Home

Why

Posted By: upstateNY

Why - 02/05/20 10:34 PM

Been heating with wood all my life.Why does it relax me to just watch wood smoke come out of my chimney,,especially when its below zero outside?I really love it when walking back from my tree stand,and see my chimney billowing smoke.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Why - 02/05/20 10:39 PM

same here
Posted By: Fisher Man

Re: Why - 02/05/20 10:42 PM

There is just something about a wood fire; the smell of woodsmoke and the heat from it. I love it.

Re: Why - 02/05/20 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Fisher Man
There is just something about a wood fire; the smell of woodsmoke and the heat from it. I love it.

I also love throwing a chunk of birch in there just for the smell.When splitting my wood,I keep some birch separate just for that purpose.
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Why - 02/05/20 10:48 PM

Same with coal for me. I used to go outside just to smell it and see the smoke come out of the chimney, it does have a calming effect. Nothing heats ya up down to the bone better either. I miss it, gonna have to get me another stove one of these days.

Re: Why - 02/05/20 10:51 PM

besides a furshed has to smell a little like wood smoke too.
Posted By: walleyed

Re: Why - 02/05/20 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by upstateNY
Been heating with wood all my life.Why does it relax me to just watch wood smoke come out of my chimney,,especially when its below zero outside?I really love it when walking back from my tree stand,and see my chimney billowing smoke.

Because you realize that you're doing your part to promote

Global Warming & Climate Change,

and helping to keep us Northern New Yorkers from freezing to death !!! laugh

w
Posted By: Matt28

Re: Why - 02/05/20 10:54 PM

My house is all electric. I put a wood stove in just to have it to relax.

Re: Why - 02/05/20 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by walleyed

Because you realize that you're doing your part to promote

Global Warming & Climate Change,

and helping to keep us Northern New Yorkers from freezing to death !!! laugh

w

You run out of donuts again? wink
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Why - 02/05/20 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Catch22

Same with coal for me. I used to go outside just to smell it and see the smoke come out of the chimney, it does have a calming effect. Nothing heats ya up down to the bone better either. I miss it, gonna have to get me another stove one of these days.

I still do that..walk out on the deck so I can see the smoke after I throw some wood in.
Posted By: Fleshnugget

Re: Why - 02/05/20 11:03 PM

I agree. That feeling is unlike any other. There is something primal about warming up in front of a fire. My little 1,000sqf house is solely heated by wood. I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Re: Why - 02/05/20 11:04 PM

I also love throwing a chunk of birch in there just for the smell.When splitting my wood,I keep some birch separate just for that purpose.

Cherry too, I love the smell of cherry wood smoke.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Why - 02/05/20 11:05 PM

Yes it surly is relaxing. Have a fire ring out in the back yard that gets used a lot during the year just for that purpose.

Re: Why - 02/05/20 11:05 PM

Heck No.

You asked and I thought I was paying you a compliment.

I hate cold, and I love the smell of woodsmoke !!!! laugh

Re: Why - 02/05/20 11:07 PM

Hot cast iron has the magnetic ability to attract dogs and older humans, both of which are usually rendered unconscious shortly thereafter.

Re: Why - 02/05/20 11:11 PM

Heck No.

You asked and I thought I was paying you a compliment.

I hate cold, and I love the smell of woodsmoke !!!! laugh

Lol,,just bustin yer chops,,,plus I would really love a apple cider donut right now for some reason. smile
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Why - 02/05/20 11:32 PM

Because you are the one that made it happen!
Posted By: JTaddeo

Re: Why - 02/05/20 11:34 PM

I have a wood stove that needs rebuilt and installed I just haven't done it. I agree too, having raised 4 kids on wood and coal heating, deer meat and other game, plenty of fish, and a garden. I miss wood heating some, but cutting wood is a task though. Still it's good for you to do and the fire itself is good for the primal man for sure. I love a big old convincing bonfire outside too, but that's another story entirely.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Why - 02/05/20 11:40 PM

It warms my heart because that smoke is free just a lot of work.
Posted By: EdP

Re: Why - 02/05/20 11:42 PM

I think it might be instinctual. How long have homo sapiens been gathering around a fire for warmth, companionship, protection from predators, and to cook their food, all of which provide comfort?

Re: Why - 02/05/20 11:43 PM

Lol,,just bustin yer chops,,,plus I would really love a apple cider donut right now for some reason. smile

Head on up to the Burrville Cider Mill on the outskirts of Watertown, N.Y. on Route 12

They have best apple cider dognuts in Northern New York !!! laugh

w

Re: Why - 02/05/20 11:47 PM

Head on up to the Burrville Cider Mill on the outskirts of Watertown, N.Y. on Route 12

They have best apple cider dognuts in Northern New York !!! laugh

w

Ohh man.Wish you didn't tell me that.I will be trying that now,,probley this weekend.They open on Saturdays?
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Why - 02/05/20 11:48 PM

Instinctual 4 sure.
I save the Black Cherry for smell affect.
It was grown and harvested on fencerows and creek bottoms.

Re: Why - 02/05/20 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Wright Brothers
Instinctual 4 sure.
I save the Black Cherry for smell affect.
It was grown and harvested on fencerows and creek bottoms.

I love the smell of cherry wood even when I'm splitting it.
Posted By: spotter

Re: Why - 02/05/20 11:52 PM

Yeah l love em too. I’ll never forget when I was about ten sitting in front of our old ornate wood stove with my dad, when my old man took a drag off his cigarette and looked at me and solemnly asked if I knew the three main parts to a woodstove.
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Why - 02/06/20 12:02 AM

Left mine go out for first time.
Need to beg, borrow, or buy a newer big ladder.
Posted By: il.trapper

Re: Why - 02/06/20 12:02 AM

Our old cabin in Tn. I could sit for hours with an open door stove, a coal oil lamp over my shoulder, something liquid to help my innards, reading a book. When I was real lucky a light rain would be falling on the tin roof.

Was it Marty on mountain man said, .............There is nothing in this world feels as good as warmth when your really cold ?
Posted By: wheelers

Re: Why - 02/06/20 01:21 AM

I enjoy the smell of it
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Why - 02/06/20 01:27 AM

Just peaceful sight!!! That's Why wink
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Why - 02/06/20 01:28 AM

Can't beat a big chunk of coon fat in it either! grin Sorry, guess you were talkin in the house! I have an outside boiler, had to sniff my coat after I stoked it to get my fix!
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Why - 02/06/20 01:32 AM

I was going to say primal. A link to a distant past that proceeds any written word.
Posted By: bulldozerjoe

Re: Why - 02/06/20 01:40 AM

Sometimes I drive by my house just to see it smoking lol
Posted By: Squash

Re: Why - 02/06/20 12:25 PM

Other reasons, not subsidizing OPEC and big oil, carbon neutral, and other than the work involved and the little fossil fuel used to put it up, my firewood is free. Also, what someone else stated, instinctual .
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Why - 02/06/20 12:34 PM

love it when -10 or so then the smoke is awesome...just always been a way of life here. Have my own woodlot to manage and use and my son learns these things. But then,I hope he is a Dr and has more important things to worry about. grin

Re: Why - 02/06/20 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by west river rogue
love it when -10 or so then the smoke is awesome...just always been a way of life here.

I guess at our age Steve,,it don't take much to humor us.Lol

Re: Why - 02/06/20 12:38 PM

love it when -10 or so then the smoke is awesome...just always been a way of life here.

I guess at our age Steve,,it don't take much to humor us.Lol

youre right!!

Re: Why - 02/06/20 12:40 PM

i'm waiting on a deep freeze to drop about 85 mature hickory.over run with the stuff.

when checking yesterday,i ran into a father son burnin brush and clearing land.was almost jealous.
Posted By: gryhkl

Re: Why - 02/06/20 12:44 PM

Radiated heat, like that from burning wood, is said to feel better that convection heat from many other forms.
Being next to the wood stove at camp make it hard for me to get through many pages of a book before nodding off.
If I didn't get free house gas in my home I would have wood heat. I still cut lots of fire wood.

Re: Why - 02/06/20 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by gryhkl
Radiated heat, like that from burning wood, is said to feel better that convection heat from many other forms.
Being next to the wood stove at camp make it hard for me to get through many pages of a book before nodding off.
If I didn't get free house gas in my home I would have wood heat. I still cut lots of fire wood.

I enjoy the cutting and splitting part also.Its a good kind of work.

Re: Why - 02/06/20 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by gryhkl

I enjoy the cutting and splitting part also.Its a good kind of work.

use to run out and split a few in my skivies but now I"d be sick.
Hows that image for your minds eye?

Re: Why - 02/06/20 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by pcr2
i'm waiting on a deep freeze to drop about 85 mature hickory.over run with the stuff.

when checking yesterday,i ran into a father son burnin brush and clearing land.was almost jealous.

Shagbark hickory gives out more BTUs than a lot of other woods and smells good burning too.

Re: Why - 02/06/20 12:53 PM

i've found the answer to a lot of things over the drone of a chainsaw or splitter motor

Re: Why - 02/06/20 12:54 PM

no splitter here,,never wanted nor needed one. I enjoy splitting.

Re: Why - 02/06/20 12:55 PM

Steve,,you probley just made us all go blind!Lol

Re: Why - 02/06/20 12:56 PM

Steve,,you problem just made us all go blind!Lol

grin grin grin grin or puke

Re: Why - 02/06/20 12:57 PM

have big poplars too and the pair dried right and mixed is great.all these are over 20 in chest high and only 2 ugly ones.nice log trees but i can make way more as firewood for outside burners.folks love it.i will also stockplle a lot of natural handle material and have amish coming to take a couple loads for chair caning.

Re: Why - 02/06/20 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by pcr2
have big poplars too and the pair dried right and mixed is great.all these are over 20 in chest high and only 2 ugly ones.nice log trees but i can make way more as firewood for outside burners.folks love it.i will also stockplle a lot of natural handle material and have amish coming to take a couple loads for chair caning.

Mostly ash,maple and cherry on my place but I also have a lot of huge poplars I need to start thining out before they fall down on their own.

Re: Why - 02/06/20 01:01 PM

all my ash got borers and died...had to get rid of my cherry yrs ago As the leaves killed livestock after frost and foundered horses.
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Why - 02/06/20 01:05 PM

Steve,,you probley just made us all go blind!Lol

My eyes my eyes, noooooooo. grin

Re: Why - 02/06/20 01:06 PM

grin grin grin grin grin

Re: Why - 02/06/20 01:06 PM

all my ash got borers and died...had to get rid of my cherry yrs ago As the leaves killed livestock after frost and foundered horses.

Never knew that about the cherry leaves and livestock.

Re: Why - 02/06/20 01:21 PM

yep,,gotta get my county extensionist out here to identify toxics before I put a meat goat herd here. Been a few yrs(10) since I kept horses here.
Posted By: gryhkl

Re: Why - 02/06/20 01:31 PM

I don't know anyone who burns poplar.
My brother(retired) cuts all his wood from my property. Lots of ash, black cherry, red and white oak, and some hickory,(WO is our favorite) He bought a splitter a few years ago and has at least 4 years worth stacked under cover and was out back cutting more yesterday. From fall through spring, if he's not hunting he's cutting firewood.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Why - 02/06/20 01:32 PM

Doubt you could kill a goat that way, Steve. Don't know it for a fact, but believe they are more like deer. Dang things can eat everything else!
Posted By: white17

Re: Why - 02/06/20 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by spotter
Yeah l love em too. I’ll never forget when I was about ten sitting in front of our old ornate wood stove with my dad, when my old man took a drag off his cigarette and looked at me and solemnly asked if I knew the three main parts to a woodstove.

I think most everyone here missed that one Steve laugh Must be a generational thing !!!

Re: Why - 02/06/20 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by white17
Originally Posted by spotter

I think most everyone here missed that one Steve laugh Must be a generational thing !!!

grin grin grin grin

Re: Why - 02/06/20 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by lee steinmeyer
Doubt you could kill a goat that way, Steve. Don't know it for a fact, but believe they are more like deer. Dang things can eat everything else!

at the cost of meat goats lee better safe than sorry!
Posted By: mike mason

Re: Why - 02/06/20 01:50 PM

Cutting/splitting/burning wood and trapping are a sickness and we love every minute of it!
Posted By: newfox1

Re: Why - 02/08/20 08:21 PM

Pp [Linked Image]
Warmin the shed for a few adult beverages later!
Posted By: vermontster

Re: Why - 02/08/20 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by newfox1
Pp [Linked Image]
Warmin the shed for a few adult beverages later!

Your camp looks great going to mine next weekend for three days. TRUMP 2020!
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Why - 02/08/20 08:55 PM

been cutting and splitting today , in for lunch , need to get back out and finish

a day of cutting , split , stack , followed by my rocker pulled up near the fire = asleep
Posted By: Boco

Re: Why - 02/08/20 08:58 PM

Too much wood smoke will kill your lungs worse than cigarettes.

Re: Why - 02/08/20 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Boco

o k mom
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Why - 02/09/20 01:31 AM

no smoke however from my stove unless at start up or just added wood then only for a few minutes.

mail man asked one day 2 years after I got the stove. I see all that wood and the chimney but never any smoke. don't you ever have a fire?

had to tell him look closer see the heat bending the light , it almost never smokes and it is almost never not burning when cold.

Re: Why - 02/09/20 04:03 AM

That's why here in the states we don't suck on the chimney pipe like you folks.
Posted By: run

Re: Why - 02/09/20 10:55 AM

I like wood stoves too. Even though it's not below 0 for me.
Posted By: run

Re: Why - 02/09/20 10:56 AM

That's why here in the states we don't suck on the chimney pipe like you folks.

LOL. I love it.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums