Home

New puppy!!!

Posted By: loosegoose

New puppy!!! - 02/15/20 12:30 AM

[Linked Image]
Got a new puppy today. Born Christmas Eve. Dad was a border collie/blue heeler mix mom was a red heeler. Super sweet and calm, just wants to be held. Kids are in love
Posted By: 20scout

Re: New puppy!!! - 02/15/20 12:49 AM

Congrats! Good looking pup too!
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: New puppy!!! - 02/15/20 01:00 AM

Nice looking Pup for sure!
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: New puppy!!! - 02/15/20 01:09 AM

Have fun, good looking pup
Posted By: snowy

Re: New puppy!!! - 02/15/20 02:06 AM

You going to use him on cattle?

Re: New puppy!!! - 02/15/20 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by snowy

That would be a good cattle pup
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: New puppy!!! - 02/15/20 02:23 AM

Sweet little thing
Posted By: Catch22

Re: New puppy!!! - 02/15/20 02:28 AM

That's a workin dog, y'all need a plan.

Re: New puppy!!! - 02/15/20 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by snowy

We have 5 kids that are basically wild animals,so kind of. He'll mostly be a house pooch to keep the kids busy. He'll come on the trapline too. I don't catch coyotes so he won't be really used for that, but at least he can have fun barking at raccoons.
Posted By: Wild_Idaho

Re: New puppy!!! - 02/15/20 02:49 AM

Real nice pup there!
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: New puppy!!! - 02/15/20 02:57 AM

Sweet looking pot licker ( puppy ) you have there ! Remember he may start heeling the kids hopefully not but it may happen.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: New puppy!!! - 02/15/20 03:25 AM

Congrats
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: New puppy!!! - 02/28/20 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Catch22
That's a workin dog, y'all need a plan.

catch is basically correct......i trained 3 heelers in philippines....easy and quick to train but they were always outside. They followed the water buffalo and chickens around.
I have raised and trained many working dogs over the yrs and had some champs. Now as a senior I bought my son a registered working dog border colllie to use on goats next yr. Trained him in days and since its winter we keep him in mostly but take him out to play ball a bit. He is from a working dog line registered abca and akc and a constant bundle of energy. He will run until death i believe. Main thing is keep them busy so they dont get into much mischief. They will keep themselves busy. Also since yours are crossbred they may not be too bad energy wise but time will tell. Also as Keith pointed out awhile back different breeding brings about diff traits. There are dogs that were bred to show specs and dogs that were bred to work specs.[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dewey NY

Re: New puppy!!! - 02/28/20 01:37 PM

Too Dang Cute...
Posted By: oneeyedtrapper

Re: New puppy!!! - 02/28/20 01:44 PM

Cute, but it's hard to believe that a pup with that much heeler in it can be calm!!

Re: New puppy!!! - 02/28/20 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by oneeyedtrapper
Cute, but it's hard to believe that a pup with that much heeler in it can be calm!!

give it a month or 2....also depends the parents.

Re: New puppy!!! - 02/28/20 02:28 PM

Parents were working farm dogs, but also inside-house dogs, and good with kids. He's a bundle of energy now. Not wound up or hyper at all, but definitely needs something to do or he'll find his own naughty thing to do. Very dominant and headstrong too, but he's very quickly accepted that he has masters in me, the wife, and 2 of the kids. He thinks he playmates with 1 of the kids, and the boss of two of the kids. The 2 kids he thinks he's the boss of are 7 and 4 year old girls, and they get nervous when he gets chewy, and he knows it, but we're working on it. If he's got work to do (playing in the yard, playing with toys, etc) he does good with them and listens, it's just when he's got nothing "productive" to do that he gets demanding. He's definitely got that herding instinct though.

Re: New puppy!!! - 02/28/20 02:59 PM

[Linked Image]
This is murphy with the 7 year old.

