Home

Drone use for trapping

Posted By: GoGitter

Drone use for trapping - 04/03/20 02:09 AM

Do any of you use a drone to search swamps and waterways for beaver sign? I've never played with a drone but just stumbled across the idea while surfing youtube. It got me thinking maybe a drone could be helpful. What kind of drone do you have, you high tech rednecks?
Posted By: Michael Lippold

Re: Drone use for trapping - 04/03/20 02:13 AM

I’ve never used one but I read an article that Tracy Truman(Lazarus)wrote about using them to scout. Seemed like in certain circumstances it would be quite handy
Posted By: beaverpeeler

I wonder if it is legal in your state? If you construe trapping to be hunting it is illegal here in Oregon.
Posted By: Leftlane

I've had ranch tours in helicopters so I'd think they would work west for wide open spaces at least. Especially if you were wanting to highlight some travel ways before you went over the cattle guards
Posted By: Boco

Re: Drone use for trapping - 04/03/20 02:15 AM

Did a lot of aerial beaver surveys over the years,but never with a drone.
Posted By: Art S

Re: Drone use for trapping - 04/03/20 02:16 AM

Got to love the irony of someone going by the name" Gogitter " asking about an easier way . laugh

They would work good for scouting .imo

Re: Drone use for trapping - 04/03/20 02:17 AM

I'm not as young as I used to be Art! My wife says work smarter, not harder!
Posted By: Art S

Re: Drone use for trapping - 04/03/20 02:19 AM

Lol right there with you .
Posted By: Mike N.

Re: Drone use for trapping - 04/03/20 02:49 AM

I would think they would come in handy to check traps that are a good hike into where you can't drive. If legal of course...
Posted By: Greg / MO

Re: Drone use for trapping - 04/03/20 03:15 AM

I bought one to add a different dimension to the videos we're starting to make for our YouTube channel... but I did use it one especially cold morning to check a small line from the truck instead of having to unload the 4-wheeler. smile Check out the opening scene in our intro video in the link in my signature line... they can definitely produce some awesome footage!

Re: Drone use for trapping - 04/03/20 10:50 AM

Pretty cool Greg! What kind do you have and is it easy to learn to use?
Posted By: bandy

Re: Drone use for trapping - 04/03/20 12:17 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
This is the last beaver pond I trapped took 8 beaver and 2 otters the owner pulled down the dam the week before we got there. The pond had been there for 15 years the drone helped by knowing what traps to carry in where.
Posted By: scalloper

Re: Drone use for trapping - 04/03/20 12:43 PM

I think its a great idea and thought about using mine for just that in the future.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Drone use for trapping - 04/03/20 12:48 PM

many of us use Google Earth before ever leaving the house.
Posted By: Hern

Re: Drone use for trapping - 04/03/20 01:18 PM

Several years ago, I was ask to take out problem Beaver.
Nephew came along to scout and brought his drone.
What a time saver and I didn't have to walk far to confirm two dams and how much equipment to carry.
We didn't have to tramp around, disturbing things while scouting. Only time I used a drone. I saw the benefits with drone and scouting.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Drone use for trapping - 04/03/20 03:05 PM

I know a beaver trapper who flies his drone down every ditch looking for beaver dams before he even puts on his waders. He tells me he won't trap beaver without flying the area first. Know I don't know If It's legal or not but It's not my problem.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Drone use for trapping - 04/03/20 03:13 PM

I can understand where using a drone to hunt deer or similar animals would be illegal when it comes to fair chase. But, using a drone to look for beaver activity is different, IMO. But, just because I don't think it should be illegal doesn't mean it isn't.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Drone use for trapping - 04/03/20 04:29 PM

I know here in MN you can't use one to check your traps but not sure about scouting. I don't see how it couldn't be legal for scouting but agrwith Trapper7.
Posted By: ToTheWoods

Re: Drone use for trapping - 04/03/20 04:51 PM

Wisconsin just says that you can't use for hunting. Scouting or looking at potential area to hunt/trap in the future is no problem. I have used mine many times for this reason. Scouting a duck pond that is a hefty walk back to see if it's being used. Flying hard to reach river bottoms or deep public land to see what changes have occurred such as logging, wind storm damage. Certain times of the year you can see trails, escape routes in real time that may or may not be different from the google maps. If you hunt the same day you scouted that's when the legality comes into play. At least that is our wardens take on it.
Posted By: trapper4002

Re: Drone use for trapping - 04/03/20 05:44 PM

If your using a drone for damage control you would need a Part 107 license to legally fly the drone because your being compensated. might even be iffy using it for a regular trapline because you well the furs. I can't legally fly my drones to take pictures of my dads farm fields for him because its considered commercial even if I don't make money because it is helping his business
Posted By: trapper4002

Re: Drone use for trapping - 04/03/20 05:45 PM

Government overreach again
Posted By: garymc

Re: Drone use for trapping - 04/03/20 05:49 PM

I have a Mavic Mini. I have been really pleased with it. I can see where it would be a good scouting tool and a nice check tool where legal. It takes some practice and if the winds approach 20 MPH+ with the Mavic Mini fly at you own risk because it can get hairy. The same with snow/rain. I can do both still pictures and video. Mavic offers insurance I think it was around $40 and it would replace the drone twice a year in the event you would crash it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Drakej

Re: Drone use for trapping - 04/03/20 06:35 PM

I've used my sons to preseason scout those heavy cattail ponds that are a pain to access by water or wade to inventory houses built that can't be seen from ground level - what a time/effort saver! Can't see how it could be illegal as most electronic use laws are "prohibited in the taking of game", not getting an aerial view of landscape. Of coarse the M'rat pop in our area has crashed about 95% now(not related to trapping or drone use) so last fall out of several dozen waters checked only a hand full of houses found. Also tried it to confirm possible otter crossing locations found on goggle earth but having checked a few that didn't show from the air on foot I did find good ones hidden under cover.
Posted By: Jumperzee

Re: Drone use for trapping - 04/03/20 08:21 PM

I did some pretty extensive field testing of a Mavik Pro Platinum this year on the trapline. They are a great and fun tool to rapidly scout an area, with a few limitations. Depending on terrain, tree heights and your skill level, getting tight-in imagery (e.g. for trap checking) can be difficult. Few other things I learned:

- Buy the extra insurance/replacement plan. It's worth it. I've crashed mine more than I care to admit and for $90 "handling fee" I got a new one. It doesn't take much to make one stop flying and although they're pretty durable you have to have the crashed one in order to get the replacement. (Something to think about if flying over water)

- They don't save a whole lot of time for trap checking. They're fragile enough you can't have them bouncing around your pickup all day. By the time you set up the machine and your device(phone/tablet) on the controller, launch, acquire home point, fly back, put away safely, etc., etc it adds up. Again, they'll cover a whole lotta ground fast for scouting big areas, but a whole bunch of short range flights take time.

- Limited to good flight days - not many during our trapping season! So you'll have to hike in regardless some (most days). Open country or consistent nice weather would obviously change this.

- Need a good launch/recover place free from metal (magnetic interference). Rotor blades are pretty close to the ground and grass, snow won't work. The launch pad mats might be worth it depending on your situation, but it's one more thing.

Recommend a decent system to keep it safe/organized (drone, not the cow head):
[Linked Image]

Portable launch platform - trap bin!
[Linked Image]

Dropping down thru the trees is a challenge. Can get a lot of signal interference too. Had some wolf traps down around this meadow.
[Linked Image]

Crashes happen! Had to use a canoe to get it back this time. Some broken blades, but otherwise undamaged.
[Linked Image]

Can get some cool pics and footage though. Here's what happens when you're a doomas and try to drive the truck and fly the drone at the same time. Stuck!
[Linked Image]

Here's some messing around the house:

Posted By: Greg / MO

Re: Drone use for trapping - 04/03/20 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by GoGitter
Pretty cool Greg! What kind do you have and is it easy to learn to use?

I have a DJI Mavic Air... and yes, it's SUPER easy to learn!

It's weird because the more expensive drones are WAY easier to fly than the $100 4" cheapies I used to play with … the technology is amazing, and it uses GPS satellites to help it hover and position itself. If you get in trouble, you can just let go of the sticks and it'll hover in place -- not crash wildly like the little toys. do.
Posted By: Lazarus

Re: Drone use for trapping - 04/03/20 08:33 PM

I have the Mavic Zoom so I have a 4-6 power lens to zoom in on things. I literally zoom in on my trap pan to tell if the trap is set or not. Saves lots of crashes as well. Incredible images and clarity. Saves tons of miles and hours. Not for everyone but until you start flying one, you probably won't believe what they will do and how you could use one.

Re: Drone use for trapping - 04/03/20 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Lazarus
I have the Mavic Zoom so I have a 4-6 power lens to zoom in on things. I literally zoom in on my trap pan to tell if the trap is set or not. Saves lots of crashes as well. Incredible images and clarity. Saves tons of miles and hours. Not for everyone but until you start flying one, you probably won't believe what they will do and how you could use one.

If I had to do it over again I'd go with the zoom for these reasons.
Posted By: Trapper Don

Re: Drone use for trapping - 04/03/20 09:08 PM

I added a drone to our beaver control business about 4 years ago. I can check culverts on rail lines without crossing the tracks. I do flood control dam inspections with it. We check the impoundment area behind dams for beaver activity. Saves dragging a canoe off the truck each time. We have 28 chronic sites to check 4 times a ear. Power companies and pipelines prefer contractors not drive into wetlands. Use to inspect right of ways by utv with tracks fir smaller footprint. Now i get close then shoot hd video of the whole area. Then check on computer later. Can check traps across a pond and save time. We checked out legal status in MA,CT &NH all legal. I do have a commercialization drine operator lic. We carry a million dollar ins. Policy.
Saves time so charge additional fee. Companies live the photos in reports
Don LaFountain
Posted By: danvee

Re: Drone use for trapping - 04/03/20 09:54 PM

How do they work in the wind 15mph

Re: Drone use for trapping - 04/03/20 11:50 PM

15 mph would be my drones top wind speed. I would suggest starting flying into the wind so when your battery is low your not fighting the wind. In a cross wind of 15mph only fly short flights, it will be fighting it full flight.

Re: Drone use for trapping - 04/04/20 12:51 AM

Then it's settled, I'm getting one! Technology is unbelievable these days.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Drone use for trapping - 04/04/20 01:17 AM

I found a drone while checking traps two years ago. High end model, undamaged. Got the memory card out of it, watched it on my computer. Was able to see where it took off from....recognized the house and got it back to the owner.

Re: Drone use for trapping - 04/04/20 02:45 AM

That's cool Bigbrownie. Super nice of you to do that.
Posted By: BuckMink

Re: Drone use for trapping - 04/04/20 02:59 PM

which is the better one maverick air or zoom? have my commercial but still havn't bit the bullet.

Re: Drone use for trapping - 04/04/20 03:04 PM

How long and how far can they fly?

Re: Drone use for trapping - 04/04/20 09:14 PM

Depending on model. Flight time is about 15 to 25 minutes on cheaper models.
Distance is in US. Line or sight. How far can you see? Must be able to see it at all times. Drones can fly miles. My old one can fly about a mile no problem. It can transmit video to my monitor at that distance.
In the future it will be legal to set way points and send it on its way. It will fly the course, take video the return to starting point, land and shut its self off. If drones today loos contact with the controller, they return to start point and land. Very cool to see.
Hope this helps
Don LaFountain

Re: Drone use for trapping - 04/05/20 12:20 AM

Yep,thanks.

Re: Drone use for trapping - 04/05/20 12:56 AM

I trap beaver full time year round. Getting paid for what you know, not the catch.
Drone just another tool in the box. I suggest charging your regular hourly fee to fly. You give client photos of their site. If just for regular trapping think increasing your catch decreasing time at site. You can do more locations in less time.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums