Home

Who fixes their own flat tires

Posted By: snowy

Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/15/20 10:52 PM

Anyone use the plug kit to fix their own flats?
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/15/20 10:54 PM

I do but I also only run 10 ply tires now which get fewer flats.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/15/20 10:55 PM

I plug them but have patches done at a shop.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/15/20 10:59 PM

Only on my Motorcycle if I am on the road. I have not had a flat tire on my truck or car in 40 years.

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/15/20 10:59 PM

I'm always amazed at the number of people who come into Baxter State Park with no plugs,air pump,tire wrench,tire jacks,or spare tires.Its crazy.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/15/20 11:05 PM

Sure. Plug tires all the time.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/15/20 11:14 PM

I plug and patch tires, more than I like doing it. I had to plug 2 tires, in multiple places, one day last Fall, when someone lost a load of plywood and 2' by 4's with wire brads or staples in them on the road I was on.

Keith
Posted By: waggler

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/15/20 11:23 PM

Only when in Pilot Point AK.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/15/20 11:25 PM

Been there^^^ grin
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/15/20 11:29 PM

Yep and a small DC compressor too besides the big one at home.
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/15/20 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce T
I'm always amazed at the number of people who come into Baxter State Park with no plugs,air pump,tire wrench,tire jacks,or spare tires.Its crazy.

You would be shocked at how common that is even outside the park. Common sense is not common anymore.
People don't have a jack , spare , lugwrench etc. Or have a flat spare.
This is why AAA and other roadside service companies are growing.

I carry a toolbox w/ plugging kit. A 4 way plus the factory lugwrench.
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/15/20 11:46 PM

I plug tires whenever possible. Last one was a 10 ply tire through the center of a cord. Lots of fun.
Posted By: bowslinger

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/16/20 12:07 AM

Yes I plug them and than fix a flat also
Posted By: Jonnytrapper

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/16/20 12:10 AM

I've picked up many a snowmobile spike up around moosehead. I've even pulled over and plugged other people's tires up there.

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/16/20 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by M.Magis
I plug tires whenever possible. Last one was a 10 ply tire through the center of a cord. Lots of fun.

I have always taken the flats in and get them fixed. Today I went and bought one of those plug tire kit. I just used it and plugged a nail hole. Have you had any problems after just using the pull throw plug or am I good to go??

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/16/20 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by snowy

I have always taken the flats in and get them fixed. Today I went and bought one of those plug tire kit. I just used it and plugged a nail hole. Have you had any problems after just using the pull throw plug or am I good to go??

Your good to go.

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/16/20 12:20 AM

For those reading this thread and want to learn , take some tips from Scotty Killmer .
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/16/20 12:24 AM

Proper repair is a plug and patch. But I plug mine. The last one I did leaked, so I took it somewhere and had a proper repair done. Only cost $20.
Posted By: TRAPDOC57

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/16/20 12:24 AM

My highschool job was at a pallet shop. I had 4 plugs in just one tire and a couple in the other 3.
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/16/20 12:42 AM

I live in Alaska and have limited cell service. I plug my own. I prefer plugging a tire to changing a tire. Quicker and the spare is full of air and waiting for me if the next hole is in the sidewall.

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/16/20 12:48 AM

Your good to go.[/quote]
Outstanding. Nothing close when living in the boonies and nothing open on weekends that does that work. I hope I have good results from using them. Thanks

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/16/20 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by gray dog
I live in Alaska and have limited cell service. I plug my own. I prefer plugging a tire to changing a tire. Quicker and the spare is full of air and waiting for me if the next hole is in the sidewall.

Gotta love it. A man who makes the best out of plan 'A' and preserves plan 'B' for when it is really needed.

Props
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/16/20 12:50 AM

yup keep a kit in the truck.

used to work in a Goodyear shop fixed a lot of tires

the push and twist type if you clean the hole well actually work quite well most of the time and will at least get you home in most cases
Posted By: charles

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/16/20 12:54 AM

I punched a hole in the sidewall of an ATV tire and was told it couldn’t be plugged. Well, I plugged it and put snot inside and it held for many years until I replaced the tire.
Posted By: Hydropillar

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/16/20 12:54 AM

yup and i use the either can to blow the bead back on truck tires !!

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/16/20 12:55 AM

If you are on the road be sure and by a 12 volt air compressor.
Posted By: gryhkl

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/16/20 12:55 AM

I have a small compressor that plugs into the cig light/power outlet and plugs in the glove box. They have saved me lots of trouble a few times.
Now everyone has a phone with them most of the time so they think help is just a phone call away.

Duct tape, trapping wire, tire plugs, compressor, stop leak, couple pairs of vise grips Small jump pack, and a few misc tools are in a tool box in my truck all the time.

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/16/20 12:57 AM

If you are on the road make sure you have a 12 volt air compressor
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/16/20 12:58 AM

Those are no fun to push a plug in..

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/16/20 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by Feedinggrounds
Those are no fun to push a plug in..

I don't know.Been running 10 ply tires for 7 years now with no flat tires even with all the traveling I do on the gravel woods roads in the north Maine woods.Always got flats before switching especially good year tires.

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/16/20 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Getting There
If you are on the road make sure you have a 12 volt air compressor

For sure.Got to inflate the tire after fixing it.I have seen people in baxter with the plugs but no air compressor.
Posted By: TreedaBlackdog

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/16/20 01:13 AM

I guess I just figured most of you plugged tires......seems I am doing one about every other month at least. Thorns, rocks, pieces of wire, tools, corn stalks, bean stubble, deer antlers all have pulled out. SOme large holes take a few plugs and only when I lose the bead will I take a tire in to a shop. you can buy a lot of plugs for what yo u pay to get one fixed. Plug kit and a can of rubber cement and a few reamers and plug holders and plugs with a small compressor will get you by often.
Posted By: brianmall

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/16/20 01:13 AM

Do it right and you will be fine!
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/16/20 01:14 AM

And I change my own oil too....at 63 years young

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/16/20 01:26 AM

If one isn't doing it add another for good measure. What's the worst thing that's going to happen?
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/16/20 01:48 AM

I use plugs, but have a tire machine at the farm so I usually just pull them off and patch them.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/16/20 02:00 AM

Yup I have plugs and a compressor in the truck. Together with a tow strap 2 hydraulic jacks a extensive first aid kit a saw and shovel and a bunch of other stuff ranging from a change of clothes, fire starters etc.
I hate getting caught short.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/16/20 02:02 AM

been doing it for bout 45 yrs
who wouldn't, it takes tween 5-10 mins and way easier than changing a flat.

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/16/20 02:05 AM

traprjohn >> is it a permanent fix for you then and use no patches??

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/16/20 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by traprjohn
been doing it for bout 45 yrs
who wouldn't, it takes tween 5-10 mins and way easier than changing a flat.

X2

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/16/20 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by Scuba1
Yup I have plugs and a compressor in the truck. Together with a tow strap 2 hydraulic jacks a extensive first aid kit a saw and shovel and a bunch of other stuff ranging from a change of clothes, fire starters etc.
I hate getting caught short.

Leaves or your underwear?
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/16/20 02:07 AM

I've plugged many. I keep a repair kit and a bottle of fix-a-flat. I don't use the fix-a-flat to fix the flat but have used it to put enough air in the tire to get me to the next gas station where I could use their compressor.

I was in a parking lot a few weeks ago. A mother and daughter had gotten a flat on the road and drove it until the tire came off the bead. The outer bead had popped off of the rim and you could look into the inside of the tire. Mom was dumping a can of fix-a-flat into the valve stem. Didn't work.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/16/20 02:19 AM

I even trained the wife to drive slow while I spray the tire down and find the leak.
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/16/20 03:09 AM

I only run 10 ply , even on my 1/2 tons. Rare to get a flat. If I pick up a nail or screw I stop in the tire shop for a free fix

I change Moto tires fairly often myself and run heavy duty tubes to avoid flats in the desert
Posted By: MT bowhunter

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/16/20 03:29 AM

I have a couple of tire machines and still carry a plug kit in my outfits. I went and bought a jump pack with a compressor at walmart for 80 dollars. It will air up tires way faster and it will start your outfit if the battery goes dead. I use it all the time. Best 80 dollars I ever spent.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/16/20 04:00 AM

traprjohn >> is it a permanent fix for you then and use no patches??

yes, correct, no patches
Posted By: TurkeyTime

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/16/20 02:00 PM

plug in an emergency then patch when have time. Living on a gravel road plugs tend to work out over time.
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/16/20 02:42 PM

Farmer here, over 80 tires to deal with on various equipment. I’ve fixed 1 or 2. I’ve robbed Peter to pay Paul a few times. I’ve bent a rim or 2. I’ve beat said rim back into shape. Slime, fix a flat, tubeless, tubes. Ran 2 different sizes to limp to the barn. Full semi with a flat on the road, wagons...mercy I gotta stop talking. Gettin worked up. If I didn’t fix flat tires , I’d had to give up an move to town! Never

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/16/20 02:59 PM

^ sounds like you did your share. Do you use plugs and how have they held up, just using plugs??

