Home

Briar proof clothes?

Posted By: Thumbian

Briar proof clothes? - 02/05/20 02:47 PM

Anybody have recommendations for brush pants or bibs? With all the dead ash trees, the wild rose bushes are everywhere now. Hate these things with the long hooked thorns that just won’t let go. One thorn is hooked in your leg and the whole dang woods is moving when I do!!! Blackberries are tame compared to these. Anyway I’m looking for bibs that are actually thorn proof, light weight and as quiet as possible. Anybody find a brand that fits these “needs”? Dans hunting bibs sound good but I don’t know? Thanks!
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Briar proof clothes? - 02/05/20 03:04 PM

Dan's
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Briar proof clothes? - 02/05/20 03:05 PM

I don't think you're going to find any that are quite due to the material. I've got a pair of JC Connors chaps that are great for coyote trapping. Especially with the built in knee pads and built in tool holsters.
Posted By: k snow

Re: Briar proof clothes? - 02/05/20 03:07 PM

I like Filson's tin cloth chaps for rabbit hunting in the briars. They turn thorns like no tomorrow. Just remember they are only chap high, the boys can still get hooked. Don't ask.
Posted By: grumley701

Re: Briar proof clothes? - 02/05/20 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Catch22
Dan's

X2
Posted By: drasselt

Re: Briar proof clothes? - 02/05/20 04:21 PM

Brain tan buckskin. Tough, warm, light weight, breathable, quiet.... and expensive.
Posted By: k snow

Re: Briar proof clothes? - 02/05/20 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by drasselt
Brain tan buckskin. Tough, warm, light weight, breathable, quiet.... and expensive.

If you have time and don't mind some physical work, it is inexpensive to produce yourself. But it's work.
Posted By: CajunMan

Re: Briar proof clothes? - 02/05/20 04:47 PM

Dans is ok but the claim that they are just like WICKS use to be is bull. In my opinion they are not even close to the quality that WICKS Products were. Sure wish they would go back into business!
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Briar proof clothes? - 02/05/20 05:07 PM

I made my own out of a pair of double cloth Carhart pants and some wax and tung oil. Tin pants style. I wear them mostly while weed and brush whacking and never had a thorn come through them yet and I have plenty of those on my property. On a different note, Those wild roses have great scalding in the wood of the thicker stems ( arm thick and bigger ) once you cut a way to the center that I have cut out and am drying to make knife scales out of.
Posted By: rod-dog

Re: Briar proof clothes? - 02/05/20 05:44 PM

I've been wearing Dan's hip boots/chaps for 4 years trapping, deer hunting the thick stuff, trout fishing....i find it hard to believe there is a better product for the money.
Posted By: Clark

Re: Briar proof clothes? - 02/05/20 09:51 PM

Filson tin cloth is pretty unbeatable but expensive. Cry once when you buy them and smile when you’re wearing them.
Posted By: PA.Trapper

Re: Briar proof clothes? - 02/05/20 10:07 PM

Dan's now. but wick was always my go to. Wish they were still making things.im still wearing a pair of there chaps for trapping and I used to wear them coonhunting when I was competition hunting and running hounds 7 nights a week for years. Good stuff
Posted By: cablejohn

Re: Briar proof clothes? - 02/05/20 10:44 PM

Dan's. Filson is heavy when walking all day.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Briar proof clothes? - 02/05/20 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by k snow
I like Filson's tin cloth chaps for rabbit hunting in the briars. They turn thorns like no tomorrow. Just remember they are only chap high, the boys can still get hooked. Don't ask.

Originally Posted by Clark
Filson tin cloth is pretty unbeatable but expensive. Cry once when you buy them and smile when you’re wearing them.

I'm on my second pair of tin cloth pants (single tin) in twenty years. I might get a few more years out of them. Being 100% cotton they are pretty quiet but I don't worrty about that when small game hunting. I also have a tin cloth upland vest that ill probably outlast me. Filson makes double tin garments, can't imagine much getting through those. they're probably heavy and hot though.

I also have an older pair of heavy cotton Gamehide brushbusters faced with heavy nylon that I like. They are loud in the brush.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Briar proof clothes? - 02/05/20 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by cablejohn
Dan's. Filson is heavy when walking all day.

I have owned Filson chaps and their Double Tin Pants. The chaps aren't heavy but the pants you can stand in a corner. They are heavy.
Posted By: PSPH17

Re: Briar proof clothes? - 02/05/20 11:05 PM

Look at Mule hunting clothes online. They are out of Oklahoma.
Posted By: cablejohn

Re: Briar proof clothes? - 02/05/20 11:08 PM

Nite light also has a good pair of chaps but they have very cheap tin snaps on the straps. If the snaps were better quality I would highly recommend them. I also highly recommend Dan's briar proof shirt! Love my Filson brush coat.
Posted By: newtoga

Re: Briar proof clothes? - 02/05/20 11:21 PM

X2 on dans
Posted By: TreedaBlackdog

Re: Briar proof clothes? - 02/05/20 11:29 PM

Carhart used to have brush pant lined bibs.
Posted By: Thumbian

Re: Briar proof clothes? - 02/06/20 12:29 AM

Thanks for the replies! So is Dans quieter than Filsons? Reason I’m concerned about noise is my group hunts coyotes without dogs so the quieter the better. Yeah probably doesn’t make much difference but I’ll take any advantage I can.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Briar proof clothes? - 02/06/20 12:41 AM

Filson chaps hold up well except at the cuffs where they tend to fray and they are noisy.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Briar proof clothes? - 02/06/20 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Thumbian
Thanks for the replies! So is Dans quieter than Filsons? Reason I’m concerned about noise is my group hunts coyotes without dogs so the quieter the better. Yeah probably doesn’t make much difference but I’ll take any advantage I can.

I think Dan's are faced with nylon which can be noisy. Filson's are not faced, just heavyweight waxed cotton.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Briar proof clothes? - 02/06/20 01:07 AM

Wicke's, Brier Proof's, if you can find any.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums