Home

How to spot and stalk 101.

Posted By: Deerhunter51

How to spot and stalk 101. - 02/13/20 03:53 AM

Apparently I need to work on my skills a bit....

https://youtu.be/7Y50PY4v6Sc
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: How to spot and stalk 101. - 02/13/20 04:28 AM

Mule deer are not white-tails.
Dumb as a bag of hammers.
Run queer too.
Posted By: adam m

Re: How to spot and stalk 101. - 02/13/20 05:27 AM

I have gotten really close but not that close. Usually they are gone way before that
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: How to spot and stalk 101. - 02/13/20 07:11 AM

Thats why all the experts say not to stalk into a bedding area. Now that the genius hunter grabbed the deers antlers it wont bed down there anymore
Posted By: hippie

Re: How to spot and stalk 101. - 02/13/20 12:13 PM

Reminds me of a time my ex and I were Fox hunting. I sat the called out in front of us about 20 yards and we backed up against a fencerow. This is at night and we were not hiding, just had the fencerow to break up our outline.

Anyhow, here comes this nice buck and he starts to circle the called and he stops right in front of us. I reached the gun barrel out and tickled his ear and like a dog, he twitches his ear. Did that a couple times then I put him in high gear with a solid jab in the ribs. He did the heart shot hind legs kick and off to the races he went. Lol
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: How to spot and stalk 101. - 02/13/20 12:56 PM

I grabbed a whitetail buck by the front leg one time. I guarantee you I won't do that again he kicked me so hard I thought it killed me. Makes for a great campfire story though.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: How to spot and stalk 101. - 02/13/20 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by 52Carl
Run queer too.

Have you ever hunted them?
Posted By: Deerhunter51

Re: How to spot and stalk 101. - 02/13/20 02:09 PM

I've gotten to within 25 yds or so on whitetails (on a good day) but I wouldn't even attempt to get that close to one - my luck I would take a rack to the face.
Posted By: vermontster

Re: How to spot and stalk 101. - 02/13/20 02:14 PM

That guy reminds me of the guy that thought grizzlies were his friends and got him and his girlfriend eaten. Just don’t understand why do it. Why stress the deer out.
Posted By: snowy

Re: How to spot and stalk 101. - 02/13/20 04:21 PM

Run queer too.

Interesting! Not my experience with them at all actually harder for me to arrow a mule then WT.

Re: How to spot and stalk 101. - 02/13/20 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by snowy
Run queer too.

Interesting! Not my experience with them at all actually harder for me to arrow a mule then WT.

I hunted muleys a lot. In Wypming. And the experiences I had were that Big Muley bucks were As hard to find and shoot as any Backhome whitetail buck.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: How to spot and stalk 101. - 02/13/20 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by BernieB.
I grabbed a whitetail buck by the front leg one time. I guarantee you I won't do that again he kicked me so hard I thought it killed me. Makes for a great campfire story though.

Whats the full story? Knocked out after shot and it came to?
Posted By: hippie

Re: How to spot and stalk 101. - 02/13/20 06:22 PM

I for one think Mulie hunting is a lot easier because of the terrain. A lot more open and can be spotted from distance compared to whitetail hunting in the East here.

Given, whitetail hunting is getting A lot easier because of food plots, antler restrictions and bought/leased land to "grow" them.

Re: How to spot and stalk 101. - 02/13/20 09:05 PM

The Muley Monster Bucks are No pushover anymore
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: How to spot and stalk 101. - 02/13/20 09:23 PM

Just watched a show last weekend were a guy and his 2 teenage sons were riding around in side by side 4 wheelers. They drove thru the mountainous terrain and looked over the mule deer bucks. About 25 in all. Then drove the same route and killed the one they wanted about 50 -60 yards from were they saw them earlier. Got out and walked around until they got a shot in the pine thickets or cedar what ever kind of thicket it was. Looked pretty dumb to me. I would compare it to me driving down the road for 10 miles then coming back and shooting the biggest cow standing out in some farmers field....
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: How to spot and stalk 101. - 02/13/20 09:32 PM

Run queer too.

Love the way they bounce.

Re: How to spot and stalk 101. - 02/13/20 09:33 PM

I had to hunt hard to get my mulie buck in Wyoming.

Re: How to spot and stalk 101. - 02/13/20 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by jbyrd63
Just watched a show last weekend were a guy and his 2 teenage sons were riding around in side by side 4 wheelers. They drove thru the mountainous terrain and looked over the mule deer bucks. About 25 in all. Then drove the same route and killed the one they wanted about 50 -60 yards from were they saw them earlier. Got out and walked around until they got a shot in the pine thickets or cedar what ever kind of thicket it was. Looked pretty dumb to me. I would compare it to me driving down the road for 10 miles then coming back and shooting the biggest cow standing out in some farmers field....

Thats not reality

Might be on A high fence ranch... Youd never know if they film right and edit.

Re: How to spot and stalk 101. - 02/13/20 09:50 PM

Had to hunt hard for 3 weeks to even see a buck mulie.See slot of does.
Posted By: Green Bay

Re: How to spot and stalk 101. - 02/13/20 11:13 PM

Quick story - several years ago my father shot twice opening morning of WI Deer hunting. I waited for things to settle down and wandered over there about an hour after he shot. He killed one and said he maybe hit the other so I started trailing it. No blood, no hair no nothing. The deer tracks went straight up a very tall bluff in wstern WI so I would go several feet and then rest to catch my breath as I was dressed for sitting. It was also a brutal cold day. Anyway I finally got to the top of the bluff and there was a small patch of weeds about the size of a bathtub which the sun was shining on. My eyes locked on this weed patch and there was the deer totally laid out looking dead. I walked over and was standing over it when I noticed the chest cavity was moving with each inhalation! I dispatched it.

No bullet holes from my Father so I apparently I stalked a sleeping deer right into his bed.

Re: How to spot and stalk 101. - 02/14/20 12:05 AM

jbyrd63, i never figured you for the kind of guy that thought tv was real

Re: How to spot and stalk 101. - 02/14/20 12:11 AM

i have never shot a sleeping deer but i have killed several that were lying down looking at me.

you need a day with a steady wind and a lot of patience. two three careful steps and stand still for a minute. when your standing still you need to be looking. takes a long time to go a 1/4 mile. you need a pretty good idea of where it is lying. if you watch you can take your steps when the wind has branches moving
© 2024 Trapperman Forums