Home

Spring turkey

Posted By: Law Dog

Spring turkey - 02/24/20 02:11 AM

Who’s ready and what’s the plan number of tags, States, species?
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: Spring turkey - 02/24/20 02:22 AM

Gould's turkey in Mexico. whistle
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Spring turkey - 02/24/20 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by Sprung&Rusty
Gould's turkey in Mexico. whistle

Where and with who? Went with Chihuahua Outfitters last year and had a blast! Completed my Royal Slam X2!

Glad I went when I did, no trips this year due to financial difficulties, lol.

Re: Spring turkey - 02/24/20 02:25 AM

Flying I hope! wink
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: Spring turkey - 02/24/20 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
Flying I hope! wink

Bus. wink
Posted By: DWC

Re: Spring turkey - 02/24/20 02:28 AM

Got my SD bow tag and will get at least one NE shotgun tag, maybe two. Anyone jumped on this .410 fad lately?? That old school camo pattern on the mossberg 500 is pretty cool. With the 5 dollar-a-shot shells im reading about 45 yard range??

Re: Spring turkey - 02/24/20 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by DWC
Got my SD bow tag and will get at least one NE shotgun tag, maybe two. Anyone jumped on this .410 fad lately?? That old school camo pattern on the mossberg 500 is pretty cool. With the 5 dollar-a-shot shells im reading about 45 yard range??

Better stick with 25 yards or closer. A .410 isn’t exactly a 20ga.

Re: Spring turkey - 02/24/20 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by Sprung&Rusty
Flying I hope! wink

Bus. wink

Pack some lube and tissues.
eek
Posted By: Posco

Re: Spring turkey - 02/24/20 02:43 AM

Maine. Two birds. Twenty gauge. Got new decoys.

Re: Spring turkey - 02/24/20 02:45 AM

.410 sounds interesting but 25 yards would be my limit like said. Last year I had 2 in that range out in the Hills it would of worked fine but on a tough day useless if they hang up out further.

Re: Spring turkey - 02/24/20 02:45 AM

Just 3 here in Georgia unless I win the lottery in the next month. First year since I started turkey hunting that I won’t be traveling.

Re: Spring turkey - 02/24/20 02:47 AM

Now NE non- resident is it $95 tag or is that just for the first tag? Never could figure that out.

Re: Spring turkey - 02/24/20 02:50 AM

Think each tag is that price.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Spring turkey - 02/24/20 02:50 AM

Minn. 1 bird. Eastern

I haven't decided New xbow or 12 ga. Yet

Re: Spring turkey - 02/24/20 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be

$87 last year for WY and it’s just across the border from where I hunt in SD. That would be almost $300 for 3 birds.

Re: Spring turkey - 02/24/20 02:58 AM

We would buy tags for Kansas and after limiting out we’d head to Nebraska. Only buy one tag at a time, after we’d find birds. Could’ve swore then the tags were only $90 each.
Posted By: Chuckles84

Re: Spring turkey - 02/24/20 03:04 AM

Just 1 tag for me here in Illinois. The private land we hunt is pretty pressured and by the time we get in there the third season the birds are very wary.

Re: Spring turkey - 02/24/20 03:04 AM

Your first tag is the most expensive because of the habitat fee. Then the 2nd and 3rd are in that 95 range.
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Spring turkey - 02/24/20 03:09 AM

No tag in Nevada got 6 points now. Might hunt California if my son finds some birds if i can scrape up some extra cash then looking at Iowa or maybe ok need an Eastern
Posted By: billwhitakermo

Re: Spring turkey - 02/24/20 03:12 AM

Just here at home in the show me state for me. We get 2 birds. Already put in vacation for opening day.(April 20) I have hunted with my best friend on opening day for 20 plus years, except 3 of the 4 years he was in the navy. One of these days we would like to go chase the other species of turkeys across the country, but time and money stay in the way for now. I have started to get the itch and been playing that sweet hen music a little. My wife doesn't much like when spring turkey season is getting close, but she ain't kicked me out yet! Good luck men!!!
Posted By: Hydropillar

Re: Spring turkey - 02/24/20 03:15 AM

$87 last year for WY and it’s just across the border from where I hunt in SD. That would be almost $300 for 3 birds.

grandkids wont notice its gone !!\

Re: Spring turkey - 02/24/20 03:15 AM

1 WI, 1 WY and 3 SD tags for this year so far.
Posted By: Hydropillar

Re: Spring turkey - 02/24/20 03:17 AM

rich skunk guys startin to sound like farmers...lol
Posted By: arcticotter

Re: Spring turkey - 02/24/20 03:17 AM

I get to hunt at home this year. Custer State Park tag.
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Spring turkey - 02/24/20 03:42 AM

Ill just throw this out there but if anybody wants to show a western guy around and chase some Eastern birds im up for it. Not sure of any place i can still get tags tho. I wont take my buddies the next weekend i promise.

Re: Spring turkey - 02/24/20 03:44 AM

I hate this time of year. Today felt like 60. It wasnt but thats how it felt. Most of the snow is gone. Im gettin the itch bad, and last 2 years weve had over a foot of snow in April. Its gonna be a loooong couple months til season.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Spring turkey - 02/24/20 03:53 AM

I don't even like turkey hunting but I go shoot one every year since our DNR forces me to buy a license so I can take my boy to let him shoot one on his tag. I can take him deer hunting without a deer tag for myself but not a turkey. crazy
Posted By: NebrCatMan

Re: Spring turkey - 02/24/20 03:58 AM

I'm a bow hunter so no shotgun for me. But in Nebraska you can choose your weapon. So I'll be setting in a blind hoping for a gobbler so strut on by. I'll hopefully get to take a couple young first timers to, although they'll probably be tote n a 20 ga.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Spring turkey - 02/24/20 04:45 AM

Got busy and forgot they moved the draw date in my area, so the youngest will be the only one that gets to turkey hunt. We have 300 on our ground that we feed all winter long and can’t hunt them unless we draw a tag. My bad for sure but it’s definitely frustrating
Posted By: swift4me

Re: Spring turkey - 02/24/20 05:09 AM

No turkeys here in France for me, but for years in CA we got 3 in the spring and one in the fall for no charge. There are so many turkeys around residential areas they changed the law so you can shoot them with any pellet gun .20 cal or larger. Plus there was a two week archery season after the spring season which was 5 weeks long.

I'm building calls now for 5 guys there.

Good luck to everyone and be safe.

Pete

Re: Spring turkey - 02/24/20 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
I don't even like turkey hunting but I go shoot one every year since our DNR forces me to buy a license so I can take my boy to let him shoot one on his tag. I can take him deer hunting without a deer tag for myself but not a turkey. crazy

Embrace the gobble. Nothing like it.

Re: Spring turkey - 02/24/20 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Posco

Having a bird come in silent then bust out a gobble behind you will test any mans nerves! LOL
Posted By: Prn

Re: Spring turkey - 02/24/20 11:02 AM

Just a shotgun tag in SD for me. But the tag I am the most excited about is my daughter's. She is 9 and ready for her first Turkey hunt. She has been practicing calling and is sure excited.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Spring turkey - 02/24/20 11:48 AM

I'll be at my camp for a week in May chasing them around the mountains of north central PA. In spring we can get one bearded bird with our regular license and a second bearded bird with a special permit. One bird of either sex in fall on the regular license.

Hunting spring gobblers is my favorite thing to do.
Posted By: ecam

Re: Spring turkey - 02/24/20 12:34 PM

2 PA and 2 WV this year
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Spring turkey - 02/24/20 01:00 PM

I'm ready.Here in Maine.Allowed 3 between spring and fall.Using my hand made turkey wishbone turkey call made right here in Maine by Peter Wentworth
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Chamacat

Re: Spring turkey - 02/24/20 02:11 PM

Yep.."Swift4Me" makes the world's finest box calls..I think Pete made 4 or 5 of them for T-Man last year..I know someones got pictures..
Posted By: TrapperTone

Re: Spring turkey - 02/24/20 02:35 PM

This is the first year I have ever not got a turkey tag in the first round in SD. Way more people applied for East River tags this year and I'm not sure why. Fingers crossed for the second round. This was supposed to be the year I harvested a turkey out of my 40th county in SD but I need a shotgun tag to do it. Beyond that I've already got Iowa and I'm in for Nevada (still waiting for the draw to happen). All the other states I'm considering are OTC so it's just a matter of how many of them I can hit in the time I'm off from work.
Posted By: goatman

Re: Spring turkey - 02/24/20 02:35 PM

[/quote]

Having a bird come in silent then bust out a gobble behind you will test any mans nerves! LOL
[/quote]

And his shorts.LOL. Also ruin a good nap.

Re: Spring turkey - 02/24/20 02:44 PM

Turkey hunting gets in your blood just something about a big old gobbler coming into a call nothing like it.
Posted By: snowy

Re: Spring turkey - 02/24/20 02:50 PM

^ I actually had a gobbler come in behind me and gobbled some years back. It scared the living heck out of me, I fell off the chair and broke the paddle on my box call.
With all of that the bird stayed the course and I harvested that bird. What a circus it was!!

Re: Spring turkey - 02/24/20 03:33 PM

Yep..I enjoy spring gobbler hunts more than elk hunt's...
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Spring turkey - 02/24/20 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by snowy
^ I actually had a gobbler come in behind me and gobbled some years back. It scared the living heck out of me, I fell off the chair and broke the paddle on my box call.
With all of that the bird stayed the course and I harvested that bird. What a circus it was!!

grin

Re: Spring turkey - 02/24/20 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by snowy

Yep..I hear you..I've had them come in quiet and light up next to me...let's you know your alive...LOL
Posted By: claycreech

Re: Spring turkey - 02/24/20 04:16 PM

I’ll be headed to South GA (if Swampwolf will have me), here in Mo, then going to try WI for the first time.

I turkey hunted out of state the first time in 1990. I have hunted in as many as 6 states in one spring. Not that mad at them anymore.
Put a lot of miles on and spent lots of $ chasing gobblers. It’s hands down my favorite hunting.

Re: Spring turkey - 02/24/20 04:33 PM

Yep..Just looked up my turkey draw results..another no draw year...dang the bad luck..LOL

However the "OTC"..Over The Counter hunts are still a go.. grin
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Spring turkey - 02/24/20 04:40 PM

Too boring for me. Setting around and waiting bores me to death, bow hunting deer is the same thing. Its great when the deer/turkeys are there but the rest of the time it sucks - IMHO.

Re: Spring turkey - 02/24/20 04:51 PM

Yep..Never hunted easterns..I'd get bored to if that's how one hunts them back east..sitting around all day..In fact I agree I wouldn't even hunt them..LOL
Posted By: grayfox54

Re: Spring turkey - 02/24/20 05:13 PM

I’m ready! Gonna take my 20ga, bought a couple of new pot calls and a dozen mouth calls, like I really needed them 🙄

Re: Spring turkey - 02/24/20 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Chamacat
Yep..Never hunted easterns..I'd get bored to if that's how one hunts them back east..sitting around all day..In fact I agree I wouldn't even hunt them..LOL

Actually the best way is to roost them then set up as close as possible the following morning to call one in as they fly down off the roost.Very exciting way to hunt and very safe.

Re: Spring turkey - 02/24/20 05:26 PM

Too boring for me. Setting around and waiting bores me to death, bow hunting deer is the same thing. Its great when the deer/turkeys are there but the rest of the time it sucks - IMHO.

I'm with you on the waiting but I'm much more patient waiting out a deer on stand than I am sitting there wondering if I have a gobbler working my way. I run & gun quite a bit if the birds aren't talking much. I'm with Law Dog...there's not much more exciting than hearing a fired-up old gobbler talking smack to ya.
Posted By: illinideer

Re: Spring turkey - 02/24/20 05:38 PM

Will try for 2 here at home in Illinois. We have a decent population here right now since I started trapping our turkey hunting has really improved for our family and neighbor. Way more birds to chase. I'm going to try and harvest a bird with my moms old JC Higgens pump 12 ga 2 3/4. Last year I took s bird with my grandfather 12 ga double and dads 16 ga double both stevens mod 311
J
Posted By: Claypool313

Re: Spring turkey - 02/24/20 06:01 PM

Just one PA tag for me this year. Lose a few prime days to late opener. No change in equipment or tactics this year. Just do some scouting in normal haunts to make sure some around. I guess im going to do one thing differently. Instead of setting cams onnfield edge, im going to put up in tree and set to field scan. If felt i missed patterning the mornings last year with such a small view to trigger the cams.

Re: Spring turkey - 02/24/20 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce T

Actually the best way is to roost them then set up as close as possible the following morning to call one in as they fly down off the roost.Very exciting way to hunt and very safe.

Yep..That's how I try and do it out here..Start the day out right... grin
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Spring turkey - 02/24/20 06:07 PM

1st year I missed the lottery date. Know I will have to wait and get some left overs on line or go stand In line at the DNR service center.

Re: Spring turkey - 02/24/20 06:10 PM

Yep then running and gunning after that nothing like a good hike in the forest the down time is reflection time for me. Most folks won’t hunt a 2nd time with me I go where the birds are even if it’s straight up or down I’m going. LOL

Re: Spring turkey - 02/24/20 06:15 PM

I roosted one. More like four or five of them. I didn't know they were in the tree above me until one of them crapped on me right at daybreak. Hazard of bowhunting deer.

Re: Spring turkey - 02/24/20 07:11 PM

I roosted one. More like four or five of them. I didn't know they were in the tree above me until one of them crapped on me right at daybreak. Hazard of bowhunting deer.

Lol shocked at least you was sneaky enough.

Re: Spring turkey - 02/24/20 08:41 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Spring turkey - 02/24/20 08:44 PM

Lol in a deep holler at that.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Spring turkey - 02/25/20 12:44 AM

1 tag in u p of Michigan , should be more ,we are over run with them ,
Posted By: B. Shope

Re: Spring turkey - 02/25/20 01:03 AM

I used to do a MT WY NE and sometimes SD go 4 two weeks id get back and hunt ID on the weekends. Now i can kill 5 birds in Mt that keeps me busy now. Anybody wwatching the Pinhote Project on youtube?
Posted By: dublelung

Re: Spring turkey - 02/25/20 12:40 PM

I can kill 3 here in Mississippi, hope to hit Kentucky or Missouri this year too but it'll be spur of the moment notice. I've alternated between those 2 states the past 6 years and had great luck.
Posted By: adam m

Re: Spring turkey - 02/25/20 01:56 PM

Season starts 4/15 limit is 2 bearded

Re: Spring turkey - 02/25/20 02:32 PM

Tough to pick a week/weeks to go with the weather in the high country in the spring I have hunted in desert to arctic weather in past years, have sat in the rain for a week also. Hunting just below the snowline is pretty close to opening day conditions if a guy works for it.

My buddy has to pick his vacation time ahead of time so even if it’s bad we are going, with the snow last year we still pulled 3 birds no problem. I watch the weather and look for 3day gaps of good weather to pop out there for a few days.

It seems like some days we have the Hills to ourselves and other times it’s like hunting back East again but all hunting seems like that on public but that’s part of the challenge.

Re: Spring turkey - 02/25/20 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by B. Shope
I used to do a MT WY NE and sometimes SD go 4 two weeks id get back and hunt ID on the weekends. Now i can kill 5 birds in Mt that keeps me busy now. Anybody wwatching the Pinhote Project on youtube?

