Home

Northern are running

Posted By: BFP

Northern are running - 03/31/20 01:08 PM

Went to the creek yesterday, the northern are starting to run. I didn’t see any big mommas just 4-5 lb. males. They are sure fun to watch how they navigate the current.
Posted By: MnMan

Re: Northern are running - 03/31/20 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by BFP
Went to the creek yesterday, the northern are starting to run. I didn’t see any big mommas just 4-5 lb. males. They are sure fun to watch how they navigate the current.

I agree. They should start here pretty soon if they haven't already in some places. I really dig watching them too.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Northern are running - 03/31/20 06:30 PM

I have heard that pike swarm up creeks, but never seen it, because there are virtually no pike in my area. Does anyone have pictures of the pike spawning runs they can post? I would like to see it.

Keith
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Northern are running - 03/31/20 06:32 PM

Lakes are iced up here frost isn't out of the ground either shouldn't be much longer If the Gov. doesn't postpone fishing i'll find a 6 ft. pole and git out there
Posted By: TonawandaTrapper

Re: Northern are running - 03/31/20 06:36 PM

Whats everyone Favorite Lure For Pike?
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Northern are running - 03/31/20 07:17 PM

When I was a kid...a big treble hook.

Moosetrot
Posted By: FL cracker in AK

Re: Northern are running - 03/31/20 09:09 PM

Still having to use auger extensions to get through the ice up here. Good time of the year to be fishing though, it getting above freezing some days.
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: Northern are running - 03/31/20 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by TonawandaTrapper

Mepps 4 or 5. Mepps Giant Killer. 5 of diamonds dare devil. My biggest pike 43" came off a black and chrome Rattlin Rapala.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Northern are running - 03/31/20 09:18 PM

in the spring a frozen smelt and a big bobber at the mouth of the river ,
Posted By: FL cracker in AK

Re: Northern are running - 03/31/20 09:20 PM

7/8 ounce Pixie with bacon or pike gill on the hook.

Re: Northern are running - 03/31/20 10:58 PM

A friend of mine used hot dogs.
Posted By: Green Bay

Re: Northern are running - 03/31/20 11:28 PM

Not running here yet.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Northern are running - 03/31/20 11:32 PM

Pike will bite on almost any flashy lure.
I have caught them regularly on - williams wabbler,daredevel,beatle spin,with or without bait,rattlin rap and rapala minnow.
Gold williams wabbler is my favorite.
Posted By: BuckMink

Re: Northern are running - 03/31/20 11:38 PM

What lb test and type of line do you perfer?
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Northern are running - 03/31/20 11:43 PM

I like 20 lb. braid and a titanium leader, love fishing for pike! This virus mess is going to ruin my Canada trip I am afraid.
Posted By: Muskrat

Re: Northern are running - 04/01/20 10:25 AM

They might be running, wouldn't know, the river is up just a wee bit.

That's the top of the ramp . . .

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 160user

Re: Northern are running - 04/01/20 11:51 AM

A 5 tine vertical jigger is very effective.

[Linked Image]

Re: Northern are running - 04/01/20 11:55 AM

I have proven that I can catch them on a rock.I made this rock lure to prove it to my youngest son on a bet....I won.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 160user

Re: Northern are running - 04/01/20 12:06 PM

I believe that you are old enough to have watched that rock grow from a single grain of sand too.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Northern are running - 04/01/20 12:11 PM

When they're biting pike will hit almost anything. On one trip to the area around Pagwa, Ontario I tried catching pike on every lure in my tackle box during one outing and did it easily.

My go to is a one ounce Dardevle in red and white or the 5 of diamonds pattern. I have a few that the paint is all wore off from pike teeth. Don't see that happening with your rock lure MnMan!

Re: Northern are running - 04/01/20 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Lugnut
When they're biting pike will hit almost anything. On one trip to the area around Pagwa, Ontario I tried catching pike on every lure in my tackle box during one outing and did it easily.

My go to is a one ounce Dardevle in red and white or the 5 of diamonds pattern. I have a few that the paint is all wore off from pike teeth. Don't see that happening with your rock lure MnMan!

One of the stipulations on our bet was that I could not use any paint or spinners. I won ten bucks off of him and he lost his Husky Jerk he was casting when a Pike bit him off. He was not a happy camper after that. The bet started when I was giving him crap for spending all of his money on fancy lures and the Husky Jerk was one of them. I told him I could catch a Pike on a rock and then the fun started.
Posted By: slydogx

Re: Northern are running - 04/01/20 01:08 PM

We used to have a spearing season for them here (it was taken from us about 20 years ago). It was a whole lot of fun and you would always see groups of people running the ditches with pike spears. They would run the ditches here. It was cool to see a 30" plus fish running up an irrigation drain that was 6" wide in spots LOL.
The suckers would run at the same time and we would spear them as well.
We also used to spear them in Rondeau Provincial Park and if the water was high enough, you were spearing pike in flooded timber which was very cool.

I wish I had pictures from back then, but sadly I wasn't the type to carry a camera everywhere I went.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Northern are running - 04/01/20 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by MnMan
One of the stipulations on our bet was that I could not use any paint or spinners. I won ten bucks off of him and he lost his Husky Jerk he was casting when a Pike bit him off. He was not a happy camper after that. The bet started when I was giving him crap for spending all of his money on fancy lures and the Husky Jerk was one of them. I told him I could catch a Pike on a rock and then the fun started.

I think expensive, ultra-realistic lures catch more fishermen than fish.

Re: Northern are running - 04/01/20 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by MnMan

I have proven that I can catch them on a rock.I made this rock lure to prove it to my youngest son on a bet....I won.

[Linked Image]

That is hilarious!
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: Northern are running - 04/01/20 07:40 PM

Great story MnMan! I once was up in Ontario in early May when the pike were running up a river. I proved a point to myself by casting and catching a Northern on, literally, every single lure in my ample tacklebox. They will wallop about anything that moves, and lots of stuff that doesn't! There was a swamp on one end of the small lake I grew up on. It was great for wading for ducks. In the spring, right immediately after ice-out, it teamed with spawning pike. I was easily tempted as a young teen, and admit I lugged home the odd Northern fillet that was reduced to possession by means of either a .22 rifle or a push-hook. Hey, they shouldn't have published those stories about Lake Champlain pike shooting season held in Vermont!
Posted By: MJM

Re: Northern are running - 04/01/20 11:08 PM

Some of them are finished running.
[Linked Image]

Re: Northern are running - 04/01/20 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by MJM
Some of them are finished running.
[Linked Image]

And they are sooo good!

Re: Northern are running - 04/02/20 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by J.Morse
Great story MnMan! I once was up in Ontario in early May when the pike were running up a river. I proved a point to myself by casting and catching a Northern on, literally, every single lure in my ample tacklebox. They will wallop about anything that moves, and lots of stuff that doesn't! There was a swamp on one end of the small lake I grew up on. It was great for wading for ducks. In the spring, right immediately after ice-out, it teamed with spawning pike. I was easily tempted as a young teen, and admit I lugged home the odd Northern fillet that was reduced to possession by means of either a .22 rifle or a push-hook. Hey, they shouldn't have published those stories about Lake Champlain pike shooting season held in Vermont!

I have shot a few in my younger outlaw days as well..two in one shot by shooting right between them when they were right next to each other.

The really fun part about that bet with my kid was that I beat him two Pike to one when he was using the new (soon to be lost) Husky Jerk which is (was) a great lure, I might add. I rub it in every time we fish together and that was about 27 years ago. I carry it with when we fish tournaments together for good luck and to torment him.
Posted By: wheelers

Re: Northern are running - 04/02/20 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by 160user

A 5 tine vertical jigger is very effective.

[Linked Image]

Which one is you?
Posted By: MJM

Re: Northern are running - 04/02/20 12:53 AM

Pike predator

[Linked Image]

Re: Northern are running - 04/02/20 02:19 AM

He looks like he is good at spearing them...just does not display loads of enthusiasm. Probably has had more than his share to poke.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Northern are running - 04/02/20 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by BFP

A friend of mine used hot dogs.

my neighbor got several with tip-ups through the ice on hot dogs this year , said best year of northern fishing yet for him he is set on hotdogs.

Re: Northern are running - 04/02/20 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

my neighbor got several with tip-ups through the ice on hot dogs this year , said best year of northern fishing yet for him he is set on hotdogs.

How does he rig 'em?
Posted By: WIMarshRAT

Re: Northern are running - 04/02/20 03:53 PM

Here are a few videos of pike fishing with dogs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkzo9jGNNGk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPzNuDyUzU8

Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Northern are running - 04/02/20 07:28 PM

One spring I was trapping beaver in a channel that came off a large lake. I had to pull my traps early because I had set 5 330s. Two of them had spawning northerns in them. A CO gave me the job, as the previous fall homes along the channel were having problems with beaver. I sent photos to the CO so he could see why I pulled out early. He felt it was a good idea.

Re: Northern are running - 04/02/20 07:32 PM

we thread them on a smelt hook.

Re: Northern are running - 04/02/20 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by BFP
we thread them on a smelt hook.

This is something I've got to try next year. I was thinking a smelt hook and a windlass tipup on a day above freezing with a little wind. Would be good to experiment with "wings" on the hotdog to give it a gliding motion with the uplift by the windlass. Something to tinker with for sure.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Northern are running - 04/02/20 08:20 PM

Great pic 160
© 2024 Trapperman Forums