Home

What's the best low maint kitchen countertop?

Posted By: Catch22

What's the best low maint kitchen countertop? - 02/19/20 12:39 AM

If you were going to replace your counter top what would be the best material to use but still looks great. I would like to have it look from the 30's or 40's but don't know if that's possible. It's not that big, an L shape about 6ft long then about 3 ft shooting off. Wood is awesome but I've never had one and they probably need treated often, I'm guessing??? Any help is appreciated!
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: What's the best low maint kitchen countertop? - 02/19/20 12:42 AM

Enameled Lava you'll love it.
Posted By: il.trapper

Re: What's the best low maint kitchen countertop? - 02/19/20 01:04 AM

stainless steel....or the old enamel tops
Posted By: SGT. C

Re: What's the best low maint kitchen countertop? - 02/19/20 01:06 AM

Stainless
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: What's the best low maint kitchen countertop? - 02/19/20 01:12 AM

if you want it to look old like 30-40s then a laminate with metal edging or tile

by 1960 laminate with laminate edge

my brother did a bar in wood , there is a sealer that basically puts a clear epoxy over the wood and lets you see the wood while sealing it up well.
Posted By: 70sdiver

Re: What's the best low maint kitchen countertop? - 02/19/20 01:37 AM

https://gianigranite.com/collections/giani-countertop-paint
We used this on a remodel rental held up well and looked great.We are doing a 30” butcher block top on a kitchen cabinet this week when I get it done we can post a picture for you.we got the butcher block top at Home Depot.
Posted By: brianmall

Re: What's the best low maint kitchen countertop? - 02/19/20 01:39 AM

Don't replace surface unless you want to do so! Just resurface it.

https://www.stonecoatcountertops.co...XkABlhKPIsFf_Fv0J2XhzV-5iiwaAoXmEALw_wcB

Re: What's the best low maint kitchen countertop? - 02/19/20 01:40 AM

I've been remodeling a kitchen for a month or so now to include framing in my own cabinets.

I'm gonna stone coat tops!

Re: What's the best low maint kitchen countertop? - 02/19/20 01:42 AM

[Linked Image]
Here are the cabinets were working on trying to give it a little more rustic farmhouse look.You can see the bottom cabinets were what the painted ones looked like.

Re: What's the best low maint kitchen countertop? - 02/19/20 01:43 AM

Well you get the idea if you turn your head sideways lt will look right

Re: What's the best low maint kitchen countertop? - 02/19/20 01:44 AM

Grade A rodiata plywood!
Posted By: Hanger

Re: What's the best low maint kitchen countertop? - 02/19/20 02:11 AM

Saw a copper counter top and it looked really good. Believe it was copper sheeting over the original top.

Re: What's the best low maint kitchen countertop? - 02/19/20 02:12 AM

Thanks guys, diver my neck hurts now lol. I should have mentioned mine is broke. Some fat butt named Jeff tried to get up on it to reach something a while ago. grin
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: What's the best low maint kitchen countertop? - 02/19/20 02:13 AM

Here's a picture of of a river table. How about a river counter top.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JoMiBru

Re: What's the best low maint kitchen countertop? - 02/19/20 02:14 AM

Concrete! Melamine board, make the form to fit, pour it. A little wet sanding and you’ll like it! Did my kitchen last fall.

John
Posted By: Browndusti

Re: What's the best low maint kitchen countertop? - 02/19/20 03:00 AM

Leathered granite with a chiseled edge.... looks awesome...my day job is actually countertop production and installation of solid surfaces (marble, granite, quartz, soapstone etc)
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: What's the best low maint kitchen countertop? - 02/19/20 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
Enameled Lava you'll love it.

[Linked Image]

smile
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: What's the best low maint kitchen countertop? - 02/19/20 03:18 AM

You can do some amazing things with modern epoxies. Lots of info on YouTube.
Posted By: charles

Re: What's the best low maint kitchen countertop? - 02/19/20 03:20 AM

Did quartzite two years ago. No problems yet.
Posted By: charles

Re: What's the best low maint kitchen countertop? - 02/19/20 03:21 AM

Did quartzite two years ago. No problems yet.
Posted By: 1lessdog

Re: What's the best low maint kitchen countertop? - 02/19/20 06:21 PM

I would go with Corian solid surface. Can get it in one piece, have a slope for drying dishes and the sink is built right in. No seams and it can be sanded if something dumb happens.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: What's the best low maint kitchen countertop? - 02/19/20 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by 1lessdog
I would go with Corian solid surface. Can get it in one piece, have a slope for drying dishes and the sink is built right in. No seams and it can be sanded if something dumb happens.

