Home

Things I noticed at Walmart today

Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Things I noticed at Walmart today - 04/09/20 05:43 PM

Did my grocery shopping this morning. About 3/4 of customers didn’t wear mask. Very few used gloves (I was one of them that wore a pair). About 1/3 of the employees wore mask, remainder didn’t. One employee was adjusting the mask with her hands while it was on her face. One customer’s mask only covered her mouth and not her nose. I didn’t understand this one. One customer was in the check out line was touching her face with her hands while her husband coughed twice without covering his mouth. I was behind him and quickly changed lines. Some people entering the store near me didn't wipe off the cart handle with the antiseptic wipes. The young lady at the entrance using a counter to record how many people came in out of the store said they allow 1,000 customers in the store at one time. This surprised me since I didn’t realize you can get that much social distancing with that many people.
I wondered if the virus was on the food containers, how long will it last on them and will refrigeration cause the virus to last longer? Should all the stores containers be wiped with soap and water when we get home and should the plastic storage bags be thrown out?
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: Things I noticed at Walmart today - 04/09/20 05:48 PM

For those who wear disposable gloves while shopping, do you remove them when you get your wallet out, then put on a fresh pair when you're done? If not you wallet could be contaminated.
Posted By: swift4me

Re: Things I noticed at Walmart today - 04/09/20 05:52 PM

When I shop here I carry a bottle of alcohol in my pocket and clean my hands and face several times in the store. Here we are calm and the shelves are well stocked.

No cases in our part of France so we are lucky.

Pete

Re: Things I noticed at Walmart today - 04/09/20 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Dobbins
For those who wear disposable gloves while shopping, do you remove them when you get your wallet out, then put on a fresh pair when you're done? If not you wallet could be contaminated.

Actually, I thought about it while I was doing it since this is the first time I wore gloves. Then I thought if I was not wearing gloves the virus or even germs would still be on my hands when I took the card out of the wallet. Plus, if I took off the gloves to take the card out the wallet, the pencil thing to plug in the debit card/credit card number has to be touched.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Things I noticed at Walmart today - 04/09/20 06:00 PM

After all that I sure hope you wore your seatbelt on the way home.

Re: Things I noticed at Walmart today - 04/09/20 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Grandpa Trapper

Actually, I thought about it while I was doing it since this is the first time I wore gloves. Then I thought if I was not wearing gloves the virus or even germs would still be on my hands when I took the card out of the wallet. Plus, if I took off the gloves to take the card out the wallet, the pencil thing to plug in the debit card/credit card number has to be touched.

That's why I use hand sanitizer instead of gloves. I keep a small spray bottle of it in my pocket and use it frequently.
Posted By: tlguy

Re: Things I noticed at Walmart today - 04/09/20 06:05 PM

When I pump gas, I'm using a glove on one hand that touches the nozzle and keypad. I use my unloved hand to open my truck's gas cap and insert my card into the pump. When I'm done, take the glove off and toss it in the trash next to the pump. Then hand sanitizer when I'm back in the truck.

Re: Things I noticed at Walmart today - 04/09/20 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by tlguy
When I pump gas, I'm using a glove on one hand that touches the nozzle and keypad. I use my unloved hand to open my truck's gas cap and insert my card into the pump. When I'm done, take the glove off and toss it in the trash next to the pump. Then hand sanitizer when I'm back in the truck.

I do it the same way. An advantage most of us trappers have is a good supply of gloves.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Things I noticed at Walmart today - 04/09/20 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by tlguy

Unloved hand??? I would think left or right would be a good enough description for most of us.
Posted By: Kansas Cat

Re: Things I noticed at Walmart today - 04/09/20 06:15 PM

Is your "unloved" hand your right or your left hand?

Re: Things I noticed at Walmart today - 04/09/20 06:16 PM

Kansas guys must think alike and have too much time on their hands.
Posted By: elkaholic

Re: Things I noticed at Walmart today - 04/09/20 06:18 PM

Put a couple Q-tips in a plastic ziploc baggie. When you gotta put your pin in pull out a Q-tip and use it instead of your finger.
Posted By: tlguy

Re: Things I noticed at Walmart today - 04/09/20 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Kansas Cat
Kansas guys must think alike and have too much time on their hands.

No "unloved" hands in Kansas!
Posted By: Bogmaster

Re: Things I noticed at Walmart today - 04/09/20 06:20 PM

Probably not the only thing on their hands__LOL
Tom
Posted By: Kart29

Re: Things I noticed at Walmart today - 04/09/20 06:22 PM

I just go to the store like normal and then wash my hands real good when I get home.

Re: Things I noticed at Walmart today - 04/09/20 06:32 PM

Hey, don't cast aspersions at Kansas guys. We just pointed out that tiguy had an "unloved" hand. LOL.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Things I noticed at Walmart today - 04/09/20 06:35 PM

Too good of a typo not to have a little fun with
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Things I noticed at Walmart today - 04/09/20 06:42 PM

I clean my hands with soap and hot water as much as I can.I can't wear a mask due to my asthma.
Posted By: The Possum Man

Re: Things I noticed at Walmart today - 04/09/20 06:55 PM

most dont wear gloves properly. I saw a woman at walmart who was all gloved up at the check out line...swipes her phone to answer it and then stuck it on her face. Then she dug out her card from her wallet..used the pin pad and then walked off. All i could do was just shake my head. She would have been better off just using hand sanitizer. All she accomplished is feeling like she is safe when she probably just made it worse and less sanitary. Plus her gloves had holes all in them. Masks are just feel good measures for people that arent sick. Most people are gonna use unsanitized hands to touch their face to take off the mask. At best it just keeps people from spitting while talking or coughing.

Im not wearing gloves. I dont have enough to keep throwing them away every time i touch one thing and need to touch another. Im not wearing a mask either unless i have a cough. I will continue to use hand sanitizer and continue to sanitize my throat with rum till its over.
Posted By: DWC

Re: Things I noticed at Walmart today - 04/09/20 06:56 PM

Been wondering how many wally world allowed in now. 1000 people still seems like more than a normal day that im there.

Re: Things I noticed at Walmart today - 04/09/20 07:00 PM

I’m thinking hand sanitizer is the way to go instead of gloves. One problem, when you have very dry skin, you can wear your hands raw. Plus stings like crazy when you get cuts in your hands from the dryness. Also, where are you getting it? The stores around here have been out of it for weeks.
Posted By: TreedaBlackdog

Re: Things I noticed at Walmart today - 04/09/20 07:56 PM

I don't go to walmart but usually once a year. I have not worn a mask or gloves as it is not cold enough. I did catch some nice crappie and bluegill today and getting ready to find more morels...
Posted By: TreedaBlackdog

Re: Things I noticed at Walmart today - 04/09/20 07:58 PM

I am more concerned with this frost warning tonight and covering tulips and protecting my bee splits I made. This impacts me. Fear of a virus - I do not live in fear of it.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Things I noticed at Walmart today - 04/09/20 08:02 PM

Watch people eyes when your at the store it's kind of funny the looks people get when they see you round a corner. Reminds a guy of high noon in a bad western some scared faces like the towns people's look or the "this is MY isle!" look the stare down begins. LOL
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Things I noticed at Walmart today - 04/09/20 08:03 PM

The stores were not out of sanitizer in January when this first hit the news. You had to get it in the pharmacy and only one bottle per customer.
Our stores limited it to 50 shopping carts and each one was picked up in the parking lot and sanitized after use.....surprise surprise they are not loosing any to apartment dwellers dash and run guys.
They announced their floor people are getting an extra $2/ hour wage and 50$ week bonus if they stay on in Canada.
One grocery store had a c19 sick employee and the store was closed for 48 hours to de-sanitize.....not many line-ups there
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Things I noticed at Walmart today - 04/09/20 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by TreedaBlackdog
I am more concerned with this frost warning tonight and covering tulips and protecting my bee splits I made. This impacts me. Fear of a varroa virus - My bees live in fear of it.

Auto-correct

Re: Things I noticed at Walmart today - 04/09/20 08:11 PM

I’m thinking hand sanitizer is the way to go instead of gloves. One problem, when you have very dry skin, you can wear your hands raw. Plus stings like crazy when you get cuts in your hands from the dryness. Also, where are you getting it? The stores around here have been out of it for weeks.

You can make your own. 75 percent 190 proof everclear and 25 percent aloe.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Things I noticed at Walmart today - 04/09/20 08:17 PM

i wear my blue blockers in wal mart for fear of what i might see.
Posted By: wy.wolfer

Re: Things I noticed at Walmart today - 04/09/20 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Kansas Cat
Is your "unloved" hand your right or your left hand?

That's the left hand in unloved parts of the world
Posted By: BuckMink

Re: Things I noticed at Walmart today - 04/09/20 08:28 PM

our local grocery store has everything we need, even TP and meat. walmart is still out of most things.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Things I noticed at Walmart today - 04/09/20 08:38 PM

wallet is absolutely contaminated and left at the door when returning home as are keys.

most places don't even want cash right now , so taking the check card and one credit card out as backup and only using that is a good idea as it is easier to wipe down 2 cards than it is quarantine your wallet for some.

Re: Things I noticed at Walmart today - 04/09/20 08:47 PM

That's why I use hand sanitizer instead of gloves. I keep a small spray bottle of it in my pocket and use it frequently.

when I am just going to one place I have my little bottle of spray 70% rubbing alcohol and lanolin oil 10:1 at 5:1 with 91% alcohol or 99% I call it case lube for reloading so I had the ingredients on hand when this stared.

haven't been able to get any additional alcohol since 3/14 so if I am going out for a big grocery run like 3/14 3/28 and 4/11 I wear gloves and use bleach spray , I also clean down the cart out in the parking lot with my bleach spray

yes as trappers most of use had a supply of gloves

Re: Things I noticed at Walmart today - 04/09/20 08:58 PM

the other thing people forget is their phone is contaminated once they take it out in a store.

put on a headset before you leave.

answer your calls on speaker phone. preferably answering , I am at the store and you are on speaker phone as the greeting.

or let it go to voice make and check it later
Posted By: Marty

Re: Things I noticed at Walmart today - 04/09/20 09:08 PM

Just wipe the gloves down with a disinfecting wipe before you handle your wallet.....use the same wipe after you use the pin pad...just carry a few wipes and periodically wipe down the gloves and pay attention to what your doing when handling things that are yours when wearing them, disinfect accordingly. A good and saturated wipe will leave the gloves a little wet and allow some time for the stuff to work....small spray bottle of commercial or home brewed stuff in a pocket will do the same thing.....
Posted By: Huntall76

Re: Things I noticed at Walmart today - 04/09/20 09:30 PM

Gloves serve little purpose with this virus. You don't absorb it into your skin . If you have gloves on and touch the virus then touch your face you still get the virus. When I do anything in public I have a mask on and carry 1 or 2 Clorox whips with me . I wipe down shopping cart and go about my business keeping my wipes and if I fill the need to touch my face I wipe my hands and touch my face . If something that leaves my wallet it gets wiped off before going back in. Load my car whip my hands again and toss the whip on the floorboard and go . That's about the best we can do at the moment, good luck.

Thankfully we are trappers and for most of us we are accustom to self distancing
Posted By: RdFx

Re: Things I noticed at Walmart today - 04/09/20 09:35 PM

1/3 CUP BLEACH TO ONE GALLON WATER MAKES A DISINFECTANT FOR SPRAY BOTTLES FOR USE IN HOME OR ON THE ROAD. SOAK WET WIPES IN GALLON JAR THEN PUT IN SMALLER CONTAINERS. YOUR OWN DISENFECTANT alot cheaper
Posted By: RdFx

Re: Things I noticed at Walmart today - 04/09/20 09:36 PM

1/3 CUP BLEACH TO ONE GALLON WATER MAKES A DISINFECTANT FOR SPRAY BOTTLES FOR USE IN HOME OR ON THE ROAD. SOAK WET WIPES IN GALLON JAR THEN PUT IN SMALLER CONTAINERS. YOUR OWN DISENFECTANT alot cheaper

Re: Things I noticed at Walmart today - 04/09/20 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by RdFx

that is one of the things I have been using , also have some alcohol in a spray bottle and some hydrogen peroxide in a spay bottle

but the 1/3 cup bleach to 1 gallon of water is definitely the most cost effective and available

I keep it in spray bottles around the house and one lives in my cup holder now.

I have a box of the paper towel type shop rags in the back seat of my truck
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Things I noticed at Walmart today - 04/09/20 09:42 PM

You can say that again!

Re: Things I noticed at Walmart today - 04/09/20 09:42 PM

I walk through the store backwards so the germs hit my backside instead of my face.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Things I noticed at Walmart today - 04/09/20 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
You can say that again!

give the guy a break,he's tryin. wink

Re: Things I noticed at Walmart today - 04/09/20 09:48 PM

pcr2....you're kinda a smart arse. I like that.....
Posted By: Marty

Re: Things I noticed at Walmart today - 04/09/20 10:07 PM

I think it is easier to remove gloves and get rid of anything on them...than to wash your hands that well. Also very strong disinfectants not for use on hands....probably a good idea to read the directions. You can periodically clean gloves with some very strong stuff.....stuff that if absorbed by your skin is not good for you.....virus that can live on a surface for 10 days may be hard to kill and you might need some very strong stuff to do that. Anyone have any facts that say normal hand sanitizer kills kung flu with a quick wipe in 30 seconds?
© 2024 Trapperman Forums