Home

Collapsable turkey hen decoy

Posted By: coop

Collapsable turkey hen decoy - 03/26/20 12:38 PM

Who has a good one... thoughts?
Posted By: WV Danimal

Re: Collapsable turkey hen decoy - 03/26/20 01:01 PM

Used some a few weeks ago in s. Florida that my buddy got for just a few bucks at WMart on clearance last year. I don't use decoys but thought it would help get one in close for my 7yr old. Worked like a charm as it brought a big boy from 300 to 25 yards. They have a sturdy stake and great movement in the breeze. I actually had to put a stick on either side to keep them from just spinning in circles because it was pretty windy late mornings. [Linked Image]
Posted By: skippyturtle

Re: Collapsable turkey hen decoy - 03/26/20 01:39 PM

if i were to use a collapsable it would be a montana. actually i would use 2
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Collapsable turkey hen decoy - 03/26/20 03:49 PM

I used crack foam in the ones I have they are light easy to carry and look real just add a stake or old arrow shaft for the leg. The reason for that is I have seen the fold up ones fold up when set in a hurry ruining the set-up.
Posted By: frank1969

Re: Collapsable turkey hen decoy - 03/26/20 03:52 PM

When I use them it's usually with new hunters or kids and I will tell u the lay down hen and 3/4 strut Jake will just make a Tom go out of his mind also I use zink avian x ones, I still Carry the old foam feather flex in my vest for that just in case day
Posted By: ol' dad

Re: Collapsable turkey hen decoy - 03/26/20 04:03 PM

Montana makes the best that I know of. Their strutter fold up decoy is fairly realistic looking as well.

ol' dad
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: Collapsable turkey hen decoy - 03/26/20 05:17 PM

IMO, realism in turkey decoys is over rated. But at the same time, Montanas decoys don't impress me. Lucky Duck and Primos collapsible decoys look better to me. Avian X makes a super nice one if you're willing to spend $75 on one. I'm not.
Posted By: WV Danimal

Re: Collapsable turkey hen decoy - 03/26/20 05:45 PM

I gotta tell ya, just something about a "decoy" 25 yards from me in today's world of "hunters" still gives the chills. I would NEVER try such a thing on public ground. I know I'm in the minority as it seems everyone uses them these days but I never really needed them to get it done either. I was running and gunning in the Black Hills in the spring of 2010 when a gobbler cut loose about 150 yds ahead of me. It was fairly open and I was penned so I just went prone on the road I was walking. After several minutes of gobbling and not moving, I heard rocks rolling behind me. I turn around to see another hunter belly crawling in the same road I was in with a hen decoy in front of him and a rifle lying across his arms. I gave him the hands up "(This word is unacceptable on Trapperman)" gesture and he kept coming. I stood up and did a fast walk toward the tom screaming like a bull elk on my mouth call lol..... guess he got the point, I never looked back. Sorry if I messed up your hunt Law Dog smile
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Collapsable turkey hen decoy - 03/26/20 05:59 PM

Not me I favor thick cover over a decoy on public land and seldom us a decoy even on private ground really it’s just a change of pace thing and after a set up or two I need to pick them up on the way back to the truck. LOL

I did put a bird to bed one night in the Hills the next morning I ran by 2 guys set up on it by the time I got there. In just apologized and let them work that bird.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums