Home

Live bait

Posted By: Arkansas87

Live bait - 02/11/20 02:23 AM

Who keeps live bait like shiners shad or bluegill at home for fishing
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Live bait - 02/11/20 02:31 AM

I frequently keep fish for bait mostly in a large aquarium or stock tank.

I want to put in a small pond to raise fathead minnows in.

Keith
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Live bait - 02/11/20 02:31 AM

Bullheads, yep.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Live bait - 02/11/20 02:34 AM

In the Summer I do

Re: Live bait - 02/11/20 02:49 AM

Nice set up ADC. what ya keep the bullheads for? Flathead bait?
Posted By: SundanceMtnMan

Re: Live bait - 02/11/20 03:17 AM

Can't use live bait except bugs and worms in Idaho. frown
Posted By: TRAPDOC57

Re: Live bait - 02/11/20 03:18 AM

I keep suckers, chubs, and bluegills in my rain barrels. I have to restock before I start fishing this spring. I used them all for trapping bait. The fish eat the mosquito larva all summer and fertilize the water I use for my garden.

Re: Live bait - 02/11/20 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by Arkansas87
Nice set up ADC. what ya keep the bullheads for? Flathead bait?

Yes.

Re: Live bait - 02/11/20 03:40 AM

What kind of filter you have on the tank ADC? I had a good tank set up almost finished I was building out of a chest freezer. Had it almost done and puting the last screw in the spray bar and let the dang freon out of it.. thought I had all the lines marked just right but that last screw found one. Kinda let the wind out of me after that. I'm thinking about trying to come up with a new tank idea now though. I kept shiners and gills in a small pool last year but I want something more permanent. The pool worked ok tho and was cheep. 8$ at walmart lol. But the round shape made it really hard to net those quick shinners

Re: Live bait - 02/11/20 03:45 AM

Pool set up

Attached picture 2020-02-10 21.42.35.png

Re: Live bait - 02/11/20 03:46 AM

Never did have a filter. Just changed the water when it got dirty. Water bill got kinda high tho

Re: Live bait - 02/11/20 03:52 AM

What kind of filter you have on the tank ADC? I had a good tank set up almost finished I was building out of a chest freezer. Had it almost done and puting the last screw in the spray bar and let the dang freon out of it.. thought I had all the lines marked just right but that last screw found one. Kinda let the wind out of me after that. I'm thinking about trying to come up with a new tank idea now though. I kept shiners and gills in a small pool last year but I want something more permanent. The pool worked ok tho and was cheep. 8$ at walmart lol. But the round shape made it really hard to net those quick shinners

No filter. With the bullheads I put them in an aerated plastic 55gal barrel of creek water to "clean out" over night, when put them into this tank, which is tap water with this added... https://www.walmart.com/ip/sure-lif...g5svI5wIVyEXVCh3nSwoiEAQYAyABEgI1SvD_BwE I mix it up a couple days before I'm putting bait in it. I use an old C-Pap machine to pump air along with a couple 110v aerators. Feed them a small handful of catfish pellets every day or so. I typically only keep them 3-4 weeks tops before I have used them up and switch to fresh water when I go catch the next batch.

Re: Live bait - 02/11/20 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by TRAPDOC57
I keep suckers, chubs, and bluegills in my rain barrels. I have to restock before I start fishing this spring. I used them all for trapping bait. The fish eat the mosquito larva all summer and fertilize the water I use for my garden.

Thats really cool!!!

Re: Live bait - 02/11/20 04:36 AM

Yes the rain barrel is very cool! Wish I could set up something like that. But it gets so hot here in the summer I dnt think it would work. The freezer tank I was gonna be the ticket for me to be able to keep the water cool. But I still might try to use a smaller chest freezer I have to make a filter system with. Would filter water and cool it at the same time. Soon as I figure out what I'm gonna do for a tank il prolly try to find a way to do my freezer filter idea
Posted By: kyron4

Re: Live bait - 02/11/20 04:40 AM

I use half of a white 55 gallon plastic drum with aerator and filter in the corner of my shop. I add a product called U-2 , I thinks it's called, turns the water blue and helps keep fish alive and frisky. We catch chubs and small gills for catfishing in the summer.

Re: Live bait - 02/11/20 04:42 AM

Thanks for the link ADC. I will give that a try when I get my tank set up. I think I might try to build a tank out of wood and line it with something. Build it like out of 2×12's. Make it like 2 feet deep by 2 feet wide and about 10 feet long. That way bait would be easier to net? I would haveto figure it but I want around 200-300 gallons I reckon.
Posted By: danvee

Re: Live bait - 02/11/20 05:17 AM

Mine always dye off when it gets hot especially with the aerators going.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Live bait - 02/11/20 06:16 AM

Thanks for the link ADC. I will give that a try when I get my tank set up. I think I might try to build a tank out of wood and line it with something. Build it like out of 2×12's. Make it like 2 feet deep by 2 feet wide and about 10 feet long. That way bait would be easier to net? I would haveto figure it but I want around 200-300 gallons I reckon.

It would be cheaper and easier to use a 275 gallon or 330 gallon poly tote tank. Just cut the cage and top off. You can get them off Craigslist for free to $35.00. Make sure it was not used to hold toxic materials. People frequently use the totes to raise tilapia, koi and shrimp in.

Keith
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Live bait - 02/11/20 07:42 AM

Shiners and smelts

Re: Live bait - 02/18/20 01:32 AM

Well fellas what ya think

Attached picture 2020-02-17 11.32.27.png

Re: Live bait - 02/18/20 01:33 AM

Holding water

Attached picture 2020-02-17 11.31.33.png

Re: Live bait - 02/18/20 01:37 AM

The freezer at the end is gonna be my filter. Gonna pump water in it through some filter material and then let it go through an over flow pipe in the side I'm gonna put in and then back into the tank. Will filter and cool the water at the same time. I think it just might work

Re: Live bait - 02/18/20 01:53 AM

Looks like it should work. You'll need a cover to keep them fish from jumping out won't ya? I use a 1/4" hardware cloth over mine if I put anything but bullheads in it.

Re: Live bait - 02/18/20 01:55 AM

Holding water

Looks Good

Re: Live bait - 02/18/20 03:11 AM

Yea I figure I will need some kind of cover. The hardware cloth is a good idea.iv only got a few shiners in it now left over from Sundays fishing trip.they dnt seem to be doing much jumping cause I think there is not very many in there. I dnt have much money in it. Just 2 sheets of plywood a few 2×4's and a tarp.holds 240 gallons.haven't got my pump yet tho.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums