Home

Hip boots or chest waders?

Posted By: yote_trapper20

Hip boots or chest waders? - 03/28/20 01:50 AM

Which do you prefer and why? What is your favorite brand? It’s time I invest in a pair of new pair. As a side note man I don’t remember them being so expensive last time I bought a set.
Posted By: TTP

Re: Hip boots or chest waders? - 03/28/20 01:59 AM

Ive used both. Hip boots work best for me, if the waters too deep for them chances are I wouldn't be trapping there even if I had waders. Hip boots are cheaper and easier to work in. But that's just my opinion
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Hip boots or chest waders? - 03/28/20 02:33 AM

Every time you have hip boots on and squat just a little and fill one up you will say "Dang wish I had my waders on "

I used hip boots more setting dirt hole can squat on your knees and don't have to bend your back so much. No kneeling cloth required.
Posted By: billwhitakermo

Re: Hip boots or chest waders? - 03/28/20 02:35 AM

Lacrosse hip boots
Posted By: Hutchy

Re: Hip boots or chest waders? - 03/28/20 02:35 AM

I found waders always turn into hip boots by leaking at the crotch.

So I cut to the chase.and just buy hip boots. The lacrosse ones have lasted me.five seasons now
Posted By: Mac

Re: Hip boots or chest waders? - 03/28/20 01:33 PM

I wore hip boots for a lot of years and they work, but you have to watch yourself. It is real easy to think "I think I can step there".
As I got older I really started to like chest waders. I had the chest waders for fly fishing and tried them on the line. With chest waders I do not get wet if I bend down too low. I can kneel and reach that way back in blind mink set. If I step in a little deep, I don't get wet.
With chest waders you really need to be careful. It is easy to become careless. I make a rule that I will not go any deeper with chest waders than I could with hip boots.
Good luck.
Posted By: strike2x

Re: Hip boots or chest waders? - 03/28/20 01:44 PM

Some sets require waders where I trap but I prefer hip boots. I have ruined a few sets of waders by catching on sharp beaver sticks. I now only have hip boots and am learning to locate sets to accommodate. I feel it is sometimes easier to set the deep water. I will be waxed shopping soon. I won't buy cabellas guide series weeds again. 2 pairs ripped on what I thought should not have.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Hip boots or chest waders? - 03/28/20 01:45 PM

Hip boots and a walking stick
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Hip boots or chest waders? - 03/28/20 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by yote_trapper20
Which do you prefer and why? What is your favorite brand? It’s time I invest in a pair of new pair. As a side note man I don’t remember them being so expensive last time I bought a set.

Waders

Ive done the neoprene thing 4 times over

Last pair i bought was Gander mountain Canvas rubber waders ...yes expensive now
Posted By: mutt

Re: Hip boots or chest waders? - 03/28/20 02:14 PM

I don't make a preference on which to wear as I wear each for different conditions. Hip boots for whenever I think I would need to wear a knee high boots to get through the water, waders for anytime I would need hip boots to get through the water. I wear knee boots when dry or I when getting a wet foot isn't a game ender.

I got a pair of LaCross Swamp tuff waders last year that I really like. 3mm This is the first pair I bought in a stout size and I really like it. Not that I need the extra space up top, but they are just a tad shorter, I'm 5'10, regular waders always seemed a bit long to where I would have an extra wrinkle or 2. My previous pair of waders was 5mm, which was great for Nov.-March, but a bit warm the rest of the year.

My hip boots are frog toggs.rubber with a vinal upper. They work and were inexpensive, however I get a lot of condensation build up inside. Not so great when its cold out.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Hip boots or chest waders? - 03/28/20 02:22 PM

Hip boots for me work for about everything I need them for most of the time I just run rubber boots here. The creeks are often narrow and deep or shallow I can set up slide wires/slide poles pretty easy. Rats I prefer to do through the ice so the rubber boots work fine for that also.
Posted By: PAskinner

Re: Hip boots or chest waders? - 03/28/20 03:40 PM

Hip boots. If it's that deep I don't want to be in there... Because I know I'll take that one extra step into the mud, and sink away into the swamp.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Hip boots or chest waders? - 03/28/20 05:15 PM

Hip boots are much more versatile on the line.If its deeper than hip waders can handle,I toss in the sportspal.
Posted By: swift4me

Re: Hip boots or chest waders? - 03/28/20 05:35 PM

Lacrosse hip boots are great and I sold and used them for many years. But a wiser man than me once said that hip boots were a device to bring pond water up to body temperature.

Pete
© 2024 Trapperman Forums