Home

Talked to the mayor..(Story Time) UpDate!

Posted By: Macthediver

Talked to the mayor..(Story Time) UpDate! - 04/04/20 02:37 PM

Everyone know we are under a stay at home advisory Covid-19 lock down..Ok.. City hall is closed only doing certain hours with certain people working. I get it..
Here in our city they have what is called City Yard Waste drop site...Usually opens April 1..With everyone being on stay at home limit travel people want to get out do yard work. Weather been pretty decent so I've been out doing spring yard, garden clean up..
Was fixing to rake some leaves haul some brush to city drop site. But of course when I check web site it says do to covid-19 closed until further notice.
Kinda set bad with me..There is usually only one person works at that site. He writes down your license plate number may or may not look to see your not dropping anything illegal..Brush goes in one place, leaves, grass in another. It's not rocket science..
So I call the yard waste number and of course get a machine. That too didn't set well with me. So I called my alderman and to my surprise he answered.. Had a nice little chat with him didn't get nasty but told him pretty much what I thought about it all.. He said he talks with or see mayor almost daily would voice my concern. I figure yeah ok right! Then on noon news they report.."City is asking people to please store their yard waste at home until further notice...What!
Late in day phone rings check caller ID and is my alderman....Huh.
He said he talked to the mayor and they are trying to figure something out for yard waste.. but concerned about employees and contact..Said they were thinking of doing some neighbor hood drop sites.. I'm like they said on noon news hour after I talked to you City asking residents to hold their yard waste.. He says wish I could say I got that info out that fast but I didn't talk to mayor myself until late afternoon?? OK Again nice civilized chat I thanked him. He did say I should call Mayor myself..This was Thursday evening..

So Friday morning 9am I call mayors office and of course get a machine.. Left a message wanted to talk about yard waste could please call me back. 20 or 30 minutes later phone rings ID says city number so I answer it. Turns out is city Yard Waste Manager gal..First thing I ask her is. So mayor has Secretary screen his calls and this got pasted to you huh..I called the Mayor..She say yes kinda works that way sometimes..So I go over whole thing with her. She says yep they are concerned about people being out moving around want to have people stay home.. I'm like you got one guy there doesn't even have to talk to anyone get with in 6ft.. yes but people who unload tend to stand around visit with each other..Also said when they didn't have a person monitoring was to much illegal or improper things dumped..
Once again we had a nice chat and when I told her I was a retired Fire Fighter. The conversation changed some and we had each other laughing..I ask how they were doing with it all she said things were goofy..The city has all their people split up spread out working different shifts. Trying to give workers ability to work but not drag something home to family.. I get that.. I told her they just need to make sure all six street worker don't lean on same shovel.. Isn't that what they always get accused of..
We chatted a bit more and I left her with.. Tell the mayor I said he is a chicken for passing this call to you..She said well secretary is the one sorted it out. I said yes I know that. But you tell him I said that anyway..we both laughed..and of course I'm still not getting a place to dump my leaves and brush. I actually had nice chat with her though about lots things, stupid city things.

Fast forward later in day phone rings I look at ID City Of LaCrosse...Huh? so I answer it and it's the mayor..First thing I ask is Oh! did the girls tell you I said you was a chicken if ya didn't call me back?? So you calling me??
Thought my wife was going drop over when I said that..
Mayor is like aahahaha what?? ..So we have same discussion again that I had with alderman and yard waste lady..Mayor gave me same standard song dance line.. I'm like I get all that been there done it..Said I understand what your trying to do..But your not going to control every one. Why punish people that can do it right.. and you don't need to try be everyone's Nanny...So we close out conversation with him using the same old line about we're trying to figure it out for folks.. I thank him for his time said appreciated him calling me back, said good bye..
I said a lot more to him than I can type here but this is the high lights. I never got nasty with him or the others I talked with.. My wife was listen in though and says to me.. Geeze should you be talking to Mayor that way saying that stuff??
Me! Ya Think?
I don't work for him he works for me..to dang many people seem to forget that.. Yes them people are supposed to be running things.. But they do it for us we are their boss not other way around.. I never got nasty with the guy said any thing personally insulting, just told the man what I thought..How didn't see that site as big issue infecting people..Nothing wrong with me saying what I said. Didn't call him a Nanny told him didn't need to act like one and I didn't need one..Big difference..Told wife he maybe mayor but no different for me than talking to any other man.
So guess we'll see. Probably won't be much happens unless others been bugging him too..But I had my say..

Mac
Posted By: run

Re: Talked to the mayor..(Story Time) - 04/04/20 02:41 PM

The convenience trash/ recycling centers are shut down. But the big landfill is still open for me.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Talked to the mayor..(Story Time) - 04/04/20 02:42 PM

Maybe just keep the leaves home. Likely it's not worth getting worked up about. I suspect the mayor has more to worry about right now than yard waste.
Posted By: run

Re: Talked to the mayor..(Story Time) - 04/04/20 02:44 PM

Make some compost. I got a bunch of plastic jugs to get rid of.
Posted By: headache73

Re: Talked to the mayor..(Story Time) - 04/04/20 02:50 PM

I work for the street department in our town. There's 6 of us on the crew lol. I've heard all the shovel jokes, just made me laugh the way you hit the nail on the head

Re: Talked to the mayor..(Story Time) - 04/04/20 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by AJE
Just keep the leaves home. Not worth getting worked up about. The mayor has more to worry about right now than yard waste.

I'm not getting all worked up,,but I know how city works and how they do things. Also know how others people do things. Before this lock down started the city and health people were all on news. Yammering about people dumping needles all over the place city parks etc... How they got drop boxes around town, please please use them. yeah like the druggies drop them needles going to use them.

So the people like my self will keep yard waste crap in their yard. I'll move mine two 3 times instead loading moving once..Then there will be the ones start dumping crap at boat landing. In the ditch back edge of the park, parking lot by one trial heads..Is some that do it now even when the place they can take it is open..

Just not any real reason to keep this site closed even if few dump things not supposed to.. isn't that better than having it in ditch by boat land..Which was part of the conversation I left off my post. That I had with them folks when I talked with them..

Mac
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Talked to the mayor..(Story Time) - 04/04/20 03:00 PM

You all in LaCrosse must be overly friendly to stand around and talk after dropping off your yard waste. That never happens when I drop the Christmas tree off, but then again its the first week of Jan. and usually a bit chilly to slack jaw around. I think this year I dropped it off the last Sat they were open. No one manning the booth, no other person there, although I did see another car come in while I was leaving. Took my tree bag off and through the snag on the pile. In and out in 60 seconds or so.

What I've seen with bureaucrats is that they are massively risk adverse. Almost all of us at work have been banished from our federal center. They say its for "our" health but the first things in their recent e-mails is how someone who tested positive came into the national hq and they had to close it down to all employees for 3 days, disinfect, blah blah, blah blah. So, basically these middle level bureaucrats don't want to be the one holding the bag if someone brought the v into their facility. Its the facility's "health" not really ours that they're worried about. I told my boss that eventually the v will get everywhere so trying to do this accounting of who and where it happened is going to get obsolete. But nothing warms a bureaucrat's heart more than to fill out multiple forms, it shows that they're doing "something"...

Re: Talked to the mayor..(Story Time) - 04/06/20 01:55 PM

Well must have been more people than myself bent mayors ear.. Yard waste site opens today under limited hours..Guess maybe they realized people going to be dumping crap at boat landings, parks, burning things in their yards....
Guess maybe woke them up when smelled the leaves burning around town.

Mac
Posted By: TraderVic

Re: Talked to the mayor..(Story Time) - 04/06/20 02:09 PM

What's that old saying Mac, "squeeky wheel gets the grease" laugh

Sounds like you are now greased.. cool
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Talked to the mayor..(Story Time) - 04/06/20 02:19 PM

They have delayed opening our transfer site for a month, we can drop of leaf's because they are just put in a large pile.
Posted By: harleydparts

Re: Talked to the mayor..(Story Time) - 04/06/20 02:25 PM

Why didn't you just burn the leaves?
Posted By: tlguy

Re: Talked to the mayor..(Story Time) - 04/06/20 02:28 PM

If they're worried about people congregating, they should open it more hours, not less. Now you'll have the same number of people there, condensed into a shorter time frame.
Posted By: k snow

Re: Talked to the mayor..(Story Time) - 04/06/20 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by TraderVic
What's that old saying Mac, "squeeky wheel gets the grease" laugh

Sounds like you are now greased.. cool

Some times, not in this case, I wish the squeaky wheel would get replaced.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Talked to the mayor..(Story Time) - 04/06/20 02:50 PM

our yard waste site they just opened the gates and put a security camera on it

some idiot dropped off a couch last week , the police posted on the city face book page that if the person who dropped off the couch please come remove it . people asked about the couch , the police said oh we know who dropped it off we are giving them a chance to correct it before we have to charge them for removing it and give them the citation.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Talked to the mayor..(Story Time) - 04/06/20 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by harleydparts

city ordinance against it , makes awful air quality when your sitting in a river valley.

they would show up to write the ticket , even if the yard wast drop off isn't open

Re: Talked to the mayor..(Story Time) - 04/06/20 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
Originally Posted by harleydparts

city ordinance against it , makes awful air quality when your sitting in a river valley.

they would show up to write the ticket , even if the yard wast drop off isn't open

Yep was part what I told the them folks when I was talking to them on phone. I had already seen several folks burning things and I wasn't going to rat them out..Nieghbor two houses over burning leaves and stuff two days in a row.. I could care less just got to play dumb first time they come stop ya and will just get a warning..
Back in old days before all fire safety air quality stuff. Was just a thing everyone did. Burn Fall and Spring clean up leaves brsuh.. Now got to have a permit to even burn a regular fire pit.

I took my first small load brush down this morning. Place was aready open couple hours and there was still a line of probably 20 or more cars waiting to go in. I had on just brush this trip so didn't get hung up on leaf grass clipping lines. They have 4 large compactors that gets dumped in then is truck to a farm out of town to be composted..So Moosetrot gets to smell that when winds right LOL

Here what line looked like going in leaf area..

[Linked Image]

line still there when I'm going out

[Linked Image]

Mac
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Talked to the mayor..(Story Time) - 04/06/20 05:35 PM

Little town I live in everybody knows everybody. You just ask the mayor or the city clerk to unlock the burn area right outside of town. Go dump your brush and leaves and lock the gate. If something shows up that isnt supposed to they know who was in there last. We can have open fire in the yard also. Neighbors getting together to grill steak and hot dogs or burn leaves or whatever in the road ditch.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums