Home

Green English knife

Posted By: gdccowboy

Green English knife - 02/15/20 03:56 PM

Looking at getting a second fleshing knife .I currently have a Wiebe and would like to get another knife looking at the Green English or the Post knife I haven’t heard much on the Green English does anyone have any experience with one
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Green English knife - 02/15/20 04:32 PM

dont waste your money on a green english. the handles are like file handles. they just press on and start coming off after awhile. you can replace them with file handles but they do not stay on either. the steel is also low quality. they are made to sorta look like the sheffield knife. a true english knife

https://www.fntpost.com/Products/Fleshing+Knives/Sheffield+Fleshing+Knives
these are pricey but high quality last a lifetime tools.

IMO the best deal on a quality knife right now is the one made by lee steinmeyer http://lptraplinesupply.com/index.html
Posted By: slydogx

Re: Green English knife - 02/15/20 05:27 PM

I have one and really like it.
Posted By: nramemb

Re: Green English knife - 02/15/20 06:54 PM

Get a Sheffield

Re: Green English knife - 02/15/20 09:42 PM

Is the Sheffield better than the post or the steinmeyer

Re: Green English knife - 02/15/20 10:43 PM

I never used a post. It is about equal with the one lee makes
Posted By: TurkeyWrangler

Re: Green English knife - 02/16/20 01:40 AM

All I've ever used for beaver were Sheffield knives and I have been very satisfied with them.
Posted By: Wild_Idaho

Re: Green English knife - 02/16/20 01:50 AM

I have a Green English. It gets the job done and done very well, but I think there are better knives out there. Handles are made from cheap pine but I haven't had them fall off like danny said. My next knife will be a Steinmeyer or a Post. The Green English is a sub-par beaver knife, an excellent coon knife and a good coyote knife. That's my two cents.

[Linked Image]

Re: Green English knife - 02/16/20 02:05 AM

I think I will get 1 of Lee’s knives as soon as he is taking orders again
Posted By: Prn

Re: Green English knife - 02/16/20 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by Wild_Idaho
I have a Green English. It gets the job done and done very well, but I think there are better knives out there. Handles are made from cheap pine but I haven't had them fall off like danny said. My next knife will be a Steinmeyer or a Post. The Green English is a sub-par beaver knife, an excellent coon knife and a good coyote knife. That's my two cents.

[Linked Image]

Fur in the bathroom, at first I thought there is no way this man is married. Then I noticed the picture in the bathroom and think, no way a single man has art hanging in a bathroom. So which is it? I am really confused at the moment.

Re: Green English knife - 02/16/20 02:19 AM

The green english I had, I sold on the trap shed a long time ago. I made it very clear why. Once those handles got loose they just wouldn't stay on. I considered drilling a hole and using a brass rod to rivet them on but I sold it for half what I paid for it and it had done quite a bit of fur. Had to sharpen the sharp edge a lot and when those handles got loose I was done with it.

Re: Green English knife - 02/16/20 02:30 AM

Prn, I'm not married but I am dating although don't live with her. The art is explained by the fact that I rent a house and the landlord has art up and about. The landlord stays here about 2 weeks out of the year so I leave the art up and in exchange get a furnished house. The fur comes out of the bathroom when the landlord is home.
Posted By: Prn

Re: Green English knife - 02/16/20 02:45 AM

Haha just giving you a hard time. Although your explanation definitely makes sense to me. I know my wife would never let drying fur in the house, and when I was single I never thought about hanging art in the bathroom. Good looking critters you have there.
Posted By: TrapperCarl78

Re: Green English knife - 02/16/20 06:32 AM

I love my Post knife. Gotta get one of Lee’s before he stops making them. I love quality tools and you can’t go wrong with either.

Re: Green English knife - 02/16/20 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Prn
Haha just giving you a hard time. Although your explanation definitely makes sense to me. I know my wife would never let drying fur in the house, and when I was single I never thought about hanging art in the bathroom. Good looking critters you have there.

Thanks I had to hang them in the bathroom when my outside fur shed had mold issues from our weird wet winter. Lot of rain and not much snow. Lot of moisture in the fur shed even with the fan running. So closing the door in the second bathroom and turning a fan on kept it at a consistent 55 to 60 degrees. I saw a perfect drying room opportunity. You should see when I get some beaver boards in there. It gets crowded.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums