Home

AR15 Guys

Posted By: Zim

AR15 Guys - 02/12/20 02:51 AM

I am building a new one, kind of on the upper scale of things.
I would like your opinions on 223 Wylde versus 5.56 NATO chamber.
Hoping to keep the upper at 1K or so, 2K or a bit more finished with lower and scope.
Thoughts on a 16" or 18" barrel?

Thanks, Zim
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: AR15 Guys - 02/12/20 02:57 AM

20 inch barrel and Wlde chambered . Or .223 rem the 223 rem has the most accuracy potential. But you should not shoot 5.56 nato out of it. The wilde has a throat that is between the 223 and nato chamber so you can shoot both types but with a little more accuracy than the nato chamber if that makes sense. The 20 inch barrel because you can if you roll your own take advantage of the slower powders more so for heavier bullts .... get a 1 in 7 or 1 in 8 twist to stabilize heavier bulets.

There thats my two cents worth on the matter.

Re: AR15 Guys - 02/12/20 03:09 AM

Thanks Scuba, I was hoping for your input. I have a Rock River with a 20" heavy barrel 1/8 twist and it is a great shooter.
2 stage trigger and a top end scope on it, the only problem is ya pert near need a gun bearer to haul it around for you.
I have a 16" carbine that I built with a red dot on it that is just fine for what it is intended for except I need to put a better trigger in it.
Looking to build something in between the two.
Any one ever heard of Odin Gun Works?

Thanks, Zim
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: AR15 Guys - 02/12/20 03:16 AM

Probably no help at all to you Zim but if I were building an AR with that budget, I believe I'd go .17 rem. Always wanted one of those. Anyway good luck on your build.

~ADC~
Posted By: tenextom

Re: AR15 Guys - 02/12/20 03:16 AM

With the Wylde chamber and a 8 twist barrel you can use bullets up to 80 grains, although you`ll have to single load the 80`s as they`re too long for the mag. Either Bartlein or Kreiger barrel, twenty inches for best accuracy, a Geisle trigger in the lower and you`ve got the best available stuff for out to 600 yards.

Re: AR15 Guys - 02/12/20 03:17 AM

Yup Odin makes some nice stuff and is not to pricey either for what ya get. Having said that, what makes or breaks a AR is the barrel and the trigger ....... there is 90% of your shooting capabilities. the rest is just the stuff that holds things together and fluff .... there are folks who will be able to discuss the merits of M lock over keypad hand guards at length and vice a versa. At the end of the day it does not make it shoot any better. Pick a stock that is comfortable for you same goes for the pistol grip ..... I have big hands and long arms so will probably like a different grip and stock to what you would want etc.
Posted By: white17

Re: AR15 Guys - 02/12/20 03:22 AM

Shame on you for even WANTING an AR !! How will you virtue signal or vote correctly if you own an AR?? .............Unless you're already dead.

Re: AR15 Guys - 02/12/20 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
Probably no help at all to you Zim but if I were building an AR with that budget, I believe I'd go .17 rem. Always wanted one of those. Anyway good luck on your build.

~ADC~

Thanks Jaimie, because of your skinning outfit I am still able to bend my finger enough to pull a trigger! grin
After this one 300 Blackout pistol or a 10mm or ???

Zim

Re: AR15 Guys - 02/12/20 03:26 AM

6.5 Grendel and 458 SOCOM are fun

Re: AR15 Guys - 02/12/20 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by white17
Shame on you for even WANTING an AR !! How will you virtue signal or vote correctly if you own an AR?? .............Unless you're already dead.

Hey... Ain't you got a wolverine to suffocate or some such thing?

Zim

Re: AR15 Guys - 02/12/20 03:33 AM

I wouldn't do anything like that !! I usually rip their carotid out with my teeth !!
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: AR15 Guys - 02/12/20 03:34 AM

Why a .223?

The sky is the limit when it comes to these things and there are so many options. I've only been involved with a MSR for a year and I almost wish I hadn't gone down this rabbit hole.

I'm in the process of ordering parts to build another, I'm going to build a quality lower, and use it with multiple uppers. I've pretty much nailed this build down to 20 practical, 20 inch medium heavy fluted ss barrel threaded for suppressor.
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: AR15 Guys - 02/12/20 03:37 AM

I purchased an AR15 6 months ago and have yet to take it out of the box. Expensive way to tell my liberal friends I have one to upset them.

Re: AR15 Guys - 02/12/20 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by white17
I wouldn't do anything like that !! I usually rip their carotid out with my teeth !!

Yep, now that I think about it I seen that on u tube.
That caused me to be a vegetarian that very day.
Also made me confused on what bathroom to use.

Zim

Re: AR15 Guys - 02/12/20 03:42 AM

I figured that !!

Re: AR15 Guys - 02/12/20 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by Zim

Yep, now that I think about it I seen that on u tube.
That caused me to be a vegetarian that very day.
Also made me confused on what bathroom to use.

Zim

Its a long wait till Zuchini season opening day Zim

[Linked Image]

Re: AR15 Guys - 02/12/20 04:02 AM

LMAO
Nice cat.

Zim

Re: AR15 Guys - 02/12/20 04:07 AM

Scuba, as long as yer on here gimmee your opinion on scopes for said build.
Looking at a Trijicon 1 by 4. about $700 without mounts.

Zim
Posted By: trapper234

Re: AR15 Guys - 02/12/20 04:33 AM

People need to vote before we loose the 2nd amendment right!
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: AR15 Guys - 02/12/20 04:34 AM

Zim I would back up and ask what do you want to do with said AR?

sounds like you have a heavy barrel gun and a light but really set up for short range with the red dot

maybe something in the middle 18 inch 223 wylde barrel http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/gm-m18-18-223-wylde-chamber/

a nice trigger , depends on what you like for feel single stage , 2 stage , flat face , curved and what you want for pull weight

M-lock free float hand guard

some mid magnification optic

just an idea , it depends what your wanting to do with it.

Re: AR15 Guys - 02/12/20 05:03 AM

Hey Pete! I was hoping to hear from you also.
Looking to build something in-between what I have.
Upper end outfit but not ridiculous, I would like to keep
the build under 2.5K. The biggest question I have is optics, I guess.
I have an aero precision lower and a CMC trigger.
Leaning toward an Odin or LaRue upper. BMC stock.
2 to 3 hundred yard outfit, I can't see much further than that any more.
Would like to keep the optics under 1K or so.
Zim
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: AR15 Guys - 02/12/20 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Zim
LMAO
Nice cat.

Zim

It isn't widely known that the Siamese cat is worth it's weight in gold for pointing zuc's and cukes.

Mike
Posted By: K9BeavCoon

Re: AR15 Guys - 02/12/20 05:42 AM

I’d go with a mid weight 18” barrel like this or maybe even go lighter depending on use.
https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcm-18-ss410-barrel-with-rifle-length-gas-stripped-1-8-twist/

Sounds like you got everything else kinda figured. Trijicon, leupold,nightforce, etc. spend enough money and all that glass is pretty awesome. Just find one that has a reticle that works for you. Gotta love building AR’s, like legos for big boys.
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: AR15 Guys - 02/12/20 06:13 AM

You can build a really lightweight Wylde. Google around and look for those companies selling lightweight parts. 68forums has a member who has a ton of money and builds super lightweight ARs. Might check out the 6.8spc while your at it.
mt
Posted By: K9BeavCoon

Re: AR15 Guys - 02/12/20 12:43 PM

I know you said 300yd gun. But what’s your intended purpose? Shooting target, fighting, hunting deer and/or yotes?
Posted By: adam m

Re: AR15 Guys - 02/12/20 01:23 PM

Following this. I got 3 builds to do. 1 is for my daughter and will be given to her on her 15th or 16th birthday.

Re: AR15 Guys - 02/12/20 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by K9BeavCoon
I know you said 300yd gun. But what’s your intended purpose? Shooting target, fighting, hunting deer and/or yotes?

Targets and coyotes mostly, I have other stuff for deer.
I would prefer not to need it for fighting but ya never know,

Zim
Posted By: Catch22

Re: AR15 Guys - 02/12/20 02:54 PM

Howdy Zim. I'm hopefully gonna get my first build done before spring, we'll see. I have researched a long while and gathered parts over time. I went with a 20" SS fluted Green Mountain barrel. I read a lot of reviews and both GM and Odin are supposed to be tack drivers. For other parts I got some great deals at AR15discountparts.com. Look forward to pics of your build, maybe Patrice could put it on a plate. grin

Re: AR15 Guys - 02/12/20 02:54 PM

4x is a bit slim for shooting targets at 300 if you are chasing groups IMHO. Heck I have to get out the spotting scope when I sight in my 30-06 at 200 to find the holes in the paper and that has a 2.5x10X 56 Leupold on it.
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: AR15 Guys - 02/12/20 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Scuba1
4x is a bit slim for shooting targets at 300 if you are chasing groups IMHO. Heck I have to get out the spotting scope when I sight in my 30-06 at 200 to find the holes in the paper and that has a 2.5x10X 56 Leupold on it.

X2
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: AR15 Guys - 02/12/20 03:00 PM

You can always turn the high powered scope down but with a good rest it's nice to turn it up and see the look on a coyotes face!

Re: AR15 Guys - 02/12/20 04:43 PM

I am going to admit I don't spend much time looking at "high end " hardware

my kids eat a nice med-high end AR every month so my guns are all in the more budget range.

basically every AR is a 2-300 yard gun even the 16 inch

uppers and lowers are really all forgings coming from 4-5 places and different places machine them and finish add thier name

a matched receiver set like the Aero precision to get a nice matched upper and lower

a good barrel 16 or 18 inch fluted you don't need a heavy barrel to shoot accurately the approximately 50 fps gained by 2 more inches of barrel length really isn't noticed at 2-300 yards so I wouldn't hesitate to just go 16"

as to whether a nickle boron BCG vs a Nitrated BCG gives more reliability I don't know the basic Nitrieded BCG hasn't caused me any issues , I admittedly don't put multiple thousands of rounds through it each year either

nice trigger be it Geisly , Larue , timney , black rain

I might go in a bit less expensive rifle build and put a thermal optic on it that would open up more new possibilities

if not thermal then a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8 would be an ideal mid range gun optic https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-strike-eagle-1-8x24-ar-bdc2-moa-riflescope.html
Posted By: The Possum Man

Re: AR15 Guys - 02/12/20 05:14 PM

For optics dont overlook the primary arms 1-6x or vortex strike eagle 1-6x. (identical scopes) I have 2 of the primary arms and i have to say i have been pleasantly pleased with how they have held up for me and i am rough on equipment. For around the $300 price point they are quite nice and will go to nearly a true 1x for close range work. I use the leupold mark 2 mounts for them. I am generally a scope snob also so when i recommend them it means I am using them with no plans to upgrade.

For triggers you can buy a nice 2 stage national match trigger from rock river for $100. I use the varmint version and like them alot.
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: AR15 Guys - 02/12/20 06:54 PM

I built this one not too long ago with a .223 wilde barrel from midway. I put a Giesele three gun trigger in it and put on some Daniels furniture with a Vltr spring. It shoots as good as my bolt guns for accuracy. I wanted this color so I went to a paint shop here in town and they mixed me a primer and very hard paint. SO far it has held up nicely.

[Linked Image]

Re: AR15 Guys - 02/12/20 07:03 PM

On my 223 AR I have a Nikon 3 x 12 x 40 with a BCD reticle. Its pretty much on with my loads in 62 grains. Sight in at 100 then you can just dial in the distance as needed as it has the yardage on the turret. real easy to shoot out to 300 and more with it.
Posted By: Catch22

Re: AR15 Guys - 02/12/20 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Larry Baer
I built this one not too long ago with a .223 wilde barrel from midway. I put a Giesele three gun trigger in it and put on some Daniels furniture with a Vltr spring. It shoots as good as my bolt guns for accuracy. I wanted this color so I went to a paint shop here in town and they mixed me a primer and very hard paint. SO far it has held up nicely.

[Linked Image]

That looks sharp. Mine is pieces parts so when I get it together it's gonna be about four different colors lol. So I'm gonna camo it.
Posted By: star flakes

Re: AR15 Guys - 02/12/20 07:07 PM

Zim[/quote]

Its a long wait till Zuchini season opening day Zim

[Linked Image]

[/quote]

That is the Mother of all Siamese Cats! That is a huge kitty. What do you feed that thing coyotes?
Posted By: cmcf

Re: AR15 Guys - 02/12/20 07:35 PM

A lot of competition shooters run White Oak uppers, I’m very satisfied with mine. I don’t try to push 80 gr. down a .224 hole so I chose a 1 in 12. Got the 24” varmit then put it in my lathe and cut 2.5” off and threaded and recrowned it. Then took the 2.5” chunk of barrel and machined it into a muzzle brake so I could watch bullet strike through the scope. It wears a 6x24 Weaver AO. Haven’t done any load development with it, just slapped a couple boxes of fifty and fiftyfive gr Sierras over benchmark and H335 together. .030 under max magazine c.o.a.l. 1/2gr.
Below max powder charge. Wilde chamber. Groups at a hundred yards easily covered with a dime. It is heavy but for prairie dog and calling coyote it will do. If I’m gonna hike a little light weight bolt .223 goes instead.
Posted By: Andrew Eastwood

Re: AR15 Guys - 02/12/20 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by The Possum Man
For optics dont overlook the primary arms 1-6x or vortex strike eagle 1-6x. (identical scopes) I have 2 of the primary arms and i have to say i have been pleasantly pleased with how they have held up for me and i am rough on equipment.

