Home

Golden Triangle Coon Boundary

Posted By: TreedaBlackdog

Golden Triangle Coon Boundary - 02/20/20 05:40 PM

So, I referenced the golden triangle coon area previously in another thread. I have trapped coon from North Dakota to Mississippi and seen first hand the differences. There was an article published years ago but I can not remember the boundaries of this better quality raccoon pelts. Can some of you remember that article and help me with the associated boundaries?
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Golden Triangle Coon Boundary - 02/20/20 06:01 PM

This is the area I have always roughly associated as the "Golden Triangle" of the best raccoons when I have heard of it referred to.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Golden Triangle Coon Boundary - 02/20/20 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
This is the area I have always roughly associated as the "Golden Triangle" of the best raccoons when I have heard of it referred to.

[Linked Image]

Same. Stretching a little more west though.

Re: Golden Triangle Coon Boundary - 02/20/20 06:07 PM

Interesting...….I always thought it was much bigger and included parts of the eastern Dakotas, more of Iowa and Minnesota......
Posted By: Dave Plueger

Re: Golden Triangle Coon Boundary - 02/20/20 06:18 PM

Yes, that is the region called the "golden triangle". These coon are big, but also have good color. Coon in the Dakotas/western MN may run bigger, but lack the color for the most part, and have a "whoolier" under fur.
Posted By: rats4me

Re: Golden Triangle Coon Boundary - 02/20/20 06:28 PM

It's wherever the crowing Canuck and his hairy bible says it is.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Golden Triangle Coon Boundary - 02/20/20 06:30 PM

Same with Michigan coon.

Re: Golden Triangle Coon Boundary - 02/20/20 06:50 PM

I will say this - I learned even the young of the year coon in North Dakota were much bigger than many of our average coon in Missouri. I would say overall color was better as well. I put up over a hundred coon in North Dakota one year (numbers are not great up there) and only a few were under 30". It totally amazed me at the growth potential and obvious genetic difference in the growth rates up there.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Golden Triangle Coon Boundary - 02/20/20 07:11 PM

i thought golden triangle meant they been denned too long.
Posted By: trapper les

Re: Golden Triangle Coon Boundary - 02/20/20 07:25 PM

Up here we got the Swedish Triangle, but it's just one township.
Posted By: trapper les

Re: Golden Triangle Coon Boundary - 02/20/20 07:26 PM

And it's square. Like a Polish triangle.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Golden Triangle Coon Boundary - 02/20/20 07:28 PM

Its like the bermuda triangle-nobody really knows.

Re: Golden Triangle Coon Boundary - 02/20/20 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
Its like the bermuda triangle-nobody really knows.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Golden Triangle Coon Boundary - 02/20/20 07:38 PM

Good to know. My coons come from the tin hexagon to the east of that area. ioi

Seriously about how much (many miles) is the area where the semi-heavies are concentrated. I remember some years ago when color was a huge factor a lot of Kansas and Nebraska coons sold very well and I was under the assumption many areas there produced semi-heavy type coons.
Also for my collections the western northerns are my highest valued typically. Are western-semis more like western northerns then north centrals are? Most of my coons sell as north centrals most seasons.

Bryce
Posted By: star flakes

Re: Golden Triangle Coon Boundary - 02/20/20 07:43 PM

Like all things, this is a generalization and it is wrong, as there are species shift. In my location we have huge coon, but from the west there is a prairie raccoon which is light brown. These mix in breeding with the black guard hair raccoon, which are the well furred and wonderful quality racoon.
There are factors in this too in location, as in drainage of major waterways, food and yes background color. A raccoon that is out in the sun, with a white and brown prairie is going to be lighter in color just as human hair bleaches out. For that matter a coon in woods and with dark colored soils is going to be darker.

This Red and Minnesota River drainage, which flows down to the Gulf and up to Hudson's Bay is a divide on fur. It is better quality, mink are outstanding, it is larger and the colors are appealing. For fox I used to catch a reddish yellow with black guard hairs on the Dakota side, and a gorgeous cherry red with white highlights on the Minnesota side.
Coyotes started out here those horrid brown things, while the Dakotas had the pale Montana types. What is appearing now is a light tan type. This population shift took decades, but it proves that animals do move. I know my Grandfather informed me there were not any raccoons in this area until the 1930's, when the first coons appeared. That was the last of the wolves being taken out and the coyotes were gladly exterminated.

Just keep in mind, there are always fur subspecies pockets and genus types do move as trends push species in and out, from agriculture, to housing to a distemper culling the animals and another group moves in.

Without insulting Southern fur, having seen it, I wonder why people bother with it, but the same holds for most lower 48 fur compared to the luxurious furs parts of Canada still produces and into Alaska.

Re: Golden Triangle Coon Boundary - 02/20/20 07:44 PM

yep
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Golden Triangle Coon Boundary - 02/20/20 07:56 PM

We trap in the bronze triangle here, but they consider us part of Appalachia and we get subsidies, so we average 122.00 per coon.

Re: Golden Triangle Coon Boundary - 02/20/20 07:57 PM

It is my understanding was the fur buyers, buying coons from all regions, who originally defined the "triangle" not the trappers in the region.

Re: Golden Triangle Coon Boundary - 02/20/20 08:10 PM

clay tetrahedron here
Posted By: Marty B

Re: Golden Triangle Coon Boundary - 02/20/20 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by rats4me
It's wherever the crowing Canuck and his hairy bible says it is.

Beaucoup Walking Eagle?

Re: Golden Triangle Coon Boundary - 02/20/20 08:56 PM

You guys should pay attention you might learn something.
I already posted the 4 major coon sections above.
If you know anything about the fur industry you will know that better fur from each of the above 4 sections will be broken down into sub sections if the market requires it.
Today however with the requirements of large lots by the buyers there are less sections broken out than in the past.
Strictly on a grading basis,for example there are 6 separate wild mink sections in Ontario alone.

Re: Golden Triangle Coon Boundary - 02/20/20 09:25 PM

Boco - I am paying attention - so good, I noticed you did NOT post the 4 major coon sections above in this thread. It was another one.......

Re: Golden Triangle Coon Boundary - 02/20/20 09:27 PM

Big Opinionated Canadian Offal

Re: Golden Triangle Coon Boundary - 02/20/20 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by pcr2
Big Opinionated Canadian Offal

Is that his Indian name? grin
Posted By: LDW

Re: Golden Triangle Coon Boundary - 02/20/20 09:41 PM

I was always told it was NE Nebr, SE South Dakota and NW Iowa.

Re: Golden Triangle Coon Boundary - 02/20/20 09:45 PM

I never said in this thread,I said above (this thread).

Re: Golden Triangle Coon Boundary - 02/20/20 09:53 PM

You guys should pay attention you might learn something.
I already posted the 4 major coon sections above.
If you know anything about the fur industry you will know that better fur from each of the above 4 sections will be broken down into sub sections if the market requires it.
Today however with the requirements of large lots by the buyers there are less sections broken out than in the past.
Strictly on a grading basis,for example there are 6 separate wild mink sections in Ontario alone.

Why do you edit so much and why do you think we care about sections in kanuck land on a thread about our coon? Really???

Re: Golden Triangle Coon Boundary - 02/20/20 09:54 PM

yep
Posted By: wetdog

Re: Golden Triangle Coon Boundary - 02/20/20 10:23 PM

Is Boco drinking beaver weedoo in his Irish whisky again
I guess I'd drink too if I only had one outlet for my crappy fur. Lol

Re: Golden Triangle Coon Boundary - 02/20/20 10:26 PM

weedoo
Posted By: wetdog

Re: Golden Triangle Coon Boundary - 02/20/20 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by pcr2
weedoo

Fixed it
Posted By: waggler

Re: Golden Triangle Coon Boundary - 02/20/20 10:47 PM

I would move it a little southward, or enlarge it somewhat. i used to by some really nice colored coon out of Galesburg Ill, I think the guys name was Ralph Coffee. That was in the late 70's

Re: Golden Triangle Coon Boundary - 02/20/20 11:12 PM

I edit because I dont want to post like you and coonman.
The mink section comment was to help you grasp the sectioning concept and how it can change due to buyer requirements.
It likely went over your head.

Re: Golden Triangle Coon Boundary - 02/21/20 12:24 AM

You all act like this "golden triangle" of coon is something new. I heard about it at Ludy Sheda's over 30 years ago.
Posted By: LLtrapper

Re: Golden Triangle Coon Boundary - 02/21/20 12:35 AM

SD and NE Nebraska have some of the best coon in the world. Don't know about Southern WI but Northern WI coon are as yellow as a banana and are kinky haired critters. LLL

Re: Golden Triangle Coon Boundary - 02/21/20 12:35 AM

I edit because I dont want to post like you and coonman.
The mink section comment was to help you grasp the sectioning concept and how it can change due to buyer requirements.
It likely went over your head.

Lol, you had to edit this one as well, bless your heart. grin
© 2024 Trapperman Forums