Home

Good book of stories

Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Good book of stories - 02/11/20 05:53 PM

I have a friend who just had shoulder surgery, I want to get him a good book full of true stories. Mountain men/outdoor type stories. Anyone have suggestions?
Posted By: k snow

Re: Good book of stories - 02/11/20 05:54 PM

"Journal of a Trapper" by Osborne Russell.

Not stories, just one man's journal of his time in the mountains during the last of the beaver years.
Posted By: trappingmichigan

Re: Good book of stories - 02/11/20 06:04 PM

"My sixty years on the plains, trapping, trading and Indian fighting" by William Thomas Hamilton.
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Good book of stories - 02/11/20 06:04 PM

A Life Wild and Perilous by Robert Utley is a good book relating true stories of the free trappers. I have a lot of mountain man books and journals, and There are a lot of good ones. Osborne Russell was a company man, and I find the journals of the free trappers more interesting, plus Russell was known to embellish events and tell some tall tales. Doesn't mean it's not a good read though.

Otherwise, anything by Peter Hathaway Capstick or Jim Corbett. These are really good books about hunting.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Good book of stories - 02/11/20 06:05 PM

[Linked Image]
A Great True Read you can buy one online
Posted By: River Birch

Re: Good book of stories - 02/11/20 09:46 PM

[Linked Image]

Posted By: River Birch

Re: Good book of stories - 02/11/20 09:48 PM

http://www.stoneydale.com/product_info.php?products_id=376

Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: Good book of stories - 02/13/20 04:03 AM

"50 years a Trapper and Treasure Hunter"by Johnny Thorpe
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Good book of stories - 02/13/20 12:43 PM

Ben East put out a few book, can't remember the titles
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Good book of stories - 02/13/20 12:53 PM

Wayne Negus did a couple books on trapping that were stories of his life. Excellent reading.
Posted By: CajunMan

Re: Good book of stories - 02/13/20 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
[Linked Image]
A Great True Read you can buy one online

That is a good one, I have it.
Posted By: Redknot

Re: Good book of stories - 02/13/20 01:55 PM

Bob Halbritter's "Heart of a Hunter" [Linked Image]
I read it last year...
Posted By: Gator Foot

Re: Good book of stories - 02/13/20 05:23 PM

Ttt
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Good book of stories - 02/13/20 05:38 PM

What was the name of that story where a guy marries a gal and they move to AK or somewhere north? He leaves her in their wilderness cabin. Goes off trapping or hunting and gets killed. She has to learn to fend for herself in an environment she's not accustomed to.
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Good book of stories - 02/14/20 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper7
What was the name of that story where a guy marries a gal and they move to AK or somewhere north? He leaves her in their wilderness cabin. Goes off trapping or hunting and gets killed. She has to learn to fend for herself in an environment she's not accustomed to.

Mink mary and me by Chick Ferguson?
Posted By: trapperjim1

Re: Good book of stories - 02/14/20 02:21 PM

Trapping through the Years, and On the Line . Both by Charles Dobbins, and no I'm not sucking up to the bossman here. They are just real good reads.
Posted By: ZAC

Re: Good book of stories - 02/14/20 02:31 PM

I agree, they are good books. I always enjoyed Charlie’s writing style. I swear when I read his stuff it’s just like talking to him at a convention. I swear I can hear his his voice in my head telling the stories or giving instruction. Maybe I’ve watched to many trapping videos. But I get the same imagery and hear their voice with other trappers books I’ve read to
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Good book of stories - 02/14/20 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by the Blak Spot
Originally Posted by Trapper7

Mink mary and me by Chick Ferguson?

I don't think that's it. As I recall, it might have been a movie I started to watch on TV, but didn't get to finish it. I think it might have had the word "North" in it.
Posted By: MikeTraps2

Re: Good book of stories - 02/14/20 05:24 PM

"Liver Eatign Johnson" - The "true" story of Jeremiah Johnson - good reading
Posted By: BvrRetriever

Re: Good book of stories - 02/14/20 05:27 PM

In addition to Alaska's Wolf Man, another good one is Three Against the Wilderness. I was made aware of both books from others from Tman. Both are non-fiction accounts of life in Alaska.
Posted By: Dean Chapel

Re: Good book of stories - 02/14/20 07:53 PM

A tough trip through paradise- a Hispanic in early Montana and his time with Indians, buffalo hunting, running a trading post of sorts. He happens to be a very funny writer.
My Life as an Indian; The Story of a Red Woman and a White Man in the Lodges of the Blackfeet [James Willard Schultz]
Posted By: Jasper69

Re: Good book of stories - 02/14/20 08:38 PM

Trapper7, I think you are talking about the story of Olive Frederckson. There were numerous stories in the old Outdoor Life magazine about her and how she survived. Her book was "The Silence of the North".

Any books by Russell Annabel are excellent. Ernest Hemingway called Russell Annabel the best outdoor writer he had ever read
© 2024 Trapperman Forums