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/16/20 05:05 PM

Plugs and slime. Heck whatever ya got. Cut a finger off a glove if nothing else.

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/16/20 05:12 PM

Gotcha. Just want to get see if plugs did the job for the long haul. I get in some desolate country and hoping these plugs are a permeant fix not just a temp fix.

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/16/20 05:28 PM

No guarantees. Put a patch on the inside and ease your mind.

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/16/20 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by TurkeyTime
plug in an emergency then patch when have time. Living on a gravel road plugs tend to work out over time.

Just curious.Do you trim the plug?I never do pushing it most of the way in and have never had one work it's way out and I'm mostly on gravel roads.
Posted By: NebrCatMan

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/16/20 08:16 PM

I plug most the tires I now have. But I run 10 ply on my PU trucks. I try never to use the reamer that comes with the patch kit. But sometimes you have to. Seems like the reamer makes the holes bigger, even though it helps make pushing the plug in easier.
Posted By: strike2x

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/16/20 08:31 PM

The reamer roughs up the hole so the plug has something to adhere to. I would suggest you use it.
Posted By: Kong

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/16/20 10:50 PM

This is the best plug kit going down the road. Used by farmers and most folks that live on gravels around central Iowa. No glue needed. No reamer tool. Will last the lifetime of the tire. Never go on a trip without them. I have repaired hundreds of tires over the years with this kit. They are the best plugs hands down .

https://www.nealeytirerepairkit.com/
Posted By: TurkeyTime

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/16/20 10:55 PM

I did say work out but it is actually pushed in. Maybe it is the size/type/sharpness of our gravel. I have done some trimmed and others not but on 3 different tires the plug has eventually been pushed into the tire. I am not the only one either.
Posted By: AKAjust

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/16/20 11:04 PM

I plug them if I can depending on convenience and weather my son in law is busy.
just

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/16/20 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by TurkeyTime
I did say work out but it is actually pushed in. Maybe it is the size/type/sharpness of our gravel. I have done some trimmed and others not but on 3 different tires the plug has eventually been pushed into the tire. I am not the only one either.

Never had that happen

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/16/20 11:11 PM

Well, I'm going to test the plug and do nothing more, no patch and see what happens. I talked to a guy and he said he has had no issues after JUST the pull through plug for the life of the tirah.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/18/20 08:08 PM

I keep a kit in the truck. You can plug small holes in a side wall for emergency's.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/19/20 02:26 PM

I work and trap in some thorny brush country so I wont pull out of the driveway with out my 'total tire kit".
If you could only take two items I would take a plug kit and the XL can of fix-a-flat.

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/19/20 02:29 PM

I’d throw in a spare tire and a handyman jack(we call em widowmakers).

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/19/20 03:08 PM

The one I fixed 4 days ago is still holding air and has traveled some rough roads and still doing good. I wish I would of used the kit through the years but always had them fixed.
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/19/20 03:29 PM

I'm driving on a tire that I plugged about 7 months ago. I think it's the only tire that doesn't slowly leak.
Posted By: StatelineRunner

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/19/20 03:57 PM

I always have a plug kit in every thing I drive. A can of fix a flat and plug kit in my ATV. I will patch at a later time.

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/19/20 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by tomahawker

I took a bumper jack in the face when I was 13. Still got the nose to prove it.
Posted By: HondaXR250

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/26/20 01:21 AM

Me and my wife plugged a tire for a girl she works with the other day. The girl was working, and i was about to pick up my wife, so i brought all the stuff with me. Years ago i put two plugs in a four wheeler tire. Around 12 years later, and its still holding.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/26/20 01:37 AM

I never drove the Golden Road in northern Maine without getting a flat. The road graders pull-up shards of sharp rock....they’re like broad heads on the road.
Posted By: run

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/26/20 03:53 PM

I use Slime for the slow leaks.
Posted By: swift4me

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/26/20 04:37 PM

Never used a plug by myself but here at the farm I've changed four tires on my small tractor with only two tire irons. Not too tough.

Pete

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/26/20 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by gray dog
Originally Posted by tomahawker

I took a bumper jack in the face when I was 13. Still got the nose to prove it.

Lol! Their kisses hurt
Posted By: hogwild

Re: Who fixes their own flat tires - 02/26/20 07:51 PM

I usually plug my truck tires, along with my wife's car tires and my quad tires. But today I actually had the tire shop plug one along with rotating my tires and patching one of my hip boots that I couldn't get the aqua seal to stay. Cost me a whopping $7 and I tipped the $8 for his trouble.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums