Home

Tractor shopping... need help

Posted By: beaverpeeler

Tractor shopping... need help - 04/01/20 06:08 PM

My ol' gas Massey Ferguson 135 has a rear seal leak and other issues so I'm looking to replace it. Main use will be berry crops. 35 to 45 HP is sufficient. Probably looking to buy new or nearly new so that I can finance it through a dealership. What do you guys like?
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: Tractor shopping... need help - 04/01/20 06:27 PM

You're going to get as many replies as there are brands. And all the suggestions are worth less than you're paying. ANY new tractor out there will do what you need it to. And ANY brand of tractor is going to have a lemon or something break down sooner than someone thinks it should. All you can do is choose a dealer that you trust. I know this isn't what you were looking for, but it's the truth. Personally, I'd put money into fixing up the 135.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Tractor shopping... need help - 04/01/20 06:40 PM

https://www.kubotausa.com/products/tractors/compact/l01
Posted By: warrior

Re: Tractor shopping... need help - 04/01/20 06:49 PM

The MF100 series has some popularity among those looking to restore old iron particularly as users so don't junk it.
Posted By: 080808

Re: Tractor shopping... need help - 04/01/20 07:07 PM

What M Magis said. Luck of the draw . 20 yr. ago I bought a 71 Ford 5000. Plow snow, haul logs, roto till food plot, use bucket for a variety of task. Regular oil changes, and a $90 rebuilt starter.
I’m happy.
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Tractor shopping... need help - 04/01/20 07:25 PM

I have no new ones. Guys I know that do, the ones that require a guy from dealer to come out and hook up their software, are barking pretty loud.
Using for berries do you mostly spray and cultivate, or? Just curious.

I agree with dealer you trust, good luck.

Re: Tractor shopping... need help - 04/01/20 07:36 PM

Yeah, some tillage and narrow enough to get between rows for flailing and spraying.

I have thought about fixing up the MF135 but would have about $6-7000 into it. Quite a few things wrong with it. I'm at the point where I don't have that kind of cash out of pocket for the repairs but I do have the credit to finance a new one.
Posted By: Co�s

Re: Tractor shopping... need help - 04/01/20 07:39 PM

Pretty hard to beat Kubota financing if your looking to buy new. I'm not crazy about the computer/emissions nonsense going on with new tractors, Kubota has a couple models in that size range that are still pretty bare bones.

I've got a 1988 2150 that we bought used a few years ago through a local Kubota dealership as a trade in.
Posted By: WhiteTrash 88

Re: Tractor shopping... need help - 04/01/20 08:48 PM

Kubota has nothing down and 0% financing. Play with their money. Have 2 of them. 35 horse and a 99 horse. Had them both about 4-5 years with zero problems.

Re: Tractor shopping... need help - 04/01/20 09:08 PM

The 2150 isn't big enough for my needs but maybe some of the larger compact or mid-sizes could. I know John Deere is also offering good financing packages right now as well.
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: Tractor shopping... need help - 04/01/20 09:24 PM

I wish you were closer ide love that fixer upper 135.
Posted By: Hydropillar

Re: Tractor shopping... need help - 04/01/20 09:32 PM

is your 135 gas or diesel?? had a 35 d growing up that thing would run a long day mowing hay and only use 5 gallons
Posted By: run

Re: Tractor shopping... need help - 04/01/20 10:23 PM

I love older Massey Ferguson tractors. I'm not an expert just a fan.
Posted By: Squash

Re: Tractor shopping... need help - 04/01/20 10:28 PM

Kubota, trouble free and hold their resale value.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Tractor shopping... need help - 04/01/20 10:43 PM

Kubota or New Holland.
Posted By: farmnhunt

Re: Tractor shopping... need help - 04/01/20 11:05 PM

I bought a John Deere because there is a dealer 11 miles from my farm. Easy to get parts and service, both of which you will eventually need. Buy from the dealer with the best service close to your place, regardless of brand.
Posted By: Zookeeper

Re: Tractor shopping... need help - 04/01/20 11:09 PM

Any are only as good as the dealer.. I still use a 1962 606 International, which does everything I ask it to.
Posted By: Eyehi

Re: Tractor shopping... need help - 04/01/20 11:14 PM

I bought a used new holland tc30 last summer .... Has been a nice machine for my needs ....

Re: Tractor shopping... need help - 04/02/20 01:37 AM

Anybody have any experience with Bransons? Dealer near me. But I also have JD and New Holland dealers near by.
Posted By: JoMiBru

Re: Tractor shopping... need help - 04/02/20 02:18 AM

I have a Kubota MX5100 and a John Deere 5310. Use the 5310 for loader work and small odds/ends. It’s MFWD, with the power reverser. Very nice tractor, tough and trouble free so far. The Kubota has a 6 ft bushog mower on it that we keep hooked up. It’s also a great tractor but the John Deere is a much better overall tractor. Better ride, built heavier, better hydraulics, just a better overall feel. Have had no problems with the Kubota, and it serves its purpose well, but I prefer the Deere. John Deere financial has good financing options right now. May be more pricey than the competitors, but well worth it in my opinion.

John
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Tractor shopping... need help - 04/02/20 02:33 AM

Has anyone ever said: My tractor has just too much horsepower! Nahhh, go up a hp size. Who are you buying it for anyhow?

I always had Ford tractors, then Ford-New Holland. Now New Holland. I am probably on my last 2 tractors, they will last the rest of my time. Both have loaders - A 35hp and a 70hp Turbocharged 😎. Wife says the 70 is a babe magnet but too bad because nobody sees it. I like to think it is possible.

I disagree that any brand or tractor will be fine. They can be very different and for different purposes. I would be very cautious buying used because there are way too many guys who should never be permitted near a tractor who run them terribly and the tractor takes a beating, so they trade it in!

Get the largest/heaviest body size in your hp for mass and momentum. Then get the largest hp in the body size - see how that keeps you going up? Load the rears. I have beet juice in the 35hp and windshield washer fluid in the 70. I wanted the extra density to offset the loader. I switched the front wheels left for right and mounted inside out for a bit more width and stability. Rears are not adjustable = 60” wide front and rear. On the 70hp I had them adjust front and rears so the outside edges are the same at 80”. This gives excellent stability with the rears filled 55%. I need the center of gravity low for mowing a lake dam. The brush hog is 84” and i get excellent coverage of the tire tracks.

if you get a loader, be sure it has the skidsteer loader quick attach for other buckets and pallet forks.

Definitely look at 4wd and check out the new R14 hybrid tires. I have industrial tires on the 35hp and they are fine in the summer, good on lawn, good not great in mud, but lousy in snow. I will get a set of chains for the rear. Agricultural tires on the big one.
Posted By: fix it mike

Re: Tractor shopping... need help - 04/02/20 03:10 AM

I have a massy 135 great tractor with power steering and live power. Perkins engine and gas 3 cyl
Posted By: fix it mike

Re: Tractor shopping... need help - 04/02/20 03:12 AM

We have sold branson tractors for ten years no complaints except the price keeps going up
Posted By: RockCrick

Re: Tractor shopping... need help - 04/02/20 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
Anybody have any experience with Bransons? Dealer near me. But I also have JD and New Holland dealers near by.

I have a 24 horse Branson. Pretty happy with it, price for the HP it’s hard to beat
, $13,200 brand new from Trailer World, probably the same dealer you are talking about. They make bigger models but I didn’t need anything bigger. It pushes over 8 inch trees, root wad and all. I even dug a 30x30 stock pond with the front end loader in about 4 hours. You probably won’t get 0% financing like you will with other brands but the equivalent JD was almost 20k so a little interest and you still come out ahead. My only complaint is that it’s a little light and easy to spin out with on gravel when pushing on something. 6 year power train warranty. 2 year B to B and no fancy electronics. The engine is a cummins just not branded by them. Reminds me of the old kubotas in design, easy to maintain, and so simple not much can go wrong. I don’t have many hours on it so can’t speak to longevity but I’ve not heard many complaints.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Tractor shopping... need help - 04/02/20 04:36 AM

Man I’d love to have that old Massey. Any chance you’ll be headed up my way over the summer?
Posted By: H2ORat

Re: Tractor shopping... need help - 04/02/20 04:37 AM

I definately vote for Kubota, and i used to work for a deere dealership.
Posted By: hillbillyjake

Re: Tractor shopping... need help - 04/02/20 09:33 AM

My FIL has a Branson. 4020 I believe. It served him well. He's had a few minor issues with it, but it was operator error. He's going on about 6 years with it now and hasn't broken it in half. He generally treats it like a rented dozer so I think a Branson would hold up well under normal conditions.
Posted By: Abu65

Re: Tractor shopping... need help - 04/02/20 10:30 AM

I would choose a brand name dealer that is closest to me. JD, Kubota etc.If all within the same reasonable distance I would shop the best deal including intrest rates.

Re: Tractor shopping... need help - 04/02/20 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Hydropillar
is your 135 gas or diesel?? had a 35 d growing up that thing would run a long day mowing hay and only use 5 gallons

It's a gas, can't you read? Lol.
Posted By: Animals Only

Re: Tractor shopping... need help - 04/02/20 11:41 AM

I have a Kubota L3240. Great tractor.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Tractor shopping... need help - 04/02/20 11:46 AM

i just sold a 35 horse kubota cause it was either too big,or not big enough.

was a tippy sun bum--

disclaimer--i have others
Posted By: TreedaBlackdog

Re: Tractor shopping... need help - 04/02/20 12:58 PM

Personally, I would steer clear of Branson. Only becaue it does not have a 30 year history with proven results. I expect at least 30 years from a tractor and expect the dealer to still be around. I have Ford and John Deere. Around here you could buy another MF135 for 6-7000. Massey parts should still be around. Have you found a small tractor shop or mechanic around and actually asked them what it would take to fix it?

Things I look for - reliability, proven history value in 20 years,ease of repair, dealer support within 50 miles, common issues, a diesel, no plastic

Re: Tractor shopping... need help - 04/02/20 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by TreedaBlackdog
Personally, I would steer clear of Branson. Only becaue it does not have a 30 year history with proven results. I expect at least 30 years from a tractor and expect the dealer to still be around. I have Ford and John Deere. Around here you could buy another MF135 for 6-7000. Massey parts should still be around. Have you found a small tractor shop or mechanic around and actually asked them what it would take to fix it?

Things I look for - reliability, proven history value in 20 years,ease of repair, dealer support within 50 miles, common issues, a diesel, no plastic

The Branson name has only been around for 22 years, but they've been making tractors a lot longer. The parent company still supplies engines to Cummins and tractors to Deere. I've never owned one or even seen one, but they're far from a "new" tractor company. But as with any brand, dealer support is key.
Posted By: pintail_drake04

Re: Tractor shopping... need help - 04/02/20 02:42 PM

When I was looking for a tractor I got one that my Ag Mechanic would work on. I even took him with me on the 1.5hr trip to get it so he could look it over first. There are Kabota and other dealers in the area that offer good financing and deals, but he works for John Deere lives literally 2 miles down the road from me. That was a big factor in buying a Deere, because of who I plan on having work on my equipment when/if something needs fixed.

Re: Tractor shopping... need help - 04/02/20 03:59 PM

I have a brother who has a compact Mahindra and it has broke down twice with major repair issues. So that is one brand I'm definitely steering clear of.

The new Holland dealership is just 7 miles away but it is a fairly new dealership. The sales guy says they have 3 top grade A techs in the service dept.
The Branson dealership is held by a long time outfit called "The Tractor Store". I know the folks there and bought my first tractor from them about 34 years ago; a used International B414. However, whenever I have anything to get worked on these days they are always 6 weeks out because they don't have enough techs.

I haven't looked closely at Kubotas yet, but I loaned a piece of farm equipment to a neighbor with one and his three point hitch didn't have arms long enough to hook up very well with it. And it was a mid-size tractor!
Posted By: Ranger109

Re: Tractor shopping... need help - 04/02/20 06:18 PM

I bought a JD 5045E 4x4 with the 513 loader, 6' mower, and a 6' roto-tiller last spring. So far I love it, besides, how many country songs have you ever heard about driving my big orange tractor??

Re: Tractor shopping... need help - 04/02/20 06:31 PM

What is the parent company of Branson tractors? I have heard of them......thats about it.

Re: Tractor shopping... need help - 04/02/20 06:35 PM

I looked them up - Branson tractors is a distributor company. A branded name - not made in a Branson factory. Made in South Korea. I used their website and searched for dealers - 0 found. From Kansas City to Columbia Missouri - distance over 120 miles - I will skip this brand.

Re: Tractor shopping... need help - 04/02/20 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by pcr2

was a tippy sun bum--

Dad has a L3400. I've always thought the same thing about it. Plenty of power but needs to be 3' wider and 4' longer
Posted By: 3togo

Re: Tractor shopping... need help - 04/02/20 10:06 PM

Dealer within reasonable distance should be considered. And unless I misunderstand from my John Deere friend, all of the smaller tractors are manufactured in India. He has a smaller 4wd (35-45hp range) diesel, seems to be ok.

Re: Tractor shopping... need help - 04/03/20 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by hillbillyjake
Originally Posted by pcr2

was a tippy sun bum--

Dad has a L3400. I've always thought the same thing about it. Plenty of power but needs to be 3' wider and 4' longer

When you're trying to work in grapes and blueberries narrow is an advantage.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Tractor shopping... need help - 04/03/20 01:41 AM

Kubota or New Holland, IMO, from a good dealer that supports you after the sale, all of them do not
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Tractor shopping... need help - 04/03/20 01:47 AM

Peeler - normally the New Holland mechanics are busy working on other brand stuff thar is traded in for NH tractors.

6 weeks out for repair is normal for tractors purchased used or elsewhere. That changes at most dealers when you buy a NEW tractor from them. Normal is no waiting. In right away, especially if you can haul in.

If you want the tractor routine maintenance done by the dealer, schedule it for February. Many dealers have discounted pickup and delivery and parts and service at that time.

If you get a loader and want BRIGHT LED lighting, look at Rops Lights. The guy makes low amp draw kits for brand specific applications. I have them on 2 New Holland tractors and my Scag zero turn mower.

Discuss with the dealer your uses and terrain for ballasting. A product called Rim-Guard is liquid ballast for in tires. It is made from sugar beets so is a purple color. It is about 20% more dense than water or other liquids. Non-toxic to soil and plants if your tire is cut. It does not rot out tubes, tires, and rims like calcium chloride of old days.

Another consideration is if your implements will work on a new tractor. Your standard size tractor has much lift for the 3 point arms. Compact tractors may have much less. Also compact tractors may not control a larger implement.

Sub compact tractors are toys best left alone. They are too small and unstable for any real use. Especially the tractors with a loader, belly mower, and rear excavator all mounted at the same time. All that powered by maybe a 15hp engine.

Also the same horsepower in a diesel tractor will feel more powerful than the same horsepower in a gas tractor. Plus all equal, the diesel will use less fuel. Off-road diesel is usually cheaper than on-road diesel and even gasoline.

Ask the dealer about non-current inventory. There may be a tractor that is 1-2 years old that will have a very substantial discount.

Best wishes.

Re: Tractor shopping... need help - 04/03/20 02:03 AM

Lots of good advice on this thread.

Re: Tractor shopping... need help - 04/03/20 02:03 AM

Thanks Willy, good stuff there.

Re: Tractor shopping... need help - 04/03/20 08:51 AM

@beaverpeeler. I'll agree with you on that. But when your brush hogging in wv there is 3 things I like. Wide, long, and heavy.

Also to add. I've always thought that Kioti looked interesting as an off brand. I have a dealer close and they don't look to bad. No first hand knowledge, though.

Re: Tractor shopping... need help - 04/03/20 10:42 AM

@beaverpeeler. I'll agree with you on that. But when your brush hogging in wv there is 3 things I like. Wide, long, and heavy.

Also to add. I've always thought that Kioti looked interesting as an off brand. I have a dealer close and they don't look to bad. No first hand knowledge, though.

Kioti has a very good reputation, though I've never used one myself.

Re: Tractor shopping... need help - 04/03/20 10:50 AM

Our MF 274 is long and heavy.
Posted By: ozark trapper ia

Re: Tractor shopping... need help - 04/03/20 04:54 PM

I bought a 1736 massy ferguson new a year ago December. 36 hp front wheel assist, loader, shuttle shift. Just hit 135 hrs today. I tried out Kubota new Holland and Mahindra and likrd this one the best. Has a Mitsubishi motor and Japanese made. Might want to check the new massies out..
© 2024 Trapperman Forums