Home

Sweet Corn Seed

Posted By: TreedaBlackdog

Sweet Corn Seed - 02/21/20 01:58 PM

About the time of year to get seed orders in. What kind of corn is everyone planting this year? Let us know why as well.
Posted By: Coon Duke

Re: Sweet Corn Seed - 02/21/20 02:16 PM

Bodacious...because it’s the best ever. LOL. If you want a bi color Ambrosia is similar.

Also Catalyst XR. 66 day maturing super sweet. Earliest on the market they say. It’s a bi color.
Posted By: Jediknight

Re: Sweet Corn Seed - 02/21/20 02:25 PM

Mallard Seed out of Minnesota had the best sweet corn in the country. It was called Infinite Delight. Only problem is the company sold out about 10 years ago. Don't know what ever happened to their sweet corn but no one, not even Pioneer or DeKalb could compare with it. The seed was researched in South America and they sold tons of it out of Plainview, MN. Hutterite colonies across the Dakotas planted it every year. It was a fat, full ear of yellow corn. Miss having it.

Wish I could find it.
Posted By: teepee2

Re: Sweet Corn Seed - 02/21/20 03:01 PM

American dream it's a sh2 variety super sweet.
Posted By: TreedaBlackdog

Re: Sweet Corn Seed - 02/21/20 03:10 PM

Do any sweet corns hold up better to Japanese beetles? We have had about 3 years of them and it does not look like its going to get better.
Posted By: Computer Hater

Re: Sweet Corn Seed - 02/21/20 09:01 PM

Bodacious and Incredible.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Sweet Corn Seed - 02/21/20 09:53 PM

I'm still loyal to the grand old Silver Queen though I'm open to a good early 60-70 day white comparable to Silver Queen.
My tastes run to old fashioned corn flavor. Truckers Favorite or Country Gentleman shoepeg for fried or creamed corn is about as good as it gets.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Sweet Corn Seed - 02/22/20 01:24 AM

Jubilee and Bodacious. Has always done well here in Pa., if the coons don’t work it over.
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Sweet Corn Seed - 02/22/20 01:29 AM

Ambrosia makes me giddy.....
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: Sweet Corn Seed - 02/22/20 01:51 AM

Sweetness ,A 68 day corn SYN Bi Color 8 inch ears second to none.
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: Sweet Corn Seed - 02/22/20 01:55 AM

Good ol peaches n cream. Gotta have it. Ambrosia.bodacious. whatever the seed dealer drops off. He left some rr seed last year it was awesome! Im not certain but I think it was called temptation.
Posted By: trapete

Re: Sweet Corn Seed - 02/22/20 02:00 AM

I plant Montauk the customers at the stand love it . Silver king for a late corn .
Posted By: gregh

Re: Sweet Corn Seed - 02/22/20 02:05 AM

Honey Select, is a great sweet corn. Just got a pound of seed in today.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Sweet Corn Seed - 02/22/20 02:44 AM

[quote=Coon Duke]Bodacious...because it’s the best ever.

Yup,Jubilee is good too.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Sweet Corn Seed - 02/22/20 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by Bigbrownie
Jubilee and Bodacious..

My two favorites.
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Sweet Corn Seed - 02/22/20 03:18 AM

I'm going back to Honey Select from Silver Queen. I can tell it's sweeter as the squirrels are harder to keep out.
Posted By: LAtrapper

Re: Sweet Corn Seed - 02/22/20 04:08 AM

I am not much of a gardener, however, I recently received a catalog from Farmer Seed and Nursery (www.farmerseed.com). It does advertise quite a few varieties of sweet corn- May have to copy and paste to your search engine- https://www.farmerseed.com/index.php?controller=store&src=%40random56cf80677be65&int=&action=searchByModelForm&search_product=&search_item=corn
Posted By: HayDay

Re: Sweet Corn Seed - 02/22/20 11:49 AM

Vision super sweet, which is yellow. Planted the first time last year and that may be all I use this year. It was that good.

Was recommended by U of MO Extension guys.....went to their field day a few years back. They also mentioned that out of the 20 or 30 varieties they planted, Vision was #1 choice of the local coons. I had to use 2 layers of electric fence to keep the coons out of mine.

Pluses, excellent flavor, plus long harvest window of nearly 10 days from when it is ready to pick until it goes into tougher dough stage.
Downside is it is a super sweet, so can't be planted anywhere near other corns where it might cross pollinate (tassel at the same time), including field corn. If it cross pollinates, it is no good.
Posted By: Broomchaser

Re: Sweet Corn Seed - 02/22/20 11:56 AM

Incredible.
Posted By: amspoker

Re: Sweet Corn Seed - 02/22/20 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Computer Hater
Bodacious and Incredible.

X2

When I give people incredible for the first time, it is always the best they've ever had.
Posted By: imissed

Re: Sweet Corn Seed - 02/22/20 02:00 PM

NK 199.

Old fashion all yellow corn not bi colored. Long, big ears and very sweet and tender.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums