Home

Drive in Movie Theaters

Posted By: charles

Drive in Movie Theaters - 03/18/20 10:52 PM

Shame we don't have many drive-in theaters left. They could become popular again.
Posted By: chas3457

Re: Drive in Movie Theaters - 03/18/20 10:54 PM

Increased birthrate? shocked

whistle Charlie
Posted By: mississippiposse

Re: Drive in Movie Theaters - 03/18/20 11:02 PM

Summer job in the 60s worked in one. Cool times. Called airway drive-in. Last time I was there the entrance sign was still up. But of course the place has been gone for years
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Drive in Movie Theaters - 03/18/20 11:04 PM

still have one about 30 miles from me. so far as i know it will be open

Re: Drive in Movie Theaters - 03/18/20 11:09 PM

https://search.yahoo.com/search?p=m...=1&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8
Posted By: LDW

Re: Drive in Movie Theaters - 03/18/20 11:13 PM

I have one a half a mile from my house. Might be the last one in Nebr. During the summer it is packed, sometimes they have to turn people away. Families come from as far as Omaha, 150 miles away. It's billed as family friendly, no r rated movies. People even bring their campers and spend the weekend.
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: Drive in Movie Theaters - 03/18/20 11:18 PM

great old drive in 10 miles from me, May-Oct. two movies a night!
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Drive in Movie Theaters - 03/18/20 11:24 PM

Several in SD many along the NE border here.
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Drive in Movie Theaters - 03/18/20 11:25 PM

Miss the drive-in.
The hot ticket was to go in a van ( had one at the time ) and bring the girlfriend. Park backwards and open up the back doors facing the screen. Laid out a huge 2 man sleeping bag on the floor and climb in with your honey laugh
Posted By: Tommie

Re: Drive in Movie Theaters - 03/18/20 11:28 PM

We have one in the town I live in , that stays crowded when it opens in the spring . They back up at least a mile on the road to get in .
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Drive in Movie Theaters - 03/18/20 11:48 PM

I loved going to the drive in movies as a kid. We used to go in my parents AMC Gremlin. My parents brought lots of candy and snacks.

I remember riding down the highway and getting excited seeing little bits of movies as we went by.

The last time I went to a drive in movie was in 1989, with my girlfriend, in upstate New York, near Lake Erie. We watched some of Ghostbusters II.

Keith
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Drive in Movie Theaters - 03/18/20 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Cragar
Miss the drive-in.
The hot ticket was to go in a van ( had one at the time ) and bring the girlfriend. Park backwards and open up the back doors facing the screen. Laid out a huge 2 man sleeping bag on the floor and climb in with your honey laugh

I got thrown in the trunk with two other siblings so the older siblings could go, but didn't have to pay for us lol.
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Drive in Movie Theaters - 03/19/20 12:01 AM

First movie I saw at a drive-in was “Ice Station Zebra.”
Posted By: tlguy

Re: Drive in Movie Theaters - 03/19/20 12:05 AM

I went to one about 10 years ago with a girlfriend. Had an air mattress in the bed of my Chevy S10. Good times.
Posted By: NebrCatMan

Re: Drive in Movie Theaters - 03/19/20 12:17 AM

We had one in a neighboring town and back in the early and mid 70s it was a great place to be on a Saturday nite. Used to sneak in stuffed inside someone's trunk. Boys and girls would pack in … If I remember right there was 6... yes six guys and gals packed in the trunk of the drivers big Cadillac his mom and dad let my friend use. Great times back then !!
Posted By: Half ton

Re: Drive in Movie Theaters - 03/19/20 12:28 AM

Went to ours several times with buddies and dates growing up in the 70's. Then took the kids when they got old enough in the 80's. Grandsons are old enough now and looking forward to taking them to the same one this year.

Russ
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Drive in Movie Theaters - 03/19/20 12:37 AM

I seen Jaws when i was a kid in one of those vans at the drive in
Posted By: Boco

Re: Drive in Movie Theaters - 03/19/20 12:50 AM

Every little town had a cinema theater at one time too.-All gone the way of the dinosaur.
Posted By: Andrew Eastwood

Re: Drive in Movie Theaters - 03/19/20 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
still have one about 30 miles from me. so far as i know it will be open

I have taken a date or two there. grin
Posted By: hippie

Re: Drive in Movie Theaters - 03/19/20 02:35 AM

The Midway is 4 miles from me. Been there as long as I can temember.
Posted By: white17

Re: Drive in Movie Theaters - 03/19/20 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by LDW
I have one a half a mile from my house. Might be the last one in Nebr. During the summer it is packed, sometimes they have to turn people away. Families come from as far as Omaha, 150 miles away. It's billed as family friendly, no r rated movies. People even bring their campers and spend the weekend.

LOL !! I love it !!
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Drive in Movie Theaters - 03/19/20 06:16 AM

First movies I remember seeing were at the local drive in. Jack and the Beanstalk, then Old Yeller came on.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Drive in Movie Theaters - 03/19/20 06:29 AM

I think the first movie I saw at a drive in was; "The Longest Yard" with Burt Reynolds, right after my friend got his drivers license and a bunch of us crammed in his 35 dollar '63 Chevy Impala.
That reminds me; How come back in the 70's a 10 year old car was considered old and nearly a junker? There were a lot of 10 year old cars back then that could be bought for $35-$50 and were okay runners.

Re: Drive in Movie Theaters - 03/19/20 10:31 AM

Yepper waggler. A lot of people have forgotten how often points plugs rotor condenser needed changed to keep a car running. Change altitude for a few days you needed to adjust your carb and timing. At 100,000 miles the engine was losing compression, burning oil, and needed rebuilt. Cars today are expensive too. Not easy to trouble shoot or even repair at home, but they are much more reliable with a whole lot less maintenance.
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: Drive in Movie Theaters - 03/19/20 11:07 AM

I remember "all nighters" at the drive-in movies. Sometimes I didn't remember the whole night. grin
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Drive in Movie Theaters - 03/19/20 11:43 AM

That one is about a 15 minute drive from my house.
Posted By: LDW

Re: Drive in Movie Theaters - 03/19/20 11:56 AM

There was many a Saturday night we finished the keg we started on Friday night. There would be 30 kids drinking, all outside of their cars. Can you imagine that happening today? The town cop would drive through occasionally, but never wrote any tickets. We would try to keep down the noise. Always parked near the back row, the older people would usually park up front. A lot of good memories now that I think back. The earliest movie I remember was The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Mom took us and there was a fierce storm that rolled in that night. Had to had been 10 or 12 at that time.
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: Drive in Movie Theaters - 03/19/20 12:36 PM

If this virus last into the summer, the remaining outdoor drive-ins that are thinking of closing their businesses for good might be thinking twice about it at least for one more year. The first movie I saw in a drive-in was the first War of the Worlds starring Gene Barry in 1953 with my parents. I remember hiding under the back seat of the car when the aliens came into the building with the eye probe.
Posted By: Dillrod

Re: Drive in Movie Theaters - 03/19/20 01:46 PM

Have 2 within an hrs drive from me.

My first ever drive in show was to watch the " Graduate".
Simon and Garfunkel tunes, watching out the back of an old Chevy truck.
Cooler and sleeping bags.
Double dating with my buddy and his girlfriend
That's one of life at it's finer memories.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Drive in Movie Theaters - 03/19/20 02:02 PM

I don't remember the first one I went to but I do remember the last one. It was announced that it was going to be their last summer open. Went there for a double feature, put two smaller guys in the trunk to sneak in. The movie was Wild Wild West with Will Smith. I think the 2nd movie was Bevis and Butthead do America.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Drive in Movie Theaters - 03/19/20 02:10 PM

There's one near my camp. It's across the state line in Portville, NY. I used to take the kids there when they were young and came up to camp in the summer.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Drive in Movie Theaters - 03/19/20 02:59 PM

I think I might have been the first one around here to put lawn chairs In the back of my pick up.
And we had a hole drilled through the floor boards with a funnel and a hose No need to go to the out house when drinking some beer.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Drive in Movie Theaters - 03/19/20 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper
First movie I saw at a drive-in was “Ice Station Zebra.”

Wow! That was a great movie! I have it in DVD and must have seen it 20 times.

Drive in movie theater! Sure brings back a lot of memories!
Posted By: bfflobo

Re: Drive in Movie Theaters - 03/19/20 03:48 PM

BEEN HUR was my first drive-in movie.
Posted By: swift4me

Re: Drive in Movie Theaters - 03/19/20 05:27 PM

When I was a kid in St. Louis we had a neighbor who managed a drive in and some theaters. He was back fron Viet Nam and was very generous with us. We could walk into the snack bar and load up and he never accepted my dad's money. His mom was the neighborhood grandma and we all had a huge community garden behind her house. Those were good times.

Can't remember the first movie I saw but I saw alot of them.

Pete
Posted By: Preacherman Les

Re: Drive in Movie Theaters - 03/19/20 11:28 PM

There is one not too far from me. Lots of people take their kids there in season so they can say "this is what it was like when I was a kid."
Posted By: LAtrapper

Re: Drive in Movie Theaters - 03/19/20 11:37 PM

The last local drive-in theater closed without prior warning on New Years Eve. The closing was announced in the local newspaper>
https://www.dothaneagle.com/news/bu...6c48c15-e7a8-5660-84a5-400630aa3c62.html
Posted By: Nelly

Re: Drive in Movie Theaters - 03/19/20 11:42 PM

I drive past the Sky-Vu drive in every day on my way to work and back.
Thirty five years ago, they used to show some pretty steamy stuff in October and November.
Posted By: Sanford Otte

Re: Drive in Movie Theaters - 03/19/20 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by LDW

Back in the fifty's I used to sit on my aunt and uncles front porch up on the hill in the northeast part of Neligh and watch the drive in movie from there. You couldn't hear it but you could make out parts of the movie. I'm not so sure it isn't the only one left in Nebraska to.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums