Home

White perch run.

Posted By: mud

White perch run. - 03/30/20 01:19 AM

Didn’t have them in northern jersey. But it’s a good run down here. We’ve been enjoying them for about two weeks already. Today was a mix of males and females with none spawned out yet. Hoping for another trip or two yet. The catfish are already biting good and clamming has been great.

I suspect things will get a bit more dicey here in the next week or two but we won’t starve!

Attached picture C48ABE1A-7C57-43AA-86B5-4676C7BCF2B0.jpeg
Attached picture 8FA119B9-55A7-4C4D-91DB-098350F6C845.jpeg
Attached picture 62C3EF02-1420-48BD-8D68-0420D4BAE416.jpeg
Posted By: Michigander

Re: White perch run. - 03/30/20 01:25 AM

Nice catch.

It sure is interesting seeing what each part of the country targets. Most white perch around my area (western Lake Erie) get bounced off the bow and fed to the gulls. Invasive and considered trash. I have fried up a few and they seemed alright to me. How do you prepare them?

Re: White perch run. - 03/30/20 01:27 AM

Mostly fish fry. They’re pretty good. Females heavy in roe right now and while I’m not a fan of roe, I save them for guys at work.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: White perch run. - 03/30/20 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by Michigander
Nice catch.

It sure is interesting seeing what each part of the country targets. Most white perch around my area (western Lake Erie) get bounced off the bow and fed to the gulls. Invasive and considered trash. I have fried up a few and they seemed alright to me. How do you prepare them?

A lot of folks get silver bass confused for white perch.Silver bass are trash,,white perch are GOOD eating.
Posted By: ou812

Re: White perch run. - 03/30/20 01:41 AM

Interesting fish, didn't know there was a white perch. It's actually in the temperate bass family like the white and yelliw bass.
Posted By: mississippiposse

Re: White perch run. - 03/30/20 01:51 AM

I had to look it in my book. Here in Mo a white perch is a common name for freshwater drum. We don’t have your species. At least I don’t believe we do. Now we do have white bass which are fighters and good eating fried or baked. When I first saw the picture it looks similar to our white bass.
Posted By: forestman3

Re: White perch run. - 03/30/20 02:02 AM

What do you use for bait for them?We have them in the lake I think.

Re: White perch run. - 03/30/20 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by forestman3

These live in brackish water here. Pretty sure they thrive in the rivers that extend off the Chesapeake bay and Delaware bay. I’ve caught a couple on live minnows but the best baits are bloodworms or grass shrimp.
Posted By: jctunnelrat

Re: White perch run. - 03/30/20 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by Michigander
Nice catch.

I fish Lake Erie and if we start catching those fish we move to a new location. As for the "bow bounce", YES! smile
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: White perch run. - 03/30/20 03:06 AM

I have eaten white perch and white bass. Similar looking fish, perch run smaller, but taste much milder. Hard to beat on the table.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: White perch run. - 03/30/20 12:11 PM

Some excellent eating right there.
Posted By: OhioBoy

Re: White perch run. - 03/30/20 03:57 PM

We used to white bass fish every spring. Thats how I grew up camping and fishing. Fremont Ohio. I was known to miss the last week of school for the trip.

Later in life the guys from work chartered a walleye boat. First fish we caught was a white bass. The captain got upset, threw it back, and cussed it as a trash fish.

Everyone seemed to agree...

I thought man I'd be embarrassed if these guys knew how many coolers full of them things we hauled home as a kid. lol.

p.s. - yellow perch is my favorite eating fish. fresh fried yellow perch and onions in the fall with fresh garden tomatoes mmmm. Favorite meal of the year.
Posted By: Art S

Re: White perch run. - 03/30/20 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by forestman3

If you're talking Raystown , they're probably immature "wipers" and you don't want to get caught with a bucket full of them .
There may be white perch in there also , just make sure you know which is which .
© 2024 Trapperman Forums