Home

ATV problem and question

Posted By: danvee

ATV problem and question - 02/07/20 06:33 PM

I have a yamaha Grizzly and was pushing snow today stopped to back up and it quit. I wont turn over but I know I have a new battery and the winch and heat grips work. Any ideas of what to look at once I get it in the shop?? It was running fine and starting fine but like I stated it will not turn over. I guessing electrical but wondering if Im missing something or where to look first .
Posted By: run

Re: ATV problem and question - 02/07/20 06:35 PM

Fuses, short in the wire, could be a wide variety of things.
Posted By: turkn8rtrapper

Re: ATV problem and question - 02/07/20 06:44 PM

As already stated plus it could be the starter it'self. Start with wiring check the solenoid and fuses then starter.
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: ATV problem and question - 02/07/20 06:46 PM

Check starter solenoid- do you hear clicking when you try to start it?
Posted By: vermontster

Re: ATV problem and question - 02/07/20 07:20 PM

I had my bridge rectifier go bad when riding and my wheeler was running and just quit. I would check that also. Replaced mine and runs normal.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: ATV problem and question - 02/07/20 07:45 PM

Kill switch?
Posted By: Owen156

Re: ATV problem and question - 02/07/20 07:51 PM

Check starter relay under seat. You didnt by accident hit the kill switch on the left handlebar did you?
Posted By: TreedaBlackdog

Re: ATV problem and question - 02/07/20 08:52 PM

check solenoid - should likely be clicking - can jump across it to check starter and isolate solenoid
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: ATV problem and question - 02/07/20 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
Kill switch?

I did that once and tried to solve every other potential problem before I figured that one out!! mad

Chris
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: ATV problem and question - 02/07/20 10:47 PM

blown fuse?
Posted By: Zim

Re: ATV problem and question - 02/08/20 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by Hodagtrapper
Originally Posted by Law Dog
Kill switch?

I did that once and tried to solve every other potential problem before I figured that one out!! mad

Chris

Yep, same here.

Zim
Posted By: danvee

Re: ATV problem and question - 02/08/20 04:09 AM

Dumb me it was the kill switch!! sounds like some of you have done the same thing, nothing like other opinions before you go tearing into things. Thanks friends
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: ATV problem and question - 02/08/20 04:12 AM

Glad to help! Glad you are up and running again!

Chris
Posted By: MAArcher

Re: ATV problem and question - 02/08/20 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by danvee
Dumb me it was the kill switch!! sounds like some of you have done the same thing, nothing like other opinions before you go tearing into things. Thanks friends

Ha ha ha!

I’m not laughing with you, I’m laughing at you. But I can do that because I’ve done the same thing only I was 5 miles from pavement and had my buddy tow me home, and push me up onto the trailer. I figured it out the next day after I swapped out the solenoid and that didn’t work.
Posted By: minklessinpa

Re: ATV problem and question - 02/09/20 04:26 AM

been there, done that!
Posted By: slowpoke

Re: ATV problem and question - 02/09/20 06:10 AM

Yep , I did it years ago with a motorcycle...made me feel not to smart .... :-)
Posted By: jctunnelrat

Re: ATV problem and question - 02/09/20 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by slowpoke
Yep , I did it years ago with a motorcycle...made me feel not to smart .... :-)

LOL. Yep. Kind-of like forgetting to turn the gas petcock on. (but I've never done that.) -as my nose is about 6 inches longer now.
Posted By: Adiah007

Re: ATV problem and question - 02/09/20 03:39 PM

Well I have done that in the bass boat too. I have also learned that in an old Polaris ranger the gas tank can’t really been seen and never trust the gauge. Several days messing with it and finally adding fresh gas or some at least fixed it right up.
Posted By: vermontster

Re: ATV problem and question - 02/09/20 03:51 PM

I have a buddy that took his family on a vacation to a large lake and rented a pontoon boat. He took the family out for a cruise. They went a couple hours away and stopped for swimming. When he went to leave the boat wouldn’t start. They sat there for four hours and no cell service. Finally some how got cell service called the marina they sent a guy out. A couple hours the guy got to them and put the boat in neutral and started right up. Yup he was trying to start it in gear. This same guy I asked him to cook breakfast while turkey hunting and camping in the mountains. Well he started cooking and I could hear bubbling noises I looked over and he had melted a couple sticks of butter in the frying pan and put the sausage links in.
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: ATV problem and question - 02/09/20 04:01 PM

Also, anytime something isn’t starting. Check and tighten cables on batteries. Specially quads
© 2024 Trapperman Forums