Home

Pickled Critter Feet?

Posted By: TrapperLibrarian

Pickled Critter Feet? - 02/24/20 05:02 PM

I'm reading The Final Frontiersman: Heimo Korth and His Family, Alone in Alaska's Arctic Wilderness by James Campbell about his visits with, and description of, his full-time trapper cousin Heimo Korth's life above the Arctic Circle in Alaska (there was a recent show about him and other Alaskan trapping families called "The Last Alaskans;" the book was written in 2005). The book is great (so is the show) and I'd highly recommend it!

I came across something interesting in it that I wanted to ask y'all about: It mentions the family eating pickled beaver feet from the beaver they catch. It's a very brief description. All Heimo says about it is that they put the feet in vinegar and that they are good eating. I've been gifted 2 frozen raccoons and would like to try to pickle the feet, if that would be edible and tasty. If not, then I won't do it. Has anyone ever pickled and eaten the feet of a critter? How did it turn out? Could someone share their recipe for it, if they have one?

Thanks!

-Kris
Posted By: white17

Re: Pickled Critter Feet? - 02/24/20 05:10 PM

I have eaten the feet of grizzly bears but they were WELL cooked.

I would be cautious eating feet etc. that have not been cooked because of Dracunculus insignis often found in the lower extremities of aquatic and semi-aquatic critters.

If you boiled them first you'd probably be fine
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: Pickled Critter Feet? - 02/24/20 06:13 PM

I've eaten more pickles pigs feet and ears than I could ever remember. It's very similar to head cheese as far as I can tell. Feet (or ears) get boiled in a mixture of water, vinegar, pickling spice, and sugar until the collagen is dissolved and the feet are soft. Once cooked enough it goes into the fridge to cool and set up into jelly. I wish I could remember the exact recipe, but it's been quite a while.
However, even with a market hog there's only so much edible material. Very little meat, it's mostly skin and gristle that's edible. I'm not sure how much you'd be able to eat off coon feet. It would also take a LOT more than 8 coon feet to get enough collagen to set up into jelly.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Pickled Critter Feet? - 02/24/20 07:12 PM

[Linked Image]
This recipe is from a 1975 PRESTO guide to modern canning
Posted By: gryhkl

Re: Pickled Critter Feet? - 02/24/20 08:18 PM

I would not eat a 'coon's foot.
Posted By: patfundine

Re: Pickled Critter Feet? - 02/24/20 08:23 PM

Some of you people are just nasty. You could make a side dish of noodles with the worms that come out of coon legs while you're at it
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Pickled Critter Feet? - 02/24/20 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by patfundine
Some of you people are just nasty. You could make a side dish of noodles with the worms that come out of coon legs while you're at it

Yup
Posted By: waggler

Re: Pickled Critter Feet? - 02/24/20 08:35 PM

Why would you resort to eating stuff that should be thrown out on the carcass pile?
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Pickled Critter Feet? - 02/24/20 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by gryhkl
I would not eat a 'coon's foot.

Neither would I
Posted By: mississippiposse

Re: Pickled Critter Feet? - 02/24/20 08:49 PM

No coon feet for me No pig feet either. My mother loved pigs feet
Posted By: Boco

Re: Pickled Critter Feet? - 02/24/20 08:50 PM

Probably be better than the pressed monkey meat you get at MacDonalds.

Re: Pickled Critter Feet? - 02/24/20 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
Probably be better than the pressed monkey meat you get at MacDonalds.

Ive never ordered that

Your Mc D's Rocks Boco
Posted By: Tom cat

Re: Pickled Critter Feet? - 02/24/20 09:21 PM

If it were me, I’d stick with eating the meat, and toss the rest. I’ve cut off enough feet pads to tell you that they’re pretty much leather.... just saying..

Re: Pickled Critter Feet? - 02/24/20 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Kristin
I'm reading The Final Frontiersman: Heimo Korth and His Family, Alone in Alaska's Arctic Wilderness by James Campbell about his visits with, and description of, his full-time trapper cousin Heimo Korth's life above the Arctic Circle in Alaska (there was a recent show about him and other Alaskan trapping families called "The Last Alaskans;" the book was written in 2005). The book is great (so is the show) and I'd highly recommend it!

I came across something interesting in it that I wanted to ask y'all about: It mentions the family eating pickled beaver feet from the beaver they catch. It's a very brief description. All Heimo says about it is that they put the feet in vinegar and that they are good eating. I've been gifted 2 frozen raccoons and would like to try to pickle the feet, if that would be edible and tasty. If not, then I won't do it. Has anyone ever pickled and eaten the feet of a critter? How did it turn out? Could someone share their recipe for it, if they have one?

Thanks!

-Kris

Don't eat them wormy coon ankles.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Pickled Critter Feet? - 02/24/20 10:50 PM

I wouldn't figure coon feet would have much to them. Seen folks eat chicken feet, so it might not be much different.
Now I've never understood why trappers knock coon meat. Not very good advertisement for something that is both edible and most importantly salable. Especially in a down market.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Pickled Critter Feet? - 02/24/20 11:37 PM

I don't see anything wrong with trying raccoon feet as long as you cook them long enough and hot enough to kill any parasites.

Besides the novelty, I don't think there is enough on a raccoon's feet to make pickling 8 raccoon feet worthwhile.

Keith
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Pickled Critter Feet? - 02/24/20 11:47 PM

Anyone like chicken breast or is it just me? Lol

Re: Pickled Critter Feet? - 02/24/20 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Jurassic Park

I like prime ribs.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Pickled Critter Feet? - 02/25/20 12:03 AM

I have a question.... WHY??? I could see if your near starving or you were on a tv show (for the drama) but seriously beyond the usual beef, chicken or pork, there's usually deer, ducks, rabbits, fish or even the red meat on a coon. But why the feet? Especially with those worms. Unless I'm starving I'm not not eating something my dog isnt intrested in eating.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Pickled Critter Feet? - 02/25/20 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Jurassic Park

I think id rather try somthing adventurous than eat chicken breast one minute overcooked and it turns dry and starchy i cant hardly swallow it , give me a thigh any day ,eaven the feet . I realy doubt that coons eat near as much of its own crap as a chicken does or cannibalize its dead and rotting brethren before the barn keeper gets the deads picked up .

Re: Pickled Critter Feet? - 02/25/20 01:17 AM

Just the coon meat alone ... good stuff!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums