Home

How about beagles

Posted By: brianmall

How about beagles - 03/16/20 01:48 AM

Anyone wanna talk runing rabbit?

Pookie Dot this year Derby just took a 3rd place MAB
[Linked Image]

Getting two female pups outta and Oakhill cross (CANT WAIT!)
[Linked Image]

Little nibbles still lickin boots! Can clear out an entire room! sick
[Linked Image]
Posted By: warrior

Re: How about beagles - 03/16/20 01:49 AM

Dad ran beagles, I miss a good rabbit chase.

Re: How about beagles - 03/16/20 01:58 AM

Yes

Love the race!

Re: How about beagles - 03/16/20 02:01 AM

Working on getting each of my children a Derby for next year.

Because I'm getting tired of racing club dogs! Don't matter how good your dog is not how bad the club dog is! You've lost before you ever showed up!! Most of the time anyway.

So I figure I'll just get each of a dog that is same class and just run against each other!?

Re: How about beagles - 03/16/20 02:04 AM

Lol

Last trial dog that beat pookie literally left the track to go back to club house, was carried back, then licked boots the remainder of race! They called end of series and broke for lunch. They disqualified my dog.

I'm still trying to figure how! At the very least mine kept hunting while the other one quit to go pick boots!

Club dog!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Mwhite1978

Re: How about beagles - 03/16/20 02:05 AM

Some fine looking hounds love the dark ones. I use to have some good beagles lost the best dog I ever had about 8 years ago haven't had any since. I sure miss listening to a pack running a rabbit.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: How about beagles - 03/16/20 02:30 AM

A useless Beagler!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: How about beagles - 03/16/20 03:34 AM

My best rabbit dog I got as a puppy when I was 14. She was a boot licker wouldn't open up on trail more than a bay or two and would not track much more than 50 yards before coming back for a few years. I was a jump shooter and she was my dog so I always took her anyway.

One day she opend up and ran over a hill into the spoil banks. She balled tell she was out of ear shot. I was getting scared after 10 to 15 min of not hearing her. Then I heard her coming back. It took a while and I was still worried but she got closer I was relieved. Suddenly about 50 yards out ther was a rabbit shooting across. I was shocked and missed the first two shots rolled it on the 3rd. A short tim later another was blazing down the same trail. I didn reload and missed my final shot out of my Remington lw20 870. I walked to the rabbit I hit hung it in a tree and stood back. My girl came right down the track and ran that remaining rabbit for a long time tell it went into a hole.

After that she was a rabbit running machine. She never ran a deer, but would not check up or run with other dogs. She was to slow for trials. She would tree squirrels due to me shooting a few out over top of her and she would get excited and flush quail. Those things I liked.

I hunted her for years. We moved and didn't have our pens set up yet so she stayed at my in laws tell I got set up. She got out and was running a rabbit when she was hit by a car. I will never get another rabbit dog that could measure up even if it was a better rabbit dog. I love watching dogs work but don't believe I will ever have any again due to lack of time. I'm busy deer and squirrel hunting from Oct- jan 5 and in trapping and I have no time to run a dog. Season is out at the end of February so it's not worth keeping a dog for a month of hunting. It's not fair to the dog to not bee ran 9 months of the year and if not ran hard would not be worth hunting over anyway.
Now I just need a friend or two with good dogs so my boys can experience the joy of hunting with hounds.
Posted By: minklessinpa

Re: How about beagles - 03/16/20 04:49 AM

[Linked Image]
my new foreman checking my work on a fur tumbler.
Posted By: Cooncreek II

Re: How about beagles - 03/16/20 06:19 AM

I ran beagles for years, nothing better than a pack of around 5 to lite up the woods. What type of dog do you run? We ran some AKC and ARHA trials for awhile and had a blast.
One rule we had when hunting was no jump shooting, rabbit had to circle at least once before you could take a shot. Probably the best all around dog I had was a 13" bluetick from
Canada, medium speed hunt hard and refused to run trash, sure miss that ole gal!
Posted By: Broomchaser

Re: How about beagles - 03/16/20 10:46 AM

Love those blueticks. The wife brought a pair home last year. I think their blue ticks came from a grandparent coon hound as one weighs 45# and his brother weighs 35#. They will be a year old in a few weeks and they run rabbits well for picking it up on their own.
Posted By: skippyturtle

Re: How about beagles - 03/16/20 12:25 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: pcr2

Re: How about beagles - 03/16/20 12:27 PM

grew up with em.nothing will stop me in my tracks to stop and enjoy the sounds like a beagle behind a rabbit.

Re: How about beagles - 03/16/20 12:27 PM

here are their pups. 4 weeks old last sat
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: How about beagles - 03/16/20 12:34 PM

Congrats on your beagle placing.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: How about beagles - 03/16/20 12:42 PM

Great seeing and hearing story's about hunting with Beagles. Brings back some fond memory's .
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: How about beagles - 03/16/20 12:45 PM

Love hearing beagles running rabbits.

Re: How about beagles - 03/16/20 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by skippyturtle
[Linked Image]

Love them lemon spots. Dad's was mostly lemon spots.

Re: How about beagles - 03/16/20 01:14 PM

The best all around hound I ever hunted behind was my brothers 16" big beagle. Dad had two lines small, including some 8", rabbit dogs and the big beagle deer dogs.

My brothers dog, Smokey Joe, was as good a cold nosed pick it up where it walked yesterday to jump it out of its bed jump dog as I've ever seen. When paired with his head up run to catch daughter Restless no deer was safe. You had to shoot the deer or get between the dogs and the deer with a net. They were deadly once locked on a trail. They got left in the woods many times.
Old Smoke was also a half way decent squirrel dog as well running the squirrel to the tree and following a timber in one until we caught up with him. He wouldn't lock down though as soon as we arrived at the tree he would be off to get another one. He also had the sense to know what we were after as well since we went south for deer and squirrel hunted around the house where we didn't have any deer.
Never saw him run a rabbit but he would booger bark if he jumped one while working out a deer or squirrel.

His mother, my dog Belle, was the same way though not as good a nose.

Re: How about beagles - 03/16/20 01:18 PM

I'd love to find some of the old 8" beagles, not the modern teacup mutts. We had one old female that was an incorrigible trash runner so we threw her in with the big beagles. It was the funniest thing to have the big dogs blow past with Queenie giving it all she had to keep up.

Those small dogs could get into the nastiest of brush piles and briar patches.

Re: How about beagles - 03/16/20 02:59 PM

Post missing, this tread started out on the subject of field trialing beagles. There was a comment made about being beat even before you got to the trial and was going to get the kids a couple beagle and compete against them..
I see the post is missing. I wanted the person to explain his comments about being beat before he got there.
Posted By: jhh

Re: How about beagles - 03/16/20 03:45 PM

Same reason I don't in trials, politics. Seems if you ain't in the click your dog isn't going to win. Another thing is I've noticed trial dogs need the rabbit jumped for them, not all , but enough I wouldn't have them .

I've got 4 with one being too old and hard of hearing to hunt anymore. Another is 11 this year and is losing her step. She can still go but just can't hunt as hard as she use to. Then my 2 young blueticks that are balls of fires. Basically Mo. Gunsmoke bred dogs. Great grand dad was Talk About Blue Jasper.
Right now is some of the best running of the year. Cover is down and them buck rabbits will give you some loooong runs.

Re: How about beagles - 03/16/20 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm
My best rabbit dog I got as a puppy when I was 14. She was a boot licker wouldn't open up on trail more than a bay or two and would not track much more than 50 yards before coming back for a few years. I was a jump shooter and she was my dog so I always took her anyway.

One day she opend up and ran over a hill into the spoil banks. She balled tell she was out of ear shot. I was getting scared after 10 to 15 min of not hearing her. Then I heard her coming back. It took a while and I was still worried but she got closer I was relieved. Suddenly about 50 yards out ther was a rabbit shooting across. I was shocked and missed the first two shots rolled it on the 3rd. A short tim later another was blazing down the same trail. I didn reload and missed my final shot out of my Remington lw20 870. I walked to the rabbit I hit hung it in a tree and stood back. My girl came right down the track and ran that remaining rabbit for a long time tell it went into a hole.

After that she was a rabbit running machine. She never ran a deer, but would not check up or run with other dogs. She was to slow for trials. She would tree squirrels due to me shooting a few out over top of her and she would get excited and flush quail. Those things I liked.

I hunted her for years. We moved and didn't have our pens set up yet so she stayed at my in laws tell I got set up. She got out and was running a rabbit when she was hit by a car. I will never get another rabbit dog that could measure up even if it was a better rabbit dog. I love watching dogs work but don't believe I will ever have any again due to lack of time. I'm busy deer and squirrel hunting from Oct- jan 5 and in trapping and I have no time to run a dog. Season is out at the end of February so it's not worth keeping a dog for a month of hunting. It's not fair to the dog to not bee ran 9 months of the year and if not ran hard would not be worth hunting over anyway.
Now I just need a friend or two with good dogs so my boys can experience the joy of hunting with hounds.

How close are you to misinawa resivoir?

Re: How about beagles - 03/16/20 05:07 PM

[Linked Image]

Where you get those lemons?

Pedigree? Weir Creek?

Re: How about beagles - 03/16/20 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Munderf
I ran beagles for years, nothing better than a pack of around 5 to lite up the woods. What type of dog do you run? We ran some AKC and ARHA trials for awhile and had a blast.
One rule we had when hunting was no jump shooting, rabbit had to circle at least once before you could take a shot. Probably the best all around dog I had was a 13" bluetick from
Canada, medium speed hunt hard and refused to run trash, sure miss that ole gal!

These three are all hard copy.

Two pups I have on order are Oakhill.

All AKC
MAB, UBGF

Re: How about beagles - 03/16/20 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by jhh
Same reason I don't in trials, politics. Seems if you ain't in the click your dog isn't going to win. Another thing is I've noticed trial dogs need the rabbit jumped for them, not all , but enough I wouldn't have them .

I've got 4 with one being too old and hard of hearing to hunt anymore. Another is 11 this year and is losing her step. She can still go but just can't hunt as hard as she use to. Then my 2 young blueticks that are balls of fires. Basically Mo. Gunsmoke bred dogs. Great grand dad was Talk About Blue Jasper.
Right now is some of the best running of the year. Cover is down and them buck rabbits will give you some loooong runs.

These hunt and jump.

Not every trial is bad politically. The one I seem to do the worst at are the ones where club members have dogs in it. Some clubs are worse than others!

Re: How about beagles - 03/16/20 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by jhh

That sucks! There are some great dog out there. There are a lot of click out there, they are not the real winners. JMO

Re: How about beagles - 03/16/20 05:15 PM

But im Pretty new to it all! About 4 years or so!?

But I've learned real quick that you have to take notes on who is judging and who has dogs in event!

Re: How about beagles - 03/16/20 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Getting There
Originally Posted by jhh

That sucks! There are some great dog out there. There are a lot of click out there, they are not the real winners. JMO

No!

Last dog that beat mine literally quit hunt and went back to club house!

But it's still fun!

My plan is to overwhelm them with dogs in same class! I won't run multiple classes anymore! All small females from this point on! 6 entries every time! Let's see that boot licker win now.

wink
Posted By: BigBob

Re: How about beagles - 03/16/20 10:03 PM

Good looking dog's Brian, and everyone!
Posted By: cablejohn

Re: How about beagles - 03/16/20 11:07 PM

I currently have six. One is a little old and fat but I can't leave her home. All ARHA. I haven't shot more than a handful of rabbits in years. I just love to hear them run! Wasn't too much fun when they were all skunk sprayed two weeks ago!
Posted By: Jonesie

Re: How about beagles - 03/17/20 12:51 AM

I have run some really good hounds and I have run some not so good. I have an ok hound now, but thinking of getting a good one also, to get my grandson hearing the music.

Re: How about beagles - 03/18/20 10:13 AM

My small male turned it on for the 1st time yesterday. Jumped and ran a full lap and a half before it went to ground. I was actually kinda impressed with his spreed.

7 months old

Posted By: pcr2

Re: How about beagles - 03/18/20 10:29 AM

gettum Brian,love the post
Posted By: Bud Mackes

Re: How about beagles - 03/18/20 11:14 AM

Awesome Post! Love hearing beagles run. All my rabbit dogs have gotten old and headed to the big thicket in the sky.

Re: How about beagles - 03/18/20 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by brianmall
[Linked Image]

Where you get those lemons?

Pedigree? Weir Creek?

i have no idea about their lines. bought my female as a pup from a guy over by norwich ohio. he had quite a fewbeagles and at least one a lemon. my male i bought as a pup and never seen his parents just was toldthey was good hunters.

Re: How about beagles - 03/20/20 09:56 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jonesie

Re: How about beagles - 03/23/20 11:56 PM

good vid

Re: How about beagles - 03/31/20 09:18 PM

© 2024 Trapperman Forums