Home

Oldest person you knew

Posted By: tomahawker

Oldest person you knew - 03/27/20 08:40 PM

My Great Granpa born in 1898 is the oldest I’ve known. Chewed tobacco... in the house, till he died at 92.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Oldest person you knew - 03/27/20 08:50 PM

Knew a couple farmers in the community that lived to 100. Wife’s grandma is 97 and still lives at home. She fell shoveling snow this winter, and wasn’t happy when her shovels all disappeared. I hope I’m in that shape at 97
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Oldest person you knew - 03/27/20 09:00 PM

my wife's grandfather made 94

her grandmother 92

my great grandmother 92 she went out for a dinner and a concert by the lake the eve of her death and just never woke up , I think that is a nice way to go

my grandmother will be 92 in June

my parents neighbor should be 92 in a few weeks he is still very mobile he ha been the keeper at the cemetery since he retired 25 years ago

my Grandpas were both 84 one was only a few days short of 85.

my great grandpa made 88 but honestly it was all water pills and lungs filling with water after 85.

Posted By: grayfox54

Re: Oldest person you knew - 03/27/20 09:01 PM

My mother will be 91 in June and she loves it when I take her on mountain rides
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Oldest person you knew - 03/27/20 09:04 PM

My great grandma is 103, still alive. Wishes we was dead though. It's sad. Her husband died in 1987 right after I was born, and she still goes by Mrs. Kenneth Jones. Up until she was 91 she was still climbing up on counters to clean. She broke her arm when she was 95 and recovered in 2 months, she had a heart attack and stroke when she was 96 and you couldn't tell 6 months later. After that, she was moved to a home, and now she spends her days strapped to a wheel chair, wanting each day to be over. She doesn't know anyone, she doesn't remember anyone, always confused. As sad as it would have been for everyone else, she probably would have liked it if no one had found her after her stoke and heart attack, and had died, then she could be re-united with her husband.
Posted By: imissed

Re: Oldest person you knew - 03/27/20 09:08 PM

I knew several old farts.

Both grandma's. One died at 96 the other 97,

Great uncle's. 106 and 102 when they died. They were brothers.

Think of all the history they seen!

All of them were born in the late 1800's and early 1900's.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Oldest person you knew - 03/27/20 09:16 PM

I have a lot of relatives who live into their nineties and a few who live into their hundreds. My great, great uncle Ed died at 106 and would be the oldest person I knew. His sister, my great, great aunt Goldie died at 99. In just a little over a year, I have lost my grandfather at 96, my great uncle Angelo at 100, my great uncle Charlie at 97 and my great aunt Helen at 96. In 2 generations, of one family on my mothers side, last century, 24 people lived over 100. The oldest lived to 111, most died between 104 and 106.

I don't think I will live very long.

Keith
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Oldest person you knew - 03/27/20 09:19 PM

great aunt lived to be 106

Re: Oldest person you knew - 03/27/20 09:21 PM

What year were these folks born? I think it’s amazing I knew someone born in the 1800’s
Posted By: Sullivan K

Re: Oldest person you knew - 03/27/20 09:26 PM

I've got an Uncle who is 93. My x-wifes father was 97 when he died. When he got to be about 93, or so, he started going by half years. 94--94 and a 1/2, 95 then 95 and a half 1/2, like kids when you ask them how old they re and they say 3 and a 1/2. He was proud of how old he was so he wanted to stretch it out as far as he could.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Oldest person you knew - 03/27/20 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by tomahawker
What year were these folks born? I think it’s amazing I knew someone born in the 1800’s

Wife and I were talking about that a few months ago. Sad my kids will never know anyone from the 1800’s. Amazing all the technology they saw. All my great grandparents went from horse and buggy to Lincon town cars.

Re: Oldest person you knew - 03/27/20 09:36 PM

Same here, my great grandparents had the first car I was in with power windows. They had to have a talk with me about it!
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Oldest person you knew - 03/27/20 09:42 PM

My GGpa was borned in 1896. He was onry but a wonderful Grandpa. He smoked, chewed and drank shine like water. People said he made the best shine around. He would give in to us kids and pick the banjo and sing for us. You could not leave his house without eating a apple. He had them year round in a huge wooden bowl. He didn't have electric or indoor plumbing till I believe the 60's, maybe early 70's. He never had a drivers license, a mule and sled was all he needed. The only time I know that he left that holler was when he was extradited to Frankfort for making shine. He was a miner and a farmer. He passed over in 85, 3 months shy of his 90th birthday. He was a hoot!