My sister put that in . Had 4 repairs in 6 months. She is cussing the day she did that
Posted By: 3togo

Re: What's the best low maint kitchen countertop? - 02/19/20 07:25 PM

Maybe a clear enamel on the Corian would do the trick.
ADC, I Googled the enameled lava after your first post, pretty nice stuff. Pick your color.

Re: What's the best low maint kitchen countertop? - 02/19/20 07:36 PM

We redid our kitchen 2 years ago. Looked at dozens of materials and options. Finally went back to formica. It is a fraction of the cost of ANY solid materiel. PLUS the new brands look and feel like granite, or quarts. Read about the poision gas some of the solid materials omit. Yes poision !!! FOR the money can't beat new and improved formica. The whole kitchen counter cost almost 9,000 less than if we had went with granite. ALSO BIG difference in the weight from the solid surface....

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: What's the best low maint kitchen countertop? - 02/19/20 07:50 PM

Also you ask for BEST LOW mant counter top. It don't get no lower maintenance than formica. Wipe it off done. NO resealing, Sanding out boo boos, repairing cracks...

Re: What's the best low maint kitchen countertop? - 02/19/20 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by jbyrd63
We redid our kitchen 2 years ago. Looked at dozens of materials and options. Finally went back to formica. It is a fraction of the cost of ANY solid materiel. PLUS the new brands look and feel like granite, or quarts. Read about the poision gas some of the solid materials omit. Yes poision !!! FOR the money can't beat new and improved formica. The whole kitchen counter cost almost 9,000 less than if we had went with granite. ALSO BIG difference in the weight from the solid surface....

I have almost the same counter mine is especially cheap right off the shelf at menards exactly 8 feet long one end against the wall and the other open been in place 10 years now and still doing fine , normal stainless steel sink.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: What's the best low maint kitchen countertop? - 02/19/20 07:52 PM

bacon

Re: What's the best low maint kitchen countertop? - 02/19/20 08:10 PM

Great suggestions guys, cept the bacon one. grin
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: What's the best low maint kitchen countertop? - 02/19/20 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

I have almost the same counter mine is especially cheap right off the shelf at menards exactly 8 feet long one end against the wall and the other open been in place 10 years now and still doing fine , normal stainless steel sink.

Thats the same as our counter tops . Me and my wife installed it in a weekend . Super tough scratch and chip resistant we have a big family and the bar is the center of everything . The boys arnt religious about using a cutting board when they try cooking somthing like fajitas you cant see or feel where they cut it . Or the time i came home and the yongest son and his friend had a head off a 350 chevy laying upside down on it while they were looking for a crack . Try either with an epoxy coat and somebody's gonna get a but chewing from the boss this stuff you just wipe it off and go on . Ive been thinking about covering one of my work benches in the shop with it

Re: What's the best low maint kitchen countertop? - 02/19/20 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by 70sdiver
[Linked Image]
Here are the cabinets were working on trying to give it a little more rustic farmhouse look.You can see the bottom cabinets were what the painted ones looked like.

Yea we have 2 grand daughters that think the bar is where crafts are done !! Paint , make slime, cook cup cakes (with food coloring) . Ours would need sanding or sealing every month with solid surface.
I know that white cabinets may be the "in " thing but painting over REAL wood cabinets is Blasphemy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Our cabinets are 25 years old but old English furniture polish 2 times a year and they look good as new !!!
The same sister that is cussing her corian said we needed to paint ours white. I said MMMMM No.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: gcs

Re: What's the best low maint kitchen countertop? - 02/19/20 09:13 PM

Corian scratches, and it doesn't take much to do it, Low cost AND low maintainance? Formica for the win.....
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: What's the best low maint kitchen countertop? - 02/19/20 09:26 PM

We have corian counter tops. Nice thing about them is you can scratch them and buff a surface scratch out with a rag by hand. A joint can be sanded and you never see it.

Re: What's the best low maint kitchen countertop? - 02/19/20 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by gcs
Corian scratches, and it doesn't take much to do it, Low cost AND low maintainance? Formica for the win.....

We had formica. Scratch formica and it's for keeps. That's why we installed new corian. If it does scratch, you can buff it out by hand.

Re: What's the best low maint kitchen countertop? - 02/19/20 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper7
Originally Posted by gcs

We had formica. Scratch formica and it's for keeps. That's why we installed new corian. If it does scratch, you can buff it out by hand.

Let beet juice stay on it for a few minutes and let us know how many weeks it takes you to buff it out...
Posted By: pcr2

Re: What's the best low maint kitchen countertop? - 02/19/20 09:58 PM

i'm talkin canadian bacon too,not our good stuff.
Posted By: coop

Re: What's the best low maint kitchen countertop? - 02/20/20 12:24 AM

We've been well satisfied with Silestone... it's priced comparible to Corian.

Re: What's the best low maint kitchen countertop? - 02/20/20 12:47 AM

Concrete. Cheaper than Formica. They were fun to make, we put our hand prints on the underside. Little labor involved but you’ll love them.

John
Posted By: jarentz

Re: What's the best low maint kitchen countertop? - 02/20/20 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by 70sdiver
[Linked Image]

Yea we have 2 grand daughters that think the bar is where crafts are done !! Paint , make slime, cook cup cakes (with food coloring) . Ours would need sanding or sealing every month with solid surface.
I know that white cabinets may be the "in " thing but painting over REAL wood cabinets is Blasphemy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Our cabinets are 25 years old but old English furniture polish 2 times a year and they look good as new !!!
The same sister that is cussing her corian said we needed to paint ours white. I said MMMMM No.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Nice kitchen,I hope the wife don't see this post!

Re: What's the best low maint kitchen countertop? - 02/20/20 01:20 AM

Melamine molds, whatever shape/thickness you desire. Mix the concrete with any desired color you want ( we used charcoal color from Cheng). Pour the molds, screed the top. After drying, grind the top smooth before you pop the mold off. This will actually be the bottom of the countertop, the top is exposed when you pull the mold apart and flip it over. Wet sand the surface until you are satisfied, and seal with a food grade sealer.

Attached picture IMG_4206.JPG
Attached picture IMG_4205.JPG
Attached picture IMG_4204.JPG
Attached picture IMG_4207.JPG

Re: What's the best low maint kitchen countertop? - 02/20/20 01:35 AM

That looks super nice Jo, thanks for posting that!

Re: What's the best low maint kitchen countertop? - 02/20/20 01:43 AM

the concrete are nice but don't drop a glass or pop and get the broom

my brother did the pour in place concrete counter tops as he has some big section in his kitchen

he made a grill table and a few other things first for practice

my house is 1909 my kitchen has 5 door ways and just 8 feet of counter

W also use a 2x6 foot work table in the middle as sort of an island
Posted By: TreedaBlackdog

Re: What's the best low maint kitchen countertop? - 02/20/20 03:18 PM

The best low maintenance counter top is whatever is there......I don't worry about it. Now my wife on the other hand......she is still worrying about it.
Posted By: wildflights

Re: What's the best low maint kitchen countertop? - 02/20/20 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by JoMiBru
Melamine molds, whatever shape/thickness you desire. Mix the concrete with any desired color you want ( we used charcoal color from Cheng). Pour the molds, screed the top. After drying, grind the top smooth before you pop the mold off. This will actually be the bottom of the countertop, the top is exposed when you pull the mold apart and flip it over. Wet sand the surface until you are satisfied, and seal with a food grade sealer.
https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/download/Number/10350/filename/IMG_4206.JPG
https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/download/Number/10351/filename/IMG_4205.JPG
https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/download/Number/10352/filename/IMG_4204.JPG

That looks fantastic! I may have to give that a go. How much of an overhang can you get away with?

Re: What's the best low maint kitchen countertop? - 02/20/20 05:31 PM

jbyrd63,

Neither my wife or I like beets, so beet stains will never be a problem. Had some wine stains that were easy to remove, though.

Re: What's the best low maint kitchen countertop? - 02/21/20 12:06 AM

Wildflights , thanks for the compliments!

The overhang on my bar top is 12”. “L” shaped brackets are helping support the overhang underneath that are 8” long and 6” down the stud. Rebar inside the concrete also helps with the overhangs.

John

Re: What's the best low maint kitchen countertop? - 02/21/20 12:20 AM

Just took these pictures , Wildflights

Sorry the last couple are sideways

Attached picture IMG_4211.JPG
Attached picture IMG_4209.JPG
Attached picture IMG_4210.JPG
Posted By: keets

Re: What's the best low maint kitchen countertop? - 02/21/20 01:30 AM

them real nice!...maybe i'll try someday
Posted By: trapperEd

Re: What's the best low maint kitchen countertop? - 02/21/20 01:39 AM

Done mine in Formica 45 years ago. Still like new !
© 2024 Trapperman Forums