Home

Trapline dog

Posted By: chico

Trapline dog - 02/25/20 05:46 PM

What would be a good dog for the trapline and still live in the house also?
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Trapline dog - 02/25/20 05:55 PM

Many good choices. The one smart enough to stay away from the skunks would be best of course. IMO a medium sized dog with some terrier in it that doesn't shed a lot like an Airedale would be a good choice.

Re: Trapline dog - 02/25/20 06:10 PM

Thank you for the reply .
Posted By: Sawmill Creek

Re: Trapline dog - 02/25/20 06:17 PM

Come on Chico, get another boxer
Posted By: Lazarus

Re: Trapline dog - 02/25/20 06:27 PM

Chico:

I've real good luck with the Kemmer Cur line of dogs frequently used in the west (i.e. Montana/Wyoming/Utah/Nevada/Idaho). They are smart, personable, good hunters, trail well, and very valuable when it comes to locating fur.

Re: Trapline dog - 02/25/20 06:59 PM

LoL we will mike . But just looking for one to work the line. We love the boxers not sure how they will work on the line. Thank you Lazarus for the reply
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Trapline dog - 02/25/20 07:02 PM

same here laz,but i messed up and crossed my last cur with a super smart australian sheppard.amazing dog but i can't break its urge to lead and herd and thats not good when checking traps.i'm 52 and think if i'm gonna have a good feist in my lifetime it might as well be soon.
Posted By: Davisfur

Re: Trapline dog - 02/25/20 07:06 PM

Most an of your good cur breeds will make a good trap line dog. Like Lazarus said kemmers are a great breed. My trap line dog and full-time companion is a blackmouth cur, Catahoula cur cross and I couldn't ask for a better dog. Works great on the trap line and will trail and tree most anything I put him on. Has also found a couple of deer that would have otherwise gone unfound after being shot.

Re: Trapline dog - 02/25/20 07:13 PM

agree--shoulda said 30 yrs of curs here.

good spot to look is join the cur and fiest breeders association if its still kicking.its how i met buyers and breeders to get my start.

Re: Trapline dog - 02/25/20 07:18 PM

talk to Badgerman50 on here. He should be able to steer you in the right direction. When my dog goes down, that's probably where I'm gonna start.

Re: Trapline dog - 02/25/20 07:20 PM

dogs on here i'd love all the time just too far.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Trapline dog - 02/25/20 07:31 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I like chocolate labs
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Trapline dog - 02/25/20 08:33 PM

Here is my baby girl! [Linked Image]

She's a workin girl!
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Trapline dog - 02/25/20 08:52 PM

A lot of good bleeds now a days. I'm leaning towards a blue Lacy for my next dog.
Posted By: Bruiser1

Re: Trapline dog - 02/25/20 08:57 PM

[Linked Image]

Hard to beat a Labrador. They were bred as a working dog in tough conditions.

Re: Trapline dog - 02/25/20 09:01 PM

Thank you all for your information and I will be looking into some of them

Re: Trapline dog - 02/25/20 09:15 PM

I said look at me when I'm talkin' to you . . .

[Linked Image]

Re: Trapline dog - 02/25/20 09:16 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Meathunter1978

Re: Trapline dog - 02/25/20 09:18 PM

[Linked Image]
Rhodesian ridgeback/lab mix. She'll bay up, track and guard the house. Not much more a trapper can ask for.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Trapline dog - 02/25/20 09:44 PM

[Linked Image]
Here's my little guy. Loki is a Jagd, English Shepherd cross. Still pretty young but he's getting there.
[Linked Image]
Just keep the TV remote away from him or you'll never get any work out of him!

Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Trapline dog - 02/25/20 11:37 PM

Thats a well worn ...I'm sure comfy couch!!!
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Trapline dog - 02/25/20 11:46 PM

Curs have short hair right?
My Dorn dog has 3" hair on top of neck shoulders, should help her to keep warm on the ATV, and in dog house

Re: Trapline dog - 02/26/20 12:26 AM

Yes most curs are short haired.
Posted By: Turd Furgeson

Re: Trapline dog - 02/26/20 12:34 AM

Cur, catahoula, Airedale, jagdt, lacy, JRT, and any crosses with those in it should suit you nicely for a trapline dog.
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Trapline dog - 02/26/20 12:49 AM

Lee how old is she now ?

Re: Trapline dog - 02/26/20 01:18 AM

Lee’s dogs sister from Dead Coyote on here, great dog.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: TONY.F

Re: Trapline dog - 02/26/20 01:33 AM

Wouldn’t trade my airedale for nothing [Linked Image]
Posted By: Fisher Man

Re: Trapline dog - 02/26/20 01:39 AM

I second the Rhodesian Ridgeback. Great dogs.
Posted By: MinkGuy

Re: Trapline dog - 02/26/20 02:18 AM

I thank Frank Sticka of Montana everyday for my dogs and Mark Zagger for pointing me in Frank's direction. From him I have an Irish Terrier and two airedales with a little something special mixed in. He knows dogs and they have a long line of heritage in them. I'm proud to say I have Sticka dogs!

Re: Trapline dog - 02/26/20 04:49 PM

Awesome pictures thank you all for sharing.
Posted By: PSPH17

Re: Trapline dog - 02/26/20 05:00 PM

I’m thinking about getting a Texas Blue Lacy also.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Trapline dog - 02/26/20 05:53 PM

I decided on a German Sheppard as a do everything dog . He is with me almost every step I take when I am home, and once he is grown up a bit, he will look after the missus and everything else around and in the house when I am gone for a few days. Still a pup but learning pretty fast.

[Linked Image]

Re: Trapline dog - 02/26/20 07:29 PM

[Linked Image]
Here's my Dorn dog, they seem to have a warmer coat of hair, I think
Posted By: 1crazytrapper

Re: Trapline dog - 02/27/20 04:10 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
My girl. She likes to do it all, just like I do. Is a great family pet that stays in the house.

Re: Trapline dog - 02/27/20 04:28 PM

Birds and trapping, good dog

Re: Trapline dog - 02/27/20 05:05 PM

Good looking dogs everyone, i can't even imagine trapping without a dog. I need to work with this lab on beaver trapping. My last lab would find the den holes for me . I'm planning on some spring water trapping.

Re: Trapline dog - 02/27/20 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Tactical.20

Thanks to Turd Ferguson! She is a pup out of the dog he got from Shannon, that is in the previous picture. She is a cross between that dam (jagd/airdale) and turd's male ( cur/plott) that I believe he got from John Graham. She is very intelligent and serious all of the time. She very loving and gentle with kids and people. My whole family loves her.

Re: Trapline dog - 02/27/20 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by 1crazytrapper
Originally Posted by Tactical.20

Thanks to Turd Ferguson! She is a pup out of the dog he got from Shannon, that is in the previous picture. She is a cross between that dam (jagd/airdale) and turd's male ( cur/plott) that I believe he got from John Graham. She is very intelligent and serious all of the time. She very loving and gentle with kids and people. My whole family loves her.

Good looking dog as well as universal. Just hope mine turns out half as good!
Posted By: Machias

Re: Trapline dog - 02/27/20 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Turd Furgeson
[Linked Image]

Love to have one just like this one!! Any future litters planned?

Re: Trapline dog - 02/27/20 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Machias
[Linked Image]

Love to have one just like this one!! Any future litters planned?

I won’t be having any more litters, I’m not sure if Shannon is planning on anymore jagdt/Airedale crosses or not.
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: Trapline dog - 02/27/20 09:50 PM

I have a nine month old mountain cur pup that I am training to be a trapline dog. Very friendly and loyal house pet and good watchdog. This dog, like some hunting dogs, are high energy so must be trained. I keep it inside but have a fenced in yard for him to get some of that energy out.
Posted By: Dillon Benda

Re: Trapline dog - 02/28/20 05:37 AM

Crazytrapper does that dog tree coons or were they all trapped?
Posted By: Marten Ted

Re: Trapline dog - 02/28/20 05:40 AM

My Airedale/Lab, she is a great dog all around. She had never ceased to amaze me. Sweet, smart , listens good, and tough as nails. She once found the only coyote that has ever pumped a stake out on me and tracked it at least half a mile just by scent, and kept it from going anywhere till I could get to it.[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Trapline dog - 02/28/20 07:24 AM

All depends on what you want it for. Do you want a dog that will hunt (and chase) everything ...and step in every trap you have (or worse stick it's head in a conibear) or do you want one more timid that's just a buddy? I've had both and prefer the later. I'm tired of a dog that will jump through the half open truck window to tear apart anything in the trap. I prefer my half afraid terrier that won't cause me issues and waste my time taking it to the vet all the time.

And dogs are always better after they've stepped in a coyote trap or two.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Trapline dog - 02/28/20 11:06 AM

I've got a little mountain feist, great house dog and loves outdoors. Great fit for our family all around.
I run most mornings with the dog...and he will go 7 or 8 miles and still has plenty of energy. Loves to chase coons and squirrels, loves to tree them especially coons.
He was a rescue dog out of oklahoma. Really had a tough start to life from what we were told and he was super skittish when we got him. But lots of love and patience, and head been awesome
House and kennel trained, microchipped, very smart and responded well to training and treats. I can honestly say from time we got him when he was about a year old to now, have NEVER had an accident in the house with him, and great manners.
Hes not a fan of coons, foxes, etc and when I run in early mornings when we see one it is game on! He will bawl like a coon hound and do everything in his power to chase them and tree them if coons. He was built for it you can tell.
Indoors he can shut down and be a real couch potato too. Loves to sit on our laps late at night to watch TV.
Great nose, big ears, great eyesight. Really built for hunting. Thing can go 40 mph I bet with his nose 1 inch off the ground working a trail. Really fun dog to have around.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Trapline dog - 02/28/20 11:47 AM

Jab those feists are cool little guys.

Re: Trapline dog - 02/28/20 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Dillon Benda
Crazytrapper does that dog tree coons or were they all trapped?

The ones in the pic were all trapped. She does tree, but she trails silent and catches some before they can get up a tree. She has a shrill chop when she trees. She likes it when we call den trees. Sits by me until they hit the ground after the shot. She has caught several runners that bailed out of the tree on us. I am working on her to stay until I send her after the shot, even if they hit the ground. Hunting waterfowl is helping that. She knows she is not permitted to retrieve waterfowl, until I send her on them. There is something about fur though that tempts her to break on the shot. I have been shooting the coons in the trap and making her wait before I let her give them a shake, and that is helping. She doesn't wait ever time though. If we have a mean boar that is lunging at us, she cant wait to grab him immediately after I shoot. It is my fault that she breaks after the shot on coons because last year when she was a pup she was not aggressive enough so I was not making her wait after I shot animals in the trap. I was just happy if she would grab them at all. Now after this season, she is a little over aggressive and I am going to have try to make her back off a little. She is coming along well though. She would be much better if I trapped like I did back in the 80s.
Posted By: MJM

Re: Trapline dog - 02/28/20 02:19 PM

From what I have seen about any dog will be happy to ride along. I feel if you take any dog enough it will get to where it is doing what you want most the time, unless it is smarter than you are. I ran a jagd terrier for years trapping and hunting. He was born the 30th of August and when I got him he was 5 1/2 weeks old. I started taking him as a pup. He was less than 8 weeks when I shot the first birds with him along. He found the first downed bird I couldn't find at 9 weeks. It makes for a short hunt with a pup that young, but they don't learn when you leave them at home. At first ice in November we were trapping muskrats. At seven months he caught his first mink. Before he was one he had ran past 1000's of traps. I was working a contract and ran up to 250 of conibear boxes and he ran past them every day checking them. The fall he turned one we shot 117 birds over him. By the time he was two he had more hunting and trapping experience than most dogs get in a life time. If you want a good dog, you have to use it. A dog that is locked up full time and taken out for an hour will never be what it could. You can't trap for a week and have a good dog unless you just want it to ride in the PU. He is 14 years old now, but still hunts.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Trapline dog - 02/28/20 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Marten Ted
My Airedale/Lab, she is a great dog all around. She had never ceased to amaze me. Sweet, smart , listens good, and tough as nails. She once found the only coyote that has ever pumped a stake out on me and tracked it at least half a mile just by scent, and kept it from going anywhere till I could get to it.[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Now that is one good looking dog! I always wondered what an airedal/lab would look like. Bet that dog will do it all.

Re: Trapline dog - 02/28/20 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Marten Ted
[Linked Image]

Now that is one good looking dog! I always wondered what an airedal/lab would look like. Bet that dog will do it all.
Originally Posted by jabNE
I've got a little mountain feist, great house dog and loves outdoors. Great fit for our family all around.
I run most mornings with the dog...and he will go 7 or 8 miles and still has plenty of energy. Loves to chase coons and squirrels, loves to tree them especially coons.
He was a rescue dog out of oklahoma. Really had a tough start to life from what we were told and he was super skittish when we got him. But lots of love and patience, and head been awesome
House and kennel trained, microchipped, very smart and responded well to training and treats. I can honestly say from time we got him when he was about a year old to now, have NEVER had an accident in the house with him, and great manners.
Hes not a fan of coons, foxes, etc and when I run in early mornings when we see one it is game on! He will bawl like a coon hound and do everything in his power to chase them and tree them if coons. He was built for it you can tell.
Indoors he can shut down and be a real couch potato too. Loves to sit on our laps late at night to watch TV.
Great nose, big ears, great eyesight. Really built for hunting. Thing can go 40 mph I bet with his nose 1 inch off the ground working a trail. Really fun dog to have around.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Any dog that can keep up with Jim on his morning run is a superstar! Lol
Posted By: Okiecntry

Re: Trapline dog - 02/28/20 02:48 PM

Check out the classified section for Squirrel Dog Central. A lot of feist, cur, and terrier pups for sale. Most are reasonably priced and if you keep an eye out for crosses they are usually even cheaper. A lot of them are probably a little high strung for family and/or trapline dogs but I'm sure if you inquired you can find one that will double as a family dog. I really like the looks of the mountain feist.
Posted By: Okiecntry

Re: Trapline dog - 02/28/20 02:50 PM

Seems like everyone wants to cross everything with poodles now days. Maybe a mountain feist x poodle = Mountain Poo would make a good one. LOL

Re: Trapline dog - 02/28/20 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Okiecntry
Seems like everyone wants to cross everything with poodles now days. Maybe a mountain feist x poodle = Mountain Poo would make a good one. LOL

Or Poo Feist.....
Posted By: Kevin Stake

Re: Trapline dog - 02/28/20 08:35 PM

Here is a brother to crazytrapper’s . Best dog I ever had. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Trapline dog - 02/28/20 09:04 PM

Good looking dog kevin, i love the in action pics. cool

Re: Trapline dog - 02/28/20 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Stake
Here is a brother to crazytrapper’s . Best dog I ever had. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

He looks awesome.. Love the pic where he is jumping! These pups are definitely quick!
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Trapline dog - 02/28/20 11:02 PM

Any dog that's been taught good obedience and will sit, stay and come right away each time a command is given will make a good trapline dog as well as a good companion. My dogs all live in the house and are all taught to be "gentlemen" in addition to the basic commands. No jumping up on people, no rushing out the door or down the stairs in front of humans, no begging at the table...

It makes them much nicer to live and travel with.

Re: Trapline dog - 02/28/20 11:03 PM

I like labs.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

They hunt too.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Trapline dog - 02/28/20 11:54 PM

You guys looking for an air jagd talk to Tony.F on here he is talking of making that cross this spring .
Posted By: PSPH17

Re: Trapline dog - 02/29/20 01:49 AM

Only thing that worries me about getting a trapline dog is down here in Ga are dealing with snakes. I would love to have a dog out on the line but I see snakes all year long. Anybody have any experience with this ??

Re: Trapline dog - 02/29/20 02:41 AM

We have rattlesnakes and copperheads here in PA but they are usually hibernating by the time trapping and fall hunting seasons begin. Porcupines are a bigger problem to me. Three labs in a row now have been nailed in encounters with them.

Re: Trapline dog - 02/29/20 01:38 PM

Terriers love porcupines
[Linked Image]

Re: Trapline dog - 02/29/20 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Lugnut
We have rattlesnakes and copperheads here in PA but they are usually hibernating by the time trapping and fall hunting seasons begin. Porcupines are a bigger problem to me. Three labs in a row now have been nailed in encounters with them.

yep.

Re: Trapline dog - 02/29/20 01:40 PM

Terriers love porcupines
[Linked Image]

i have to say you have my favorite name on here.

Re: Trapline dog - 02/29/20 01:40 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Trapline dog - 02/29/20 01:42 PM

dang dude

Re: Trapline dog - 02/29/20 02:17 PM

My son-on-law getting ready to pull some quills out of Boomer. PCR had stopped to talk to us in the parking lot of a local game lands. I told the dog to heel and he did but we must have been jawing too long because he eventually wandered off. When I called him back he had about twenty quills in his front paw and right hip.

We figure he must have found a dead one? My other two labs had full face/tail slap encounters. One had over 100 quills in him. They both went to local vets.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Machias

Re: Trapline dog - 03/01/20 03:36 AM

I hate porkies!!!!
Posted By: Wild_Idaho

Re: Trapline dog - 03/01/20 04:16 AM

I have a German Shorthair and an English setter. Both are good trap line dogs as well as bird dogs.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
© 2024 Trapperman Forums