Home

No closed season night hunting?

Posted By: Oleo Acres

No closed season night hunting? - 02/25/20 02:29 AM

WV Div, of Nat. Resources is proposing allowing year round night hunting for coyote. I got no love for a coyote,but any opinions on shooting while pups are in the den? Just seems wrong to me.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: No closed season night hunting? - 02/25/20 02:36 AM

Georgia has a 365 day or night season on coyotes...not a furbearer or game animal. Doesn’t seem to make a dent in them. Just like beavers and hogs...no closed seasons.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: No closed season night hunting? - 02/25/20 02:37 AM

They have been trying to put the hurt on yotes out West for over a 100 years and the yotes are still winning fear not.

Re: No closed season night hunting? - 02/25/20 02:50 AM

Those kind of rules benefit the guys doing damage control it’s not a hunting/furbearer thing it makes no sense to hunt them in the off season just cuts down the red tape is all.
Posted By: CoonsBane

Re: No closed season night hunting? - 02/25/20 02:52 AM

PA is 24/7/365 for the most part. Still plenty here.

Re: No closed season night hunting? - 02/25/20 02:55 AM

Our DNR puts out info about hunting coyotes and hogs and encourages it. Most landowners want them all gone. You can trap a place for 4 straight months until you get no pics or even a track or rooting, then come back 6 months later and the place is overrun with them again. It’s a never ending battle we will never win.
Posted By: TurkeyWrangler

Re: No closed season night hunting? - 02/25/20 04:48 AM

We can here in AR now but only with a free permit and on private land.
Posted By: red mt

Re: No closed season night hunting? - 02/25/20 05:59 AM

Coyote is one of those buggers,,, the harder you push on them the harder they push back.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: No closed season night hunting? - 02/25/20 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Oleo Acres
WV Div, of Nat. Resources is proposing allowing year round night hunting for coyote. I got no love for a coyote,but any opinions on shooting while pups are in the den? Just seems wrong to me.

your thinking like a sportsman , your idea of fair chase.

they are thinking anti terrorism , give no sanctuary.
Posted By: Squash

Re: No closed season night hunting? - 02/25/20 09:48 AM

Invasive species east of the Mississippi, kill them all.
Posted By: Oleo Acres

Re: No closed season night hunting? - 02/25/20 10:04 AM

All true,,,I guess I just dislike the dnr messing with things.. They Have a;so proposed putting a 30 fish daily limit on an a combination of all panfish species,and the reason they gave was,,,,,we talked about it and 30 sounded about right.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: No closed season night hunting? - 02/25/20 10:35 AM

I agree that its not right to kill a animal ,having little on , you don't see crop damage permit to kill deer In spring ?
Posted By: midlander

Re: No closed season night hunting? - 02/25/20 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Oleo Acres
All true,,,I guess I just dislike the dnr messing with things.. They Have a;so proposed putting a 30 fish daily limit on an a combination of all panfish species,and the reason they gave was,,,,,we talked about it and 30 sounded about right.

I guess you'd rather have your legislafure making those decisiins..?
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: No closed season night hunting? - 02/25/20 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Trapper Dahlgren
I agree that its not right to kill a animal ,having little on , you don't see crop damage permit to kill deer In spring ?

Yes you do.
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: No closed season night hunting? - 02/25/20 01:57 PM

Hard to imagine anyone being opposed to killing coyotes by any means at any time.
Posted By: Michigander

Re: No closed season night hunting? - 02/25/20 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Squash

No they aren't.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: No closed season night hunting? - 02/25/20 02:06 PM

Whack em' and stack em'
But night hunting for Yotes opens up pandora s box for poachers also.

Re: No closed season night hunting? - 02/25/20 02:12 PM

Coyotes have no protection here we can stop our vehicles on the roadway and shoot them out the window no problem, many rural folks have guns in their vehicles in case they see one, some guys run dogs. Liberal trapping regulations, full-time State trappers and 2 planes they gun from when they can and we still have a lot of yotes.

I think you will be OK, with all we can do here I don’t know of any trapper/hunter that goes after them without a reason to in the “off” seasons. State trappers need a reason also they don’t trap without some kind of cause.
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: No closed season night hunting? - 02/25/20 03:10 PM

Guess some of you would have a fit if you knew about den dogs and how that scenario goes. I see it no different than finding a family of coons in my chicken coop. I don't spare the little ones because they're little or "cute". May as well go get your HSUS or PETA membership card.
Posted By: wetdog

Re: No closed season night hunting? - 02/25/20 03:17 PM

The only good yote is a dead yote.
Posted By: walleyed

Re: No closed season night hunting? - 02/25/20 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by wetdog
The only good yote is a dead yote.

I like Coyotes !!! laugh

(As long as I don't have to skin one)
Posted By: Posco

Re: No closed season night hunting? - 02/25/20 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Michigander

No they aren't.

He's more or less correct. When I was a kid, if a hunter shot a coyote here it made the newspaper. They were just moving in and it was a big deal to take one. Now were overrun with them.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: No closed season night hunting? - 02/25/20 03:56 PM

I remember that.... called brush wolves
Posted By: Squash

Re: No closed season night hunting? - 02/25/20 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Michigander

No they aren't.

You better read up on your history, when the Lewis and Clark Corp of discovery first encountered a coyote west of the Mississippi, they did not know what it was, because no one east of the Mississippi during that era or before, had ever seen one.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: No closed season night hunting? - 02/25/20 04:31 PM

FWIW I don't like the idea of leaving a den of pups to starve either. Guess I'm just getting soft in my old age.

Re: No closed season night hunting? - 02/25/20 04:39 PM

We caught one as kids about 40 years ago and my buddy thought we had someone’s dog, lol. I’d seen some out in NM and knew what it was. We released it (never seen one brought in to sell) because we figured we wouldn’t get anything for it. Now that’s back when green coons were getting us $15-18 and fox were about $30-35.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums