Home

Daytime running lights

Posted By: concrete man

Daytime running lights - 03/25/20 01:57 PM

For the last hour been changing the running lights on the wife's truck had to take half the front off to get to it. But it beats paying someone to do it . I think they make this stuff hard to work on so people will bring it to a dealer to fix.j
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Daytime running lights - 03/25/20 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by concrete man
For the last hour been changing the running lights on the wife's truck had to take half the front off to get to it. But it beats paying someone to do it . I think they make this stuff hard to work on so people will bring it to a dealer to fix.j

And charge you $200 to fix it.
Posted By: tlguy

Re: Daytime running lights - 03/25/20 02:00 PM

I had a trailblazer that had a piece broken off the front grill (passenger side) when I bought it used, kind of in a weird spot with no surrounding damage. Didnt think anything of it until I was just about ready to sell it and had to change a headlight bulb. You guessed it, had to remove that front grill piece and broke the end off the driver's side.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Daytime running lights - 03/25/20 02:00 PM

Yep!
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Daytime running lights - 03/25/20 02:15 PM

Most things on cars now are designed to lower costs/weight/ease of installing on the assembly line. Repairing down the road takes a back seat. There are a bunch of cars now to work in that area you have to remove the plastic bumper cover to get to things like headlights or turn signal bulbs. Not really intended to make you go back to the stealership , but difficult enough for the DIYer that is what happens most of the time.

Mechanic's tip - always replace bulbs that work in pairs ( headlights, brake lights , parking lights) , replace both. One will burn out , the other one will burn out quickly thereafter.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Daytime running lights - 03/25/20 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog

And charge you $200 to fix it.

Do you work for nothing?

Did one the other day that the whole bumper cover and grille had to come off to replace the lights.
Posted By: k snow

Re: Daytime running lights - 03/25/20 02:18 PM

First generation cadillac SRX's require removing the front bumper cover to change turn signal bulbs. But it's faster at the factory.

Re: Daytime running lights - 03/25/20 03:01 PM

The need for $200 worth of labor to replace a bulb should never be needed, I seen a vehicle just yesterday that had rear marker lights sitting vertical between the tail lights and the exhaust. My first thought was what it would take to replace that bulb. Being a mechanic in the past that was the thought.

Re: Daytime running lights - 03/25/20 03:03 PM

Just buy a Chevy that one front running light seems to never go out. LOL

Re: Daytime running lights - 03/25/20 03:15 PM

The need for $200 worth of labor to replace a bulb should never be needed, I seen a vehicle just yesterday that had rear marker lights sitting vertical between the tail lights and the exhaust. My first thought was what it would take to replace that bulb. Being a mechanic in the past that was the thought.

It is sad what you see on today's cars , no thought given for serviceability.
I just replaced a coil pack on my Mazda Tribute 3.0L V6. I was so ,so glad it was in the front bank. It took less than 20 minutes. If it was on the back bank , I would have had to remove the intake manifold to get to it. In order to replace all 6 spark plugs , you have to remove the intake as well to get to the back 3 plugs.

Better ideas at Ford. Yeah , right........
(Note for non-car guys , Mazda tribute/Ford escape/Mercury mariner, all the same vehicle)
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Daytime running lights - 03/25/20 03:55 PM

my dads car to replace the blower fan switch the whole dash had to come out

if it wasn't such a nice car I would have though about cutting around the switch and screwing back in a new piece of flashing with the switch in it to cover the hole
Posted By: trap master

Re: Daytime running lights - 03/25/20 05:22 PM

when my daytime running lights burn out, I just don't have daytime running lights anymore... they aren't essential in my opinion so im not paying to fix them
Posted By: charles

Re: Daytime running lights - 03/26/20 02:43 AM

Both our cars have daytime running lights and automatic headlamps. How do they know when daylight savings time comes and goes? Maybe the radio knows or the gps.
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: Daytime running lights - 03/26/20 02:54 AM

My next truck will be another chevy/gmc. Less than 100,000 miles and older than 2004. Just for reasons mentioned. New vehicles suck.
Posted By: tlguy

Re: Daytime running lights - 03/26/20 03:20 AM

Just buy a Chevy that one front running light seems to never go out. LOL

Ain't that the truth! Seems like 9 out of 10 vehicles I see with a single daytime running light are Chevys.
Posted By: Squash

Re: Daytime running lights - 03/26/20 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Sprung&Rusty
My next truck will be another chevy/gmc. Less than 100,000 miles and older than 2004. Just for reasons mentioned. New vehicles suck.

Whatever you do, do not purchase a Chevy/GMC from the years 2008 or 2009. I have an 08, and it has many problems, and recalls. bad rear springs from the factory, brake issues, wheel bearing issues, and many electronics issues. It had so many manufactured issues, my other truck now is a Toyota Tundra.
Posted By: DRF

Re: Daytime running lights - 03/26/20 02:49 PM

Working on anything on newer cars is about as much fun as a colonoscopy prep!!
Posted By: adam m

Re: Daytime running lights - 03/26/20 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by DRF
Working on anything on newer cars is about as much fun as a colonoscopy prep!!

laugh
Yup

Re: Daytime running lights - 03/26/20 03:38 PM

Trade the new ones in before the warranty runs out as who could afford to pay for repairs on the monstrosity mess they are today. When I bought the new Tacoma they tried to sell me several different warranties it was like 5 or 6 different ones I just laughed and said no thanks, the new ones have so much junk on them one warrantee won’t cover the mess.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Daytime running lights - 03/26/20 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by trap master
when my daytime running lights burn out, I just don't have daytime running lights anymore... they aren't essential in my opinion so im not paying to fix them

if its on the vehicle it has to work, hope you don't run into a ink starved State Trooper that wants to spill a little ink on paper for you.
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: Daytime running lights - 03/26/20 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Northof50

if its on the vehicle it has to work, hope you don't run into a ink starved State Trooper that wants to spill a little ink on paper for you.

I don't think daytime running lights are a requirement.

Re: Daytime running lights - 03/26/20 04:44 PM

If the vehicle was equipped with them originally, they have to work.
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Daytime running lights - 03/26/20 04:50 PM

Wouldn't that law be state specific?
Posted By: DRF

Re: Daytime running lights - 03/26/20 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by k snow
If the vehicle was equipped with them originally, they have to work.

Okay, send the ticket to the factory then who can't seem to make things last anymore.

Re: Daytime running lights - 03/26/20 06:34 PM

No law that I know of that says you need any day lights during daylight hours that’s just a courtesy option or factory set when the vehicle was built.

Re: Daytime running lights - 03/26/20 06:56 PM

From my understanding of the WI law, if the vehicle was equipped with the lights, they have to work. The vehicles didn't have to be equipped, that was a manufacturer decision.

Re: Daytime running lights - 03/26/20 07:03 PM

You would think daylight running lights are optional but headlights, tail lights and turn signals are mandatory yes. Enforcing that would be a nightmare to enforce and unfair in so many ways.

Re: Daytime running lights - 03/26/20 07:08 PM

You would think daylight running lights are optional but headlights, tail lights and turn signals are mandatory yes. Enforcing that would be a nightmare to enforce and unfair in so many ways.

Think is a big word for the government.

Re: Daytime running lights - 03/26/20 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by k snow
From my understanding of the WI law, if the vehicle was equipped with the lights, they have to work. The vehicles didn't have to be equipped, that was a manufacturer decision.

The law can be weird. A friend of mine in NJ had a Harley that he just about covered in lights for mostly show use. Had to add 2 batteries in the storage box just to run them. It had well over an extra 100 tiny LED bulbs.
He found out from a friend that any lights you add , if used for road use 98% of them have to work. So if he used them for road use and had 3 bulbs burned out , he could get a ticket. The bike never came with them from the factory but they have to work.

Re: Daytime running lights - 03/26/20 07:16 PM

Might be a bike law many States require daytime headlights on at all times for visibility.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Daytime running lights - 03/26/20 08:09 PM

In Canada;
One-eyed-snoozes;
Get the "dicso lights" lite up on the highway on officers slow days

across Canada they made it the law for the roads say 20+ years ago, the excemptions were already manufactured ones. So when someone buys a used car in the USA they have to get day-time running lights installed, so bringing them north is a pain.

Hey buddy have a great deal of a used truck out of NY state, only one passed owner......this is going to upset the used market for awhile now.
Posted By: Lufkin Trapper

Re: Daytime running lights - 03/26/20 08:11 PM

DID YOU CHECK THE BLINKER FLUID BEFORE YOU STARTED? SOMETIMES THAT'S ALL THEY NEED. Sorry 'bout the caps.
Posted By: Furvor

Re: Daytime running lights - 03/26/20 10:03 PM

I once caught running lights in a snare.

not
Posted By: trap master

Re: Daytime running lights - 03/26/20 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Northof50

im not sure about that. particular truck im speaking of is a 2007 chevy half ton. it has automatic headlights, or you can turn them on manually. but when its on auto and the daytime running lights are on all you have to do is turn the knob/dial to the left and they go off, which is what I do, so the vehicle has them but I turn them off. so smokey the bear wouldn't know if they worked or not. but you could be right, I don't know. but no matter, ive always been a bit of an outlaw....
© 2024 Trapperman Forums