Home

Gamo air rifles

Posted By: jbyrd63

Gamo air rifles - 03/15/20 02:25 AM

Bought me a gamo whisper cat in Dec. Lined it up and was trying to eliminate some pest. First couple shots hit. Then few misses. Thought dang . So put it back on paper and it was slinging pellets awful. Called Gamo and the lady immediately said they have a 2-3 hundred shot break in on the barrel. Very nice and sent me 3 tins of pellets. Almost thru all the tins but now about every 5th shot is a flyer. She told me to contact them after the 3 tins and if it is still doing it they would replace it. Any one ever had this issue???
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Gamo air rifles - 03/15/20 02:34 AM

I have a different Gamo. I have heard on some of the air rifle forums , they are having some problems with the seal right at the breech. Not all Gamos , just some. Usually after moderate use , 300-500+ pellet usage break down occurs.
No problems with mine yet , but I don't think I have passed the 300+ pellet usage yet.

Check some air gun forums to see if there is any help there. And if you see anything interesting , I'd like to know too.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Gamo air rifles - 03/15/20 03:41 AM

Don’t know what model Gamo I have.....but I can hit a bottle cap at 36 feet....inside my garage ,all day long....lol...with open sights,offhand.
Posted By: webfootwhacker

Re: Gamo air rifles - 03/15/20 04:01 AM

My whisper cat is garbage too. Very disappointed.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Gamo air rifles - 03/15/20 04:50 AM

I have had a couple of Gamo air rifles in the past and they are literally hit and miss. Their QC sucks I gave them away
Posted By: AKAjust

Re: Gamo air rifles - 03/15/20 05:42 AM

I thought it was just me. I have one and trying to zero a scope is nearly impossible. I thought it was the scope for awhile and tried another gamo scope with the same results. I'm glad you posted this. Makes me feel I'm not just a really bad shot.
just
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: Gamo air rifles - 03/15/20 09:46 AM

Shoulda got a Benjamin
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Gamo air rifles - 03/15/20 10:38 AM

I don't have a Gamo, but I have found after break in, many air guns can be as picky as a .22LR with ammo for minute of squirrel head accuracy. Try a few different types and weight, some of the non lead ammo just sucks.
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: Gamo air rifles - 03/15/20 12:23 PM

Yes bought a gamo, tried it a few different times. Junk
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Gamo air rifles - 03/15/20 12:29 PM

I sight in a lot of guns for guys I work with due to having a 500 yard range at home. I was asked to sight a game pellet gun because some times it would break the sound barrier and my friend had housed all the way around him.

It would group around 1.75-2". More of a pattern than a group. I went an bought 3 other types of pellets they were about the same. I told him I was not happy with it when I gave it back.

My Sheridan blue streak in.20cal with 8 pumps would stack shots with holes touching and hard to tell how many shots were fired through groups were so tight. It needs new seals now has for years but any new pellet gun that wont match that I wont be happy

Re: Gamo air rifles - 03/15/20 01:56 PM

One thing about springer air rifles that some folks don't know is that they are " hold sensitive" that means you have to hold them the same way each and every time you pull the trigger. Because obviously the piston starts moving the spring is expanding before the pellet even starts moving in the barrel. They have 2 opposing "recoils " so the whole gun is moving in your hands before the pellet makes it to the muzzle. I found that just laying the forend on my palm worked best for accuracy and just let the rifle move as it wants to. Its tough to actually hold it consistently in exactly the same way when gripping the forend. Regardless of that, Gamo rifles are still junk
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Gamo air rifles - 03/15/20 02:39 PM

If you're a stickler for repeatable accuracy, stay away from the Chinese, Spain made airguns. You may get a half decent shooter but more than likely it won't. Stick with the German or England made springers, they'll likely outlast us. I've got 5-6 Diana 34s in .177, 22. A couple of weirauch 95 s . I squirrel hunt with all of them. Easy to work on if you ever need to replace a spring or seal. Bout all that can go wrong with them. Good luck.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Gamo air rifles - 03/15/20 03:50 PM

I thought it was the junk scope, or maybe the spring system, my old one shoots better
Posted By: HayDay

Re: Gamo air rifles - 03/15/20 04:18 PM

Almost all the cheap high powered springers sold in discount / box stores are going to be junk. Best use for one would be dispatching trapped animals at point blank range. But I got .22 options for that.

I've got a couple Beeman's one an R7 that will almost put 5 shots through the same hole at 10 meters. When using it on starlings, I always went for the head.......if they would hold still that long. The other is a Beeman hw77, which will put a .177 pellet through a 3/4" pine board.....and reliably hit bottle caps at 50 yards. Both of those are German made guns. Both get best accuracy from very specific pellets. Once you get the pellet right, a gun shooting random patterns settles down to a tight group. A similar quality gun is the Air Arms TX200.....which is English made I think.

Air rifles.....good ones anyway, are fun to shoot and a cheap way to stay sharp.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Gamo air rifles - 03/15/20 06:32 PM

I have one and I think mine also is about every 5th or so shot is a flyer but the others are dead nuts. Mine works well for pests. I just don't know if I can shoot as well as the gun does. grin
Posted By: garymc

Re: Gamo air rifles - 03/15/20 08:14 PM

I have a five or so year old Gamo Whisper and it is very hold sensitive. I finally gave up on mine. I built a pellet trap and shot in my garage all winter a few years ago and it lacked consistency from session to session.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Gamo air rifles - 03/15/20 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by garymc
I have a five or so year old Gamo Whisper and it is very hold sensitive. I finally gave up on mine. I built a pellet trap and shot in my garage all winter a few years ago and it lacked consistency from session to session.

Yes I get mine driving tacks 25 yards(distance to my building) and put it up. May hit 2-3 targets when they present themselves then miss 5 in a row. This is over 4-5 days. Put it back on paper and it may be 3 in high or to the right. Line it back in and repeat. Its like if it sits for a few days it no longer shoots where it hit last time I used it.

Re: Gamo air rifles - 03/15/20 10:20 PM

Try just resting it on the open palm of your hand. Don't get a grip on the foreend
Posted By: Owen156

Re: Gamo air rifles - 03/15/20 10:26 PM

Yep, mine is all over the place also. I can sight it in for a given distance and lucky to hit anything inbetween that distance. When I was a kid I had a Sheridan .22 pellet rifle and it was very accurate with open sights, never had a scope. The only way mine will shoot even remotely accurate is with the forearm laying in the palm of my hand. Any hand grip and you have no idea where it will hit. I guess I will use it for a prybar because I can throw rocks more accurately.
Posted By: midlander

Re: Gamo air rifles - 03/15/20 10:52 PM

Ive had good luck with a Beeman...dont know the model, but it was bad medicine on chipmunks....fun to shoot
Posted By: MJM

Re: Gamo air rifles - 03/16/20 12:09 AM

I have a Gamo that is .22 springer. I got it from Midway. It seems like maybe it was called a Predator. It came with a scope and I ordered a bunch of pellets when I got it. I took it out and the trigger was so bad there was no way it could shoot well. I went on you tube and found how to add a RC axle bearing to the trigger and that was what it needed. You don't put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to shoot and when you think about squeezing the trigger it goes off. The bearing was $8 shipped. I have never shot paper with it much, but have shot 100's of pigeons with it. For what it cost, I am happy with it. I have had it two or three years now.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Gamo air rifles - 03/16/20 12:53 AM

Beeman are a good springer, made by weirauch and marketed under the Beeman name. Like rws, made by Diana. The quality of the rifling in the German made guns are far better.
Another thing that affects accuracy in springers is it needs lube in the piston ,spring area. To little, it won't last long, to much and the firing cycle will be smooth but cold and warm temps will affect the shot strings as the grease gets stiffer or less. Some guns are pellet picky and you have to try different sizes till you find one that does well.
Believe me when I say, its a never ending rabbit hole once you get hooked,,,,so I've heard....
Posted By: eric space

Re: Gamo air rifles - 03/16/20 02:41 AM

I have one that will not hit the side of a barn from within it. I use it only to kill coons in cage traps now, for that it works well.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums