Home

•••Dealing with this time we are in•••

Posted By: amspoker

•••Dealing with this time we are in••• - 03/18/20 01:43 AM

Justified or not, things are getting loopy out there.

Today I saw that my neighbor's son had come home from out of state to come be with his dad. Kind of got to me, as he is a doctor, and don't see much of him.

I thought we might share some tips to help each other out, and get through this mess a little easier.

Hardware stores often carry toilet paper, and cleaning supplies, and other general grocery items.

Organic milk has a much longer expiration date. We picked some up that is good until mid May.

Hope this helps.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: •••Dealing with this time we are in••• - 03/18/20 01:51 AM

2nd Tuesday in May. It'll all be fine.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: •••Dealing with this time we are in••• - 03/18/20 01:52 AM

Read my signature and believe what you read. No worries.....
Posted By: Getting There

Re: •••Dealing with this time we are in••• - 03/18/20 01:53 AM

There are a lot of food item that can be made with flour and yeast. I bet a lot of younger people are talking with mon or grand ma about home cooking.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: •••Dealing with this time we are in••• - 03/18/20 01:53 AM

Turkey season starts this weekend...unfortunately in my job we’ll be working no matter what!! My DIL was told today they’ll be on paid time off for the next month. Man the fun I could have trapping and turkey hunting for a month straight with no job to worry about!
Posted By: BryanOney

Re: •••Dealing with this time we are in••• - 03/18/20 01:59 AM

Hello Levi, I am from north central Ohio. I do not have any specific tips just some general ideas. I remember that a lot of people are way more stressed at this time about coronavirus than I am. Their level of underlying stress/anger is higher than normal. Many people want to vent. I just listen and nod my head. No need to argue with them on pointless things at this time. If I am going to err in my judgement I am going to be patient rather that quick to anger or judge. I am going to be generous rather than selfish with both my money, supplies, and time. Especially so with the elderly. Many old folks are really hunkered down. I am going to take some food and go get groceries and medicines for others. Now is a great time to make an ally if a person is willing to extend a small olive branch. Good Luck to you and yours. Bryan

Re: •••Dealing with this time we are in••• - 03/18/20 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
2nd Tuesday in May. It'll all be fine.

Perhaps.

You have any loved ones with cystic fibrosis?
Posted By: Catch22

Re: •••Dealing with this time we are in••• - 03/18/20 02:19 AM

Not sure if this will help but this is the bread I make. It's super easy to make and only has 4 ingredients. No eggs or milk!

Re: •••Dealing with this time we are in••• - 03/18/20 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by BryanOney
Hello Levi, I am from north central Ohio. I do not have any specific tips just some general ideas. I remember that a lot of people are way more stressed at this time about coronavirus than I am. Their level of underlying stress/anger is higher than normal. Many people want to vent. I just listen and nod my head. No need to argue with them on pointless things at this time. If I am going to err in my judgement I am going to be patient rather that quick to anger or judge. I am going to be generous rather than selfish with both my money, supplies, and time. Especially so with the elderly. Many old folks are really hunkered down. I am going to take some food and go get groceries and medicines for others. Now is a great time to make an ally if a person is willing to extend a small olive branch. Good Luck to you and yours. Bryan

Thanks for your post. Thanks to everyone.

I have had different people come to me for different reasons since this started. Timing was not a coincidence. I just think that if we can help guide each other through this, it might help. I really don't think things are going to get that bad. The fact of the matter is, I feel that I am unqualified to help if there is a crisis, but people are already looking to me for guidance.

Re: •••Dealing with this time we are in••• - 03/18/20 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by Catch22
Not sure if this will help but this is the bread I make. It's super easy to make and only has 4 ingredients. No eggs or milk!

Thanks Catch.

You didn't get that recipe from Jurassic Park did you?

Re: •••Dealing with this time we are in••• - 03/18/20 02:30 AM

Lol, no, this is manly bread. grin I know that there's gonna be some great suggestions and kudos for the thread spoker. Cooking cheap, easy and with few ingredients is what I do a lot lol. SOS.....
Posted By: Bogmaster

Re: •••Dealing with this time we are in••• - 03/18/20 02:55 AM

Only problem--no hamburger in the stores.I hit 7 stores yesterday and all were out of hamburger.My wife and I eat a lot of hamburger,so not being able to get some is frustrating.
Tom
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: •••Dealing with this time we are in••• - 03/18/20 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by Bogmaster
Only problem--no hamburger in the stores.I hit 7 stores yesterday and all were out of hamburger.My wife and I eat a lot of hamburger,so not being able to get some is frustrating.
Tom

You could pick up a grinder and a fresh road killed deer ......seriously
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: •••Dealing with this time we are in••• - 03/18/20 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by amspoker

Thanks Catch.

You didn't get that recipe from Jurassic Park did you?

He didn’t get that recipe from me cause it’s a “no knead” recipe for his old girl hands. Catch is all about easy! Doesn’t have the cardio to make 32 crepes!

Re: •••Dealing with this time we are in••• - 03/18/20 03:32 AM

Got my castor grinder,but no dead deer.Road kills in my area are scarce.
Tom
Posted By: nramemb

Re: •••Dealing with this time we are in••• - 03/18/20 04:41 AM

Im gonna try that bread
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: •••Dealing with this time we are in••• - 03/18/20 04:44 AM

perpetual stew

you can use about any meat but venison and beef work well.

day 1 start with a crock pot a pound of venison some potatoes , carrots , and onion fill about 2/3 full cover with water set to high about 8 hours salt and pepper to taste

eat dinner depending how many are eating you may need to refill that first night but when ever you get to about 1/3 left add more meat , potatoes and carrots set to high for about 4 hours let it go to keep warm if your crock pot has that option after that.

you just keep going I have gone as long as a month other than that 4 hours of high after adding the restock you have ready to eat filling food 20 hours a day

about day 3 or 4 it really starts to develop a more complex flavor it is good. , easy and filling

Re: •••Dealing with this time we are in••• - 03/18/20 09:03 AM

Popcorn is a cheap, high fiber food. And the kids like it. Wife puts parmesan cheese on hers.
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: •••Dealing with this time we are in••• - 03/18/20 09:43 AM

Got my castor grinder,but no dead deer.Road kills in my area are scarce.
Tom

Before Michigan turned deer into a disease carrying varmint and uped the fines road killed had a different meaning
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: •••Dealing with this time we are in••• - 03/18/20 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by BryanOney

Excellent point. I always say that you can't win an emotional argument with facts - seems to apply here too. Everyone has their own version of facts. It' usually best to just let them have their facts their way.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: •••Dealing with this time we are in••• - 03/18/20 10:33 AM

beaver trappin is keeping my mind straight.was gonna shut down till i sat around the house Sunday afternoon.i'd be a wreck if i sat and listened to much of that.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: •••Dealing with this time we are in••• - 03/18/20 10:34 AM

Before Michigan turned deer into a disease carrying varmint and uped the fines road killed had a different meaning

Yep. If I was out of meat and none was available to buy, I would go get some

Re: •••Dealing with this time we are in••• - 03/18/20 10:37 AM

we had 13 in the lawn last night and i told the wife we wouldn't go hungry.
Posted By: washxc

Re: •••Dealing with this time we are in••• - 03/18/20 10:47 AM

I'm with you, pcr2. Sitting around and listening to the constant news cycle will make you crazy. Beaver trapping is keeping it level.

Re: •••Dealing with this time we are in••• - 03/18/20 10:51 AM

floated in rain,wind and 40 degree temps yesterday and still think it was better than the warm house with coronagate goin on.sunny and upper 50's for a few days now will be a blast.actually can thank corona for pushing me to do it.
Posted By: mushfoot

Re: •••Dealing with this time we are in••• - 03/18/20 10:57 AM

i have been working in the fur shed getting stuff ready for next season and getting ready for turkey season it keeps my mind off the new flu and all that is going on whit it
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: •••Dealing with this time we are in••• - 03/18/20 11:46 AM

Looks good

Re: •••Dealing with this time we are in••• - 03/18/20 11:51 AM

https://pastorwardclinton.com/2020/...FUJQSgUEIajAB9aMVjaJoRKQxzDArhuCKr44u2sg

Re: •••Dealing with this time we are in••• - 03/18/20 11:52 AM

the hour drive to the river i'm trappin is priceless and peaceful in itself,even caught one here on my walk this mornin-50 pounder to boot -corona what.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: •••Dealing with this time we are in••• - 03/18/20 12:12 PM

Tom

Bog that is crazy 7 stores empty. 6,000 head a day get slaughtered close to me. Loaded cattle trucks roll by all day every day, but in the last two days it has been crazy. Hundreds of trucks heading to the packing house. All day all night. Our highway looks like a Christmas tree it’s so lit up with trucks. That being said we have empty pens at our big Feedyard for the first time in over a year.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: •••Dealing with this time we are in••• - 03/18/20 12:29 PM

Tom, wish I was closer, I'd fix you up with some burger! One of the best tips I've seen was I read an article from Stanford University last night on how to tell if you have kung flu. Simple, all you do is take as deep a breath as you can, hold it for ten seconds. If you cough, you most likly have it. This is pre symptons. Your supposed to do that every morning when you get up. Prolly wouldn't work for a smoker!

Re: •••Dealing with this time we are in••• - 03/18/20 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Pawnee

Tom

Bog that is crazy 7 stores empty. 6,000 head a day get slaughtered close to me. Loaded cattle trucks roll by all day every day, but in the last two days it has been crazy. Hundreds of trucks heading to the packing house. All day all night. Our highway looks like a Christmas tree it’s so lit up with trucks. That being said we have empty pens at our big Feedyard for the first time in over a year.

The US is presently exporting beef at a high level and packers are making a killing.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: •••Dealing with this time we are in••• - 03/18/20 12:42 PM

Maybe the wife will get the Pantry cleaned out. The three freezers also.

Re: •••Dealing with this time we are in••• - 03/18/20 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Pawnee

Tom

That isnt being reflected in the prices, demand for Prime beef is as low as I have seen it, Local markets have prime beef selling for about the same as Holstiens.
Feeder market is in the dumper at the worst time of the year, just as the 8wts. are getting ready for the finnish lots. Backgrounders are taking a bath.
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: •••Dealing with this time we are in••• - 03/18/20 12:50 PM

Tom

Tom As you may or may not know both my kids work for large grocery store.. My son is a meat cutter my daughter is working in the hot bar deli section..
Already last week Friday the stores they work at had a run on them. There are 4 or their company stores here in area. My son works at store to north daughter kind of in center city store.. Anyway my son called me about mid day friday ask could I go let his dog out..he usually gets home around 2-2:30.. this was at 2:30 and he said had no idea when he be able to leave.. People were going nuts or as he said at the time being really stupid.. Anyway they had almost wiped out their meat stock. he said he couldn't keep up grinding burger and putting it in 1lb packs..He is off this week had vacation scheduled already weeks ago.. He got a text yesterday from a co-worker showed their bread isle with nothing from end to end..
My daughter made me little proud right at the start of this thing..She posted out to all her friends on FB. If anyone was unable to come shop for any reason. She would pick up items if she could before leaving work and drop them to folks..I don't know if she has had to do that yet. I know she has some friends that were compromised by cancer...

Anyway is a weird time for sure..having spent over half my life working in emergency services.. I get what they are trying to do with the distancing thing.. Being retire I'm not sure I know how to do it myself having in the past always being out in the fight.
I got a freezer full of stuff lots of jars home canned. I still need to sneak out for some things I don't keep in long supply..simple things like yeast..got some but I usually buy most my bread and rolls.

Mac

Re: •••Dealing with this time we are in••• - 03/18/20 01:51 PM

you can use your yeast now to start a starter culture , then that last pack of yeast can live on for as long as you take care of it.

Re: •••Dealing with this time we are in••• - 03/18/20 02:19 PM

There is yeast already in the air. you can just make sour dough and keep a starter if you dont want to go to the store

https://science.howstuffworks.com/innovation/edible-innovations/sourdough2.htm

my ex wife called hers herman
Posted By: cfowler

Re: •••Dealing with this time we are in••• - 03/18/20 03:12 PM

I have seen empty shelves, and the last time I went to a store (few days ago), there was a sense of urgency among some shoppers, but most seemed relaxed and speaking to those they knew.

I spoke with a few people associated with a large retail chain. What they have told me is, most shoppers haven’t been buying excessive amounts. Most they thought had decided to shop earlier, rather than later in the week or month. Also, those who shopped decided to make fewer trips, so they bought two or three trips worth. Others, who normally buy items in-bulk, purchased more than one trips worth the goods. When you take a business that has limited storage and relies on a system of daily delivers to keep their shelves stocked, any sudden increase in demand upon a distribution center or warehouse, from multiple locations, can create a shortage in the supply chain. The shortage of “stuff” has been a self-fulfilling prophecy, at least in the short term.

The local food pantry “help center as we call it”, has been able to keep plenty of fresh fruits and veggies up to this point. It’s usually in access of what they have need for. Baby stuff is a concern. Also some of the easy to prepare meals preferred by many elderly or learning disabled have been in short supply. They have had volunteers bringing in some items, but they’ll likely run out, for a short period, on many things.

My wife and I are part of the local gardening club, and several members of it volunteer at the food pantry. One of the ladies suggested that we grow “Victory Gardens” like they did in WWII in case there’s a shortage later. Sounds like a good idea to me, and we met with another couple who we’re going to help grow a garden with. We’re already networked as a club, so we feel we’ll be able to provide assistance if the need arises. Just being a little pro-active in a positive way. Plus, it’s just rewarding in itself to get out and be active in your community to affect positive outcomes.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: •••Dealing with this time we are in••• - 03/18/20 03:25 PM

Tom

Got a freezer full of moose and deer burger.I never buy ground burger.

Re: •••Dealing with this time we are in••• - 03/18/20 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
There is yeast already in the air. you can just make sour dough and keep a starter if you dont want to go to the store

https://science.howstuffworks.com/innovation/edible-innovations/sourdough2.htm

my ex wife called hers herman

you can but if you have a pack of yeast to get the culture going it is simple and fast and you keep getting the same type of bread you have gotten

I had a Richard Prenake sour dough sample that I kept alive for a while then life got busy and I didn't keep it maintained.

I acicdntaly made champagne one time we had a area of counter we used to make bread daily , I had opened a jar of canned grape juice from our concord grapes it at open long enough that it picked up the yeast then a time it the fridge and It was sparkling with an alcohol content
Posted By: danvee

Re: •••Dealing with this time we are in••• - 03/18/20 03:57 PM

Take it a day at a time some folks are dying and more to come as always positive things will come of it. Maybe natures way of cleaning out some of the population. We might get a bit smarter on how we do things next time around and there will be a next time. Maybe families will become closer not by distance but by solidarity. More compassion in the world and understanding. Fortunes will be lost and gained new business opportunities. In reality its not that bad, who knows where it will be in a month or a year. I reflect back on times like this to discussions with the greater generation and what they endured, The great depression, some 2 world wars, Vietnam, Korean conflicts and they made it. I had one grandmother that survived most of WW II in a concentration camp. Tough people and they made a lot of the world we live in today. Hard to imagine WW II in Poland or other countries in Europe with invasions, bombings, no food or seeing your home or whole city gone. I guess it might be our time to suck it up and get tough.
Posted By: star flakes

Re: •••Dealing with this time we are in••• - 03/18/20 05:27 PM

As the President and Vice President are warning, it is most important that all of us curb our activities the next 2 weeks. There are numbers of infected people who do not show symptoms who will spread the virus to hundreds of others. We stop this bloom, as in people traveling to see their elderly parents, or going to dart matches, the hospitals will contain the spread, and America will have a human firewall, of the first wave will recover in 2 weeks, and not be reinfected.

Old people I am proud of in they are staying home. I saw pictures of idiots in Florida packed on beaches, violating the rules, in these college kids. That is where the problem is in this.

The supplies are going to hold and transfer will continue. We are not yet in the epidemic, but can thwart a great deal in the next days. There will be panic as test kits come back and people are sick and the numbers rise fast, but that is nothing to panic about, as the people infected are people who are Darwin risk takers. Remove them in immunity and they will not be the spreader problem over the summer.

There are new treatments coming based on malaria drugs with zinc and HIV drugs, which if they can fast track this, will have the United States over this as the President stated by the end of April.

Re: •••Dealing with this time we are in••• - 03/18/20 06:29 PM

starflakes the talking heads are saying 100 % of the population will be exposed at some point. If I was young I would go on spring break too. I just wouldnt go hang out with gramma and grampa for awhile

Re: •••Dealing with this time we are in••• - 03/18/20 06:38 PM

New reports are in.Lot of lung damage in young people that are being infected.
Tom

Re: •••Dealing with this time we are in••• - 03/18/20 07:44 PM

Lungs are one of our organs that will rebuild its self.

Re: •••Dealing with this time we are in••• - 03/18/20 07:53 PM

Not if the damage is very severe. And why would you risk such results?
Blood levels can also rebuild themselves,but why slit your wrists to see how long it takes or how much you can actually lose without death?
Tom

Re: •••Dealing with this time we are in••• - 03/18/20 10:30 PM

100 % exposure is expected

Re: •••Dealing with this time we are in••• - 03/18/20 10:47 PM

475 deaths today in Italy.

345 yesterday.

Hope the quarantine shows effective to bring the numbers down there. Yesterday was the first day the number of of those contracting it to drop.

Re: •••Dealing with this time we are in••• - 03/18/20 11:20 PM

40%of the adults in the US are overweight or obese, 400 million kids under the age of 19 are overweight or obese, Obesity shortens lives and kills, yet these same people will be shovin donuts in there mouths while watching the news about a virus that they may or may not get that will have symptoms they may or may not even feel.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: •••Dealing with this time we are in••• - 03/18/20 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Diggerman
40%of the adults in the US are overweight or obese, 400 million kids under the age of 19 are overweight or obese, Obesity shortens lives and kills, yet these same people will be shovin donuts in there mouths while watching the news about a virus that they may or may not get that will have symptoms they may or may not even feel.

Crazy eh!
Posted By: danvee

Re: •••Dealing with this time we are in••• - 03/19/20 02:21 AM

going to get way worse its exponential wait 15 days it will be way out of control they need a marital law and put the money into medical. GM Ford Chrysler closing things are just beginning they need to put factories to work making what we need and all no essential workers at home. Several states still refusing that anything should be shut down well watch what is going on it a few weeks.

Re: •••Dealing with this time we are in••• - 03/19/20 06:42 PM

I made three loaves of that today.Super easy and good.Thanks Catch.

Re: •••Dealing with this time we are in••• - 03/19/20 10:08 PM

Right on upstate. I tweaked a loaf today and it's the best I've made yet. First I doubled the yeast to a 1/2 Tsp. Then you notice in the video how she uses that paddle thingy and flips the dough a few times. I did it 3X more what she did. Also I let it sit for 4 hours. It rose the highest yet and is fluffier. Wanted to give an update.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: •••Dealing with this time we are in••• - 03/19/20 10:32 PM

Nice.I made mine to dip in some home made hot tomatoe oil dip. 28oz can crushed tomatoes,,three minced cloves garlic,,one third cup olive oil,,one tea spoon sea salt,,one tea spoon sugar,,two table spoons Sriracha hot chili sauce.Simmer in a skillet on low for at least half hour.When almost done,,I stir in a couple tea spoons of grated Romano cheese.Dip your bread in that and see what ya think.Real nice snack.
Posted By: trap master

Re: •••Dealing with this time we are in••• - 03/19/20 10:55 PM

load your magazines before you need them...
© 2024 Trapperman Forums