Home

tick bite

Posted By: BuckMink

tick bite - 04/09/20 01:31 AM

Went fishing today and first time in my life I got bit good by a tick, I felt it on the way home on my side. As much time as I have spent in the woods never had one on me. they are horrible this year!

my question is, i took the tick out but it left a nasty welt/spot, what symptoms or things to watch for in the days/weeks ahead for lyme disease? i hit it with soap and hand sanitizer, supposingly its not likely i get it. Doesn't have a bulls eye ring around it. Blood test a couple weeks from now?
Posted By: MJM

Re: tick bite - 04/09/20 01:35 AM

A bulls will take a while to show up if it is going too. For me the welt is normal and it will last a while and itch. I would bet I have been bite by 100 of them a least. I have never got any thing from them that I know of.
Posted By: TrapperCarl78

Re: tick bite - 04/09/20 01:36 AM

As a Lyme patient I believe the parasite needs to be attached to the host around 24 hours plus for the disease to cross over. You should be fine. Treat your clothing and gear well in the future. I like Sawyer’s.
Posted By: The Possum Man

Re: tick bite - 04/09/20 01:39 AM

?? all this over a tick bite? if you get sick go see your doc. Ive been bitten a hundred times by them. They rappel from trees in fort riley kansas. Ticks all over the swamp in georgia plus lots of other biting critters. You will be fine.

Me and the wife used to check each other for ticks every time we went fishing. Its not a big deal.

Re: tick bite - 04/09/20 01:39 AM

ok, threw my clothes in the washer the moment i got home.. but still freaked me out never being bit by one before. thanks for the sawyers idea.
Posted By: snowy

Re: tick bite - 04/09/20 01:46 AM

^ you mean it was in-bedded in you right?? Was it completely under the skin or was it still sticking out out??

TrapperCarl78 is what I have been told also and if you read up on it, that is what they also say. Get them out early and have little chance of disease.

The only thing is if you completely got everything out when you removed the tick
Posted By: niteprowler

Re: tick bite - 04/09/20 01:52 AM

I don't beleive I know what Sawyer's is ? Can you explain further please ?
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: tick bite - 04/09/20 01:57 AM

Nrver been tick bit? How is that ccx even possible?????

You're gonna die...hope you have a. Will...

Jk. You might make it
Posted By: skippyturtle

Re: tick bite - 04/09/20 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by niteprowler
I don't beleive I know what Sawyer's is ? Can you explain further please ?

just a name of a company that sells tick repellant. no need to buy their high priced stuff when the active ingrediant is permetheran and can be bought in concentrate from ruralking, tsc or most any farm store. mix it in a spray bottle and spray your clothing same as you would with sawyers.
Posted By: K52

Re: tick bite - 04/09/20 02:30 AM

^^^^^^^^X2

Re: tick bite - 04/09/20 02:47 AM

funny. lol i mean surprisingly as much time as i have spent over the years im surprised i havnt been bit before.
Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
Nrver beeb tick bit? How is that ccx even possible?????

You're gonna die...hope you have a. Will...

Jk. You might make it

funny. lol i mean surprisingly as much time as i have spent over the years im surprised i havnt been bit before.
Posted By: CoonsBane

Re: tick bite - 04/09/20 02:49 AM

I tested positive for Lyme. I never found a bite or a tick on me. I had a bullseye show up on my calf. No bite, no tick. Tested positive twice in a row with two different tests. Went on a long course of antibiotics and eventually tested negative. I've dealt some things that are attributed to Lyme's disease. I don't know what to believe about it. Prevention is the best medicine I guess.

Re: tick bite - 04/09/20 02:58 AM

still sticking out i guess not completely buried. Not sure what it was at the moment just felt a pain in my side it was like a needle stabbing type of pain while driving and felt around and took my nail and dugged under and scraped it out and when i looked i realized then it was a tick.

Re: tick bite - 04/09/20 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by CoonsBane
I tested positive for Lyme. I never found a bite or a tick on me. I had a bullseye show up on my calf. No bite, no tick. Tested positive twice in a row with two different tests. Went on a long course of antibiotics and eventually tested negative. I've dealt some things that are attributed to Lyme's disease. I don't know what to believe about it. Prevention is the best medicine I guess.

What affects did it have on your body?
Posted By: tjm

Re: tick bite - 04/09/20 03:18 AM

Sawyer's isn't necessarily Permethrin, they also have DEET and Picaridin insect repellents and they make other stuff as well, best be specific when recommending brand names.The same company makes water filters and first aid kits.

10-20 ticks a day or 50 in an hour is about normal in this area. I just removed 7 and I was out walking for about half an hour.
Welts or no welts are about 50/50, most ticks are Dog ticks or Lone Star ticks that don't carry Lyme, but any bite can get infected as a skin break or you may get spotted fever, With thousands of tick bites in my past I have never gotten any serious disease from them.
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: tick bite - 04/09/20 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by The Possum Man
?? all this over a tick bite? if you get sick go see your doc. Ive been bitten a hundred times by them. They rappel from trees in fort riley kansas. Ticks all over the swamp in georgia plus lots of other biting critters. You will be fine.

Me and the wife used to check each other for ticks every time we went fishing. Its not a big deal.

X2
Posted By: Bigbuck

Re: tick bite - 04/09/20 03:43 AM

Most all the loggers that I know put Bounce Dryer Sheets in the tops of their boots, they say they never get ticks on them. I've tried it and didn't get any ticks on me either.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: tick bite - 04/09/20 04:05 AM

Hope you saved that tick. There will be a few tech trained to used PCR's after this epidemic to test that tick for bacterial infections . Always help to have DATA ie tick to know what you have had.

Re: tick bite - 04/09/20 11:17 AM

sounds good, just one of those "now what moments".. north, didnt save the tick but as mentioned before and reading 50 percent chance. cant do anything now anyways but just wondering what steps if any afterwards. thanks for the info.

i used dryer sheets all the time for mosquitos out in the woods but never for ticks, would rub myself down and shove it in my pocket, must deter ticks as well.
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: tick bite - 04/09/20 11:26 AM

What kind of traps u have?
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: tick bite - 04/09/20 11:34 AM

I've tested positive and had antibiotics twice for Lyme now but usually got welts from bites too. They carry so many other dieases u get infections just from the initial bite too. Here's what Sawyers looks like.

Attached picture 20200409_072806.jpg
Posted By: pcr2

Re: tick bite - 04/09/20 11:37 AM

i bite em back. wink
Posted By: 8117 Steve R

Re: tick bite - 04/09/20 11:38 AM

What type of tick was it, a deer tick or a wood tick? Up here, the wood ticks are fairly harmless but the deer ticks can carry lyme and other bad disease. I would not be concerned at all with a wood tick bite, only mildly concerned over an imbedded deer tick. I have gone through several bouts of antibiotic prescriptions for deer tick bites that showed the bulls eye markings. In fact, now as a normal precaution my doctor prescribes a few heavy doses right away without even testing as a prophylactic. Supposedly that cuts down on the percentage of cases that develop lyme desease.
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: tick bite - 04/09/20 11:49 AM

Fellow Ohioan here, you are going to be fine. Some folks get mosquito bit more than others. Same applies with ticks. Some folks you can’t tell where the tick was, others it looks like the plague. Worry will kill you faster.
Posted By: N.Roberts

Re: tick bite - 04/09/20 01:43 PM

If you scrapped it out, the head may still be in you and that will welt up some.

Lyme's is one of many things they can carry ... however, I wouldn't panic If you get a slight fever in a week, call the doc and tell them what happened. They will like Rx an antibiotic over the phone. My advice is watch for a fever (not a bad idea anyway now).

In the future, when you have one be careful how you pull it out. Slow and steady pull so that the head doesn't pop off.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: tick bite - 04/10/20 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by GROUSEWIT
What kind of traps u have?

Now that's messed up!
I scared the dog, I laughed so loud.
I got dibs on the truck.
I already have a wife I don't need.
Posted By: grayfox54

Re: tick bite - 04/10/20 12:31 AM

If the itch gets unbearable use this stuff. I had one imbedded on my arm the beginning of March, it itches like the blazes but this stuff works.

Attached picture 4F03239D-9149-4935-8F97-5E69ACE5DFFB.jpeg
Posted By: Squaretimber

Re: tick bite - 04/10/20 12:37 AM

Unfortunately I'm an expert. You can call doc now and they will get you doxy and a lite antibiotic and this is the safe way to go. If you wait and the bullseye rash develops or you start feeling sick the antibiotics are more harsh and you take them for longer

edit: like grey fox said, mine itch terribly for as long as a few months
Posted By: strike2x

Re: tick bite - 04/10/20 01:51 AM

Had first tick of the year on my dog today when checking traps and then drove home in a white out.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums