Home

Smoker question

Posted By: brianmall

Smoker question - 03/24/20 11:37 PM

I'm looking at putting two in the kitchen I'm remodeling. Custom building cabinets to hide them with bathroom vents installed to pipe smoke outside.

Electric type smoker

What are your thoughts on putting them indoors?
Posted By: white marlin

Re: Smoker question - 03/24/20 11:42 PM

I think when you open the door to check/baste/remove, you'll smoke up your kitchen.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Smoker question - 03/24/20 11:43 PM

Commercial kitchens do it all the time. Obviously you gotta have the ventilation done.
Posted By: charles

Re: Smoker question - 03/24/20 11:51 PM

Will they be on an exterior wall? Have you ever had a fire in a smoker. Would be hard to handle in a cabinet.
Posted By: Cannon Ball

Re: Smoker question - 03/24/20 11:57 PM

The answer can be found with a simple question - Are you married ? If not then have at it - if you smoke up the house or burn it down it is all you - if you have a wife and you smoke up the house or burn it down it will still be all your fault but it will be much more painful listening to her for the rest of your life. Your move. If you choose to install I see an insurance claim in your near future, when the company does not pay because of the improperly installed "smoker" do not be surprised. Keep your smoker outdoors.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Smoker question - 03/25/20 12:04 AM

I think it’s doable but heed the warnings above.. also would rethink the ventilation. Not sure I’d use bathroom vents.
That said....I like to do my smoke and bbq outside. I enjoy the time spent. Wife runs the kitchen, I run the Porch...
Heck we even bbq at -30..
Posted By: keystone

Re: Smoker question - 03/25/20 12:09 AM

I’ve done it in my garage with the chimney piped out the window, it works fine but the smoke smell lasts for weeks.

Re: Smoker question - 03/25/20 12:19 AM

If not UL approved it could be a homeowner insurance issue. Believe I would ask my agent first.
Posted By: cablejohn

Re: Smoker question - 03/25/20 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by charles
If not UL approved it could be a homeowner insurance issue. Believe I would ask my agent first.
(this) I just lost a new construction home two weeks ago. The investigation is April 9 and 10. I guarantee you would not be paid if they found something like this that was not designed for in home use.
Posted By: mudtracker

Re: Smoker question - 03/25/20 02:47 AM

You might be a redneck
Posted By: Boco

Re: Smoker question - 03/25/20 04:00 AM

Never heard of a smokehouse inside a house,lol.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Smoker question - 03/25/20 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
Never heard of a smokehouse inside a house,lol.

technically the early German settlers to Wisconsin did it but they built a big masonry chimney up the center of the house that had the fire place and smoke room all in the chimney an example of this is preserved at the German settlement in Old world Wisconsin living history site.

but certainly not common in modern houses.
Posted By: OhioBoy

Re: Smoker question - 03/25/20 10:18 AM

Every smoker I've ever had is gross in short order and needs replaced to not be a biohazzard. I'm not sure I'd want one behind my cabinet.

I want to build one on my porch and feed it cold smoke from a fire down the hill via underground flu popping up through the porch.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Smoker question - 03/25/20 10:53 AM

I'd set it up like a Jenn-Air for the proper ventilation. Sure wouldn't put it in a wood cabinet.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Smoker question - 03/25/20 11:01 AM

If you want to cook in one in inclement weather build a small pavilion right outside the back door. There is good reason nobody offers a built in smoker in a new home. I suppose you could build one from brick like the pizza ovens you see in Brooklyn. Buy or build a steel door for it. I would not want one of those metal ones. None I am aware of is designed for inside use. You will be able to smell smoke 3 months after the last time you used it.

You want to think about cleaning also. They get a build up of black tar on the inside. No way you clean one inside your house with out getting a nasty mess in the house too.
Posted By: vermontster

Re: Smoker question - 03/25/20 11:06 AM

If you do it surround them with rock wool and metal Incase of a fire might help contain it for a little while.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Smoker question - 03/25/20 11:20 AM

bad idea
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Smoker question - 03/25/20 01:58 PM

Building code inspectors and insurance companies would probably frown upon this idea.
Posted By: brianmall

Re: Smoker question - 03/25/20 11:48 PM

Lol

Re: Smoker question - 03/26/20 02:38 AM

I have seen commercial smokers that mounted on an exterior wall. They were stainless and fired by charcoal. My nephew cooked at a rib place that had two. They vented to the outside. Probably held 100 lbs of meat each.
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Smoker question - 03/26/20 03:35 PM

I am thinking you were smoken when you were thinkn

But on the positive side..
You could use any soft surface in the home in a dirt hole
© 2024 Trapperman Forums