I got an Email-ad today from PSA for the Stike eagle 1X8 mounted on an 18 inch stainless upper for $499. Don't know how good the barrel is to be that cheap, but I am going to find out. grin
Provided it shoots well that would leave a lot of room to your bottom line for ammo Zim.
Posted By: The Possum Man

Re: AR15 Guys - 02/13/20 12:30 AM

I have a 1-8x and a 1-6x. I wish i had got both in 1-6x. Since they arent real high end glass everything above 6x does get a bit fuzzy. Clear up to 6x though. Dont get me wrong the 8x is serviceable but i would have been happier with less magnification that was a little clearer. Plus the reticle only works on full magnification so if i want to use any of the BDC marks i have to crank it up and the edges of the scope get fuzzy and it annoys me. Also the 1-6x was at one time 100 bucks cheaper than the 1-8x.
Posted By: redsnow

Re: AR15 Guys - 02/13/20 12:56 AM

Let me ask you guys what's your favorite scope for a black gun?

Not long ago I bought a Colt M-4, never shot the little thing yet. I've been told by several friends that I'd like it.

Re: AR15 Guys - 02/13/20 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by redsnow
Let me ask you guys what's your favorite scope for a black gun?

Not long ago I bought a Colt M-4, never shot the little thing yet. I've been told by several friends that I'd like it.

mine isn't my favorite for the black gun , it is my favorite for black , brown , slug gun anything were the primary use will not be shooting little bug hole groups at distance or calculating targets at range but shooting game or varmint from 10 to 300 yards
not that I haven't taken 7x to 400yards very successfully and not that I haven't ranged targets it is a very good all purpose optic with generous eye relief and when I catch them on sale 129.99 normally 149.99 so I can aford to have them on many guns all with the same reticle so I know all the subtenses
Vortex 2-7x32 Crossfire II BDC hash reticle
shot a lot of running deer with the scope set to 2x
my son had been looking at scopes for his black gun , he borrowed my 308 with a 2-7x32 Vortex this year for deer hunting , I come over after he shot his deer form about 100 yards across a small hay field , he said ok I get it I understand why you like the 2-7 so much it is really fast on target and you watch the deer fall in the scope he came home and when he had the money saved up a 2-7x32 Vortex BDC-Hash now sits on his black gun.

no you won't co-witness irons
no it isn't tacticool
no it isn't high dollar , it is a really good budget optic
no spinny target turrets to play with or get bumped off walking

it does have numbered turrets that can be zero set without tools but if you have more than 12 minutes to dial for the distance your shooting you should consider a different optic
I also run them with a set of flip up caps to keep them clean but quick to use.

these images come from a ballistic calculator I have loaded on my phone called Strelock , the basic is free , I paid the one time 12 dollars for the pro version to be able to add more rifles and loads and such. it will even bring data in from a weather station if you have one at the range.

the horizontal hashes are 2moa apart , the vertical are 1.5moa , 4.5moa , 7.5moa and 11 moa

this is what it looks like on a 400 yard target it lets you see what the reticel looks like. these numbers are for my 308 load there was wind this day 10-20mph gusting this image is set for 15mph full value wind
[Linked Image]

this one is set for my 223 load
[Linked Image]

this one is mounted on the 30-06 I shot my buck with this year running at 125 yards worked well
[Linked Image]

Posted By: Diggerman

Re: AR15 Guys - 02/13/20 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Zim
I am building a new one, kind of on the upper scale of things.
I would like your opinions on 223 Wylde versus 5.56 NATO chamber.
Hoping to keep the upper at 1K or so, 2K or a bit more finished with lower and scope.
Thoughts on a 16" or 18" barrel?

Thanks, Zim

Keep your receipts, you know for when Muskrats Governor wants to "buy it back".
© 2024 Trapperman Forums