Home

Ice fishing trout lures

Posted By: mudtracker

Ice fishing trout lures - 02/18/20 05:11 PM

I am doing a little trout fishing and having a lot of lookers no biters. Using a wax worm tipped slender spoon, kastmaster spoon, small ripen rap, and just a plain jug tipped with waxies. The trout are cruising and seem interested but dont bite. There must be something that will catch them. Any suggestions? Stocked rainbows mostly.
Posted By: corky

Re: Ice fishing trout lures - 02/18/20 05:29 PM

Wigglers or crappie minnows
Posted By: Marten Ted

Re: Ice fishing trout lures - 02/18/20 05:32 PM

Not sure if this will work for you, but I have had great luck with a price of canned corn with a 1/2 or 1/4 of a night crawler. If you added in a piece of corn it might help. They like the yellow visual with the sweet smell. Don’t know if it will work for you but adding the corn has helped me many times.

Re: Ice fishing trout lures - 02/18/20 05:34 PM

Cant use minnows on trout lakes here.
Posted By: Bruiser1

Re: Ice fishing trout lures - 02/18/20 07:14 PM

Night crawlers work here. Some swear by Berkeley power bait but I’ve never caught anything with it
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Ice fishing trout lures - 02/18/20 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Bruiser1
Night crawlers work here. Some swear by Berkeley power bait but I’ve never caught anything with it

Bruiser but it comes in 20 fishermen catching colors, never work for me either.

Re: Ice fishing trout lures - 02/18/20 07:36 PM

You're using night crawlers for ice fishing?
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Ice fishing trout lures - 02/18/20 08:12 PM

Night crawler dunked in codliver oil works best.
Posted By: cmcf

Re: Ice fishing trout lures - 02/18/20 08:39 PM

A good rig that has made me money in ice derby. 1/8 oz little Cleo. gold if water is murky silver if water is clear. This goes on terminal end then fourteen inches up tie in a small bbl swivel with a glow jig or glow hook about six inches from the swivel. Glow hook or jig should be size eight or ten. I use wax worms or spikes and pautskies green label salmon eggs.

Find bottom with the spoon then raise six inches or just above weeds if there’s any this is your set depth.
Rip rod tip up about five feet then slack line the spoon down to the set depth and hold still or set rod in holder or on the ice. After two minutes repeat. This works by the spoon twisting the line when you rip it up and then slack line it down, the spoon will fall back off to the side a few feet then swing back to perpendicular and begin to unwind the twist in the line. This has earned me five hundred dollars spread over three derbies only ones I have ever done through the ice. Won two and got skunked on one but so did just about everyone else on that one.
Posted By: cmcf

Re: Ice fishing trout lures - 02/18/20 08:46 PM

Smaller lures is usually the way to go. I might have caught one trout on dough bait Jake’s garlic floating but don’t remember for sure.
Posted By: 160user

Re: Ice fishing trout lures - 02/18/20 08:53 PM

I have had good luck with canned corn. Green Giant "Nibblers" I believe is the brand that has the big kernels. I jig it and then keep raising it up and then drop it down to them. They usually hit the bait as it is falling.
Posted By: Redknot

Re: Ice fishing trout lures - 02/18/20 09:40 PM

I've used sonars while jigging for landlocked Atlantic salmon with reasonable success...I believe similar results would be found when fishing for rainbow trout...
Posted By: gutthooked

Re: Ice fishing trout lures - 02/18/20 11:01 PM

Try jigging with a cast master or jigging rapala.
Posted By: coyotesoldier229

Re: Ice fishing trout lures - 02/18/20 11:55 PM

Small ant shaped jig in neon colors tipped with a meal worm or fathead work for me. Dead stick a few rods if ya can in varying depths, preferably in an area with some structure or you know the trout move through frequently
Posted By: scootermac

Re: Ice fishing trout lures - 02/19/20 12:07 AM

I've caught them on pink marshmallows here in Northern Manitoba.
Posted By: taser

Re: Ice fishing trout lures - 02/19/20 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by cmcf
A good rig that has made me money in ice derby. 1/8 oz little Cleo. gold if water is murky silver if water is clear. This goes on terminal end then fourteen inches up tie in a small bbl swivel with a glow jig or glow hook about six inches from the swivel. Glow hook or jig should be size eight or ten. I use wax worms or spikes and pautskies green label salmon eggs.

Find bottom with the spoon then raise six inches or just above weeds if there’s any this is your set depth.
Rip rod tip up about five feet then slack line the spoon down to the set depth and hold still or set rod in holder or on the ice. After two minutes repeat. This works by the spoon twisting the line when you rip it up and then slack line it down, the spoon will fall back off to the side a few feet then swing back to perpendicular and begin to unwind the twist in the line. This has earned me five hundred dollars spread over three derbies only ones I have ever done through the ice. Won two and got skunked on one but so did just about everyone else on that one.

little cleo has worked great for me for rainbows ……..silver and blue is my go too.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Ice fishing trout lures - 02/19/20 12:42 AM

You can’t put a live smelt on a single hook ,in that State ?
Posted By: jk

Re: Ice fishing trout lures - 02/19/20 01:18 AM

Shh don't talk too much about the Lil'cleo for ice fishing. It is my main lure.......jk
Posted By: SundanceMtnMan

Re: Ice fishing trout lures - 02/19/20 01:23 AM

What Gutthooked said and add a small piece of red worm or a couple of maggots.

Re: Ice fishing trout lures - 02/19/20 01:44 AM

Nope no live minnows in designated trout water. I dont really know what the reasoning is for that.
Posted By: SundanceMtnMan

Re: Ice fishing trout lures - 02/19/20 02:06 AM

You can't use live bait anywhere in Idaho. You just have to figure out something else.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Ice fishing trout lures - 02/19/20 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by SundanceMtnMan
You can't use live bait anywhere in Idaho. You just have to figure out something else.

Are you serious.? I have Nevah heard of such a thing. Here in NH...we have “Trout Ponds” that are off limits to ice fishing...that season is from the 4th Saturday in April - and closes Oct 15. Then we have Fly Fishing only ponds... But there are plenty of waters to catch trout through the ice. We can use smelt ,shiners ,tip up suckers with a single hook only. Dang smelt are almost a buck a piece....10.00 gets you a dozen.
Posted By: old243

Re: Ice fishing trout lures - 02/19/20 02:28 AM

Cook up some pot barley, drain , stir in some Dr juice liquid trout oil, while it is still hot. . . I use it for lake trout but would likely work for rainbows. Keep dropping a few bits down regularly. The white will attract them , as they sink, , as well as the oil in the water column. I use a minnow on bottom mostly but anywhere in the water column will work. You could try some on a small hook. You can keep it in the freezer between fishing trips. Take a plastic spoon to dip it out , it is oily.. Good luck old243
© 2024 Trapperman Forums