Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Drowning rods. (Tom Miranda) - 02/21/20 12:44 PM

https://youtu.be/x9opDbE5v38.
Posted By: slydogx

Re: Drowning rods. (Tom Miranda) - 02/21/20 12:56 PM

Those Miranda old school videos are great. I think I've seen them all lol
Posted By: k snow

Re: Drowning rods. (Tom Miranda) - 02/21/20 12:59 PM

His blooper videos are very entertaining.
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Drowning rods. (Tom Miranda) - 02/21/20 01:10 PM

I was standing there watching as it was being filmed right by my house.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Drowning rods. (Tom Miranda) - 02/21/20 01:45 PM

7/16 smooth rod. Fine for coons and mink , but not very Universal.
All the FFG videos were fun to watch back then.
Posted By: DWC

Re: Drowning rods. (Tom Miranda) - 02/21/20 01:54 PM

Love these videos. Why do they never wear gloves in the water?

Re: Drowning rods. (Tom Miranda) - 02/21/20 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by DWC

They were just doing production sets for video!
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Drowning rods. (Tom Miranda) - 02/21/20 01:57 PM

I rarely wore gloves it slowed me way down.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Drowning rods. (Tom Miranda) - 02/21/20 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by DWC

I never wore gloves either water trapping.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Drowning rods. (Tom Miranda) - 02/21/20 02:39 PM

I never could work with gloves either it was like having socks on my hands but that might be why my hands hurt so much today. Toms hands would dry out from being in the water and start to crack so he was a big fan of them gauntlets back then.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Drowning rods. (Tom Miranda) - 02/21/20 03:06 PM

Early in the season I never wore gloves either. But later, when things started to ice up, I always wore gloves. I ain't that tough.
Posted By: danvee

Re: Drowning rods. (Tom Miranda) - 02/21/20 03:16 PM

Lot of metal to pack around and would never work in western rocky creeks but seems great in his location. As far as gloves I never used them much for water trapping but always carried a jar of mink oil boot recuperation and rubbed it in my hands several times a day.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Drowning rods. (Tom Miranda) - 02/21/20 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
7/16 smooth rod. Fine for coons and mink , but not very Universal..

not universal?

I've been using 3/8" smooth rod for over 15 yrs for all water trapping with no problems, but you MUST get that deep end secured or a 75 lb beaver can have your rod twisted like a pretzel according to a couple of my customers who failed to do so.
Posted By: TC1

Re: Drowning rods. (Tom Miranda) - 02/21/20 04:44 PM

If I'm not mistaken, I even saw ol' Law Dog in Tom's awesome videos making snares if I recall......

Re: Drowning rods. (Tom Miranda) - 02/21/20 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by traprjohn
7/16 smooth rod. Fine for coons and mink , but not very Universal..

not universal?

I've been using 3/8" smooth rod for over 15 yrs for all water trapping with no problems, but you MUST get that deep end secured or a 75 lb beaver can have your rod twisted like a pretzel according to a couple of my customers who failed to do so.

Well to each their own....Ive never had a pretzel rod in over 25 yrs since switching from cable -and don't want one. 1/2" or better for me.
Posted By: TurTLe

Re: Drowning rods. (Tom Miranda) - 02/21/20 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by TC1
If I'm not mistaken, I even saw ol' Law Dog in Tom's awesome videos making snares if I recall......

If I recall old Law Dog was hanging out by a mine in the great State of Arizona in the Bobcat trapping video. I love all those old videos. When I got stationed in Kansas I bought Bernie's Farmland Fur Trapping book. I read that thing until it literally fell apart. It was good reading when out on training exercises for weeks on end.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Drowning rods. (Tom Miranda) - 02/21/20 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by danvee
Lot of metal to pack around and would never work in western rocky creeks but seems great in his location. As far as gloves I never used them much for water trapping but always carried a jar of mink oil boot recuperation and rubbed it in my hands several times a day.

Actually, you can make them work in rocky areas most of the time. You need to have two anchor points about a foot apart on the shore end. It won't really matter if the end is stuck in the bottom because with two anchor points the beaver can't spin the rod around and get back on shore. I would like to take credit for this idea, but I got it from none other than "The Beav" on Tman. And it works well.

Re: Drowning rods. (Tom Miranda) - 02/21/20 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper7
Originally Posted by danvee

Actually, you can make them work in rocky areas most of the time. You need to have two anchor points about a foot apart on the shore end. It won't really matter if the end is stuck in the bottom because with two anchor points the beaver can't spin the rod around and get back on shore. I would like to take credit for this idea, but I got it from none other than "The Beav" on Tman. And it works well.

Im going to modify a couple and try that!
Posted By: Michael Morris

Re: Drowning rods. (Tom Miranda) - 02/21/20 05:42 PM

Im going to modify a couple and try that!

x2
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Drowning rods. (Tom Miranda) - 02/21/20 07:27 PM

I use rerod here and 1/8 cables, the creeks are deep and muddy in places I just drive the rerod in at a angle away from the trap until the cable is tight then I use 330s in the shallow places.
Posted By: Mac

Re: Drowning rods. (Tom Miranda) - 02/23/20 12:55 PM

I always like the information Tom put out. Both in his books and his videos. Excellent information. Met him once and he seemed to be an awesome guy.
Very nice to talk to.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Drowning rods. (Tom Miranda) - 02/23/20 01:06 PM

Hey, I can explain my huge glasses in some of those old clips.
Please don't judge me!
Posted By: keets

Re: Drowning rods. (Tom Miranda) - 02/23/20 01:08 PM

stylin in those days grinhad a pair just like those

Re: Drowning rods. (Tom Miranda) - 02/23/20 01:17 PM

Keets,

Yep.
I think when we went to the optometrist (no Costcos back then) it was do you like this pair.... or that pair?
Posted By: keets

Re: Drowning rods. (Tom Miranda) - 02/23/20 01:23 PM

laugh
Posted By: Yooper1978

Re: Drowning rods. (Tom Miranda) - 02/23/20 01:52 PM

Mark, are you talking about these glasses? Seriously though, you guys have helped thousands become better trappers/outdoorsmen. Thanks for putting in the hard work to help us out.

https://youtu.be/0HGCUy6k5p0

Re: Drowning rods. (Tom Miranda) - 02/23/20 01:54 PM

Yooper,

Oh my goodness. Thank you.
Man, I had a smoking good red fox line back then.
Doesn't time just whiz on by!

Mark

Re: Drowning rods. (Tom Miranda) - 02/23/20 02:10 PM

Early in the season I never wore gloves either. But later, when things started to ice up, I always wore gloves. I ain't that tough.

Tough or with or with arthritis now : grin

Nothing wrong with gauntlets in Janyary ... : cool
© 2024 Trapperman Forums