He's the oldest family I knew personally. The neighbor is 94, he does real good for himself and walks a mile every day.
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: Oldest person you knew - 03/27/20 10:07 PM

My grandmother who was born in 1872 just 7 years after the end of the civil war. She died in 1964 at the age of 92. Her husband, my grandfather who died before I came into this world, was born in 1867.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Oldest person you knew - 03/27/20 10:12 PM

My old neighbor died in 1998. I think he was 99, just a few months short of 100. He was one of the last veterans alive from WW I.
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: Oldest person you knew - 03/27/20 10:25 PM

Neighbor lived to be 104. She was a widow for over 40 years. Was sharp until the end. She stopped mowing her lawn with a push mower when she was 96 because she broke her hip when she fell off a ladder painting her porch. .

She was a school teacher and told a story about the time she confiscated a revolver from one of her students. He and some friends were shooting bottles off of the back fence on the school playground during recess. She kept the revolver in her desk drawer until the boy's dad came in to get it. The world sure has changed.
Posted By: mike mason

Re: Oldest person you knew - 03/27/20 10:32 PM

Gramps died at 93,his father died in a mine cave in at 75 and his father lived to be 102. All my Aunts lived into their nineties.
Posted By: Bogmaster

Re: Oldest person you knew - 03/27/20 10:43 PM

My great aunt on my mothers side(my Godmother),lived to be 102. My great aunt on my dads side lived to be 102. She was also throwing hay bales well into her 80s.
When I was up hunting or trapping,I would always stop in to say hello.That was the time for her to put on the coffee pot.One of my best remembrances of her at age 100--her getting her walker up to the stove to make coffee and rolls for our sit down.
Tom
Posted By: BruceDafter

Re: Oldest person you knew - 03/27/20 10:44 PM

My grandma died last spring she was 100. I had a great aunt who must have died 30+ years ago at 96, so she would have been born in the mid 1890s.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Oldest person you knew - 03/27/20 10:47 PM

My uncle Allan who is 101. My mom is 93 and my dad is 96, both still kicking well.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Oldest person you knew - 03/27/20 10:48 PM

Mom is 97 just getting by each day now. Still walking with a walker by herself.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Oldest person you knew - 03/27/20 10:57 PM

My wife's grandma died at 101, her daughter my mother-in-law is 98. Lots of longevity on my wife's side of the family. On my side not nearly as much, especially the men. Two members of our local retired educators association were given a party at our event as one is a 100 and the other was 101 and just passed away a month ago.

Bryce
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: Oldest person you knew - 03/27/20 10:59 PM

Clarence Blakney, 103 when he passed...WW1 Vet, got gassed, shot, and came home a walking skeleton....Must have just made him tougher.
Posted By: snowy

Re: Oldest person you knew - 03/27/20 10:59 PM

I've know a few people that made it to 100 plus. I just had an on old teacher from HS that passed away the 24th and she was 3 days short of being 100. A great lady and know her and stayed in touch with her through the years. My folks were good friends with them.
Posted By: kevtrap

Re: Oldest person you knew - 03/27/20 11:02 PM

One of my grandfathers lived to be 94. Both of my grandmothers were 99 when they passed
Posted By: Artrapper16

Re: Oldest person you knew - 03/27/20 11:37 PM

A farmer from my church mom passed away last year at 104 I believe
Posted By: oneoldboot

Re: Oldest person you knew - 03/27/20 11:59 PM

My grandmother died two years ago at 105. She always enjoyed talking about seeing and touching the first airplane that came to town when she was a young child.
Posted By: randy r

Re: Oldest person you knew - 03/28/20 12:14 AM

A lady at our church is 103 and still drives.
Posted By: jk

Re: Oldest person you knew - 03/28/20 12:37 AM

Had a grandfather that was born 2-8-82 he always said, that is 1882 feb 8th. One of my mom statements that I will never forget is that she would race car up the hill by her house and she was very depressed one day when a car finally went up faster than she did, she said she thinks she was about 9 years old then. and don't forget Queenie of England, she must be 95ish I think,, she weathered through WW II. When I was a kid in the late 40's two old ladies lived in the civil war museum building, a very small place. They said that they were my age in the civil war so they were up there too. I would love to have known the age of some of those old folks overseas in southeast Asia that I saw.....jk
Posted By: harleydparts

