Home

Checking float from window

Posted By: MnMan

Checking float from window - 04/07/20 03:05 PM

Being bored again yesterday I decided to put my one float out in front of my house since the ice had receded about 30 feet most of the way around the lake. I was not expecting much this soon but eventually it produces.

[Linked Image]

So when I looked out the window in the fog this morning I saw this: (trap gone)

[Linked Image]

I walked out to check it figuring maybe a muskrat had fired it:

[Linked Image]

This concludes my morning entertainment .

[Linked Image]
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Checking float from window - 04/07/20 03:06 PM

cool grin
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Checking float from window - 04/07/20 03:44 PM

Great entertainment!!!
Posted By: soupy1

Re: Checking float from window - 04/07/20 04:24 PM

That's pretty awesome
Posted By: Tom cat

Re: Checking float from window - 04/07/20 04:29 PM

Heck yeah!!!
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Checking float from window - 04/07/20 04:33 PM

Nice! I’d be excited!
Posted By: walleyed

Re: Checking float from window - 04/07/20 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by MnMan
Being bored again yesterday I decided to put my one float out in front of my house since the ice had receded about 30 feet most of the way around the lake. I was not expecting much this soon but eventually it produces.

[Linked Image]

So when I looked out the window in the fog this morning I saw this: (trap gone)

[Linked Image]

I walked out to check it figuring maybe a muskrat had fired it:

[Linked Image]

This concludes my morning entertainment .

[Linked Image]

You do realize you're promoting the ultimate in "TRAPPING SLOTH" !!! laugh

Where do I sign up !!!! laugh

w
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Checking float from window - 04/07/20 05:07 PM

Big mistake you made.

Should have set two traps. cry eek
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Checking float from window - 04/07/20 06:32 PM

One is always better than none! WTG
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Checking float from window - 04/07/20 07:02 PM

I'm having more fun with my scent stations. LOL I'm headed out know to refresh them.

Re: Checking float from window - 04/08/20 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Northof50
Big mistake you made.

I usually have at least one foothold and another bodygripper on shore but I was not expecting action that soon. I am so lazy that one beaver a day is about perfect. The bait sticks were not touched after this one was caught so doubt any more came along last night.

Re: Checking float from window - 04/08/20 12:58 AM

Big mistake you made.

OK, you have gone and done it now....you have motivated me to set another 330 close to my shore.
Just got back from setting it before it got dark. I pulled the floating reed out of there after I took the picture.

[Linked Image]

Re: Checking float from window - 04/08/20 01:32 AM

Sure glad someone is chasing them.
Is this going to turn into a Lesters monolog like last year.?

Re: Checking float from window - 04/08/20 01:39 AM

Sure glad someone is chasing them.
Is this going to turn into a Lesters monolog like last year.?

I hope not. I am not chasing them...they are coming to me. I'm too lazy to do any serious chasing...maybe a little after the ice is gone and I can get a boat in.

Re: Checking float from window - 04/08/20 01:15 PM

Well, looks like it worked again last night. Keep coming you beavers.

[Linked Image]

Re: Checking float from window - 04/08/20 01:17 PM

coolthats awesome,i'm envious sir.
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: Checking float from window - 04/08/20 01:22 PM

Nice!

Mac
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: Checking float from window - 04/08/20 01:48 PM

As time goes on I find I enjoy checking my sets more and more while in the seat of the truck .You got that beat you do not even need to go out and get in a cold truck .Keep after them and stay warm

Re: Checking float from window - 04/08/20 01:52 PM

Well, looks like it worked again last night. Keep coming you beavers.

[Linked Image]

Great Picture
Posted By: 160user

Re: Checking float from window - 04/08/20 02:52 PM

It is nice to see open water! We are still running 4 wheelers on the ice here.

Re: Checking float from window - 04/08/20 02:55 PM

Nice dark one @ 33#. I must be really bored and starving for attention to be posting all of this stuff but it is something interesting to do while in isolation. I would be expanding my trapping with my truck but I don't want to get it dirty just yet.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Checking float from window - 04/08/20 02:57 PM

Beaver been sayin' oh snap long before it was cool. Your set took some elbow grease to build but I can see how it would pay for itself over and over again.

Re: Checking float from window - 04/08/20 02:59 PM

i will have a couple before next year,certainly have a use.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Checking float from window - 04/08/20 03:04 PM

With all this time on your hands it would be nice to show us how you build your float sets. Can give some of us something else to do instead of eating homemade bread all day.

Re: Checking float from window - 04/08/20 03:06 PM

grin

Re: Checking float from window - 04/08/20 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Jameson
With all this time on your hands it would be nice to show us how you build your float sets. Can give some of something else to do instead of eating homemade bread all day.

I wish I could but this is the only one I built and it was at least 4 or 5 years ago. I copied a design that 330trapper posted. I just sandwiched pink styrofoam between a couple of 2X4's and nailed them in a V to another stout board and put another board up for backing. I drilled holes for the guard sticks and zip tied them in place. I pit a pile of mud or boggy material on the platform and put scent on that and put a couple of Aspen bait sticks sticking up from a hole I drilled in the platform. Last year I stapled a piece of screen behind the trap to keep them from diving and coming in behind the trap since it happened to me once. The cross piece 2X4 was just stapled under there to temporarily make it sit level. Seems to work so far. If you look at my pictures you can get a better idea and work from that..Any different designs work this design is not carved in stone.

Re: Checking float from window - 04/08/20 03:33 PM

The cool thing about them is if you have your anchor cable attached to the front it will always point into the wind or current so the beaver will approach from the downwind or down current side where your open end and trap sits.

Re: Checking float from window - 04/08/20 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Jameson
With all this time on your hands it would be nice to show us how you build your float sets. Can give some of something else to do instead of eating homemade bread all day.

So what is the flavour of the bread coming through now ? Or has not lure been made for a week ?

I wish I could but this is the only one I built and it was at least 4 or 5 years ago. I copied a design that 330trapper posted. I just sandwiched pink styrofoam between a couple of 2X4's and nailed them in a V to another stout board and put another board up for backing. I drilled holes for the guard sticks and zip tied them in place. I pit a pile of mud or boggy material on the platform and put scent on that and put a couple of Aspen bait sticks sticking up from a hole I drilled in the platform. Last year I stapled a piece of screen behind the trap to keep them from diving and coming in behind the trap since it happened to me once. The cross piece 2X4 was just stapled under there to temporarily make it sit level. Seems to work so far. If you look at my pictures you can get a better idea and work from that..Any different designs work this design is not carved in stone.

Key ingredient high-lighted.

Re: Checking float from window - 04/21/20 02:49 PM

OK, I decided to give you an update since the Governor's stay at home order has kept me indoors watching my two sets from my window. It was slow the last week due to high winds from the wrong direction and super cold nights that had the lake skimming over with ice certain nights. The last 3 nights, however, have produced a beaver each night in one of the sets or the other. The score from home now is 6 beaver....three from each of the two sets. I might take the boat out today or tomorrow to look for new spots to set.

Re: Checking float from window - 04/21/20 02:51 PM

cool

Re: Checking float from window - 04/21/20 03:32 PM

Fantastic! I have yet to set a trap but might now that the cold is nearly over. I am certainly not going to work very hard for $10 beaver.

Re: Checking float from window - 04/21/20 03:44 PM

if you only make 10.00 ea on your beaver-shame on you. whistle

Re: Checking float from window - 04/21/20 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by pcr2
if you only make 10.00 ea on your beaver-shame on you. whistle

I would make less if I skinned the 4 beaver I would likely catch and then run a chest freezer until fall before I sell them. Local buyer is paying $10 nose count in the round.

Re: Checking float from window - 04/21/20 03:57 PM

undrstand,wish i was your buyer though.

Re: Checking float from window - 04/23/20 03:46 PM

Well, I looked out the window this morning and saw that the set is still working for me. The 5 sets I made the other day have produced 4 more beaver too. This set just keeps on keepin' on. This one was a large adult (43#).

[Linked Image]

If you look real close you can see where I have added a small bundle of fresh little popple sticks wired in the water just behind where the traps sits for added attraction.

Re: Checking float from window - 04/23/20 04:19 PM

Dang buggers are running around..Nice deal.

Mac

Re: Checking float from window - 04/24/20 11:28 AM

Same set this morning. Still keep coming. It looks like things got a little violent and some repairs are going to be needed. I suspect the victim is underwater in the 330. I will find out after I have my morning coffee.

[Linked Image]

Re: Checking float from window - 04/24/20 11:41 AM

i'm jealous for sure,i have to walk 50 yds to check mine at home.

tryin to figure out if you or Yotegetter have a better set up.dude wacks 40 or so coyotes out th back window when the doorbell rings from the motion detecter on the bait pile.

keep em comin sir.

Re: Checking float from window - 04/24/20 01:04 PM

What ja find?
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Checking float from window - 04/24/20 01:06 PM

Yoteguts, Mark!

Re: Checking float from window - 04/24/20 01:15 PM

Love it!

Mac

Re: Checking float from window - 04/24/20 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
What ja find?

I found that a square shy beaver had visited the set and had fired the 330 and climbed over the side and ate one of the bait sticks wrecking the side stick in the process. I set a MB 750 nearby on shore with a long chain and used different scents ( sac oil, popple bud oil and popple sticks) on it in case it comes back. It also avoided a nearby 330 on shore. It is on now.

I did pick up another beaver in a different set so was not skunked this morning anyway.
Posted By: jk

Re: Checking float from window - 04/24/20 03:35 PM

In your first photo the reflection makes it look like you are using 4 coiled 330s. Happy stay at home people......jk
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Checking float from window - 04/24/20 03:55 PM

Nice
Posted By: HILLTOP TRAPPER

Re: Checking float from window - 04/24/20 06:13 PM

just finished a couple last night,went off 330's picture in archives,but added wire to the bottom because of what mnman said.they are going in the water this weekend,hopeing for some fresh beaver meat!
Posted By: JSell

Re: Checking float from window - 04/24/20 09:20 PM

This looks like a contraption i should build for my dad. He's got the perfect location, and motivation level to pull something like this off.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums