Home

6 x 10 Enclosed Trailer

Posted By: GROUSEWIT

6 x 10 Enclosed Trailer - 03/12/20 12:05 PM

Looking for my first 6'x10' enclosed trailer for hauling my trapping gear(atv, traps, tent camp, etc). Have looked at reviews for Pace American, Look, Homesteader, Haulmark, Nexhaul, etc.. Scary. Any of u guys have a lot of experience with different brands?
Posted By: keets

Re: 6 x 10 Enclosed Trailer - 03/12/20 12:11 PM

you'll want a bigger trailer. lol

7x16
Posted By: keets

Re: 6 x 10 Enclosed Trailer - 03/12/20 12:12 PM

stealth brand is good...I have MTI, they're cheap

Re: 6 x 10 Enclosed Trailer - 03/12/20 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by keets

7x16

When 2 of us went together for 2 month a 7x12 was more than enough.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: 6 x 10 Enclosed Trailer - 03/12/20 12:22 PM

my two pieces of advice are

you want one you can stand up in , hunched over loading a trailer is no fun

if the jack on the front hangs lower than the bottom of your ball by very much at all change it , it tears up the cross bar it is mounted on of you hit going in and out of drives ways and gas stations much easier to carry a block of wood or something to place under the jack than to have it sticking down all the time
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: 6 x 10 Enclosed Trailer - 03/12/20 12:26 PM

Been some years back I dragged a Pace American around some with diver gear in it. Think it was 16ft don't recall how wide. Not sure how they are built now days but I like that one fine.

Mac
Posted By: Getting There

Re: 6 x 10 Enclosed Trailer - 03/12/20 12:30 PM

Double axel.
Posted By: Cragar

Re: 6 x 10 Enclosed Trailer - 03/12/20 12:30 PM

I wish I knew who makes the ones for Uhaul. They are built to last and last. I'd be willing to pay quite a bit more for something that would last that long.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: 6 x 10 Enclosed Trailer - 03/12/20 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by GROUSEWIT
Originally Posted by keets

7x16

When 2 of us went together for 2 month a 7x12 was more than enough.

Well even that would be better.7 x 12 ... And the comment about standing up is truth!!!
Posted By: rudydog

Re: 6 x 10 Enclosed Trailer - 03/12/20 01:19 PM

Uhaul Makes there own.
I have owned several have found that Featherlite to be the best constructed trailer i could find. Compare them to any and i think you'll agree.
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: 6 x 10 Enclosed Trailer - 03/12/20 01:36 PM

I've got a 7x 14' Pace American trailer with the fold down real door this one was built to haul motorcycles the weight limit for the rear doors weight limit is 2,000 lbs .
It tows well and I like the side walk through door I'd like to find a mid size Honda generator to mount on the hitch just because then insulate it and add side windows and a air conditioner / heater unit to it and a ladder / pipe rack to the roof .

There's some more food for thought for you .
Posted By: Rockfarmer

Re: 6 x 10 Enclosed Trailer - 03/12/20 01:43 PM

Get the ramp rear door instead of barn doors. saves climbing in and out each time. Your knees will appreciate it.
Posted By: Tommie

Re: 6 x 10 Enclosed Trailer - 03/12/20 02:09 PM

Wish you lived closer, my son has a 7x12 with a ramp (I think that is what it is ) for sale . That what he used to haul all his goose decoys.

Re: 6 x 10 Enclosed Trailer - 03/12/20 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Rockfarmer
Get the ramp rear door instead of barn doors. saves climbing in and out each time. Your knees will appreciate it.

Thanks also makes gettin atv in a lot simpler.

Thanks for all the great tips!

Re: 6 x 10 Enclosed Trailer - 03/12/20 02:44 PM

maybe 2 more pieces of advice , single axle run out of weight very fast and buddy bearings easy to keep the grease in , just give it a few pumps with the grease gun.

Re: 6 x 10 Enclosed Trailer - 03/12/20 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
buddy bearings easy to keep the grease in , just give it a few pumps with the grease gun.

Very good idea on any trailer. Common cause of break down. Axle bearings are neglected on a lot of trailers. I have them on my boat trailers.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: 6 x 10 Enclosed Trailer - 03/12/20 04:07 PM

if the jack on the front hangs lower than the bottom of your ball by very much at all change it , it tears up the cross bar it is mounted on of you hit going in and out of drives ways and gas stations much easier to carry a block of wood or something to place under the jack than to have it sticking down all the time

I have a "Swing Up" jack on mine, crank the wheel up a bit to take the load off, pull a lever and the whole thing swings up against the tongue.
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: 6 x 10 Enclosed Trailer - 03/12/20 04:37 PM

I have a 6x12 with a single 5,000 pound axle and enough height to load a side x side in. Depending on what you are going to haul you may want to look into a heavier axle. After tax, registration and a spare tire I think it was $4,000 back in 2017. I can look up the brand if your interested.
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: 6 x 10 Enclosed Trailer - 03/12/20 05:08 PM

My Pace American trailer has two axles also and bearing buddies are your best friend, out here many folks I know have a extra hub and bearings all ready just in case since it can be a long distance to the next town for repair parts.
A good floor Jack is valuable to !
Allan

Re: 6 x 10 Enclosed Trailer - 03/12/20 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Allan Minear
My Pace American trailer has two axles also and bearing buddies are your best friend, out here many folks I know have a extra hub and bearings all ready just in case since it can be a long distance to the next town for repair parts.
A good floor Jack is valuable to !
Allan

Spare hub and bearings is a good idea. Having a spare tire is a must if yours doesn't come with one. They make spare tire brackets to mount on the trailer tongue too , have them on my boat trailers. Parts like a trailer tire or bearings/hub can be hard to find in some places.

Re: 6 x 10 Enclosed Trailer - 03/12/20 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by BigBob

I have a "Swing Up" jack on mine, crank the wheel up a bit to take the load off, pull a lever and the whole thing swings up against the tongue.

my utility trailer had a crank up welded in the A frame , when it failed and had bent and broke welds I had it cut out and had a swing up welded on and no longer have the issue.

the 4-H trailer had the same issue but a touch more clearance and was a bolt on I have it with a set of spacers I made to get it high enough to not hit.
luckily it didn't break any welds .

one thing I found is most Jacks have no good way to grease them , I drilled a hole and used a press in zert fitting about a half inch from the top of the tube this seems to be working well to keep the jack from freezing up inside . a few dimes worth of grease can save a lot of money in time and replacement later.
Posted By: ol' dad

Re: 6 x 10 Enclosed Trailer - 03/12/20 05:52 PM

One thing to remember about a single axle trailer is the ability to turn it around by hand on a narrow road should you get yourself into a bind. Difficult to do with a dual axle.

ol' dad

Re: 6 x 10 Enclosed Trailer - 03/12/20 05:52 PM

Spare tire, bottle jack, grease fittings on axle bearings and jack should be required. Spare hub and bearing sound like good idea too. Like the swing up jack idea too.

Re: 6 x 10 Enclosed Trailer - 03/12/20 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by ol' dad
One thing to remember about a single axle trailer is the ability to turn it around by hand on a narrow road should you get yourself into a bind. Difficult to do with a dual axle.

ol' dad

Like this tip!
Posted By: 20scout

Re: 6 x 10 Enclosed Trailer - 03/12/20 06:02 PM

I was looking for something similar and ended up buying a used Ice Castle fish house/toy hauler. It wasn't much more than an enclose trailer and I can camp in it year round. It's deprecated enough that I can sell it in a few years if I want and get most of my money back. Another addition is since it's 12', I can get a life time license on it so no buying tabs for it every year.
Posted By: Hanger

Re: 6 x 10 Enclosed Trailer - 03/12/20 06:09 PM

Tandem and get Dexter axles if your ganna be hauling weight
© 2024 Trapperman Forums