Nope. Who makes it?
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Anyone seen this new 22 LR ammo - 02/09/20 02:25 AM

No, who makes it. looks interesting!!
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Anyone seen this new 22 LR ammo - 02/09/20 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by 12 point
Nope. Who makes it?

"These new all copper projectiles from Cutting Edge Bullets aren't available yet. But if an ammo manufacturer decides to load them, they could make for some impressive groups downrange." that's the caption to this picture.
Posted By: Finster

Re: Anyone seen this new 22 LR ammo - 02/09/20 02:44 AM

I haven't had very good luck with copper bullets. Grouping has been bad, penetration is not good. Being that these are ballistic tipped, I think things would be worse.
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: Anyone seen this new 22 LR ammo - 02/09/20 02:49 AM

Cutting Edge makes custom, lathe turned bullets. They sure wouldn’t be for plinking. LOL
Posted By: star flakes

Re: Anyone seen this new 22 LR ammo - 02/09/20 03:49 AM

There is not any down range for a 22 rim fire. There is not enough powder to send the projectile with consistent lethal results, and that includes expansion for a ballistic tip.
Something like this "might" have a use in a handgun for close self protection loads, but the old Winchester hollow points already fulfill anything these bullets could achieve.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: Anyone seen this new 22 LR ammo - 02/09/20 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by star flakes
There is not any down range for a 22 rim fire. There is not enough powder to send the projectile with consistent lethal results, and that includes expansion for a ballistic tip.
Something like this "might" have a use in a handgun for close self protection loads, but the old Winchester hollow points already fulfill anything these bullets could achieve.

[Linked Image]

Agreed. Kind of like expecting the next best thing from a shovel.
Posted By: ghhunter

Re: Anyone seen this new 22 LR ammo - 02/09/20 05:19 AM

The bullets in the video are for long range rimfire competition not for hunting.
Posted By: KiwiTrapper

Re: Anyone seen this new 22 LR ammo - 02/09/20 12:02 PM

I guess for those in country's limited to rim fire this could provide some useful purposes, likewise for those where lead ammunition is unable to be used in certain places.

Rim fire ammunition is typically inconsistent accuracy wise, I think the best atm is ekkly match.
This might interest a few people, but the average plinker is not shooting at the Olympics.

What would really interest me is a copper solid .17hmr, the extra velocity would be good use of the materials, perhaps a tumbling bullet design....

Somehow I think this bullet will sell but only because youtube exists and people want to see giant gummy bears shot with unique projectiles from high velocity acceleration devices that aren't firearms.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Anyone seen this new 22 LR ammo - 02/09/20 02:55 PM

Those look like pretty expensive feeding problems to me. That and with the average speed of a 22lr, it is hard enough to get a lead bullet to expand in small game let alone a copper one.
Posted By: Marty B

Re: Anyone seen this new 22 LR ammo - 02/09/20 03:06 PM

you guys are missing the point.

There are dips out there buying coolers for $500, camo pants for $400, I even saw a snowflake genius on a hunting forum opining about the advantages of Titanium chopsticks for back country hunting.

The only practical application stuff like this is designed for is to get the dips money that yeti tapped into.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Anyone seen this new 22 LR ammo - 02/09/20 03:14 PM

Well Im sure quite a bit of Testing and $$ was laid out before they ever announced it at all.

So for their intended use ...the designers must have had their desired results.

Now whether the public buys into it....thats the question.
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: Anyone seen this new 22 LR ammo - 02/09/20 04:23 PM

Again, these aren’t for the general public, like most of us. These are custom machined bullets, built for maximum accuracy.
Posted By: seniortrap

Re: Anyone seen this new 22 LR ammo - 02/09/20 06:30 PM

Marty B: There are dips out there buying coolers for $500, camo pants for $400

That's how those manufacturers bait the "snow flake genius" in! grin

Personally, I've used CCI Stingers for 25 years. A 32 grain hollow point that destroys a squirrel at 40-50 yards.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Anyone seen this new 22 LR ammo - 02/09/20 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Marty B
you guys are missing the point.

There are dips out there buying coolers for $500, camo pants for $400, I even saw a snowflake genius on a hunting forum opining about the advantages of Titanium chopsticks for back country hunting.

The only practical application stuff like this is designed for is to get the dips money that yeti tapped into.

Hunted with a guy like this fall. What his gear cost truly blew my mind, but it didnt help him with his lack of desire to get very far from his truck. So in the evenings we would talk about how many bucks we saw and he would brag about how much his super high tech panties cost
Posted By: Marty B

Re: Anyone seen this new 22 LR ammo - 02/09/20 07:05 PM

Looks like in 2020 the little .22 LR will undergo some metamorphosis and turn into a completely different animal. A couple of months ago we talked about solid copper bullets being developed for .22 LR by Lehigh Defence. And today, we’ll take a look at experiments done by another company known for making solid projectiles – Cutting Edge Bullets. They have shared on their social media pages a couple of pictures of .22 LR cartridges loaded with solid copper heeled spitzer bullets.

Apparently, rimfire ELR (Extreme Long Range) competitions are becoming more and more popular and that’s the application Cutting Edge Bullets develops these cartridges for. According to the company, that they are experimenting with 30, 40 and 50 grain bullet weights. The 30 grain one will be designed for the barrels with standard factory twist rates. The heavier and longer bullets will obviously need faster twist rates. Cutting Edge Bullets have been testing these bullets in a Vudoo Gun Works rifle with a custom twist rate.

Note also that at least some of these .22 LR cartridges are loaded to a longer overall length than the standard .22 LR. I think it may be relatively easy to convert .22 WMR actions and magazines to use these longer loaded .22 LR cartridges along with custom barrels with faster twist rates. The rim dimensions of .22 WMR and .22 LR are not identical, however, the conversion should not be extremely difficult.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog...-lr-elr-ammo-with-solid-spitzer-bullets/
Posted By: coydog2

Re: Anyone seen this new 22 LR ammo - 02/09/20 07:48 PM

I think why they came out with these round for the lead free states like CA
Posted By: Rally

Re: Anyone seen this new 22 LR ammo - 02/09/20 09:07 PM

It would be interesting to see where those points are in a tubular magazine rifle, when under even minor spring pressure. Perhaps not the market they are marketing to, but you know some Bubba is going to try them as soon as they are available. Some of the older rifles, like Mossbergs and Springfields, have overly large tube magazines and the loaded shells tip to one side or the other when loaded and then the tube is closed with spring compressed in the tube follower.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Anyone seen this new 22 LR ammo - 02/11/20 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by coydog2
I think why they came out with these round for the lead free states like CA

x2
© 2024 Trapperman Forums