Home

Bout had it with Ebay

Posted By: lumberjack391

Bout had it with Ebay - 04/13/20 05:45 PM

Havent listed much on ebay lately, figured today I would list away. First item was a vintage gunrack, the kind we use to have against our rear pickup windows back in the day. Went to hit submit and this big military pop-up surfaces saying hitler, Nazi, swastika blah, blah, blah. OK, warning heeded but not necessary. The kicker was I couldn't hit submit, go forward but if I hit the back button everything erased. I figured a bot picked up on the word GUN and went to revise without it to no avail. Tried a different category in vain. Guess I will throw all this stuff in the trash, cant have a garage sale, that would be human contact.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Bout had it with Ebay - 04/13/20 05:54 PM

Ebay is a joke today I stopped using them years ago.
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: Bout had it with Ebay - 04/13/20 07:15 PM

I use eBay on a daily basis and hardly ever have a problem. Great place to buy and sell.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Bout had it with Ebay - 04/13/20 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
Ebay is a joke today I stopped using them years ago.

Ditto
Posted By: nyrat

Re: Bout had it with Ebay - 04/13/20 08:04 PM

same here
Posted By: MINK I LOVE

Re: Bout had it with Ebay - 04/13/20 08:46 PM

Did you try listing your item as Vintage Storage Rack. Most Times that does work for folks that I know that sell items of that nature.

-Randy-
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Bout had it with Ebay - 04/13/20 08:49 PM

When you do sell something their fees are Extreme

Re: Bout had it with Ebay - 04/13/20 09:06 PM

They got so bad you could not sell a empty shotgun shell or a shotgun choke even that was it for me, AR lower parts kits were not allowed even it got that crazy and PayPal was not much better.

Re: Bout had it with Ebay - 04/13/20 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper

And the buyer can flat out rob you and they know it.

Re: Bout had it with Ebay - 04/13/20 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper

That's why they call it FEEBAY!
Posted By: kevtrap

Re: Bout had it with Ebay - 04/13/20 09:23 PM

I quit even looking at ebay years ago.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Bout had it with Ebay - 04/13/20 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Nittany Lion
I use eBay on a daily basis and hardly ever have a problem. Great place to buy and sell.

X2
Posted By: newtoga

Re: Bout had it with Ebay - 04/13/20 09:35 PM

X3
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Bout had it with Ebay - 04/13/20 10:19 PM

I hardly ever sell on Ebay but I do a lot of buying there, rarely have a problem.

Wife does a lot of selling on Craigslist and I buy from there sometimes.
Posted By: Bass1

Re: Bout had it with Ebay - 04/13/20 10:56 PM

We used to call those the 'easy rider' gun rack, from the movie. Maybe list it as vintage 'easy rider' rack. Guys like me will know what your talking about.

Re: Bout had it with Ebay - 04/14/20 12:55 AM

I got it on...…...Had to omit gun which I thought would be a key word...…..will try easy rider tomorrow when I get a chance, thanks
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Bout had it with Ebay - 04/14/20 01:02 AM

I never tried to buy or sell anything gun related on eBay. What a stupid policy.
Posted By: tlguy

Re: Bout had it with Ebay - 04/14/20 01:10 AM

Can you sell bows on Ebay? I'm getting sick of all the spam responses I get from craigslist so I've been selling more on Facebook marketplace, but you can't list anything gun related, and no bows.

There are good deals to be had on both, but you have to be quick and ready to go get it right away. The sportspal canoe I bought came from craigslist and I somehow still got it even though it was almost a week after I originally contacted the seller.
Posted By: bwtrapper

Re: Bout had it with Ebay - 04/14/20 01:14 AM

I'm sure you can sell.bows. I sell on ebay and have never had a problem

Re: Bout had it with Ebay - 04/14/20 01:17 AM

You can sell bows and anything gun related except for receiver parts, last I had any which wasn't too long ago.
Posted By: Rats!

Re: Bout had it with Ebay - 04/14/20 01:31 AM

I love selling on eBay. Need to call out MINK I LOVE.10% fee on what you sell. There is nowhere else you can sell for such a small commission. I sell at consignment stores and flea markets as well as eBay. Nobody can beat eBay with millions of buyers. I sell at Gold Rush Flea Market Rochester, MN. Costs me about $200. Bring home $700 on a good weekend. Way more than the 10% eBay charges. In addition, no packing, unpacking, pricing every tiny item which I do for flea markets.
Folks who complain FEEBAY are simply unrealistic. Your alternative is a what? Garage Sale?
Posted By: keystone

Re: Bout had it with Ebay - 04/14/20 01:51 AM

I’ve bought and sold alot of things on ebay, a bunch of gun parts too. Mostly bought but i’ve done quite well on selling things on there too. As far as buying you have to watch the feedback, most anyone that has a bunch of good feedback is not going to rip you off and in my experience will do anything to make things right if something comes up. As far as selling i’ve done best when i do free shipping and i always make sure to end the auctions on thursday evening. Most people are gonna have a paycheck coming the next day.

Re: Bout had it with Ebay - 04/14/20 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by Rats!
I love selling on eBay. Need to call out MINK I LOVE.10% fee on what you sell. There is nowhere else you can sell for such a small commission. I sell at consignment stores and flea markets as well as eBay. Nobody can beat eBay with millions of buyers. I sell at Gold Rush Flea Market Rochester, MN. Costs me about $200. Bring home $700 on a good weekend. Way more than the 10% eBay charges. In addition, no packing, unpacking, pricing every tiny item which I do for flea markets.
Folks who complain FEEBAY are simply unrealistic. Your alternative is a what? Garage Sale?

Don't forget the 2.9% + .30 for Paypal…….

Re: Bout had it with Ebay - 04/14/20 02:28 AM

Wasn't calling anyone out...….But the Paypal fees are a must when figuring out fees.

Re: Bout had it with Ebay - 04/14/20 02:30 AM

Looked at Ebay still no shotgun hulls or AR parts kits but I did see chokes and barrels listed now.

Re: Bout had it with Ebay - 04/14/20 02:31 AM

Ok. My Bad.

Re: Bout had it with Ebay - 04/14/20 02:37 AM

It’s probably changed 10 times in the last 10 years so it’s tough to keep up with the ebb and flow.

Re: Bout had it with Ebay - 04/14/20 02:43 AM

If its been that many years since you used it, one thing that may have changed since- is the customer/buyer is always right. They can return items for any reason, even buyers remorse, or say if they found one cheaper, ANYTHING.
Posted By: Chuckles84

Re: Bout had it with Ebay - 04/14/20 02:43 AM

I sell on ebay regularly, i have between 40 to 50 items listed most of the time. Those that say fees are high, try to go out and open a brick and mortar store and pay all the overhead costs that comes with a physical location, 10% is a drop in the bucket. Websites arent free and dont run theirselves, it all costs money that had to be made somehow.
Everyone that hates ebay screams scammers. Out of a thousand or so sales I can say I have been scammed once, and I should of have caught on, but my spidey sense didnt kick in till it was to late. But I had so little invested in the utem it wasnt worth fighting over it.
Ebay had a rough patch where they had a lot of bad sellers, they permantly bannned a lot of sellers quite a few years ago. If its been a while since you have used ebay you should try it again.
I hope in the next few years I will be able to make a full time living from ebay sales.

Re: Bout had it with Ebay - 04/14/20 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by lumberjack391
If its been that many years since you used it, one thing that may have changed since- is the customer/buyer is always right. They can return items for any reason, even buyers remorse, or say if they found one cheaper, ANYTHING.

Offer free returns. I know, I know it sounds crazy. I offer 30 day free returns and have not seen an increase in returns. In fact I cannot remember my last return. The other plus is if you offer free returns ebay allows you to issue partial refunds, so if they list the reason as "changed my mind" you can subtract the return shipping from their refund. Or if it was a brand new item and they used it then I believe you can go as far as only issuing a 50% refund.

Re: Bout had it with Ebay - 04/14/20 02:54 AM

It’s like anything if you get in and go through all of the changes your outlook is different then the guy starting later in the game being new to the rules with the fee increases and customer domination outlook.

No interest in ever going back and the same with gunbroker I played fair and because of others that did not and everyone was punished with new rules and fees.

Re: Bout had it with Ebay - 04/14/20 02:55 AM

They never go into detail about the real reason for returns, just the "item not as described". Unscrupulous buyers will win a new item, use it and say "item was used". I offer returns buyer pays return shipping. One question, who decides what percentage you deduct if they say "changed my mind" or "used a new item" and decided to return it?

Re: Bout had it with Ebay - 04/14/20 02:55 AM

Question for Ebay Sellers. How do you do that with Taxes meaning how do you file?
Posted By: strike2x

Re: Bout had it with Ebay - 04/14/20 03:04 AM

Insole in the old days, I won't sell now. eBay is on the buyers side so if they say there is a problem the seller looses. I do still buy on eBay because I know if have a problem eBay has my back. I believe eBay collects sales tax and files it because they are the actual store. Everyone is just selling on conseinment.
Posted By: tjm

Re: Bout had it with Ebay - 04/14/20 03:34 AM

Great place to buy. But for every thing that is a bargain, the same item is sold by another dealer for three times the value, or the shipping is three times actual cost. Need to know your item and the value.
Posted By: DanN

Re: Bout had it with Ebay - 04/14/20 03:40 AM

You about have to give things away on ebay because shipping the item costs so much. USPS is getting carried away with what they charging for postage.

Re: Bout had it with Ebay - 04/14/20 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by lumberjack391
They never go into detail about the real reason for returns, just the "item not as described". Unscrupulous buyers will win a new item, use it and say "item was used". I offer returns buyer pays return shipping. One question, who decides what percentage you deduct if they say "changed my mind" or "used a new item" and decided to return it?

If you offer free returns, the amount withheld is up to you the seller. Ebay does however cap the amount you can deduct and I believe the limit is 50%.

Re: Bout had it with Ebay - 04/14/20 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by MINK I LOVE
Question for Ebay Sellers. How do you do that with Taxes meaning how do you file?

I have a full time job and sell on ebay for extra income. I keep track of expenses and use godaddy book keeping which is linked to my ebay account. So it automatically pulls info for all sales including fees(ebay&paypal), shipping costs, etc. Then I input cost of goods sold as they sell. I could keep fuel receipts and track mileage but I dont mess with that at this point. My CPA could even write off home office space because I sell online. As far the actual forms, I dont know I just drop it off at the CPA and pick it up.

Re: Bout had it with Ebay - 04/14/20 11:03 AM

EBay does collect and pay the sales tax. As for income tax I compile the information and turn it over to H & R Block. As for fees I think what has been said is pretty much right on. I figure having the millions of eBay buyers as potential customers off sets their fee schedule. My only complaint is they collect their commission on shipping fees in addition to the selling fee. There are some sellers that charge a high shipping fee so that is why they do that. I always try to charge actual shipping fees. On the other hand the shipping fees when using eBay shipping are discounted, so that is nice.

Re: Bout had it with Ebay - 04/14/20 11:53 AM

I always charged actual shipping and like lawdog said, played by the rules but got caught up by the few that cheated the system. I feel charging fees on shipping is the most criminal corrupt thing going.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Bout had it with Ebay - 04/14/20 11:57 AM

I ordered parts once and haven’t been back. Not impressed
Posted By: corky

Re: Bout had it with Ebay - 04/14/20 12:23 PM

I buy things there all the time and never had a problem. Never returned anything although once a seller sent me the wrong item. I contacted them and they said just keep it and sent me the correct item with no hassle. I only order from sellers with a high rating and history. Never sold anything so no opinion on that.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Bout had it with Ebay - 04/14/20 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by tjm
Great place to buy. But for every thing that is a bargain, the same item is sold by another dealer for three times the value, or the shipping is three times actual cost. Need to know your item and the value.

X2
Posted By: timbremn

Re: Bout had it with Ebay - 04/14/20 01:06 PM

I just use trap shed.

Re: Bout had it with Ebay - 04/14/20 01:08 PM

Not sure about now but the cheap item with high shipping was because you pay fees on the item and not the shipping costs.

Re: Bout had it with Ebay - 04/14/20 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
Not sure about now but the cheap item with high shipping was because you pay fees on the item and not the shipping costs.

As I stated earlier that is my one complaint, now days you pay the commission on the item and the shipping cost. That was eBay's way of putting a stop to low cost items and high shipping cost. It hurt people like myself that charged for shipping what it really did cost.
Posted By: yote_trapper20

Re: Bout had it with Ebay - 04/14/20 01:18 PM

Use to buy and sell on eBay. Stopped the selling part pretty much when ebay went pro buyers. Still buy from eBay periodically but most of my selling is done on Facebook marketplace.
Posted By: DiggerDale

Re: Bout had it with Ebay - 04/14/20 01:28 PM

If you are just the common Joe selling stuff on ebay, You can sell up to $20,000 in a year with no tax implications. After that you will get a 1099 and will have to deal with the IRS.

Re: Bout had it with Ebay - 04/14/20 02:37 PM

Thanks DiggerDale for the helpful info and all others to. Stay Safe!

-Randy-
Posted By: nramemb

Re: Bout had it with Ebay - 04/14/20 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Nittany Lion

Me to

I dont like there stupid rules but its there playground and there rules.
everything they wont allow I sell elsewhere.

Ive been suspended a time or two little do they know when they suspend me it just pushes people to my auctions

Biggest selling platform out there.

Ive tried gunbroker and others but just not a good result

Re: Bout had it with Ebay - 04/15/20 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by DiggerDale

If you are just the common Joe selling stuff on ebay, You can sell up to $20,000 in a year with no tax implications. After that you will get a 1099 and will have to deal with the IRS.

Im pretty sure you have to deal with the IRS whether you get get any paperwork from ebay or not. You are suppose to anyway, it is income...….
© 2024 Trapperman Forums