Re: New puppy!!! - 02/28/20 03:08 PM

Nice,,ears are up now. Yup i didnt think my heelers were hyper compared to border collies...just would work if needed
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: New puppy!!! - 02/28/20 04:52 PM

Enjoy, good looking pup
Posted By: Catch22

Re: New puppy!!! - 02/28/20 05:11 PM

I recognize the breeding stock, it's from the Mountains of WV, 2 legs are longer than the other 2. grin I have a feelin ole Murf is gonna be protective and a bit bitey. Yes, among my many talents I can look at a pup and tell you his/her future personality, and it's free. grin

Re: New puppy!!! - 02/28/20 05:28 PM

I recognize the breeding stock, it's from the Mountains of WV, 2 legs are longer than the other 2. grin I have a feelin ole Murf is gonna be protective and a bit bitey. Yes, among my many talents I can look at a pup and tell you his/her future personality, and it's free. grin

our heelers were too..never warned a stranger just bit them! Thats why I didnt choose a heeler again. You didnt know who it was gonna be,but they did
Posted By: Crortvedt05

Re: New puppy!!! - 02/28/20 05:38 PM

I’m in the same boat, she is gunna be a pistol, first time with a heeler/herding dog. Hoping to find useful way to put her energy and brains to work! [Linked Image]
Posted By: Crortvedt05

Re: New puppy!!! - 02/28/20 05:40 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: New puppy!!! - 02/28/20 06:07 PM

We're trying to keep him around a lot of people to avoid the protective nature. My wife hosts a bibles study every week, with 5-6 adults and 10-15 kids running around, and he pretty much ignores them and does his own puppy stuff.

Re: New puppy!!! - 02/28/20 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Crortvedt05
[Linked Image]

He's a Thinkin' bout mishtiffff

Re: New puppy!!! - 02/28/20 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by loosegoose
We're trying to keep him around a lot of people to avoid the protective nature. My wife hosts a bibles study every week, with 5-6 adults and 10-15 kids running around, and he pretty much ignores them and does his own puppy stuff.

very good idea

Re: New puppy!!! - 02/28/20 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Crortvedt05
I’m in the same boat, she is gunna be a pistol, first time with a heeler/herding dog. Hoping to find useful way to put her energy and brains to work! [Linked Image]

They will herd by nature if the stock is good......start teaching commands now as their brains need worked as well as body. They train easily in days. Keep him socialized to strangers if you want him to be ok to others. They really can be a bit nippy to others and as I said in philippines mine were definitely guard dogs. Didnt bark but just nailed a few.
Posted By: charles

Re: New puppy!!! - 02/28/20 07:07 PM

Get a Roomba. It will shed a lot.
Posted By: swift4me

Re: New puppy!!! - 02/28/20 07:31 PM

Both good looking pups.

Good advice about socializing the cattle dog. I've seen a few get nippy around strangers. You'll never lack for a partner though... they're as clingy as super glue.

Both are as cute as could be.

Good luck to both of you.

Pete
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: New puppy!!! - 02/28/20 08:11 PM

precious ....

Re: New puppy!!! - 02/29/20 04:31 PM

just finished my sons pups last shots until boosters. we have the clinics up here at tsc alot cheaper than vets now. Vets have gotten Outrageous up here.
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: New puppy!!! - 02/29/20 06:31 PM

My family has Breed and trained heelers from 89 through now. You can socialize them well and generally be ok but they will protect their person when needed. They are good with kids if started correctly and the kids are good too.

They tend to pick their person and nothing will change who that is. Will listen to everyone in the family but their person above anyone else. Never let one heel people from the time they would start moving around playing.

They are smarter and not as active as boarder collies but not generally as timid either with other animals or dogs. Good family dogs in my opinion and if they didn't shed so much I'd have one in my household.

My next working dog will be a kelipe.

They are breed not to bark just work . As far as ease of training have had ones you could have beat and wouldn't learn anything but scold them loudly and you'd break their heart and others wouldn't seem to listen but correction with a leash and sliding collar only took once or twice and they had it figured out.

Enjoy your pup
© 2024 Trapperman Forums