Dave is a good friend of mine. What you see on his videos is 100% true. That kid has a gobbler or two in his family tree. Persistence kills turkey and he doesn’t stop until a bird is dead, but he has always given thanks afterwards. I was lucky enough to start hunting with him the very first year I started turkey hunting in 2010.
If y’all want to see a true turkey killer start following the Pinhoti Project. His breakdown videos offer a lot of tips.
Posted By: wisconsinteacher

Re: Spring turkey - 02/25/20 07:37 PM

I leave for FL in 3 weeks. Hopefully get my FL bird and then come home and hunt in WI on the tag I drew. I will try to get some left over tags and hopefully hunt a few different units in WI. If I can do it, I might try sneaking to SD for a quick hunt.

This year I will be using the 20ga and 16ga with tss.

Already planning a Rio or Merriam hunt for next spring. One of my life goals is to get the slam!!!

Re: Spring turkey - 02/25/20 07:43 PM

If a guy decides to come out at the last minute to SD we have picked up licenses at the nature center in Rapid City before rather the mailing in for a tag. You just get on the computer there and buy your tag and the lady in the next room prints it out for you. Call before you go it’s been a few years.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Spring turkey - 02/25/20 07:49 PM

we have lots of birds , an not many hunter anymore ,
Posted By: wisconsinteacher

Re: Spring turkey - 02/25/20 08:48 PM

Any turkey hunters out there want to maybe do some swapping of information on out of state hunts? I'm not saying I can put you under the limb every day but I can point you in a direction or swap out on some fishing here in WI.
Posted By: Michigander

Re: Spring turkey - 02/25/20 08:54 PM

I am planning on hunting Kentucky in the end of April for sure. Still on the fence about going to Tennessee the first week of April. Hopefully I will draw a public land tag for the end of May in Michigan. If not I will hunt the same birds the whole month of May but restricted to our farm which is surrounded by public. Next year I will hopefully get a merriams somewhere, thinking South Dakota.

Re: Spring turkey - 02/25/20 08:57 PM

I need a Rio, but will never get my FL bird either I’m to cheap to pay what they want for one down there. I hunted OK once was going to get set up and that fell through so I hunted public and seen 1 hen that week. The birds were just over the fence on private ground.

Re: Spring turkey - 02/25/20 09:05 PM

The Black Hills National Forest is huge and covers the East end of SD and goes into WY the further North you go the more it drifts into WY. SD you can buy on line and WY is over the counter in several areas. It’s tough to plan around the weather could be hot or butt deep in some places a guy can drive out of it most years rain is the enemy.

Birds can be easy others hammer away as they walk away and never look back. LOL
Posted By: B. Shope

Re: Spring turkey - 02/26/20 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by B. Shope

Dave is a good friend of mine. What you see on his videos is 100% true. That kid has a gobbler or two in his family tree. Persistence kills turkey and he doesn’t stop until a bird is dead, but he has always given thanks afterwards. I was lucky enough to start hunting with him the very first year I started turkey hunting in 2010.
If y’all want to see a true turkey killer start following the Pinhoti Project. His breakdown videos offer a lot of tips.

Daves my hero

Re: Spring turkey - 02/26/20 02:31 AM

I need a Rio, but will never get my FL bird either I’m to cheap to pay what they want for one down there. I hunted OK once was going to get set up and that fell through so I hunted public and seen 1 hen that week. The birds were just over the fence on private ground.

Start putting in for the quota hunts. We get drawn about every 3rd year. Still cost you the drive down and some groceries, but a lot cheaper than a paid hunt. I will admit it’s still not a guarantee, some years the birds just don’t want to play, but other years you have to beat them off with a stick.
Posted By: cotton

Re: Spring turkey - 02/26/20 02:51 AM

still got all 3 of my tags so i'll get out and try to use at least two of em lol
12 gauge one and gonna try to contender one, but it wont be no 410 bore lol
Posted By: snowy

Re: Spring turkey - 02/26/20 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by adam m
Season starts 4/15 limit is 2 bearded

Adam you going to go out and try your luck, this year?
Posted By: JEckman

Re: Spring turkey - 02/26/20 07:22 PM

KY PA and NY where I'll be.. Got a new bow that needs broke in and a new shotgun..
© 2024 Trapperman Forums