Home

Weed eater Sherlock

Posted By: Scuba1

Weed eater Sherlock - 03/16/20 09:40 PM

Yup thats me. Today I started weed whacking down at the spring. The " spring" so far for me was just a 4 inch plastic pipe sticking out od the ground next to a little trickle of a creek and a very small pond that gets fed by said pipe. In order to make a little room, so I can turn the 4 wheeler with the tank trailer around down there I found a metal cover. Lifted that up and found under it a motor controller for a 1HP 230Volt motor. and a 3 inch pipe with a valve going in a different direction than the pipe at the pond and also some what looked like 4 gauge wires incoming. So Sherlock here carries on cutting and I find 2 concrete lids for the same style and size underground tank that I have up here on to of the hill next to the boat. Hmmmmm Out comes the drone and a couple of flyovers shows that a track had been cut in the past leading up to the top tank. .... There is a float switch in the top tank . I am thinking that my water tank trailer days may be coming to an end Just have to figure out the wiring and put some juice on the show and see what happens. But if this is what I think it is. I have a spring fed 500 gal tank at the creek with a well pump in it and a 500 gal tank on top of the hill connected by a 3 ' pipe and wires leading from the float switch to the pump. I will have to have a real good look at this when I get back from Hilton Head Island( AKA Alcatraz )

Fingers crossed

Michael
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Weed eater Sherlock - 03/16/20 09:43 PM

You're just shot full of luck! Congrats! No mention of this from the seller?
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Weed eater Sherlock - 03/16/20 10:09 PM

Nice find !!!!
Good luck with it.

Re: Weed eater Sherlock - 03/16/20 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by BigBob
You're just shot full of luck! Congrats! No mention of this from the seller?

The seller bought the property to flip it at an auction and never set foot on the place himself. The realtor mentioned a spring but did not know where it was. Finding that initial pipe took some sploring and I literally did that by ear. I'll drag the generator down there tomorrow and just hot wire the pump up and see if the tank at the top here starts filling up. That would save me digging around 600 yards of trench and laying pipe and cable Being a pump etc.

Posted By: BigBob

Re: Weed eater Sherlock - 03/16/20 10:30 PM

If it works out, that's worth a considerable amount of money!

Re: Weed eater Sherlock - 03/16/20 10:32 PM

Finding a water supply during a crisis. Nice. Great score.

Gotta look deeper in the woods , ya might find the mythical TP forest of lore........lol wink

Re: Weed eater Sherlock - 03/16/20 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by BigBob
If it works out, that's worth a considerable amount of money!

Heck ya , improvements like that on a property like that seriously raises the value.

Scuba, don't tell the assessor.......lol

Re: Weed eater Sherlock - 03/16/20 10:53 PM

I ain't planning on selling the place and my property tax is not going to change as I am in the green belt and pay 96 bucks per year for the 39 acres, no matter what. But if this pans out , its a huge saving of work and money.

Re: Weed eater Sherlock - 03/16/20 10:57 PM

Man......your taxes are insanely low.

96 bucks here would cover a parking space sized piece of property.

Mad jealous.......
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Weed eater Sherlock - 03/16/20 11:17 PM

I have a tracer like the phone company uses to trace wires underground and it works great for electrical wires as well. If you can't figure out where the feed was coming from I could send it to you and you could send it back after you find the end.

Re: Weed eater Sherlock - 03/16/20 11:52 PM

Thank you Flipper. I have to go to Hilton He'd Island day after tomorrow to fix some boats for about 5 days. When I come back I'll have a closer snoop around and measure the ends for continuity / resistance of the strands that I have found so far. Then if there are bits missing I may take you up on your kind offer. I have the schematic for the starter and pump still readable on the inside of the housing. So thats a good starting point for further investigations. This thing may open up a whole lot of possibilities in the gardening department as well. Still have to build that barn after I get the tractor fixed and .. and ... and ...... not getting bore quite yet.

Re: Weed eater Sherlock - 03/17/20 04:19 PM

Where I am getting the water from now is actually the overflow of the 500gal tank down there. I suppose it acts like a buffer for times when the spring may not flow as well as it does at the moment. So that if it can't keep up with the pump filling the top tank the pump will not run dry.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Redknot

Re: Weed eater Sherlock - 03/17/20 05:20 PM

If the plumbing and wiring work out, you'll have to find something to do with all your free time!!

Re: Weed eater Sherlock - 03/17/20 07:06 PM

Like fix the head gasket on the tractor, fell trees to cut into lumber for the barn I want to build, cut firewood, sort out a septic system, repair the exhaust manifold leak on my truck , build a saw mill. ???? You mean that sort of thing right ?? And build a house ...... piece of cake lol

Re: Weed eater Sherlock - 03/17/20 07:08 PM

But tomorrow I have to go and work for money for a week in Hilton Head island smirk
Posted By: TurkeyWrangler

Re: Weed eater Sherlock - 03/17/20 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Scuba1
Like fix the head gasket on the tractor, fell trees to cut into lumber for the barn I want to build, cut firewood, sort out a septic system, repair the exhaust manifold leak on my truck , build a saw mill. ???? You mean that sort of thing right ?? And build a house ...... piece of cake lol

You need to record all that and start a YouTube channel. Seriously people eat tat stuff up.

Re: Weed eater Sherlock - 03/17/20 08:47 PM

I am doing this all by myself. Its hard enough to figure out doing all this alone .... I don't think I can do it one handed and hold a camera with the other lol

Re: Weed eater Sherlock - 03/18/20 12:17 AM

I did not get around to bringing the generator down there and hotwire the pump due to rainy weather. I don't like running flying wires when it is pouring down into the boxes I am playing with. So this one will have to wait till I get back from Alcatraz ( Hilton Head Island ) in 5 to 6 days . I am looking forward to it though. Feeling like a kid just before Christmas lol
© 2024 Trapperman Forums