Re: Oldest person you knew - 03/28/20 01:19 AM

My maternal side - My grandfather died at 89, he welded (what we now call brazing, it was welding with a blow torch then) steel slabs together in a steel mill with no thought of resportority repercussions. Smoked filterless Kool cigarettes (how many of you remember them?) till he was 85. My grandmother lived to 105 & kept her very sharp mind to about 104 1/2. My paternal side - grandfather died at 31, grandmother at 62. I smoke, drink & chase woman ( ok, only my wife of 44 years but she's really fast) and am betting I'll live to be ...... tomorrow. If I lose the bet, sue my estate.
Posted By: Nelly

Re: Oldest person you knew - 03/28/20 01:20 AM

As a child, I knew a couple of guys who were WW1 veterans but I didn't get to know them well.
I got to know quite a number of WW2 veterans through the VFW. I used to wash dishes at our VFW with a Navy diver who was at Pearl Harbor. Among the oldest that I now see regularly are a couple of other old Navy men. One was on the Pennsylvania where he got to know Johnny Carson before he was famous and another who was on the Enterprise in the last few months of the war.
My Grandmother Hester Schwartz had many interesting stories to tell. She drove her dad's wagon from Nebraska to Wisconsin when she was about 14 right after the turn of the century. She later taught at the first integrated school in Wisconsin (although it was after the time of integration) .
Posted By: MnMan

Re: Oldest person you knew - 03/28/20 01:33 AM

My grandmother was 100 when she passed and my only living aunt is now 100 as well.
Posted By: tjm

Re: Oldest person you knew - 03/28/20 02:46 AM

Growing up in the '50s I knew lots of folks born in the 1800s All four grandparents born between 1865-1886, although Mom's dad died a month before I was born, all four of Mom's siblings born in the 1800s and all my great uncles and aunts over 15 of them with out counting, some died when I was young and memories blend with stories, lots of neighbors fit the 1800s thing too. Mom & Dad born in the 1910s. Many of those folks lived into their 90s I can't recall all of them exactly, one was 102, but I can't recall who right now. Mom died at 94 and was still living on her own.
Posted By: asphalttrapper

Re: Oldest person you knew - 03/28/20 03:27 AM

There was a lady from the little company town I grew up in . Her and her husband owned the little general store. He past away at 88 about 25 years ago she still lived in the house til she was 100 when she fell and broke her hip and had to go to a home. She healed and lived there til she died 2 years ago at 107. The Docs. use to tell her that she didn't need the flu shot cause as a little girl she contracted the Spanish Flu and survived so she had immunity from the flu.
Posted By: Osky

Re: Oldest person you knew - 03/28/20 03:45 AM

My grandmother was born on the dirt in western Minnesota in 1888. In the early eighties I would sit and talk with her in her home and listen to her stories. She was sharp as a tick mentally. Some nights the news would be on the tv showing shuttle launches. She went from a time when automobiles were unknown to watching people walk on the moon and go to space and back on the shuttle.
The beautiful Mohican who chases me around every now and again had a grandmother who went to 104. Again to the day she passed she was incredibly smart.

Osky
Posted By: elkaholic

Re: Oldest person you knew - 03/28/20 07:09 AM

My grandfather (dads dad) was 100 yrs and 2 days old when he died.
My mom's mom died at 96. Her sisters all lived to be between 94-98.
Had a little lady at the home my MIL is in come up and tell me it was her birthday 2 years ago. She was 103. Every time I go out there she comes wheeling over and calls me her lover. She's now 105 and still going. She's a naughty little lady. She tells me all the time she wished she was 50 years younger. Says she'd teach me what a real woman was like between the sheets.
She's a scream though. She'll come over grab my hand and won't let go until I give her a kiss on the cheek. Then she giggles and falls asleep..... Story of my life.
Posted By: AKAjust

Re: Oldest person you knew - 03/28/20 08:56 AM

My mother 101
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Oldest person you knew - 03/28/20 11:13 AM

my great grand mother was 102 , we believe , she die in the 60's , she was married 5 times put them all in the grave , what that woman must have seen in her time
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: Oldest person you knew - 03/28/20 11:25 AM

Got an old friend I dove with is in nursing home now is 93..

Mac
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: Oldest person you knew - 03/28/20 11:25 AM

Had an aunt that was 100, my mother made it to 91.
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: Oldest person you knew - 03/28/20 01:16 PM

My great aunt was 103 when she passed away, my mom was 83 her parents my grandparents were 88 when they passed away and a friend who was one of the original flying tiger's was 92 or 93 when he passed away I hope to keep waking up for many year's to come ha ha

Allan
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Oldest person you knew - 03/28/20 01:58 PM

My mom was 97 and my dad was 94, born in 1901, when they passed. I have four sisters, Oldest is 90, 87' 85 and 83 in that order. All doing well. Good genes in my family, I guess.

I have a neighbor that is right at the 100 mark, and his driving is scary, but he is doing well....just can't hear! If you ain't healthy, getting old really sucks, but if healthy it is a blessing!
Posted By: gary j

Re: Oldest person you knew - 03/28/20 01:59 PM

I bet I have the record. My father was adopted by my grandparents when they were in their early 60's. My grandfather lived til about 95 years old and was born in Denmark in 1865 and immigrated to this country in early 1880's. He was a well known woodworker around the Storm Lake, Ia, area in the first half of the 20th century. I still have and use his wood lathe.
Gary
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Oldest person you knew - 03/28/20 02:01 PM

My neighbor Howard Dean lived to 105. He was featured on good morning america before he passed. Most of my neighbors make it to around 100.
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: Oldest person you knew - 03/28/20 03:12 PM

A distant cousin who lived to be 103,she died in the mid '80's.She was born on a homestead here in the U.P. and followed her husband when he was a wood worker moving from logging camp to camp.When she was on her deathbed the minister asked her if she remembered anything from her childhood,and she told him she could remember it all like it happened yesterday.I always remember that.It shows you how short life really is.
Posted By: swift4me

Re: Oldest person you knew - 03/28/20 03:36 PM

My grandma in eastern Montana died at 93 after smoking two packs of Lucky Strike shorts and a 6 pack of Oly every day. My mother in law here made it to 97 and her sister is 100 and still has her wits.

Pete
Posted By: mask bandit

Re: Oldest person you knew - 03/28/20 03:43 PM

I knew a old woman. That lived to be 101 but she died two short of her 102 birthday. She never took medicine in her life . Once she was in the hospital , she made the nurses and doctors mad because she wouldn't take medicine ,they asked her why , she would pick up her old bible and say Jesus is my medicine. She lived too , she never had a mean bone in her body. She had all 5 sons serve in WWII , all 5 sons came home , they all saw action.
Posted By: JAMIE-S.

Re: Oldest person you knew - 03/28/20 03:49 PM

My Grandma was 99.5 never took any pills.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Oldest person you knew - 03/28/20 04:54 PM

My great granny was 102 . Used that old brown powder snuff up until one week before she passed.
Posted By: 2dogs

Re: Oldest person you knew - 03/28/20 05:14 PM

Oldest I knew the age of would be my maternal Grandmother who made 96. She saw 3 changes in currency in Ireland when your money becomes worthless if you don't trade it in. I saw the change with her from no electricity or running water to both of those things being on the farm. Never a car owned or a trip on a train or airplane. The only things that used gas or oil on their place were the lanterns and the stove. The (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) cart or yourself was everything else. Hay cut by scythe and the rakes were all wood. The whole place was covered with snares to combat the foxes who ate her beloved hens. She was tough as nails, carried bags of turf into her eighties. My Grandpa had a heart attack that sidelined him.

I think what got her so many years was her habit of walking two miles every night. She carried a stick for the dogs that would come after you on those rural boreens. I can still remember her old dresses and broken shoes when she would be trying to hand my mom a huge roll of cash she thought we needed, my mom saying no thanks and trying to explain we were doing fine in America and that she should save a little bit less and maybe buy some new shoes.

We have seen a lot of change but I think the change that that generation saw might have been more abrupt.

Re: Oldest person you knew - 03/28/20 05:30 PM

1865! Dang
Posted By: hippie

Re: Oldest person you knew - 03/28/20 05:38 PM

Had an Aunt that made it to 100. Three days later she died, I think it was her last goal.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums