Home

Homemade Brats???

Posted By: wisconsinteacher

Homemade Brats??? - 02/05/20 06:11 PM

After stuffing the brats in casing what do you do?

1-freeze raw
2-smoke until 160 then freeze
3-boil (pre-cook) then freeze
4-smoke for a short time then finish boiling then freeze

All brats will be vacuumed sealed then put in the freezer.

I like the idea of having precooked brats so I can thaw and then cook quickly but I don't want to ruin the brats if this is not a good idea.

Thanks
Posted By: run

Re: Homemade Brats??? - 02/05/20 06:24 PM

I would freeze them raw. Just my 2 cents.
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: Homemade Brats??? - 02/05/20 06:26 PM

Freeze raw.
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Homemade Brats??? - 02/05/20 06:26 PM

OH ! I thought this was about another kind of brat grin
Posted By: DadN3Boyz

Re: Homemade Brats??? - 02/05/20 06:32 PM

My mix is 60/40 veni to pork shoulder. I then add 1 can of beer for every 5lbs. After stuffing I put in the smoker for about 20 minutes or so at about 200 - 220. Watching closely. I'm not doing this to fully cook, but to shrink the hog casings, so the casing snap instead of being chewy. They will turn a carmel color. I then vaccum seal and freeze. When grilling, they are not quite brown and serve, but pretty darn close. Once they start getting a good browning and start seeing the beer start simmering in the casing, they are pretty much done at that point. Want to be careful not to puncture the casings while grilling. Very good and juicy.
Posted By: Matt28

Re: Homemade Brats??? - 02/05/20 07:07 PM

I freeze mine raw.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Homemade Brats??? - 02/05/20 07:57 PM

freeze raw

thaw and cook

I stopped stuffing mine in cases , I could grind and season and put the meat on trays then score and freeze flat , break the patties apart and package.

little thaw time , cook fast , taste good , less work
Posted By: Polecatt

Re: Homemade Brats??? - 02/05/20 08:42 PM

Raw.
Posted By: Abu65

Re: Homemade Brats??? - 02/05/20 08:45 PM

Lay them out on a cookie sheet and put in the freezer for a few hours until frozen. Then vaccum seal them raw. Brat's will usually flatten out if vaccum sealed unfrozen.
Posted By: K9BeavCoon

Re: Homemade Brats??? - 02/05/20 08:53 PM

Depends on the recipe but we make fresh brats and also some cold smoked brats. Vac pack and freeze em.
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Homemade Brats??? - 02/05/20 09:14 PM

I freeze my moose brats raw. I have also smoked them in with the summer sausage for a few hours and then package with just the smoke flavoring ,and that was good.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Homemade Brats??? - 02/06/20 03:17 AM

I beat mine when they get lippy...
Posted By: GerryE

Re: Homemade Brats??? - 02/08/20 04:01 PM

We put them raw on a cookie into the freezer to firm up a little then vacuum pack. We have also started making brats in sheep casings they are smaller like hotdog size.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums