Gout.

Posted By: Kansas Rook

Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 02/04/20 02:01 PM

This is the second flair up I have had this year. I suppose I could go to the Dr. but not interested in going on a round of steroids. Anyone have experience with this and something that worked?
Posted By: timbremn

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 02/04/20 02:04 PM

I had a minor case right behind big toe. Took tart cherry concentrate (should be able to find in nutricion section of grocery or drug store) and stopped drinking beer for a while and it went away.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 02/04/20 02:05 PM

Not sure but I think there is a diet you should follow and no boss. Good luck!
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 02/04/20 02:07 PM

Drink lots of water elevate your leg
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 02/04/20 02:07 PM

ive had it for 30 yrs or so . No steroids needed. I have acute gout. You can see your dr depending how bad it is and get put on allopurinal or similar and then you wont get it.
Mine was too bad,,cherry juice or nothing worked

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 02/04/20 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by timbremn
I had a minor case right behind big toe. Took tart cherry concentrate (should be able to find in nutricion section of grocery or drug store) and stopped drinking beer for a while and it went away.

so putting cherry juice in my beer wont help?
frown
Posted By: run

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 02/04/20 02:23 PM

Drink lots of water. Beer doesn't count as water. Cherry juice concentrate should help.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 02/04/20 03:01 PM

Stay away from eating chicken livers.
Posted By: wetdog

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 02/04/20 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce T
Stay away from eating chicken livers.

Stay away from all animal organs. And the alcohol, no beer.
Posted By: 1lessdog

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 02/04/20 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by timbremn

Yes Cherry juice will help you a lot.
Posted By: red mt

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 02/04/20 03:29 PM

Take all the good stuff to eat or drink ,, stop it all together. Done deal
Moderation is your friend
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 02/04/20 03:36 PM

Go to the doctor. Like wrr said. They will put you on allopurinol to control your uric acid. This acid is ruining your joints even when you don't have a flare up. If you have a flare up after taking allopurinol, they will prescribe indomethicin and it will stop the pain completely overnight. I have joints that will never be 100% again because I was too stubborn to go to the doctor for years. It effects all your joints, not just your big toe, even though that is the most common place for the flare ups. What I thought was arthritis in my fingers was actually related to gout, I have a couple fingers I can barely use now.
Posted By: trapNH

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 02/04/20 03:40 PM

Have had bad bouts of gout,ADC has got it right, I take one pill a day and nop gout in 3 years, and yes my joints are all messed up.
Posted By: Machias

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 02/04/20 03:55 PM

Allopurinal, haven't had an attack in years. I take 300 mg a day.
Posted By: #11

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 02/04/20 04:12 PM

ADC IS RIGHT!!!! Go this route or suffer!!!
Posted By: rod-dog

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 02/04/20 04:15 PM

I worked with a man who had gout....couldn't drink beer that he loved but was able to drink wine without any issues.
Posted By: Big Possum

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 02/04/20 05:33 PM

Been taking allopurinal for 20 years after several gout flare ups. Not one since starting that medicine
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 02/04/20 05:38 PM

Asparagus is a thing to be avoided.
Posted By: kiyote

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 02/04/20 05:39 PM

Everybody is different. Some foods that will cause one person to flare up may not affect another person. The cherry juice and frankincense oil is what works best for my occasional flare ups. I also had my Dr. to prescribe me gout medicine to take when needed.
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 02/04/20 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Kansas Rook
This is the second flair up I have had this year. I suppose I could go to the Dr. but not interested in going on a round of steroids. Anyone have experience with this and something that worked?

A change in diet is usually all you need.

My wife owned a small health food store for a few yrs . She had grown men coming in , practically in tears looking for 100 % black cherry juice

It worked for me with the couple flare ups I had

I backed off the red meat a bit and that has worked as well

I know a guy who can't drink beer or he will suffer

I don't drink so that has never been a problem
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 02/04/20 07:21 PM

One of my coworkers has gout. He avoids alcohol and red meat... He says he was never much of a drinker to begin with and loves fishing for/eating crappie so he says controlling it is easier for him than a lot of people.

Mike

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 02/04/20 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
Go to the doctor. Like wrr said. They will put you on allopurinol to control your uric acid. This acid is ruining your joints even when you don't have a flare up. If you have a flare up after taking allopurinol, they will prescribe indomethicin and it will stop the pain completely overnight. I have joints that will never be 100% again because I was too stubborn to go to the doctor for years. It effects all your joints, not just your big toe, even though that is the most common place for the flare ups. What I thought was arthritis in my fingers was actually related to gout, I have a couple fingers I can barely use now.

mine too,,knees,ankles,shoulders,fingers many joints all messed up from gout
Posted By: Machias

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 02/04/20 08:58 PM

In many individuals it has nothing to do with their diet and everything to do with the amount of Uric Acid your body produces. I could go 100% vegan, swear off beer (I actually don't drink beer now) and I would still get gout attacks. My body over produces uric acid. The allopurniol pills have saved me from having any gout attacks for over 16 years now.

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 02/04/20 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Machias
In many individuals it has nothing to do with their diet and everything to do with the amount of Uric Acid your body produces. I could go 100% vegan, swear off beer (I actually don't drink beer now) and I would still get gout attacks. My body over produces uric acid. The allopurniol pills have saved me from having any gout attacks for over 16 years now.

x2
Posted By: Pest's Dad

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 02/04/20 10:33 PM

Eat some Celery, if ye can.

Suggested that once, to a friend who was plagued by gout. He thought I must be some kind of miracle worker, after that.
Posted By: cpizzicharlie

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 02/05/20 01:48 PM

I have had it for years, I drink cherry juice all the time. I also drink more water and I like wine. Was told beef could cause flair ups and switched to only bison and venison, this made a big difference for me. Hope this helps.
Posted By: nyhuntfish

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 02/05/20 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mike in A-town
One of my coworkers has gout. He avoids alcohol and red meat... He says he was never much of a drinker to begin with and loves fishing for/eating crappie so he says controlling it is easier for him than a lot of people.

Mike

"fructose is metabolized to uric acid. It has essentially replaced a meat-rich diet as a major contributor to increased precipitation of uric acid, i.e., gout."

From .... The Wheat Belly Cardiologist, William Davis, M.D.

https://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2011/09/an-open-letter-to-the-grain-foods-foundation/

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 02/05/20 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by nyhuntfish
Originally Posted by Mike in A-town

Mike

"fructose is metabolized to uric acid. It has essentially replaced a meat-rich diet as a major contributor to increased precipitation of uric acid, i.e., gout."

From .... The Wheat Belly Cardiologist, William Davis, M.D.

https://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2011/09/an-open-letter-to-the-grain-foods-foundation/

you guys just arent getting it....its not about the food,its about the body"s inability to process and expel it thru urine...in my case I believe it happened as a result of too much alcohol consumption as a young man......damaged the kidneys....kidneys expel urine....many ppl who get gout also get kidney stones...thank good i dont.
Posted By: trapdad

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 02/05/20 04:18 PM

I get both gout and stones. In fact I have three stones now. Lots of 100% cherry juice and water. Too much asparagus, beer, and soda pop will bring it on for me. Will help with the gout and not cause problems with the stones. Doctor just gave me list of foods to avoid and another list of ones to limit. For stones, it's something called oxalates. This list is hard! Some bad things for stones are beer, coffee (instant worst, brewed limit) asparagus, organ meat, beans (baked, green, wax), potatoes, carrots, celery, tomato, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, apples, it's unbelievable and goes on and on. But again, it's too much of them for too long of times.

I had severe gout twice, but now just watch what I eat. It usually comes on relatively slow and I can cut beer and soda out, and it usually subsides.

About five years ago I passed 9 stones, from 1 up to 6 mms. but had to have surgery to remove one that had grown to 17 mms. Right now I got one that is 8 and they are not sure if it will pass.

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 02/05/20 04:19 PM

Okay after reading all of these I went ahead an made an appointment to see if I can get some long term solutions in line. I do have a bottle of cherry juice and have been hammering water. I guess you guys have me a little worried about long term damage. So off to the doc tomorrow at 9:15. I will be interested to hear what he thinks.
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 02/05/20 04:26 PM

Okay after reading all of these I went ahead an made an appointment to see if I can get some long term solutions in line. I do have a bottle of cherry juice and have been hammering water. I guess you guys have me a little worried about long term damage. So off to the doc tomorrow at 9:15. I will be interested to hear what he thinks.

He is a doctor and will do what doctors do , prescribe you a lifetime pill.

Americans love medication
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 02/05/20 04:31 PM

Smart move. You'll pee in a cup, they'll test your uric acid levels and most likely start you on Allopurinol. Its a drug that has been around forever. It will control the acid and your joints can begin to repair themselves. I've gotten most of the mobility back in my fingers (even the two that will never be great are better) and increased range of motion in my elbows and knees. I still can not straighten my right arm 100% but its better than before. It's not about controlling the attacks. I used to just get anti-inflammatory meds to stop an on-coming gout attack, not realizing the damage the acid crystals was creating. Your cherry juices and no more beer will help with lowering the instances of attacks but they aren't controlling the acid. Let us know how it turns out.

On a side note, I've given this advice numerous times on here over many years, and you're the first one not too hard headed to heed it that I can recall.

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 02/05/20 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by trapdad
I get both gout and stones. In fact I have three stones now. Lots of 100% cherry juice and water. Too much asparagus, beer, and soda pop will bring it on for me. Will help with the gout and not cause problems with the stones. Doctor just gave me list of foods to avoid and another list of ones to limit. For stones, it's something called oxalates. This list is hard! Some bad things for stones are beer, coffee (instant worst, brewed limit) asparagus, organ meat, beans (baked, green, wax), potatoes, carrots, celery, tomato, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, apples, it's unbelievable and goes on and on. But again, it's too much of them for too long of times.

I had severe gout twice, but now just watch what I eat. It usually comes on relatively slow and I can cut beer and soda out, and it usually subsides.

About five years ago I passed 9 stones, from 1 up to 6 mms. but had to have surgery to remove one that had grown to 17 mms. Right now I got one that is 8 and they are not sure if it will pass.

youre right,the list is just too long...speaking of stones...my mom had 600 0f them when I was a kid....they said if there was ever criteria for setting a record she had it....1960"s,also if you only had 2 severe cases of gout you dont have it bad. When its chronic , then its bad
Posted By: Michigander

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 02/05/20 05:13 PM

You guys sure know how to make a man nervous. I had gout in my hip last year that made me bed ridden for 3 days. Literally could not move and thought I was dieing. Don't drink alcohol, not an excessive amount of red meat and am fairly young at 25. Hopefully it was a one and done kind of deal but I doubt it.
Posted By: ScottW

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 05/11/22 04:36 AM

How is everyone gout coming along (or hopefully not coming I guess)?! Went almost two years between flare ups but she came back with a vengeance this year and I finally went to the doctor. Now I’m just trying to get it under control and hoping it’s more of an alcohol thing than a red meat thing for me as I’d have very little problems adjusting that part of my diet compared to the meat aspect. Last year I was limiting alcohol and exercising several days a week and had no issues. Lately been pretty sedentary and having beverages as I desire and been having issues. Went to two large grocery stores yesterday and neither had a single cherry aside from froze ! Gonna really watch my eating, start exercising more, and lose some weight and take the colchicine when I have any flare ups to stay functional! I will agree with many…..no fun at all! Happy trapping! ScottW
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 05/11/22 04:52 AM

Gout caused by a high carb diet. Like most of our heart and diabetes problems.Beer is a high carb drink as well and that adds to the problem.
Your body produces Uric acid so that’s not the problem at all.
A doctor will treat the symptoms but only you can fix the problem by diet change and it’s not meats fault.
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 05/11/22 05:37 AM

Black cherries helps me when get a flare up.
Posted By: Ringneck1

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 05/11/22 03:10 PM

Have had gout off and on for last 5 years often twice a year. Last October had gout flare in October. Got past it and a week later it popped again. This time debilitating pain in left big toe. Couldn't keep a sock on it hurt so bad. I finally gave in and went on alpurinol.. After a bit of indomethacin, the miracle cure, everything has been good since. Taking a pill of allpurinol is a hundred times better than gout.

Cherry juice never worked for me. I tried allpurinol previously but it really messed with my stomach so I was real hesitant to try it last fall. Seems to be working though, as april\may I would normally be getting a spring installment . knock on wood nothing yet.

Good luck
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 05/11/22 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by yukonjeff

Your body produces Uric acid so that’s not the problem at all.

Too much uric acid is what causes gout. Just like cholesterol, uric acid levels vary from person to person. Some can somewhat control it with diet, some not so much. If your uric acid level runs on the low side, you can tolerate a lot of food or drink that causes it to rise but if it runs high, it takes very little to cause a spike and gout.

My uric acid level is near the high end of normal without medication. The first time I had gout, I got treated and saw immediate improvement but it would flare back up as the dosage tapered off. Went through 3 or 4 rounds including NASIDs and steroid packs. Even had a shot in the joint but it would not go away. DR finally started me on allopurinol and it cleared up completely and no more problems while taking allopurinol for several years. DR suggested we stop the allopurinol which surprised me but I agreed. Went about 3 years with no problem and then it hit me again. I felt it coming on while out of town and I went to a clinic and got a steroid pack prescribed. Knocked it right out.

Next time I saw my DR, I told him what happened. He checked my uric acid level and it was just under the upper limit of normal and he put me back on allopurinol. Been on it ever since and zero problem with gout. Never noticed any side effects from allopurinol either.

This is based on my experience and my discussion with my DR. YMMV
Posted By: LDW

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 05/11/22 05:28 PM

My uncle eats about 1/3 can of cherry pie filling every night. He swears by it, hasn't had an attack in years. If it works, it's a lot better than medicine.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 05/11/22 07:27 PM

I take an extract of black berries and celery seed. and fish-oil capsules every day and have not had it since.
Posted By: JEckman

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 05/11/22 08:44 PM

Aleve...

I get gout when I get sick or injured. Never from drinking. But if I drank when I have gout it sure don't help..
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 05/11/22 11:08 PM

Most of the guys I worked with that had issues with gout were told by the doctor to cut back on beer . They all went for a second opinion.
Posted By: walleyed

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 05/11/22 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by #11

I am cautiously on allopurinol for 2 years with great success
but beware side effects to the liver and kidneys
if you have a history of issues with those organs.

walleyed
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 05/12/22 01:38 AM

What killed me was buying a sale Turkey and eating it till gone. Something it the bird set my gout off big time.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 05/12/22 03:55 AM

I was diagnosed with gout . I could hardly walk then my long term rocky mountain spotted tick fever flared up bad enough that I was finally diagnosed . After taking doxycycline for three months ,no more RMSTF and no more gout
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 05/12/22 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by walleyed
Originally Posted by #11

I am cautiously on allopurinol for 2 years with great success
but beware side effects to the liver and kidneys
if you have a history of issues with those organs.

walleyed

Allopurinal messed up my dads liver big time. He had to have stints
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 05/12/22 04:04 AM

Another thing . As my mom was dying from covid there were several treatments that they couldn't try " because of the damage done to her kidneys by her gout medicine . So check out those side effects
Posted By: run

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 05/12/22 09:52 AM

I didn't read the comments but recommend taking potassium.
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 05/12/22 10:09 AM

Thanks

t
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 05/12/22 11:27 AM

This has helped me

Attached picture 6D77A338-DFE7-43F0-BF0A-2179983661A7.png

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 05/12/22 05:41 PM

Thanks for the tip black spot! Just ordered a used copy off eBay! Happy trapping! ScottW
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 05/12/22 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
Asparagus is a thing to be avoided.

Glad I don't have gout. That's my favorite vegetable.
Posted By: Dragger

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 05/12/22 09:38 PM

64 ounces of water. 1000mg of vitamin C. 250mg of calcium carbonate and most important 1000mg of magnesium. Daily intakes.

I cleaned up my diet but my chronic gout didn't go away. Now I have no problems with it.

Check with your doctor for interactions with drugs you currently take.

**Also quit taking NSAIDs as they help the pain but aggravate joint damage!**

Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 05/12/22 09:48 PM

What is this....the thread where old guys talk about their ailments....?

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 05/12/22 09:56 PM

Sadly I don’t think I’m old….lol…..and this thread is really only about one ailment!

Seriously some good info to hear though for those of us trying to get this kinda stuff under control.

Happy trapping! ScottW
Posted By: Canvasback2

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 05/12/22 10:05 PM

I remember when one guy had the Gout. His Wife thought he was being a wimp, complaining about his big toe hurting.

SO......

She took one of her Slippers , and slapped his Gout inflamed big Toe !!!

The Wife actually thought it was FUNNY!! seeing her Husband whining like a Baby!! shocked

For some reason, they ended up getting a Divorce!!
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 05/12/22 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Nessmuck
What is this....the thread where old guys talk about their ailments....?

We are not old .... Seasoned is the word you are looking for .... maybe mature .... but not old
Posted By: nate

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 05/12/22 10:19 PM

Boco said bear grease helped with arthritis, I'm guessing it would work with gout as well.maybe boco will give us a run down.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 05/12/22 10:51 PM

Ole Harris...the fur handler...rubbed coon fat & Honey on all his aches....Nevah saw a Doctor in 85 years...died at 89 . RIP Harris
Posted By: Jiggamitch

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 05/14/22 02:15 AM

Cocaine supposedly cures gout if you into that sort of thing.
Posted By: trapr

Re: Anyone have an idea for Gout. - 05/14/22 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~

x2 , I take allopurinol daily to prevent gout flair ups and joint destruction just as ADC has described.
allopurinol is cheaper than cherry juice.
Try to figure out your triggers, there are many. I will not eat turkey at any time and have to stay away from shellfish, crab, and shrimp.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums