Home

Good garden tiller ?

Posted By: kytrapper

Good garden tiller ? - 03/22/20 08:28 PM

I’m looking for a new tiller. I haven’t gardened in several years. Last one I had was an eight horse Sears rear tine that did pretty good. Any suggestions on what brand to get or not get? I see Yardmax, Southland, Troy Built and others.

Also, who uses their UTV for gardening? What implements for them have you found useful.
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: Good garden tiller ? - 03/22/20 08:54 PM

Quit messing around, Lol...….Seriously, Troy Built rear tines have served me well.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jctunnelrat

Re: Good garden tiller ? - 03/22/20 08:56 PM

Troy Built
Posted By: Minker

Re: Good garden tiller ? - 03/22/20 09:09 PM

Troy built
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Good garden tiller ? - 03/22/20 09:11 PM

I believe all the lower end ones are made by mtd. Pick one that has the options ya want and go for it.
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Good garden tiller ? - 03/22/20 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by jctunnelrat
Troy Built

But not the newer ones.
A 10 year old Troy Built one is better than the new ones IMO.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Good garden tiller ? - 03/22/20 09:35 PM

I'd buy an old one when they were built well and put a new engine on it from Harbor Freight.
I had a Sears rear tine given to me. It had a broken chain inside it. I took it apart and fixed it but sure wouldn't buy one.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Good garden tiller ? - 03/22/20 09:41 PM

I've got an older Troybuilt rear tine, and a cheap $200 front tine, which I actually like better. Also, for the money you spend on a new tiller you could hire someone to till it twice a year for quite a few years and not have a tiller to store and maintain.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Good garden tiller ? - 03/22/20 09:44 PM

I have a Troy Built 20 inch rear tine tiller and I also bought a 5 foot King Kutter power take off one for the tractor. That rips up things well in the spring and fall and then I can use the smaller one for the rest of the season. We have clay in one garden and I needed more power and depth plus on needs to wait until the clay is dry and warm or it is a brick or clods.

Bryce
Posted By: TRAPDOC57

Re: Good garden tiller ? - 03/22/20 09:52 PM

Still running my great aunts 79 Troybuilt. Did the garden 4 times over last year. The exhaust was red hot on the first pass but it keep's going. I have a mantis tiller for in between rows and fluffing up around plants.
Posted By: rednecktrapper

Re: Good garden tiller ? - 03/22/20 09:55 PM

I have a 1989 Troybilt Pony. Its older than I am. Served me well. We had the opportunity to buy a used Woods 60" Tiller for the tractor last spring, and what a treat that is. The Pony just gets used in-between rows anymore.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Good garden tiller ? - 03/22/20 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Cragar
Originally Posted by jctunnelrat
Troy Built

But not the newer ones.
A 10 year old Troy Built one is better than the new ones IMO.

X2
Posted By: kytrapper

Re: Good garden tiller ? - 03/22/20 10:17 PM

Looks like Troy Built is popular. What about a pull behind tiller for the UTV? Anyone have one of those? Problem is Ranger is five feet wide.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Good garden tiller ? - 03/22/20 10:22 PM

I've had a troy built for 20 years now, and in bought it used. The best $ 200.00 i have ever spent lol
Posted By: warrior

Re: Good garden tiller ? - 03/22/20 10:23 PM

Google earthtools. Check out the BCS and Grillo walk behind tractors.
Posted By: cwtrapper

Re: Good garden tiller ? - 03/22/20 10:24 PM

Depends on your use. I have a troy built econo horse that I bought new probably around 1995. Sits in the shed broke where the shaft for the tiller mounts by the axle. That's more than 10 years for sure and pretty bad for a machine with not many hrs. on it. Bought a old {1977} troy built horse used. Very good machine have changed the motor and rear drive disc but no complaints. Wouldn't buy a new troy built, older ones can be found.Which would be an ok choice. For the price of a new one you could buy at least 3 new other brand rear tine tillers. Have had front tine tillers and swore at every one. Would definitely not be my choice.
Posted By: muddyriverdogz

Re: Good garden tiller ? - 03/22/20 10:26 PM

I have a Tillsmith thats over 40 years old and still going.
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: Good garden tiller ? - 03/22/20 10:50 PM

I rent one. At $60 for the day, I can rent one for many years and still save money. I don't have to maintenance it, fix it, or store it and it's a bigger, heavier, better machine than I would ever spend my money on.
Posted By: run

Re: Good garden tiller ? - 03/22/20 11:33 PM

BCS is amazing. Yes the local rental yard has one ready to go.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Good garden tiller ? - 03/22/20 11:36 PM

Rear tine Troy built horse I love it.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Good garden tiller ? - 03/22/20 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by warrior

I have a rear tire husqvarna I bought like new off Craig's list. It works but is a pain.

I think I will buy a bcs maybe this spring and a 5' 3 point tiller for my tractor. But we have a large garden for the family and my wife market gardens also.

It depends on how big your garden plans are, how much money and time you want to spend honestly. Myself time and ease of use Trump cash investment plus its income for us. I want equipment my young boys can handle.
Posted By: 3togo

Re: Good garden tiller ? - 03/22/20 11:49 PM

All the current Troybilt tillers are made by MDT. They bought out Troybilt years ago.
The BCS tillers look well made.
Posted By: charles

Re: Good garden tiller ? - 03/22/20 11:56 PM

I now have a 2-stoke Earthquake. I think it has 42 cm engine and it has power to spare for a small garden.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Good garden tiller ? - 03/23/20 12:17 AM

I like a rear-tine if there's no fence but if you have to fence the deer out the corners are a nuisance.

Re: Good garden tiller ? - 03/23/20 01:41 AM

Your boys s
Originally Posted by Providence Farm
Originally Posted by warrior

I have a rear tire husqvarna I bought like new off Craig's list. It works but is a pain.

I think I will buy a bcs maybe this spring and a 5' 3 point tiller for my tractor. But we have a large garden for the family and my wife market gardens also.

It depends on how big your garden plans are, how much money and time you want to spend honestly. Myself time and ease of use Trump cash investment plus its income for us. I want equipment my young boys can handle.

BCS makes a small walk behind that your boys could probably handle.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Good garden tiller ? - 03/23/20 01:51 AM

It depends on how big your garden plans are, how much money and time you want to spend honestly. Myself time and ease of use Trump cash investment plus its income for us. I want equipment my young boys can handle. [/quote]
BCS makes a small walk behind that your boys could probably handle.[/quote]

I'm sure as well as they handle and the gearing options they could handle the largest one. Well maybe I'm optimistic but I have video of my 7 year old running my current husqvarna. It was a little fast for him and only has one speed.
Bcs and grillo make nice equipment. I really want a 22"+ tiller and one of the vertical bed shaper attachments. Making raised beds can't get easier. But last I looked that attachment alone was $1500.
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Good garden tiller ? - 03/23/20 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by charles
I now have a 2-stoke Earthquake. I think it has 42 cm engine and it has power to spare for a small garden.

I got a free tiller attachment for my weed eater on Craigslist. Way too small and jumpy/and handle to control for bigger jobs but works great for those small spots. I gave it to my neighbor to use for the edges of his garden and mostly to churn the dirt inside his chicken coop. After the chickens poop a bit it becomes like cement and he churns it back into the soil so they can still scratch it a bit. Handy in those tight spots but would not recommend for a large area as you fight for control quite a bit. The Mantis or Earthquake one is more controllable as it has wheels and slightly bigger tines.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Good garden tiller ? - 03/23/20 02:16 AM

I have a simplicity 7016RT mine is about 13 years old still works well it is fairly simple and turns the soil nicely.

I was partners on an older Troybuilt horse but then I moved and my friend got divorced he had the tiller. I have no idea where it is now his parents had the tiller but the engine was sized , I found a 7hp Tecumseh to fit the bolt pattern and for 50 dollars we had a tiller that worked I got about 4 years use for my 50 dollars. then bought the new Simplicity.
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Good garden tiller ? - 03/23/20 02:39 AM

Before you buy- look up Maxim tillers, made in Mississippi
They are strong, heavy built tillers with lots of plowing and tilling accessories
Every part on them is heavy built.
Iv owned troybuilt, craftsman and others, they are good tillers but not as good as the maxim
Posted By: snowy

Re: Good garden tiller ? - 03/23/20 02:51 AM

I don't have one and just turn my over with a spade. Garden is 80' long by 8' wide so not that big and doesn't take to long to do. I spread some old manure on top and spade her up in the fall and rake it smooth in the spring.

Re: Good garden tiller ? - 03/23/20 01:15 PM

BCS is like the Mercedes Benz of tillers. We used to have a Troy bilt 20 years ago but I don't miss it at all.
Posted By: huntcook

Re: Good garden tiller ? - 03/23/20 01:47 PM

I have a 1980 Troy built horse tiller. I have replaced the engine on it but used it to till over an acre of tobacco at lease 3 times a season. I still have a large garden and it is still going.
Posted By: swift4me

Re: Good garden tiller ? - 03/23/20 05:23 PM

Not cheap but I love my BCS. Mantis for weed control and replanting in mid season.

Pete
© 2024 Trapperman Forums